17 replies to this topic

#1 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

I have 40m Cbills burning a hole in my virtual pocket. I know I should save them for upgrading my Resi II mechs with DHS and endo but !!BORING!! so I want to go shopping.

I don't *think* I'm missing any unique playstyles by virtue of the mechs I don't already own. I have none (0) of the following:

Spiders
Kintaros
Trebuchets
Orions
Quickdraws
Highlanders

plus I have one Victor [9S(c)] and one Cataphract [3d(c)], both gifts from previous events. Every other chassis I own* at least three of.

so:

Should I buy a set of 1 from the missing six (which one?), or fill out my Victors or Cataphracts (which one!?)? FWIW, I have mechbays but don't want to buy any more MC for the moment so I'm not planning on buying any heros.

* insert discussion about "ownership" in a digital-only online-only video game here

#2 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

There was a time when I loved the highlander and victor but no longer. The jump jets just don't perform well enough to justify their weight/slots imo and their are other assaults I like more.

I hardly every see Trebs and Quick-draws... thus I assume they under-perform. The quick-draw looks huge imo.
No experience with the spider or the Kintaro.
The Orion has some good builds but its hit boxes are kinda wacky. The CT and LT are very easy to hit... I also found it hard to use all of its hardpoints without an XL... and while the CT does attract much of the incoming fire if your enemy figures out you have an XL that LT is very easy to target.

So I vote for 2 more Phracts. The one you have is great. 325xl+4xML+2xUltra5s (one of my fav heavies) There is also a ecm version (ISs only ECM heavy) and from there you could either get the one with 5 energy + ballistic (5LL is fun) or the slow 4x (2ultra 2ac2) or I think there is one with some-kind of left arm missile (rarely ever see this one)

Edit the phract is one of the few mechs I like enough that I might just buy a 4th (the new one with ecm) even though I don't "need" it having already mastered them.

Edited by Kaptain, 04 September 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#3 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:38 PM

Spider 5V, with 2 medium lasers, 160 kph, and 12 jumpjets- this is the only majorly unique mech you are missing here.
You can downgrade the engine for 2 x medium pulse laser but NEVER mess with the jumpjets otherwise you are just having a bad locust build that jumps.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:05 PM

The QKD-5K with 4LL and an XL300 is a lot of fun. And QKDs offer a more unique expedience than anything else on your list, a surprising amount of options and quite a bit of fun (IMO). I own every chassis and of the ones you list, that's where I'd go.

#5 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:30 PM

hm. why couldn't you have all said the same thing?!

:)

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

You should get more Cataphracts or a Quickdraw.

Edited by Spheroid, 04 September 2015 - 09:44 PM.

#7 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:59 PM

Right now I'm thinking a pair of Phracts (probably 4X for the dakka, and the 0XP as an oversize ECM HBK-4g).

Thanks for the advice folks. Shopping when I wake up.

#8 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:07 PM

^4X has such a low engine cap. No other variant interests you?

#9 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

My Ilya with 3 UAC5s and 3 ML never gets old. :3

4x with 255XL and 4 AC5s works pretty well if you get the AC5 CD modules.

The ECMphract is probably the best one. I run mine with Gauss + 3LL.

Edited by Elizander, 05 September 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#10 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:59 AM

On the offchance any of you are as daft as me, and periodically check old threads they posted in: I haven't as yet bought the Phracts (though I intend to).

View PostSpheroid, on 04 September 2015 - 10:07 PM, said:

^4X has such a low engine cap. No other variant interests you?

Hm. Hadn't looked at the engine cap 'til you mentioned it. Max speed of 65kph with a 255 engine? Ouch. While the dakka looks like fun, I haven't gotten on well with slow mechs historically. I may need to reconsider.

My thinking was: I have a 3d already. The 0XP seems to be a fat HBK4g with ECM, which has some fun potential. The 1X and 2X look, at first blush, to be fairly similar to the 0XP in build options, whereas the 4X can do builds the others can't.

That engine cap is a killer though. If I chicken out, I suspect I'll go with the 1X, as it seems to have the most loadout flexibility, given the proviso that I very rarely run missile systems.

View PostElizander, on 05 September 2015 - 10:07 AM, said:

My Ilya with 3 UAC5s and 3 ML never gets old. :3

Sounds lovely, but unless the MC fairy leaves a present under my pillow, I'll be missing out. I have promised myself that I'm not buying any more MC until my Resi II and Origins mechs have been delivered and thoroughly played!

Edited by Ano, 07 September 2015 - 05:00 AM.

#11 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

Sorry to come in late but the Kintaros and Trebuchets are 2 of my favorite mechs. Treb 7K with a xl285 and 2 AC5(5t ammo) 2 ML is a nasty little customer that requires no extra dhs to get a 1.52 heat rating. Aim for the face and they can't see to hit a Direwale let alone a well sized 50t humanoid. I've dubbed that build the Jack Hammer.

The KTO 18 I run a xl300 1dhs for 97.2kph elited with 5 lrm5 and an ERLL, call it the chain rattler. Set the lrms to chainfire find a target and hit them from a flank from cover and ease out to punch them with the ERLL. The lrms blind them and cause absolute panic so if you can position so their team mates can't assist, you get to beat them until they make cover or don't. The damage and bonuses bring mass cbills. Many 700+ dmg matches in it. Pretty tough mech to, just can't face tank.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 29 September 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#12 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

Personally I wouldn't recommend Trebs or Kintaros. They aren't a lot of fun if you don't have good aim with srms.

#13 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:55 AM

Another recommendation for both Trebs and Kintaros. Full disclosure, I am a missile guy first and foremost so I'm letting you know my bias off the bat.

Some Trebs have pretty generous missile quirks and I have had a blast running by LDG with both 4x SRM6 / 2MPL as well as 4x LRM5 / 1 MPL / 1 TAG.

Kintaros are very rare in MW, but there are players out there that sware by them.

I would not recommend the Highlander at all. I don't recall a mech getting hit worse during the initial nerfing than the Highlander.

Spiders are specialty mechs, same as Locusts. You are either obsessed with them or you use them once in a blue moon to troll.

#14 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:53 AM

Spiders are the most unique of those choices, I think. There's nothing more fun than spider-biting mechs with the 5V and being gone/over hills before they can blink. The 5D, while now sort of eclipsed by other ECM lights, is a classic skirmisher and still very fun to play. I use 2MPLAS on the 5V and 3MPLAS on the 5D (when I'm not running my 3LLAS 5D build ;) ).

As an old Highlander player, you can still wreck face with them, but they pale in comparison to the damage output of some things. You'll feel like a slow IS assault without as much of the can-opener direwolf feel. That being said, they are -loaded- with armor and structure and are fully capable of getting good numbers in the right situations.

Orions simply visually look cool to me (eventually planning on building some of them) and I've had some Kintaro build ideas that may or may not be plausible at the current state of affairs.

I've done all the Trebs, and sold them all. LRM skirmishing is vaguely fun but...really situational.

#15 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:40 AM

Master the Spider. I swear it many people are still terrified by the time of the invincible Spider and you can virtually see their blood pressure go through the roof.

I still run my 5D with 3 Mpuls. No big Alpha but ECM and it´s very nimble. Your really got to make your shots count in that little guy.
It´s my fun ride besides the Lolcusts.

*Disclaimer* Only suitable for Light enthusiasts *Disclaimer*

#16 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:48 AM

Thanks again, all. Still haven't bought anything (those 40m cbills have grown a bit, even though I've DHSed my Maulers) and will probably hold off now until I get around to playing though the maulers, BKs, crabs, etc etc.

#17 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:12 AM

View PostAno, on 02 October 2015 - 02:48 AM, said:

Thanks again, all. Still haven't bought anything (those 40m cbills have grown a bit, even though I've DHSed my Maulers) and will probably hold off now until I get around to playing though the maulers, BKs, crabs, etc etc.

If I may make one more comment, the Quickdraw is very fun and unique to play. Same is true for the Orion, however you're missing out on its' potential by playing it in the public queue. The main advantage of the Orion is how well it tanks and dishes out damage in small, advantageous bursts while also being capable of plinking between those attacks. Imagine trying to do this in public queue with huge STs. Yeah, it's pretty bad, but I think it is one of the best team player Mechs in the game when played right.
A quick comment on the Quickdraw: don't ignore the missile hardpoints. After practicing with this agile mech, the SRMs are vital for finishing facehugged enemies trying to limp away.

If you ignore these Mechs, you won't be missing out on anything when it comes to the meta. They may possibly be useless after the next set of balance tweaks for all that I know. They are nonetheless quite under-appreciated in my opinion, not only can they deal good damage but they are fun while you're doing it too. I would be appreciating them more if I wasn't always grinding in my latest purchase!

#18 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:58 AM

View PostPezzer, on 06 October 2015 - 12:12 AM, said:

If I may make one more comment, the Quickdraw is very fun and unique to play. Same is true for the Orion, however you're missing out on its' potential by playing it in the public queue. The main advantage of the Orion is how well it tanks and dishes out damage in small, advantageous bursts while also being capable of plinking between those attacks.

I agree on the Orion. An ON1-K with an AC/20, 4 MLs, and a pair of SRM 4s can give even a heavy a bad day. A pair of well-placed alphas with that will blow off a torso section. It can even still fit a STD 300 for some semblance of speed, though it runs kind of hot when you do that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users