The Reboot of Battletech franchise, new miniatures?

48 replies to this topic

#1 Saranpaa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:42 AM

While the arts of the mechs are being redesigned, are we gettin new miniatures to the tabletop as well?

Many companies which sell TT miniatures have started to sell their existing stock at discount prices.

Could that be interpeted as that there will be new range of battletech miniatures?

Does anyone have any viable info on the subject?

#2 God of War

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationGermany/Stuttgart

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

Ironwind miniatures produces everything my battletechplayer heart could wish for.

#3 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:10 AM

View PostSaranpää, on 02 December 2011 - 05:42 AM, said:

Many companies which sell TT miniatures have started to sell their existing stock at discount prices.

Could that be interpeted as that there will be new range of battletech miniatures?

Could also be seen as Christmas sales, of the store owner trying to move stock.
Iron Wind pushes out a couple of new minis every month, and as GoW says they have everything you would want.

#4 Jon Vekken

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Planet Persistance

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

Perchance a new WizKids Clix game... this time centered around the clan invasion instead of some silly "Dark Age"....?

#5 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

Oh god no, please no more clickytech.

#6 Epitaph

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:11 AM

I'd like to see maybe slightly larger display figurines of the new mech designs. That would be cool..

Got some empty space on the shelf that needs filling, after all.

#7 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

IWM (Iron Wind Metals) tries to keep the fanbase up to date on their mini making process on the Battletech forums since their own forum went kaput. I've not heard any news about this, but even if they did chances are they would be backlogged for almost half a year.
I couldn't see The Powers That Be reboot the boardgame like that, if Dark Age click game taught us anything its the possible idea of a reboot is bad to think about.
However there is fan sculpting! IWM will gladly take your money, make a sculpt, give you store credit, and sell that new mini on their site. In fact that's part of the reason why there is such backlogging on their releases. They've actually shut down the fan sculpt program for a little bit so they can get caught up.

#8 Kami Shinigami

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

View PostJon Vekken, on 02 December 2011 - 07:55 AM, said:

Perchance a new WizKids Clix game... this time centered around the clan invasion instead of some silly "Dark Age"....?

Where is my "Hate this" button?
Clickytech is one of the worst things to happen to Battletech

#9 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

View PostKami Shinigami, on 02 December 2011 - 11:24 AM, said:

In part because of the whole Dark Ages era it spawned.

#10 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

I would like some new models...based mainly off the TRO 3050 art
Alexis works looks good for MW but in CBT it starts to look a little too
much like Heavy Gear.

Is there any word on updating the rule systems at all? maybe tweaking
the system to handle more than 4 mechs on the board within a reasonable
amount of time?

which has always been the bane of getting a game going, I can wrap up a
500pt 40k game within 30min-1hr....a 5k game of btech? arg!

#11 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

If the normal Battletech game is too long you could always play Quick-Strike rules. Its really just Battleforce but you play with individual 'mechs and it is very abstract but fast paced.

#12 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

I'd like to see figs based off the FD art. Compared to companies like Games Workshop, Battlefront, and Privateer Press - the sculpts for 'Mechs (yes even the Iron Wind stuff) feels a decade behind.

#13 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostAtlas3060, on 02 December 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

If the normal Battletech game is too long you could always play Quick-Strike rules. Its really just Battleforce but you play with individual 'mechs and it is very abstract but fast paced.

no offense, but after playing the normal btech; and reading the quick strike rules quick strike would be more appealing to newer players and overall feels better for todays tabletop :I

I like CBT just wish it could do certain aspects either better or faster

#14 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

no offense taken, my group plays both versions and agrees for long battles we'll whip out the Quick Strike.
Whenever we help the local Demo Agent we also play the quick start rules you can download from the site in order to introduce the new players.

And they have been creating Quick Strike record sheets as fast as possible for every era of play so you have a selection between normal and Quick Strike.

#15 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

View PostKami Shinigami, on 02 December 2011 - 11:24 AM, said:

Because it was more popular? Let me see, there's still at least one Battletech group in the cities around me I think but I would have to go look to find them, don't have much advertising. "Clickytech" on the other hand when it was in full swing I could find 2-3 game tournaments at least 4 days a week depending how far I wanted to travel. Yeah the stats were simplified to crap and beyond but I played way more games with way more people and had more fun. Also have not seen much from Ironwind to rival the Dropship I got from that game. Though that wasn't fun to use so much as just looked awesome, even with the IW minatures.

View PostAtlas3060, on 02 December 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

And they have been creating Quick Strike record sheets as fast as possible for every era of play so you have a selection between normal and Quick Strike.

Woah...really? Will have to look for these. I liked Battletech but honestly the number of dice rolls in that game felt ridiculous when Wh40K rolled much quicker with more units on the table. I sort of wished they could bring Battletech down to a Warmachine like system, with the stat cards etc. Wouldn't be as detailed but certainly faster.

I did like the look of the Quick Strike rules/stats though. Only missing some of the fun rules which look compatible anyway. Some of the depth is great but when the game runs slow on small comparative scale it can be hard to get others into it.

#16 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

View PostKaryudo-ds, on 02 December 2011 - 02:56 PM, said:

Woah...really? Will have to look for these.

From the depths of the Internets I command these links to RRRRIIIIISSSSEEE!

Downloads section for Battletech which also has the quickie rules for Quick Strike and free Quick Strike sheets for the introductory boxed set 'Mechs. There's also free downloads for Battleforce counters in case you don't have minis.
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=27

Now onto the stuff that costs money.

Quick Strike sheets for designs in 3039. Cost $5.99 and its also a PDF. The great thing about Battleshop is they'll alert you if they have news about a product you bought, let's say they've gone and updated some things...you get the ability to download that fixed version for free since you already bought it earlier!
http://www.battlecor...roducts_id=2439

Quick Strike sheets for 3050 tech! Cost $5.99 same song and dance as before about product alerts.
http://www.battlecor...roducts_id=2502

Quick Strike sheets for 3055 designs. Cost is $5.99 same song and dance as before about product alerts.
http://www.battlecor...roducts_id=2889
And that's not all! Designs for 3060 all for the low low price of....$5.99!
http://www.battlecor...roducts_id=2650

The Battletech crew is slowly but surely trying to show that Quick Strike can be a valid system of play, it might never replace the old methods but its a fun new dynamic into the Universe.

#17 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

If i play test it, and I can have fun mech matches with more than 12 models...then I sure as hell hope it replaces the old system
barring a major rewrite of the old system, its an 'evolutionary' dead end ^_^
I've come to grips with that

#18 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

View Postlahyenne, on 02 December 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

I'd like to see figs based off the FD art. Compared to companies like Games Workshop, Battlefront, and Privateer Press - the sculpts for 'Mechs (yes even the Iron Wind stuff) feels a decade behind.

This basically. It is 10 years behind.

#19 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

IWM has resculpted a number of designs to add more detail and pose-ability, and it doesn't make sense for them to re-resculpt so many designs. Also their latest big project is the smaller Battleforce miniatures, designed for a more abstracted ruleset that plays company scale combat at a fairly fast pace. (and the minis are pretty sweet too)

Folks that follow BT news, know that part of the reason we have not yet gotten a full set of High end plastic minis for the new box set (and a full set of the clan 3050 omnis in plastic) is due to Topps fears about another debacle like clickytech. (they have a fear of plastic it seems)

- really I hope we can get some premium plastic sculpts (like the Hellbringer, and Summoner premium Plastic models in the 25th anniversary set), for common IS designs, and all of the 3050 omnis. (after all we have accurate cg models of all of them now, in all standard configs).

#20 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

so let me get this straight; Ultra A\C's fire at only twice the
fire rate of a normal autocannon...but they are depicted
with up to 6 barrels!? meanwhile the Inner Sphere invents
Rotary A\Cs that look exactly the same but can fire
up to 6 times!?

that doesnt make any design aesthetic sense! I had never
seen a depiction of UA\C's being multi-barrel, I had always
just assume it worked off a double-action internal in
the firing mechanism.... <facepalm>

and I never undertood why PPC's have 5 little holes on
the end of the barrel...

Edited by Aaron DeChavilier, 03 December 2011 - 12:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users