Data Analysis

5 replies to this topic

#1 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:15 PM

First ... I did not get a chance to participate in the first round of the public test. This is solely based on a comparison of the quirks posted by Othello for the first PTS. Since no one else apparently like GRFs enough to post about them, I will.

Second ... I really like Griffins ... I like the missile/laser combo, I like the way they look and feel, they just feel right to me. Yes, right now, they're not the best quirked 'mechs ... they don't really need to be.

GRF-1E (aka: Sparky)
- Maneuverability: buffed straight-line maneuverability, nerfed torso twisting
- Durability: buffed structure ... nice ... ups the survivability to roughly 60-ton level (considering armor and structure points), which is good, because this 'mech needs an XL-engine to come close to comparing to similarly-tonned Clan 'mechs
- Information: nerfed info stuff ... target scan rate severely favors long range, and 2.25 target acquisition delay means this is no scout

Current Game: I've tried almost every possible combination on Sparky, and just can't make it work better than other variants or similarly equipped 'mechs.

Rebalanced: It looks like you want this to favor long-range ridge-humping poptarting (maybe 2xPPC w/ 2xML backup in one arm) or mid-range lasers (4xLL). I really want 6xMPL to work on this 'mech, but without buffed turning or twisting, it just won't keep up with a short-range clan medium (except maybe a IFR) in any way.

GRF-1N (default Phoenix variant)
- Maneuverability: buffed accel/decel and turning, slightly nerfed torso twisting
- Durability: stock
- Information: Target scan severely favors long range, buffed target retention

Current Game: I've tried all possible ML-SRM combinations, and 3xML, 3xASRM-6 is by far the most balanced build for a laser-missile 55-tonner. This 'mech is pretty darn good as is, and was by far my favorite GRF until the GRF-2N was released.

Rebalanced: The maneuverability buffs make me want to brawl with this (YAY!), but the stock durability and information quirks make me think you want this to mount LRMs (BOO!). It's going to take a lot of convincing for me to think that anything except 3xML, 3xASRM-6 is the best build for this 'mech.

GRF-1S (laser arm)
- Maneuverability: seriously nerfed, compared to all other GRFs
- Durability: buffed structure, seriously buffed right arm ... really, the right arm will almost be able to take more damage than a side torso
- Information: serious buffs, compared to all other GRFs ... long/med range bias on target scan

Current Game: I can't get this one to work. I've seen some do the mid-range laser thing really well, but it just doesn't work for me. I've tried it as a mini-CPLT-C1, and it does OK.

Rebalanced: OK, I get it, this one stays at range and harasses with LRMs. 3xML, TAG, BAP, ALRM-10/10 is a natural fit ... or you could swap the ALRM-10s for LRM-5s and upgrade the MLs to LLs (this actually looks interesting). Another option ... jumpy WVR-7K ... 3-4xLL or ERLL in that popeye arm. This may become the best GRF for the solo queue (if you can get LRM locks).

GRF-2N (ECM variant)
- Maneuverability: buffed turn rate
- Durability: stock
- Information: nerfed to all hell ... target scan rate (again) favors long range

Current Game: ECM and the ability to mount 4xASRM-6 with an XL engine makes this the best GRF in the game right now. Some will argue it's the ECM. I disagree. ECM is a nice bonus, but it's really the high-mounted 4xASRM-6 on a 90+ kph chassis.

Rebalanced: Since the ECM makes this an info denier rather than provider, I can understand the nerfs, and since ECM is still the must-bring "Jebus Box", I can understand the lack of other buffs. No change to XL300, 4xASRM-6 being the best build for it, though. It will probably still be the best GRF for the group queue.

GRF-3M (OMG missiles variant)
- Maneuverability: serious speed/turn buffs, nerfed torso twist angle (which is still greater than 90 deg, so OK)
- Durability: cranked up to 11! Add up the structure and armor, and you get a stock 65-tonner!
- Information: Nerfed, favors long range (again, WTF?)

Current Game: I have seen some guys do absolutely amazing things with this 'mech with 4xSRM-6. However, I strongly prefer Artemis with my SRM-6s, so that's right out for me for this variant. 4xASRM-4 just isn't punchy enough, even with 2xML (which is still a great 50-ton build, but a bit weak for a 55-tonner). Fun, but not my favorite or best.

Rebalanced: The extra durability makes this thing more tanky than a stock TDR. You just have to protect your right torso (that's where your punch is) and where ever you tried to hide your ammo. If you die with armor still on any part of your 'mech (except your head), you desperately need to learn torso twisting better (or you got 1-shot through the rear and ammo exploded). This could be the new competition IS medium SRM-brawler, if that ever becomes a thing again.

Overall impression: They still don't compete with similarly equipped clan mediums, but they'll do. I really don't understand how the Target Scan bias works, and why short range 'mechs can't scan targets well at short range, but OK, whatever. Sparky's still going to need some serious love ... maybe some heat dissipation quirks? GRF-1N and GRF-2N are still OK; GRF-1S and GRF-3M are interesting again, but none of the Griffins will be able to compete with a similarly equipped and well-piloted clan 'mech.

Edited by Kageru Ikazuchi, 12 September 2015 - 11:17 PM.

#2 MadFJohn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:40 PM

well i love the Griffin as well. some of my friends will its a little bond normal. Hell i have 3 Dugrom bobble heads, 12 of the original TT lead miniature yes lead from the 80's . I have 1 GRF-1E, 1 GRF-1N(P), 2 GRF-1S, 1 GRF-2N and GRF-3M.

i have not played in the test server to see how they are doing with the tweaks. Most players do not know the fluff on this mech which is why some cant under stand why it dose so well for long rang info and not the short rang. It suppose to be a Support mech for long rang engage meant. The variants for this mech mostly came from the lack of weapons to rearm them it in there original configuration.

to fit in to this meta thow i had to switch all the load outs to brawlers but the 2N

For making it competitive for fighting the clan on even ground it should not. To be honest. No inner sphere mech in the 3050 to 3053 era wood stand tow to tow to the clan they aren't supposed to. the clans weapons hit harder weigh less and got beater range. witch in MWO right now they do but one thing they did not have is the numbers like the IS. Then theirs Clan honer that i do not see any clan player play by witch wood even the odds once more.

Sorry for the rant

i feel the griffins are doing fine as they are over all. Fun part is i can take on Clan units with this mech and come out on top more times than not in one on one.
If i had to chose one to not change wood me the GRF-1S. i have killed many a clan mech while running my 1S. Some of my favorite opponents are Mad Cats ( Timber Wolf ).

Kageru try this GRF-1S load out. full armor, 4 ML, 2 SRM 6 with 2.5 tons of ammo, 285 standard engine, endo steal , double heat sinks, Put in the rang SRM6 module and ML cool Down. i killd many a mad cat with this. you just need to keep moving to keep them off balance

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:40 PM

I notice a lack of LRMs in your proposed builds, which is fine. LRMs aren't for everyone really.

I would have loved to see how well my 3M build would have worked in the PTS. However, every time I tried to connect after patching, I kept getting "Network error". So I never got to try anything out...

Long range sensor quirks for a (default stock) LRM based mech does make sense... :ph34r:

#4 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:57 PM

Both quotes snipped for brevity.

View PostMadFJohn, on 05 October 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

well i love the Griffin as well. ... Kageru try this GRF-1S load out. ...

I've owned GRFs ever since the Phoenix Wave 2 (or whatever it was called) was shipped. I've tried just about everything on all of them. While the 4xML does provide the extra accuracy, it's just not a great combo for me. If it works for you, then more power to you.

You'll appreciate this picture ...
Spoiler

View PostTesunie, on 05 October 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

I notice a lack of LRMs in your proposed builds, ... my 3M build ...

With the quirks presented, I think the GRF-1S will make a fine LRM medium. The GRF-3M structure quirks, though just scream "brawler" to me ... keeping that toughness at range seems to be wasteful.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 05 October 2015 - 11:57 PM, said:

With the quirks presented, I think the GRF-1S will make a fine LRM medium. The GRF-3M structure quirks, though just scream "brawler" to me ... keeping that toughness at range seems to be wasteful.

I've had that build before Quirks were a thing. I don't tend to build my mechs according to quirks, as that seems to never work for me. (I also tend to like more rounded designs, and as you might note, my design has plenty of close range punch if/when it needs to get in the mix. ;) )

By all means, as you said yourself, use what works for you. I find myself far better as a support player than a brawler. When I brawl, I tend to die with little to show for it. (Typically because damage doesn't register all the time currently.)

#6 MadFJohn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:06 PM

aye very true Kageru. it seems that all the griffin seems to really work well for the load out to fit that pilots way of playing. think they just might want to keep them as they are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users