#1 Rawnblaed

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 44 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

I am looking for my first IS heavy mech. I have Clan lights (Arctic Cheetah), mediums (Shadow Cat) and heavies (Ebon Jag) and the IS Hunchbacks for a Mediums. I've only been playing since about April (Seriously since June maybe) so I am still kinda new. I have heard Thunderbolts are great IS heavies. I was also thinking about the Marauder package. I am not in clan wars yet (or a unit) but would like to do so eventually if that matters. I need some IS heavies to round out my stable so I can do IS or Clan in CW. I like long range peek and snipe, as well as LRM boating if I have the armor and backup weapons to deal with lights. I also like to mid/short range brawl if I have the armor for it and the heat management. Suggestions?

#2 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:42 PM

I have enjoyed my Bolts and Jaegers for years now. Good mechs, plenty of fun build options.

#3 Blackwolf 1 1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:28 PM

The classic heavy lrm boat for the IS is the Catapult, which is a pretty great heavy all around. The variants involving missiles are all good, then you have the K2 for an energy and ballistics platform. It runs PPCs well because of its high arm mounts, and can do some light ballistics as backups in the torsos. I ran the K2 for a very long time as the variant I kept after mastering the chassis. If you're willing to drop some real $ on the game, the Jester is a very fun variant. It is all energy based, has a much higher engine cap than the other variants, and has jumpjets. It's definitely my favorite of the Catapults. The Catapult line is a lot like the Hunchbacks in that there is something for everyone :) good luck with getting into the world of heavies!

#4 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

People will try to tell you about the "best" mechs.

My advice: play what you have fun playing

If you like LRMs, a Catapult is a solid choice and they definitely have the room to mount good backup lasers.

Thunderbolts are mean laser boats, and pretty durable to boot.

Jagers are also alot of fun, and can be run in a variety of effective ways.

My personal favorite IS heavy is my Orion ON1-P, I love it dearly even if it's not meta

I'm waiting on my Black Knight (an old favorite of mine) eagerly as well

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

Thunderbolt, period. Wide array of capabilities between chassis, excellent hitboxes, and a fair amount of speed - they are also very solidly meta for the Inner Sphere in Community Warfare drop decks.

#6 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

Long range peek and snipe? The Jagermech is KING.

3 AC5, or 3 UAC5, or the awesomeness of Dual Gauss, or some unholy mix of the three (or even dual AC20's) - the Jager rules all.

I've probably run in excess of 1K matches in Yagers reaching back to their release date, and they are one of my absolute favourite mechs, especially Dual Gauss.

Any of the variants can run it - the DD (though it's better with UAC's) the S (prolly best overall) and the A, which lets you reach out and touch targets out to 2.5km. I once nailed a kitfox deploying out of a dropship on Boreal from behind our gate. It did bugger all damage, but was still awesome.

It's design and hardpoint locations means that it will likely also be one of those mechs that relies far less on quirks than others to be effective, so it should fare through any drastic rebalances better than other heavies with more pronounced shortcomings.

#7 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

Thunderbolt - great mech may be nerfed if looses quirks. Std engine keeps cost down

Jaegger good mech less reliant on quirks. Some good/great builds require XL

I started with catapults and the chassis has a great range of builds, but durability to alpha does not cut it as much anymore. I can get many of similar builds to do better on quirked mediums.

Best heavies are clan and they are more forgiving with mixed loadouts and their advantages do not count as quirks so they get less pressure be changed. Unless you are just set on CW or like lore faerie tales, get Twolf, Hbringer or Ebj(last choice for me). Their flexibility and durability/speed with the ability to get results from non-optimized loadouts can be more fun and cbills in the long run. (NOTE ATM my Thunderwub 2lplas 3mplas does just as well as clan heavies, but it is the only build I run. I have 10 clan heavy builds that I run routinely)

#8 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

Really depends on your play style. the Thunderbolt has severed me well: The 5SS for close range brawls, the 9S for ER PPC snipping and the 9SE mid range brawler. All three have decent speed and durable as hell but play very different. Many play the Grasshopper for the same reason though a XL is needed for many builds and that means sacrificing durability.

I haven't played the Catapult as of yet but I like some of the builds. The Orion gets mixed reviews but a few swear by it.

I played the Cataphract when it was still a trail mech, only complaint would be it's broad shoulders makes it a easy target.

#9 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

If you really like Missles the answer is Catapults, if the answer is Lasers,PPC and or Ballistics the answer is Cataphracts.

Want some of both try Stalkers, yes I know they are not heavies but they are just that great. I wish my Warhawks were more like Stalkers.

#10 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:00 AM

Sounds like the Catapult is up your alley. The C4 was my first mech in MWO and I still miss it.

I doubt you would be unhappy with a Thunderbolt though, they are IMO the tankiest mech in the game and have some great quirks.

#11 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:20 AM

Thunderbolts and Jagermech, those two are really must have for IS players, for Clan players I would suggest Timber Wolf or Hellbringer.

#12 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostTheLuc, on 30 September 2015 - 04:20 AM, said:

Thunderbolts and Jagermech, those two are really must have for IS players, for Clan players I would suggest Timber Wolf or Hellbringer.

I'm an IS-exclusive player so far, and own neither. No mech is a "must-have", sorry.

#13 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:42 PM

i think the main "entry" point for IS heavies are:

jagermech
catapult
cfataphract/orion

from these you can pretty much transfer those skills to other similar mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users