Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hello MechWarriors!

I have a conundrum I simply cannot seem to solve myself. Here are my PC Specs:

Motherboard: MSI-7522
CPU: Intel i7-960 3.2 ghz Quad Core
GPU: Sapphire HD Radeon 7970
RAM: 16 gb
DirectX 11

I only recently ran into this particular issue. Whenever I boot up Mechwarrior now I seem to only get a maximum FPS of 20, but this is only recent. I can run The Witcher 3 at high settings without any FPS issues at all. When I delete and re-install my video drivers the system once again is able to run the game at approximately 60 FPS. Even so, within one match it goes back to 20 FPS maximum and the game is barely playable. I have run all sorts of virus-scans, downclocked the GPU, played around with graphics settings and still no different results. My system does on occasion tend to run hot (card is currently idling at 50 deg. C, but I've seen it idle at 70 deg. C.), but I dust-clean as often as I can. Most recent was today. I took everything apart, blasted it clean with air and put it all back together.

Has anyone else encountered this type of FPS loss before? Can anyone offer any other ideas?

Thanks very much! Let me know if there's something else that can help you in solving this issue.

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

It would help to know your in-game settings. Also maybe which driver version you are using.

I would guess that your GPU should never idle that high unless you're living in a desert and don't have central air/window AC units. That is definitely not normal. I'd get some MX-2 or MX-4, pull off the GPU heatsink clean that stuff up really well (isopropyl alcohol or one of those CPU cleaning/emulsifying kits), and then apply a tiny amount of the new thermal compound to see if you can get those temps down. Maybe even same with the CPU depending on its temps. Check to see if any fans are running abnormally slow or are completely dead, too. Maybe even double-check your air flow direction(s).

I'd also guess that if temps were really the case then other games would have the same issue, so that probably isn't it (unless it's CPU related rather than GPU related). This may be an instance where you back up your data and then do a fresh OS install. Painful? Maybe. Beneficial? Sometimes.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

Reading the reviews for the card itself there is no true case exhaust so you have to make sure the case has excellent airflow.

Does the fans kick up into high gear?

Are you using any software such as Afterburner to monitor and provide a history of not just your GPU temps but speeds/loads/etc? And HWMonitor for the CPU?

Have you rolled back your GPU drivers to an older one to test?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 September 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#4 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

It sounds like it could be your MWO install, as opposed to your drivers, or hardware itself(that GPU runs hot though...maybe think about a new case?)

Try running the repair tool(don't forget to clear shaders), and then, if that doesn't work, try reinstalling.

#5 Sgt Boosh

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, guys. I'll try them and get back to you.

#6 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

Install GPU-Z, push the question mark on the front page, then switch the sensors tab, then push "Start Render Test"; Be Enlightened …

#7 Sgt Boosh

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

I return with an answer! There were two particular issues. One of my fans was not working. I plugged into one of the other fan slots on my motherboard and it spooled right up again. The case itself is pretty clear otherwise and the one fan did not make that much of a difference.

The second, and more relevant problem had to do with AMD's Catalyst Control Center itself. Even though I had unchecked the option for "AMD Overdrive," it was still on. This sent my GPU into a raging overclock that shot temps way up into the 90s. I completely stripped out any graphics processing software on my PC and removed the card from the tower. Once sure it was clear of dust and undamaged, I plugged it back in and re-installed the latest driver. Overdrive is unchecked and off and the card is running normally with normal temps for the moment.

Thank you, everyone for your suggestions and your help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users