Breaking The Meta Series

209 replies to this topic

#41 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

"bad build" is my KFX with 2 JJs + ECM + 1 CERPPC + 2 LRM5 + 2 MGs...it is not great...but it is pretty interesting to play...

#42 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 16 September 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

oh come on

low psr, high psr, it's all a pile of bs

right now a player with sub 25 games can be constantly dropping against members of the top units like cjx, sjr, lords in the solo queue
Well members of those units yets. But I was talking about group play. But for solo if you decent PSR you still have to carry. And you can only carry so much in commando. :)

#43 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:26 PM

View PostApnu, on 16 September 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

I'd say I was there but I wasn't. You were spamming LURMs again weren't you?

:P

Not really 3 LRM 5's, 2 Large laser and a AC/5
Not my normal lurm spam sandwich B)

#44 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 16 September 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

Not really 3 LRM 5's, 2 Large laser and a AC/5
Not my normal lurm spam sandwich B)

I prefer LRM15s for LURM spamming. I like them in pairs, the weight, damage potential, and reload time seem to be the sweet spot for LRMs.

An exception to that rule is on the spare AS7-S(L) I have. (I have two so one's for brawling, the other's for LURMing) Because of the missile tubes and number of missile hard points its a LRM25. One LRM10, three LRM5s, and I chain fire them. Its a weird build. The left side is LRMs and TAG, the Right side is AC20 and MLs. But it also works. Its like mashing the HBK-4G and the HBK-4J together in one mech.

The other exception, goes without saying I think, is the HBK-4J. That thing is a LRM10 god. When PGI takes that quirk away in the re-balacing it will be a sad day for the HBK-4J. Until then, I'm milking it.

#45 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

Out of curiosity, since you can slap a UAC20 on a clan mech and putz around at 100kph nuking whatever you see... has anyone found any legit IS light mech builds that can host an AC20? Other than the joke Raven, of course.

#46 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 17 September 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, since you can slap a UAC20 on a clan mech and putz around at 100kph nuking whatever you see... has anyone found any legit IS light mech builds that can host an AC20? Other than the joke Raven, of course.

Urbie with the negative weight engine :lol:

I can't wait for light autocannons as I like to mix it up from the usual lasers and SRM builds on lights, but its hard to pack on ballistics.

#47 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 17 September 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

By definition, a "legit" IS light mech with an AC20 is a joke. See the Urbie's lore.

Having said that, the Urbie is totally legit and you should fear it. For the Urbie stalks your nightmares.

#48 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

View PostApnu, on 17 September 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

Having said that, the Urbie is totally legit and you should fear it. For the Urbie stalks your nightmares.

I don't fear it one bit. I'm the one piloting it. :D

#49 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostApnu, on 17 September 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

I prefer LRM15s for LURM spamming. I like them in pairs, the weight, damage potential, and reload time seem to be the sweet spot for LRMs.

An exception to that rule is on the spare AS7-S(L) I have. (I have two so one's for brawling, the other's for LURMing) Because of the missile tubes and number of missile hard points its a LRM25. One LRM10, three LRM5s, and I chain fire them. Its a weird build. The left side is LRMs and TAG, the Right side is AC20 and MLs. But it also works. Its like mashing the HBK-4G and the HBK-4J together in one mech.

The other exception, goes without saying I think, is the HBK-4J. That thing is a LRM10 god. When PGI takes that quirk away in the re-balacing it will be a sad day for the HBK-4J. Until then, I'm milking it.

Nooooooooooooo!

#50 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 17 September 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

Nooooooooooooo!

There there my friend. We can shed out tears into our beers as we lament our losses. My poor Grid Iron will never be the same.

#51 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 17 September 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

Nooooooooooooo!

Here let me help you:
Posted Image

#52 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

View PostApnu, on 17 September 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

Here let me help you:
Posted Image

Let me make that even better

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

#53 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

View PostGyrok, on 16 September 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

"bad build" is my KFX with 2 JJs + ECM + 1 CERPPC + 2 LRM5 + 2 MGs...it is not great...but it is pretty interesting to play...

That is what most meta fanboys would call a bad build. My sincere congrats to you Gyrok for having the massive rocksolid...well you know....to play with this thing.
4 cERML and a single SRM2 with half a tonn of ammo like the Ice Ferret the OP had ain't a bad build no matter what kinda mech it's mounted in....unless it's an assault mech of course.
The build needs to have a certain flavor of true otherworldly weirdness to it in order to break away from the meta.

Furthermore you need tactics thought up by someone who truly belongs in an asylum for the insane.
Tactics that demands that you do the opposite of the current meta which is Form a deathball and charge...or do the Nascar.
Does this break away from the meta enough?
Non Meta Light Mech Tactics Guide.

It's a way to fight that demands you stay away from the team. Preferably alone or with 1 teammate at most.
It's actually proven somewhat useless against premade teams since they are so aggressive that matches end very quickly.
Most effective in PUG matches with a flexible build with capability to hurt a target at any range.
In short it's inferior to meta tactics during short stomp matches but has a lot of potential when a match drags on.

Now that's breaking away from the meta in plenty of ways i think.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 17 September 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#54 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostJman5, on 16 September 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

The funny thing is I occasionally see the great players in non-meta mechs and often times they do just as well in them. Sometimes they even do consistently better. Then they turn around in the same breath and say the mech is bad.

Meta build are sturdy and strong at what they do, but it's not some magic voodoo.

Some mechs are just exceptional at punishing bad players. Novas are up there, so is the 2xUAC20 Warhawk. They're still not amazing mechs

#55 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

Bump for week 2 featuring the Zeus 6S. :)

#56 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Bump for this week's video showcasing the new (L)oyalty variant of the Wolverine!

#57 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

Bump for week 4 Atlas DDC video:

#58 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostKristian Radoulov, on 16 September 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

Last night my roommate and I were having a long talk about the meta and how people's closed minds when it comes to mech builds take so much of the fun and variety out of the game.

Where is your 6 Flamer Locust?

#59 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostJman5, on 16 September 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

The funny thing is I occasionally see the great players in non-meta mechs and often times they do just as well in them. Sometimes they even do consistently better. Then they turn around in the same breath and say the mech is bad.

Meta build are sturdy and strong at what they do, but it's not some magic voodoo.

Sometimes it's the amount of effort you have to put into playing that decides if it's bad or good. Three mechs charge me around a corner when I'm in my Direwolf and I get 3 kills and live while mostly just standing in place and twist shooting. That doesn't happen when I'm in a Pretty Baby.

Some mechs allow you to take advantage of terrain features more than others, meaning 'bad' mechs will have less options in combat but can perform well in the right conditions. Good mechs pretty much kick ass no matter where you end up, be it peek and shoot or brawling with high facetime.

Hmm, to better sum it up, when I'm in my PB and I get like 600-700 I'm like "F-yeah!" and I'm just derping around to farm c-bills on my Dire and I get a 3-6 kill 1,000+ damage game and I blink at the end-game score screen and I go like "I didn't even do anything out of the ordinary. I just dropped and shot people." :ph34r:

Edited by Elizander, 23 October 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#60 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 17 September 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Let me make that even better

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Even better?

Also this is what I did to an urban mech just now
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...674508544310c36

I hope this thread doesn't go to K-Town with this many noooooos!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users