#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:25 PM

Hey folks,

Yesterday we tried something new to help incentivize CW a little more. We were looking at the current IS map and thinking about what would the current Faction leaders be doing right now? A lot of the IS leaders would be miffed. A lot of the Clan leaders would be showing bravado and trash talking not just the IS forces but their peers as well. (Imagine what CJF would be saying about CGB right now.)

We decided to see what we could do in the short term to bring some of the emotions and lore into play to start changing the course of the current state of Community Warfare.

Scenario 1) Marik wants it's district capitol planet back. 'Marik'. To get there they need to take Angell II first. As per the write-up, Marik's leadership was not too happy and demanded all forces to take Angell II back with the planet Marik as the end goal. To any MechWarrior that achieved a win on that planet's successful change of ownership would receive 4M C-Bills. Not a lot of Merik players went for it and the planet didn't turn.

Scenario 2) Liao wants the planet Sarna for tactical purposes. Sarna is a district capitol planet and the reward was raised to 300 MC. During NA primetime, it was a close call for Liao taking Sarna. But in the last few moments, House Davion provided just enough defense to prevent Liao from taking it. Liao was at one point 54% ownership. It wasn't until Oceanic primetime that Liao mustered enough wins to fully take Sarna with a whopping 77% ownership. This tiggers the 300 MC win condition.

Uh oh... after Liao took the planet, the automated planet selector gave Clan Jade Falcon an attack lane to Sarna. This means that if CJF took the planet, Liao would not have won their 300 MC reward. To prevent this, I turned Sarna to Liao ownership at 2:55 (5 mins before planet switching would have occurred). This would allow the reward script to properly reward the Liao players. At 3:36, I switched planet ownership back to Jade Falcon control.

We are examining the activities that happened and will be trying again tomorrow with a new set of Factions/Planets. Keep an eye on that CW Comstar Intercept forum!

#2 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

These kinds of activities and developments for CW are an excellent idea, unfortunately the maps and gameplay/meta of CW isn't something I'm interested in I'm afraid.

Having said that, at least you're making a concerted effort to improve the experience and participation in CW.

Edited by Kyocera, 03 September 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:30 PM

Hm. Something to make CW interesting...an admission it didn't work perfectly and another adjusted attempt?

Thumbs up. Both of them.

#4 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Uh oh... after Liao took the planet, the automated planet selector gave Clan Jade Falcon an attack lane to Sarna. This means that if CJF took the planet, Liao would not have won their 300 MC reward. To prevent this, I turned Sarna to Liao ownership at 2:55 (5 mins before planet switching would have occurred). This would allow the reward script to properly reward the Liao players. At 3:36, I switched planet ownership back to Jade Falcon control.

Should have left it as-is, which would have been a perfect commentary on CW as it stands.

It doesn't matter what IS faction owns a world as long as there's a Clanner who wants it. The Clanner gets it.

#5 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Good to see them trying new things indeed, but odd that they didn't make the first attempt more widely known beforehand.

Coming here, explaining, and stating other chances are coming is more helpful though.

#6 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

Yes, it's a very nice idea. But the biggest problem is still that solo players will get stomped, and that just isn't fun.

#7 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

Just gonna put out there that many people will not have a clue what you're talking about here, and I only barely do from reading another thread just minutes ago...

If you guys decide to do more stuff like this, perhaps look into actually telling people about it in some form that more people will see in time? Looks like it could be an interesting concept, but highly unrealistic in the current, last-minute, minimal announcement form.

#8 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

This is a great idea, but it needs more advertising! I'd have totally jumped in if there had been more notice - as it stood, I only found out about it when it was too late to join in.

Perhaps you could outline more than one event at a time, and over a greater timeframe (say the next week) which would give the bigger units and factions time to strategize.

This sort of thing sounds like it would be an awesome way involve merc units in CW also. Faction decides it wants something, needs more mech boots on the ground, reaches out to mercs...

#9 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

Just my opinion. Maybe a little more advanced notice would have drawn more players in, and allowed teams to rally members. I realize that that might not be possible if this become a regular thing. But, before you test this again, do the announcement at least 24 hours prior.

#10 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Personally I think the future of this game should revolve around CW. That's not to force solos into CW but to implement the basic game mode into actions that have consequences on and around the CW map.

#11 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

View PostYellonet, on 03 September 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

Yes, it's a very nice idea. But the biggest problem is still that solo players will get stomped, and that just isn't fun.

Well the way i'm looking at this, as a solo player... get a few games in, maybe test out a different build for the hell of it. But just get your name in the ring, and hopfully the win will come.

I expect if they continue offering MC that faction will generally push hard enough to win just because free MC.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

i think its a good idea and sure enough because of this little mini event i got in some pretty good games yesterday. unfortunately a lot of them were ghost drops since marik could not muster enough forces. i think these kind of mini-events need to be advertised a bit better. perhaps with an in-game interface like cta.

#13 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 September 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

This predator is not amused with Comstar's machinations. :angry:

There must be a way take Terra and be rid of those pests once and for all ...

Edited by Mystere, 03 September 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#14 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

You guys are onto something. Please keep going. Once word of these gets out, people will know to watch for the intercepts.

PSST - FRR is ready and awaiting orders!

#15 M4rtyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 691 posts

Yeah running theme in this thread. lol

#16 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

300 MC is a nice prize. I'll give it a try.

#17 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostYellonet, on 03 September 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

group up - welcome to hard mode.

To Paul, I LOVE THIS IDEA. I can't say it enough.

Edited by Saxie, 03 September 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#18 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

what
i didnt get anything
jade falcons? we fought fed rats there

>Liao was at one point 54% ownership

it was at 0% at the beginning of the oceanic prime time

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 03 September 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#19 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

Also, might want to make it an automatically set notice in factional chat or a special "call to arms" notice.

#20 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

View PostSaxie, on 03 September 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

group up - welcome to hard mode.

To Paul, I LOVE THIS IDEA. I can't say it enough.

Yeah, that's a solution, if you want to keep the current numbers of CW players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users