- - - - -

New Player Impressions Of First Day

16 replies to this topic

#1 lightwaveTT

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Well i just tryed this today have to say
This game makes you feel like your up a creek without a paddle and gagged.

The controls are un-intuitive... the tutorial is abysmal.
You cant chat in game by pressing enter till you die.
Thier is no general chat room,
No help menu for basic instructions.
Things dont seem to work right like your firing groups they reset themselves.
When zoomed out no minimap will come up.
When you get close to enemys thier freind or foe markers dissapear.
You cant strafe.
You have to hold a button to get your mech to line up to the direction your facing.
Controls are really bad

These are critisims

Game looks nice but i dunno wth im doing
seems other people do but i cant even talk to them till i die ?
things dont seem very polished or intuitive.
were do you get help for questions in this game.

#2 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:54 AM

Voice chat is CapsLock. "T" to talk to your team via text. "R" to lock targets - very important! "A" and "D" to turn left and right, but the mouse to twist your torso, which is independent of which way your feet are pointing. The game has a very steep learning curve, so I'd suggest going to the training grounds and run your mech around free of bad guys so you can get a feel for the controls.

#3 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

1) Welcome!
2) This game does have a steep learning curve.
3) Hang in there until Sept 22nd. A "New Players Academy" will be introduced with that patch. It has been seen on the test server and appears to be a HUGE improvement over the bare-bones tutorial that exists now.
4) Koniving should be along shortly withy a greeting. Wisdom flows from Koniving.
5) If by "zoomed out" you mean 3rd person view, don't use it. It will only hamper your development.
6) There is a lot more going on here than your typical FPS game. That's because it sort of a hybrid FPS/Simulator. It IS worth it if you stick with it.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

There will be a new, very detailed walkthrough tutorial coming soon, with vice acting, simple prompts, and a *huge* array of instructions to help you learn to pilot a mech.

The tutorial is currently available on the public test build of them game, so should be coming to the actual game client fairly soon.

You still won't be able to strafe, but actual tanks don't strafe either, and mechs are driven pretty much like a tank. You can chat in-game with T (after turning it on in the options), and chat to your team by pressing Y (T for "talk" and Y for "it was next to t")

If you have specific questions about how to do something, it helps to phrase it like a question and not an accusation.

#5 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

View PostlightwaveTT, on 04 September 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Right here mate. Also, if you use teamspeak, you could join one of the various teamspeak lobbies for assistance.
(na1.mech-connect.net) is the one I'm usually on, though I'm often with my unit if I'm on.

Also, just ask in game, let em know your new. Some folk might not help, but usually I see a few people give advice anytime someone mentions it. Lastly, there's a little icon on the lower right of the mechbay menu area. Three little silhouettes. you can send and receive friend invites there to get even more help. I'm always willing to answer questions when I'm on, though I could take a bit to reply as I might be dropping into a game.

Good luck mechwarrior.

~Leone

#6 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:47 PM

The controls are un-intuitive... the tutorial is abysmal.
You cant strafe.
You have to hold a button to get your mech to line up to the direction your facing.
Controls are really bad

These are critisims

Take a look at this helpful video, showcasing the academy that will be introduced in the September 22nd patch.

Mechs move like tanks, so no strafing here. Not unless you point your torso at your target, and your legs in the direction you want to move in.

I highly recommend that you go to Settings, and check the key bindings to know what each button does.

Also, from settings, disable the Start in 3PV option. It's just bad. Stick to first person. Literally the only time that I use 3PV is when I want to check how my paintjob is looking.

#7 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

The first thing you should be doing is going into training grounds and play all the maps, (skip the last six on the ilst for now as they are clan wars maps and you got a long way before that is an issue) Play all the maps a few times. I'd say start out with playing lights or mediums as they will let you run around a lot faster and see more of the maps.

Practice killing the mechs you see around the map. Learn to circle the mechs, practice shooting locations on the Paper doll. (it shows up by pressing R to target the mech. Practice shooting, twisting away, then twisting back as this is key to your survival in game by spreading damage.

Learn how heat management works, play around with heavies and assaults as well to see how they differ.

Lastly, when you die in game, Spectate others, hop around and look at load outs, and see how others are playing, that is the best way to learn,..

Also check out Koniving's youtube channel he has tons of game play videos, and is a pretty good player so you can learn a ton from watching him. There are also a ton of video tutorials on youtube, you it might be a good idea to start with a few hours of watching videos, then load up the game and practice in the testing grounds and learn the maps, and mechs..

After all that you should be much farther along, and hopefully understand the game 10x more.

#8 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

Leone is killer to run with. I run with him from time to time.

Yeah, it's a cast iron mother to "git gud" at this, I'm 500 drops in over two months and I'm still learning how not to make a fool of myself. But it's fun, most of the players aren't [Richard]s, and there are a ton of opportunities for growth and making new friends. Good luck-hope things begin to come together soon.

Edited by Chados, 04 September 2015 - 07:47 PM.

#9 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:02 PM

Posts like these just make me nod once and walk away...

#10 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:48 AM

The controls are un-intuitive...

Depends on what else you've ever played. Some, like me, have found them pretty natural.

the tutorial is abysmal.

Being addressed by PGI. There was a public test recently, they got some really good feedback, and the live (much-awaited) update is due out in a couple weeks.

No, but you CAN by pressing 'Y' to talk to your whole unit (the other 8 blue guys on your side), or 'U' to talk to your lance (the other three GREEN guys).

Not really, but if you group up there's a chat lobby for your group. There's one for your whole faction in the FACTIONS tab. And so on.

AGAIN, the tutorial is bad, but it's not THAT bad. Also, check the key binds under SETTINGS. And ALWAYS go TESTING GROUNDS with any unfamiliar build before you go live. You'll figure out a LOT there, and be better prepared to go kill stuff.

No, they stay intact for a given chassis/variant. They're only going to be different if you're in a new chassis/variant, or if you've changed the loadout in the current one since the last drop. Also, you can set those up in the MECH LAB before you even drop.

Then roll the zoom back to 1.00x. The thinking here is most likely, we're zoomed for a reason and are far more interested at the moment in the target or area we've zoomed on, and that we can zoom in/out whenever we please, as often as we please.

They can become harder to discern. It's going to be on you to match the mech(s) you see with the markers on the minimap, and maybe even to remember what bad guys were in your very close vicinity. It's a lot to get used to. But the markers will be there except while your mech is shut down.

You cant strafe.

Pedantic me hates the use of this term in this context. But that's another story. You CAN do so, to some extent. Turn your legs in the direction you want to go, and go that way. While doing so, face your torso the way you want to aim/fire, and do that too. Not as simple, but far more effective for anything not HALO or DOOM.

No. You can turn your torso in the direction the legs are already pointing, without holding (just PRESSING, actually) some other button.

Controls are really bad

"Well that's just, like, YOUR opinion, man." -The Dude (I AM an ordained Dudeist minister, BTW)

These are critisims

Clearly.

Clearly. That's what we're here for. Ask your questions, and we shall answer. We're cool and helpful like that. Usually.

Again, U to chat lance, Y to chat unit/company. It's in the key bindings under SETTINGS.

It's interesting to see that. I DO believe your expectations are based (somewhat unfairly) on other games, but at the same time this IS a work in progress. I've been playing this game on-and-off for almost 3 years, since it was very unapologetically BETA. It's come a LONG way. At one time, there was no tutorial at all, there was only ONE game mode (assault), there were only 8 mechs per side, there were like 6 maps and 10 or 12 mechs total (all Inner Sphere), no working ECM or BAP. Balance passes have left LRMs, UAC/5s, and PPCs, at varying times, THE meta game weapons of choice. One month, it was all brawling. The next, it was jump-sniping with PPCs (poptarting). Nowadays, even after some significant nerfing of Clan lasers, it's mid-range laser vomit FTW. God knows what'll be next month's flavor.

HERE, mostly.

If you have access to Teamspeak, the ComStar public TS servers are good places to find some help, too. There's a reddit (What is this, 1998?!?!?!?) thingy about MWO somewhere, though it's Troll City apparently. This forum, again.

Two best things you can do to learn the basics quickly:

1.) TESTING GROUNDS! I know it's boring right now. The targets don't move or fire back, they're ALWAYS the same mechs in the same places, etc. BUT. You seem to have some issues with the basic controls, and that's the place to work those out. Take a trial mech, go to TESTING GROUNDS, run it dry of ammo. Overheat it a few times. Blow yourself up, and find the limits. Figure out how to do what you want to do with your mech, in terms of individual movement and firing. Adjust those weapons groups.

2.) After going back to TESTING GROUNDS again and again and again, get your self in game and observe the more experienced players (the confident ones, that aren't being all timid and hiding their mechs behind one another). What are they doing? How are they doing things differently from you? how can YOU do the things they're doing?

Don't forget to spectate after you've been killed out of a match, too. You can learn a LOT from that.

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:13 AM

Welcome to MWO. Some of the things that you wrote are wrong. For example, you can talk to your friends and enemies and firing groups do not reset themselves, unless you switch mechs.

There are a LOT of controls in this game and a lot of things going on all at once.

The result is that the learning curve for this game is huge and unfortunately, any current tutorials are pretty poor. But as mentioned previously there is a new learning academy that will be coming out soon that will help new pilots.

Stick with it, stay with your team and fire on what they fire on. Concentrate on surviving and the damage and kills will come.

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:42 AM

One bit of advice is that if you are getting that close to the enemy, back up a bit. You don't have as much arm movment in a mech as in the human body, so your weapons need more space to converge on the target, otherwise you are probably firing past your enemy instead of into them.

#13 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:14 AM

welcome bro, be patient :) its a nice game

#14 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

If you are the engineer type and like to tinker you will like it. I completely suck at fighting but I love to tinker, tweak and learn about Mechs. The only problem is if you like doing that you may spend money. I have spent an obscene amount of money and time on Mechs, engines and all the things that go with them, but I couldn't be happier. I am sure that my battle skills will improve over time and if you need to there are clubs you can join that will help you if you want to learn faster.

#15 Alzarns Fire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

Plenty of good advice here. Like all things to get better you must learn from your mistakes and practice, practice, practice.

This not a game for those who want the easy road to the oasis of feel good. It's not an FPS respawn fest like CoD. It will take time and dedication to learning you mechs, the maps, and positioning to get good.

#16 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

Good Luck to you. Great to see new faces. This game has a Mt.Everest or at least a Mt.McKinley learning curve. Play the trial Mechs or Omnis and figure out what you like. I suggest playing all three game modes and spending alot of time on the training fields to learn each map.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting ( GL HH).

#17 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:20 PM

Hi there, Sir !

If you have any questions regarding mechs, building/outfitting mechs, controls, procedures on the battlefield, dirty tricks with mechs or how to really satisfy your destructive urges hop by on ts.mercstaralliance.com (it has no PW) .

The Mercstar Alliance (MS in short) is a real fun bunch of talented and helpful lads in one place, nearly all around the clock, plus we have awesome trainers that can whip you into shape lickety-split .

For starting though :
- Open your settings
Look through ALL of them (I know, it´s quite many, but don´t let that put you off cause persistence is key in MW:O) and set them to your liking

Some explanations :

-Armlock : Locks the movement of your arms to your torso (advising to get rid of it right from the start, there is a keybinding for that as well and those arms are mighty helpful !!!)

-Throttle decay : Once you let go of "W" your speed automatically drops to zero (advising to get rid of it, constant throttle is better to control your speed : i.e: shortly tap your "W" or "S" key to go quicker/slower in very small increments, lets you adjust your speed to other people´s speed and stay with them to help/get helped)

-3rd Person View : Lets you view your mech from outside, BUT it has no damage display, no targeted enemy display, no minimap , etc etc (while 3PV has some boni, likebeing able to look over a ridge with just showing that blinking red camera drone of yours, it will hinder your development as a mechwarrior immensely, so I´d advise to get rid of it .... nothing is cosier than the cramped confines of your trusted mech´s cockpit)

-Chats/VoIP : Use them to your liking, the veterans fought long and hard to get VoIP implemented, plus sometimes it is not only tremendously helpful but also surprisingly fun to watch the chat/hear the VoIP .

If there´s any more questions (and I bet there are^^ ) shoot them in this here thread or join one of the TS, since most of the veteran Mechwarriors are a vey helpful bunch of murderous sons of metal .

See youse on the battlefield !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users