Angel 2?

43 replies to this topic

#21 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:44 AM

The event is still going until 3pm pst. Liao never got a 12 man. I saw a screenshot of win one sitting at 11 players and the wait time was over an hour.

I'll try to hop in when I get home but I'm feeling really tired having worked all night. Its my Friday at least but the window isniust so short for this

#22 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in England

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:17 AM

I'm on with 8 in the que now 30 min wait time though lol

#23 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:08 AM

I am fighting the clans all the time no matter the odds
need just 1 more game to get rank 16

#24 JetFire747

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:10 AM

30 min. of waiting and only 6 players....awful :(

#25 Koshirou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 827 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:39 AM

View PostSyncline, on 02 September 2015 - 11:48 PM, said:

I don't normally play games for the rewards. I normally play games for the fun of it. I've a suspicion that the reason nobody plays CW any more is for the same reason I don't: it's not fun any more. A big reward is a nice incentive, but it's not worth grinding for, and potentially not even receiving, if I'm not enjoying myself during the grind. Ergo, I'm not going to put any real effort into it.

Yep. As I said on the occasion of the last CW event: Community warfare is not intrinsically rewarding, thus the need to prop it up by extrinsic rewards.

The faults with CW as I see them are these:

1. Lacks campaigns with goals, start points and end points.
2. Lacks balance on a strategic and match level.
3. Lacks varied tactical gameplay modes.
4. Lacks rewards and incentives for individual players.
5. Does not involve all the factions on an equal footing.
6. Caters primarily to Mercs, ultimately rendering factions meaningless.

Temporary and partial fixes to a single one of these flaws (No. 4 in this case) do not constitute an improvement to CW overall.

This is especially true if you try to insert these "fixes" after months of CW being neglected and the majority of factions being reduced to punching bags. I think we are long past the point where most people have given up on this phase of this phase of CW at the very least. This is a game - people are not going to wait forever for improvements, they are just going to move on at some point.

TL;DR: Too little, too late.

#26 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:41 AM

We did win the 12-man light rush but remember that was against other IS factions.

The Arctic Cheeters are a different matter entirely. Even base turrets can't hit at them.

And this, is ignoring the typical dropdeck of 2 Hellbringers and 2 Stormcrows of theirs.

CW is great, and yeah we have won a lot against them, but certainly not at 50-50.

#27 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

the event shows the mettle of Marik in CW and this mettle is: fail
to get this going we do not need rewards, the problem is PGI is not able to get in more players, hopefully with the new education training grounds more new players will understand how to fight and stay
you buy you clan mechs and some weapons and your ready, too many players do not understand how to build IS mechs
you MUST upgrade them
I heard the other day something like i cannot upgrade because i build meta mecs. Duh? does that mean you stuff your mech with weapons and heat sinks and have no space to upgrade FFArmour or Endosteel even? hopefully you do double heat sinks at least. and then what? you put a tiny engine inside?
you should know that even without any heat sinks but with double heat sinks efficiency is better, check this: for some mechs removing 4 standard heat sinks and replacing them with a bigger engine with just 1 additional double heat sink inside the engine gets you more heat efficiency.
and there are sooooo many other thinks unknown by the average IS pilot, who eventually does good damage in CW by using his team as meat shield only, but when it comes to getting in the line of fire he folds
today i saw something that is obsolete for many months only recruits open both gates at the cold map, to let the enemy flank them better
Marik was a force only when we had some generals to command the bad pilots, who are otherwise able to play as a team and this brought us some victories

#28 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:36 AM

This is a great incentive to get folks back involved with CW, but the timing (middle of the work week?) and short time frame make it almost impossible for groups to come back together and do it. Perhaps have these types of Faction incentive events on the weekend, starting on Fridays and ending Sunday at midnight?

I for one did not see this until last night at bedtime, so I unfortunately have to miss it (work today!)

And yes, I can be bribed. ;)

Edited by Joshua McEvedy, 03 September 2015 - 04:40 AM.

#29 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:45 AM

Tried for a few earlier, not much luck though. was a fun scrap all the same. this sort of thing needs 3 days or so.

View PostJavenri, on 02 September 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

I will give it a try today. I haven't played CW since I started playing again from a 6-month break. The one time 4 mil. C-bills is not an incentive but if we win this might make some Marik players return. After the massive quits from FWLM, the game is not the same for me...

Some of us are still around matey, i must admit i'm not on as much as i used to be. will look out for ya :)

#30 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:53 AM

View PostDavers, on 02 September 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, if 4 million Cbills isn't enough to get you to care about taking a planet, I am not sure what realistic rewards PGI could inspire you with.
How about 300 MC ? B)

#31 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:00 AM

How about 300 tons of space bacon? ;)

#32 masCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 407 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:11 AM

I'd do it for MechBays. Not for 4 mil cbills.

But you guys are right. It is not fun.

#33 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

In the middle of the week I could only put in 3 drops. We won 1 against one of the worst pug groups I have seen. One loss was a good fight and lost by 4. The 3rd game was one step away from a stomp. We gave good, but they were a lot better.

My frustration was with the mode we played everytime. We did not attack in one of those matches. We were always on defend of a counter attack. It may have been bad luck, but I was honestly looking forward to an attack.

Based upon my experience in beta 2, I am no longer a fan of current counter attack system. I'm not sure how it needs to work, but I know it's not working right. While I played last night we never got past 7%. That was very demoralizing.

#34 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

CW is tortuous to play and it shows by the lack of participation. PGI should do something and I am glad they are. I would like to see CW being fun again.

#35 Blaze32

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostDavers, on 02 September 2015 - 09:25 PM, said:

But Davion alone has over 500 planets. Are they all going to give 5% bonuses? Not to mention a 5% discount on mechs that you only have to buy once isn't much of an incentive. And weapons? I have so many laying around (I think I have 80 medium lasers in storage) that 5% discounts means nothing. So a few thousand Cbills a week would make it worthwhile, but getting several years worth up front (4,000,000 Cbills) is not?

did you read what he said though.... he said "[color=#959595]. Heck, make some of them give just a weekly cbill bonus to any member of the faction that owns the planet[/color]" which does not mean they all get it probably it would be just SOME planets on the borders of all the factions

#36 sdsnowbum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

View PostKifferson von doober, on 03 September 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

I went to bed before i saw the news last night, sorry. Maybe a bit more notice would help, not sure how many of us check in daily at the mo.
Also doin it directly after a weekend promo where we got up to 500,000 extra per match probably didn't help lol :)
Anyone know if liao had better luck with it?

Liao did have better luck but the defenders on Sarna were Davion.

Right now they are about to lose Sarna, to Jade Falcon, I believe on the very next attack phase after winning it from Davion.

So yeah...

#37 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

Somehow the comm announcement made me feel worse. Sort of like rubbing salt in an open wound. I feel like Charlie brown after Lucy swiped the football out from under him.

Edited by Duncan1dah0, 04 September 2015 - 05:19 AM.

#38 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

View PostSyncline, on 02 September 2015 - 11:48 PM, said:

I don't normally play games for the rewards. I normally play games for the fun of it. I've a suspicion that the reason nobody plays CW any more is for the same reason I don't: it's not fun any more. A big reward is a nice incentive, but it's not worth grinding for, and potentially not even receiving, if I'm not enjoying myself during the grind. Ergo, I'm not going to put any real effort into it.

I am not talking about how fun CW is (or isn't). The person I replied to merely stated that 4 million Cbills wasn't incentive enough compared to other (and in my opinion lesser/unreasonable) rewards.

View PostBrother MEX, on 03 September 2015 - 04:53 AM, said:

How about 300 MC ? B)

I wonder why Liao got a different deal than us. Maybe they are even worse off on players?

#39 MistWalker

Rookie

• Sergeant-Major
  • Sergeant-Major
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

IMO, really, no, the 4 mil at one time would not. I was able to get that much over the weekend event and enjoyed it much more than I would have trying to grind in CW. But that is just me.

The discounts on weapons and mechs may not make much of a difference to you, and not all that much to me as well, but for new players, it could make a difference. And sometimes just the incentive would be worth it. Showing that there is an actual point to playing CW over the long run would make it much more enjoyable.

But, as I said, that is just my opinion.

#40 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

https://youtu.be/o3ZXNCV1TA0?t=65

Edited by Vlad Ward, 03 September 2015 - 07:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users