Expanded Chat Interface

29 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the Chat System Be Expanded? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI implement a more full-featured chat interface?

1. No; the options currently in the UI are sufficient, and third-party options exist for those who want more. (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

2. Yes; we need more options in the UI to facilitate everything from newbie helping to off-topic chatter. (26 votes [96.30%])

Percentage of vote: 96.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

I would like to see the chat interface expanded; currently chatting is a bit cumbersome. You have to go looking for chat, and it's split between the Faction Tab and the Social interface - both of which restrict you to performing a bare minimum of other tasks. These problems form a barrier to social interaction such that real-time socializing almost has to be done outside of the UI, unless you count talking to random people in low-population channels.

I'd recommend making the faction chat and global chat areas of the UI more prominent, and enhancing their functionality - add them to all sections of the UI as a window in the corner of the screen, for example. As-is, the chat function doesn't allow me a lot of tools to socialize; I can send messages to one person at a time, or I can talk to my entire faction or unit. It's limited. I'd like to be able to /reply to whispers in the same window I'm using to chat up my unit, or invite multiple people to a private channel to talk. It shouldn't take up much bandwidth (and there are measures that can be taken to curb excessive use and spam,) so it would be great to have the chat system expanded in this way.

#2 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

Really? Nobody cares at all? That can't be right...

#3 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

Many would consider that as an extension of the "lobby/chatroom" many have been asking forever and a day and still nothing. Others simply do not see the relevance between improving game play and improving the chat communication system within the game. PGI current implementation is currently meant only for Unit pilots and then those of the same Major faction dropping in only CW, and even that you have no idea who may be hearing you.

Basically, there currently is no "pilot or mechwarrior" in Mechwarrior Online, there is only the mech being piloted unless you are using VOIP, either in-game or TS/etc.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 September 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#4 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

The ingame social features are fairly woeful -- features I haven't spotted which would be helpful might include:
  • Chat scrolling -- so you can catch up on what's been said
  • Chat persistence/recent players -- if I liked the way you led the PuG I was just in, I'd best make damn sure I remember your name at the end of the match.
  • Chat logging -- for posterity, for entertainment
  • informative requests: friend requests, invitations have no context at all beyond "X has invited you"
  • user info: who the hell is this "Void Angel" sending me messages? I should be able to get some basic info about a person in-game

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

Yeah, it'd go a lot toward allowing people to forge the kind of personal connections that make it more fun to play a multiplayer game. MWO is fun, but it's kind of like playing a single-player game in multiplayer-only mode, socially.

#6 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:22 AM

The biggest change I want though before anything else is the ability to use chat (or any other ui element for that matter such as settings, mechlab, etc.) while the searching for a match. Stupid how it locks out everything else, and it's been like this forever since beta.

#7 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

There have been several threads about this.
- Want it (the chat improvements) to get noticed? Then Search and Bump the other threads. I support yours, you support the others, they support you.... we get PGI to notice and do something. Go to the town halls, and mention it there too.

Support these threads.

Started by Freebrth, Dec 24 2015: http://mwomercs.com/...19#entry4904719

Started by Freebrth, Aug 02 2014: http://mwomercs.com/...h-the-team-etc/

by xX_Nero_Xx, Oct 30 2012 : http://mwomercs.com/...age__mode__show

Started by Andi Nagasia, Sep 05 2014: http://mwomercs.com/...stem-expansion/

Started by Dedzone, Dec 15 2014: http://mwomercs.com/...-chat-channels/

Started by Anu Kajal, Dec 07 2013: http://mwomercs.com/...atar-chat-room/

there are others too...

~ Free

#8 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:25 AM

Also, Russ has acknowledged that it's an area that needs serious overhaul, it's more our duty to start creating ideas for them to feed off of, and to light a fire under em and get them moving on it sooner than later.

PGI, want to see the population grow and thrive, stick around because they're genuinely into the community here? Then give us a community access point where we can make unit rooms, hangout with or visit other friendly units, challenge rivals and set up matches all via the C.A.P. (that's what I'm calling the community access point).

Personal Profiles? - Yes.
Greater mobility through a dynamic chat system? - Yes.
Mobility through Faction/Units/personal rooms? - Yes.
Setup and Launch from Chat? - Check, well, we kinda have some of that, but needs improvement sorely.

A little old school and fun (Since many of us are older) - Yes? (lolz, that's just how i'd envision it).

So, Void Angel, yes, we care. Some just feel like we've been asking forever and get a uber simple little unit chat thing to appease us... and it (chat) really could and should be so much better. It really could make the community part of the game grow and stay (longevity is good yes?). If we keep pushing the issue, then they'll get motivated to work on it, or at least they should.

Search for, and bump old threads, get the conversations going... make it happen, I'm with ya here... others will jump on as they see steam (motion, not the app). Lets do this ;)

#9 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:47 AM

Simple things that are still missing :

- Whispering to someone (including someone that is outside of your friendlist)
- Chat Overlay that works all the time, doesnt break/stop being usable after you start to search for a match (like when you push quick play button)
- movable/cusomizable/scalable size of UI. (e.g. I'd really like to move weapon groups to middle of my screen, resize it to make it smaller, and move minimap to the corner where weapon groups was... AND MAKE IT BIGGER!)

#10 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:45 PM

There is a lot missing from chat. I know everyone has their pet issues, but I honestly believe that a good community communication tool that's built into the game would (have) help(ed) the players themselves create a fun environment worth staying logged in on.... though lately I'm wondering, sadly, if we ever get noticed or checked on here, so probably wont happen.

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:21 AM

Whoah, this thing isn't buried? Sweet!

#12 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:53 PM

I love how the votes for this are so far 100% unanimous. Maybe indicative of a much needed overhaul/new features for the chat/communication systems in the game PGI...

On one hand they did fix a long time chat bug/feature today.

• Players can now scroll through Chat windows using the 'Page Up' and 'Page Down' keys while the Chat window is active.
• The 'End' key will take you to the most recent Chat window message while the Chat window is active.
• Fixed an issue where the 'Mech Destroyed and End of Round Chat windows could be filled with partially-typed messages.
• Fixed an issue where Chat history would not carry over between screens, such as in-game, 'Mech Destroyed, End of Round, etc.

#13 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

They know it's needed, and have acknowledged it for years - it's just a matter of "is this more important than... (hit registration/mech balance/Community Warfare/etc.) I just made the thread to keep it on their radar. =)

#14 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

Posted Image I got yer back Void Angel.
- bump my back, i'll bump yours (hope that didn't sound too awfully wrong - haha).
+ Check out Brody's posts too, good ideas.

We need to promote this stuff, with zeal and fervor.

Edited by Freebrth, 19 July 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#15 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:36 AM

Maybe since any fix or feature we talk about takes 'em ages because "it's soo hard to do it" (boo hoo) than maybe in between mech packs (that mostly doesn't require any sort of attention from programmers) those quality of life fixes that are simple could be put into the game daily? I mean if every day we get a smal quick fix for things like UI, Chat, General gaming experience wouldn't that feel like a breeze of fresh air and a morale boost as of "oh look PGI is doing something meaningful for the game" ... because all 'n' all... I understand that mech packs are sort of life line of the game.... but if it's this game only realistic way to survive then we're all doomed due to shortsight and poor planning on PGI side. And no ammount of mech packs could or would get this game out of this clutch. Maybe try and look for some asian investors (I know how awful that feels... and would probably mean that suddenly pilots/mechs would get artificial little girls voices shouting everytime you put AC20 up someones arse and s#it...which I'd like to avoid, but you know money doesn't stink in the long run and there are always options to mute some sounds from the game/change them/mod them)

#16 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

I like how you ignore the quality of life, gameplay, and balance changes that have been made, while acknowledging that mech packs don't use the same resources - then turn right around and imply that all the resources are being spent on mech packs instead of improving the game (on your way to a vaguely xenophobic stereotypiong of Japanese games which reveals your ignorance of both Japanese game development and general finance.)

Go away, you're not even on-topic.

#17 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

We used to have 4 mechs and two maps ... we've indeed come along way. I do think they could have done some things differently (especially the chat/comms) but it does seem they are slowly moving toward it and will hopefully take notice of our ideas.

#18 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:43 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 20 July 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

I like how you ignore the quality of life, gameplay, and balance changes that have been made, while acknowledging that mech packs don't use the same resources - then turn right around and imply that all the resources are being spent on mech packs instead of improving the game (on your way to a vaguely xenophobic stereotypiong of Japanese games which reveals your ignorance of both Japanese game development and general finance.)

Go away, you're not even on-topic.

Things that I've written down is generally a common knowledge. Yours were assumptions based on thin air and lack of any knowledge specifically about me.

Well that's just my opinion on the eastern character/game design which usually consists of loud screaming teenagers with unrealistically huge weaponry. Which should be taken with a wink. I'm not a huge fan, but there are games/movies/anime and comics that I enjoy/like.
With my previous statement I made a generalistation based on common knowledge which you've failed to notice. I'm perfectly aware that are games/movies/etc that are taking a totally different turn with its design.

It sounds like you are a fanboy of eastern games/animation/etc.
And not in a good way. Because as soon as I said something about it you took it as a personal offense. You've got bitter and went on by calling me xenophobe. Not Cool at all.

Now that we got this out of the way.

I'll give credit where credit is due and stuff PGI is putting in to the game is not balancing out the stuff that is still broken or (just like last patch did) introduced new problems to the game. There are simple and obvious problems that are being omitted everytime, every patch. So whilst I DO in fact acknowledge recent/past changes/fixes - all of 'em don't outweight the problems that are still existing.
Chat fixing should've been done ages ago as a priority. Community Warfare/Playing this game without proper tools to communicate is not an arrow to the knee. It's a AC20 to each knee. This should be offending to anyone. Not my obviously joke digression.

Edited by lazytopaz, 22 July 2016 - 03:22 AM.

#19 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

What a load of road apples. A fallacious appeal to common wisdom, an oblique accusation of personal attacks ("assumptions based on... no personal knowledge.") Followed almost immediately by a personal attack based on assumptions! And I only wish that was the only bit of obvious sophistry...

You keep on using the word, "offended." As though someone objecting to your claims and reasoning is somehow personally hostile and emotionally driven. This is not the case, and using that assumption as a shield is dishonest reasoning, even if - especially if - you're not doing it on purpose.

None of which changes the fact that this thread - and this forum section - isn't the place to voice the tired refrain of the perpetually dissatisfied. Stop derailing the thread, and stay on topic.

#20 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

Back on Topic:

Pasted from another response, but I think it applies here too:
~ I like the idea of creating a character progression, but I also think it should be integrated through an expansive "Chat" system as well. Make friends based off of their characters (like we did in WoW).
~ I would also like to see some good story based missions thrown into the mix, not all of them fairly balanced: Kobayashi Maru (The unwinnable situation) etc. I also think arenas would be fun too: 1v1 2v2 4v4.... and I'd really like to see a lot more of that integrated into the star map, faction play etc. Suggest that QP is still very much QP, but there would be a lot of behind the scene effects on planets etc. You could manage as much or as little coordination as you desire. Be a QP Warrior (all default/auto pilot on where you attack), or go Full on and be voting on where your unit or faction attacks, or where "You" want to attack if your freelance. What planets you attack, can be upto you and each planet has to have some of each game mode (on a map that's common to the planets weather patterns and terrain etc.)... QP Warrior guy that hates snow maps can tweek a few settings here and there to control where he attacks and to some degree game modes, but unit commanders and small organized groups could have a strong impact by playing through many of the game modes on a single planet (or area), and the legions of "default" set QP warriors would be at command of the units via voting (or some system).
- Want real immersion? true to life stuff?, then ya, mix the whole thing up a tad, give command and control of where the legions go to unit commanders who then fight along side them with their units. Faction QP peeps would likely get to know many of the people they fight with making it more personal as well. That's what makes people come back more and stay logged in longer, makes more money for PGI to keep improving the game. Over all it's a fun game, and I play fairly regularly but I'm not much of a FW guy because of the time involved, but I like the concept and would love to see more ways to contribute., and have it all tied in to and through the chat system as well - One BIG game!

* Ok, maybe a little off course... but I do think tying it all into the chat system would be a blast eh?
The chat, the voting, where QP players go, character progressions, chat ROOMS and areas, arena lobbies etc etc .... man, make it immersive and captivating.. make me want to (no.. NEED to) stay logged in and enjoying the battles, the time spent hanging out .. all of it.

Edited by Freebrth, 25 July 2016 - 04:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users