So How Is The Territorial Challenge Event Going For You?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Ink Sikes

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

I'm just wondering how everyone else is approaching this. I'm not a particularly skilled player and I find that this event is actually what it calims to be, a challenge.

With my playstyle (crappy) COMWAR is simply out of the question. I cannot rack up enough damage or accomplishemnts to garuntee even a 200 match score. And after 30 minutes it seems like a waste of time when I could simply grind in PUG drops.

Even then I drop by myself so I can quickly move into a new 'Mech or match without waiting for others to take smoke breaks, change their loadouts or whatever takes them so long to click 'Ready'.

I rarely break 500 damage (which seems to be the best way to break a 300 match score) with a good, coordinated team and I have only broken 1000 once... Ever... In a COMWAR Match... So needless to say it's been grinding my 'Mechs and patience.

Thoughts? Suggestions? How are you working through this event?

#2 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

I, too, and a less-than-good player. Have already hit Tier 1 public/group score on 6 of the 9 maps, Tier 2 on one of those. I run mostly light and medium mechs, though.

Kinda disappointing how match score is tied to the raw DMG number, with no regard for the weight (or even weight CLASS) of the mech doing to damage. At least it seems so. Had a 900+ DMG match in a ACH last weekend, and didn't break 700 for the match score. Did a 5-kill match in a SHC during the week, but wasn't top score of the drop, because someone else with fewer kills (and another someone else who was killed, BY F***ING ME), had more damage. IN HEAVIER MECHS, I MIGHT F***ING ADD.

But yeah, the challenge is fun so far.

#3 Outcast1six

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 125 posts
  • LocationEverywhere..........and Nowhere.

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

I like the idea behind the event and I understand why they set it up they way they did.

It's not meant to be done in one 2 hour period. It's meant to be completed over the course of the event. I understand the disqualifiers. I approve of them, but there are way too many variables involved to be fair to everyone. The fact that it was broken from the start didn't help.

The prizes are good and make it worth it. Though 400 is a pretty high bar.

Those things being said here is what I really dislike.

The way the scoring is done in game it brings out all the tryhards. Admittedly, I am running a quad LRM 15 warhawk. That is sort of the only way for me to make the level of damage required to score high. The scoring is convoluted, with damage being so heavily weighed that players with multiple kills won't make the cut without the damage. It punishes accuracy.

F@#k the random map selection. I am sitting on my last tier 2 match. I NEED MINING!!!!!!!! When I get mining, either we roll them, can't do enough damage, or we get rolled, can't do enough damage. I played for roughly 5 hours and I got mining 2 times. WTF!!!!!!!!!! There are less maps in the rotation and, for me, I almost never get mining.

Good event, not very good execution. Not entirely PGIs fault, they couldn't foresee the MEGA TRYHARD that is going on, but they could have done a better job.

#4 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

Lets see, in normal builds, forget about scoring. In Direturrets and missile boats, 400-600 is easy. Now the fun starts when the RNG gets working. Getting mostly maps on which I already have my T2 and IF I get the map I need,... well you can guess. It is either a stomp where I can't get damage in in time or a stomp where we get rolled.

To make matters even more fun,... peeps disco and suicide at obnoxious rates at the moment!

#5 Amethyst Blade

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

In the first 2 hours, I got 400 on 5 maps. After TEN MORE HOURS I still only have 5 maps. I have scored 400 dozens of times but not on the right maps.

Mark Charke

#6 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,623 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostAmethyst Blade, on 20 September 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

In the first 2 hours, I got 400 on 5 maps. After TEN MORE HOURS I still only have 5 maps. I have scored 400 dozens of times but not on the right maps.

Mark Charke

Same here, I did four kills, five KA's, and over three hundred damage on Forest Colony, and well, it didn't qualify. So I switched over to me ZEU-6S, and that took care of it. Seriously though, they could do better with other challenges. I mean, making it easy for CW and hard for Pub matches is ridiculously stupid. 300/400 for pub; 200/300 for cw. In my Opinion, both should have the same amount of challenge points. No exception!

#7 Crashking

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 75 posts
  • LocationIn Game

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:41 PM

So far the challenge has been fun, got most of the public queue match scores done but hadn't put too much effort into the CW side. I know the CW stuff will take more time here since I didn't start right away and the matches take so much longer and fewer folks actually play that side.

Early on for the public side, I thought I had a decent chance of getting up there then I realized the clan has an advantage for the leaderboard side and I just tossed up my comment under the main announcement.

http://mwomercs.com/...01#entry4707001

But I probably should get back to the grind if I hope to complete the give away portion of the event.

Good Luck out there fellow warriors, may all your shots register for points.

#8 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

Between College and work I have had little time.Did get 202 on Boreal Vault against some mixed IS PUGs on some Davion planet that escapes my memory at the moment. Now need to do that 5 more times.

#9 Javenri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

View PostOutcast16, on 19 September 2015 - 07:02 PM, said:

F@#k the random map selection. I am sitting on my last tier 2 match. I NEED MINING!!!!!!!! When I get mining, either we roll them, can't do enough damage, or we get rolled, can't do enough damage. I played for roughly 5 hours and I got mining 2 times. WTF!!!!!!!!!! There are less maps in the rotation and, for me, I almost never get mining.

This is the most annoying part of the event and PGI failed to find a good way to handly the hunting for the right map. As you said. finding the right map is hard as it is and then the team factor comes to play causing grievances. Scoring a good match score is not only player dependant but the whole team. My personal feeling: I do much worse scores during these event days than I normally do in solo drops. A lot of meta is running around (and quite competitive players I may add) making it hard to perform so good.

A bad side effect of the specific map hunting is the selective disconnects from players that don't like the map they got, leaving the rest of the team to fight weakend. In one match I got 3 disconnects from my team and 1 from the enemy. REally bad for gameplay.

#10 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,968 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

How did it go-- not good

I did manage to get my last 2 Ice ferrets mastered
I then decided to try all my Mechs to see how I would do in them, I lived 5 times out of 33 Mechs

Probably 7 victories on the side I was on
2 matches over 300 for a total of 5 over 300 matches

Not one match since the event started did I get over 400
So a long weekend

Edited by Davegt27, 20 September 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#11 Haralachan

• Pip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:45 PM

After wasting away at my computer, I finally got all of my CW qualifications done. It took a lot of effort, and the fact I was in full unit groups. Interestingly enough, my highest scores (500's) were in lighter mechs. ONLY on matches that were won did this happen - by not losing mechs, your score ends up much higher. Using the smaller, faster mechs, I was able to disengage and retreat between waves.

I think one of the bigger flaws in the thought process of this event is the RNG for maps. I've been drilling away at this since the start, yet not until this afternoon did I so much as SEE Emerald Taiga, let alone try to get a successful score. If PGI wanted to save face with this event, I'd suggest that instead of requiring a minimum score on every map, perhaps a COMBINED TOTAL score, instead. So, instead of 300+ for all 6 maps of CW, a combined total score of 1800 across all. It doesn't hand out prizes, as it seems to not be their intent this go around - if you have a sub 300 score in one, that means you must do even BETTER on others.

This doesn't fix the problem of it being hard to do, of course. But a suggestion.

P.S. - A tip for folks trying to get points. One PUG match I took an SRM/MPL SHC. Instead of engaging the enemy horde, I went straight for the D/C'rs LZ. Found a lone banshee, and systematically tore off arms, then side torsos, a leg, stripped all armor and dropped CT and leg to red before blasting the cockpit. With no other damage done, score of 473. Not ideal or 'team oriented' play, but at this point it's an every man for himself scramble to get this done.

Good luck!
o7

#12 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:29 AM

Glad someone was getting it done. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

#13 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:50 AM

I rarely play CW. I have had about 8 gms today for the event and have not cracked the 200+ (6 points shy).
Damage does not seem to be the overwhelming factor...?
Any advice for high match scores?

#14 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:02 AM

I don't like this challenge. It's dangling really nice rewards just out of reach for CW.

PUG drops I can do. It took me a good 9+ hours of grinding, but I got it done with a meta tryhard build and some work. (Tier 2 complete! Yay!)

However, on CW, it's just plain impossible. Not only are the matches well over 2x as long (many pug drops end before 15 min) but the chance of getting the points you need just for tier 1 is miniscule. Especially if playing solo, and playing clan. The IS trials are ******* fantastic right now, and that's good! I think new players should get a chance to try these! However, the clan trials are absolute garbage. Some are OK, but especially for new players it's a real struggle.

I tried a few CW matches, but ended up with nothing but pugs on my team w/trial clan 'mechs, and an enemy of 10-12 mans that were organized. We got destroyed every time, so no matter what I did, I just couldn't break the damage I needed. Plus, even if I did decent (1500 damage) my deaths would reduce my score so low that I didn't qualify anyways.

Because damage/number of 'Mechs used was the way it was calculated (roughly), 4 members of my team on one match just left after doing 500 damage, assuming that if we won, they would automatically get the score without having to do anything.

It's pathetic. I wish they had kept the disconnect thing in. :c

Edited by Night Thastus, 21 September 2015 - 06:02 AM.

#15 Diddi Doedel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:26 AM

View PostHawk819, on 20 September 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

Same here, I did four kills, five KA's, and over three hundred damage on Forest Colony, and well, it didn't qualify. So I switched over to me ZEU-6S, and that took care of it. Seriously though, they could do better with other challenges. I mean, making it easy for CW and hard for Pub matches is ridiculously stupid. 300/400 for pub; 200/300 for cw. In my Opinion, both should have the same amount of challenge points. No exception!

Have you ever tried to reach 300 in CW with the new formula? That means you need to do 500 damage in a single mech, win the match and leaev your 3 other mechs untouched. Need a second mech? No problem, you'll need 1000+ damage now though. Oh? 3 Mechs needed? 1500+ damage and you get your 300. You need all of your mechs? Well, 2000+ damage should do the trick...

#16 Diddi Doedel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

So far I managed all CW maps for Tier 2, thanks go to my unit here.

With Public drops, I am missing Tier 2 on one map, everything else I got. The map simply didn't show often enough yet, but then again, I was mainly focused on CW.

Was a complete weekend of grinding, getting the right maps was the problem, rarely getting the points, well, except in CW.
In CW you are either lucky, by getting your 500+ damage and you retreat while your team carries the victory, or you have to be an awesome shot.

As for tips, in CW, play in your Unit, coordinate over teamspeak/in game chat who needs the points on a map and who doesn't. Those that need it get to farm helpless enemies, be they neutered or disco'ed. The rest of the team makes sure the team wins and protects the ones that need the map for the challenge so they survive with as few mechs used as possible.

In public queue, 600+ damage and you are on the safe side, regardless wether you die or not. Depending on your playstyle, use sneaky and sniping lights, high alpha medium/heavy builds, well armoured brawly assaults or lurm boats. With lurm boats you depend a lot on the map and wether or not your team mates lock targets. With the other options, its up to you.

View PostNight Thastus, on 21 September 2015 - 06:02 AM, said:

I don't like this challenge. It's dangling really nice rewards just out of reach for CW.

PUG drops I can do. It took me a good 9+ hours of grinding, but I got it done with a meta tryhard build and some work. (Tier 2 complete! Yay!)

However, on CW, it's just plain impossible. Not only are the matches well over 2x as long (many pug drops end before 15 min) but the chance of getting the points you need just for tier 1 is miniscule. Especially if playing solo, and playing clan. The IS trials are ******* fantastic right now, and that's good! I think new players should get a chance to try these! However, the clan trials are absolute garbage. Some are OK, but especially for new players it's a real struggle.

I tried a few CW matches, but ended up with nothing but pugs on my team w/trial clan 'mechs, and an enemy of 10-12 mans that were organized. We got destroyed every time, so no matter what I did, I just couldn't break the damage I needed. Plus, even if I did decent (1500 damage) my deaths would reduce my score so low that I didn't qualify anyways.

Because damage/number of 'Mechs used was the way it was calculated (roughly), 4 members of my team on one match just left after doing 500 damage, assuming that if we won, they would automatically get the score without having to do anything.

It's pathetic. I wish they had kept the disconnect thing in. :c

Yeah... Unfortunately it was buggy. But if they had kept it, we wouldn't have seen many of the problem that we now see, or that are reported on the forum.

I hope they fix it in time for the next event

#17 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:49 AM

The biggest challenge for me was landing on Mining Collective and HPG. Didn't get them after something like 20-30 drops, finally threw in the towel and went hiking.

#18 CMGrendel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

Would love the challenge to be extended.

#19 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

I wouldn't worry about this one too much because the way they set everything up means you have no control over the maps you play and whether or not you get the reward basically boils down to luck. Even though no one in my illustrious unit never had any issue qualifying on a particular map, we ended up getting Boreal something like 4 times in a row in one night.

View PostBolter01, on 21 September 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

I rarely play CW. I have had about 8 gms today for the event and have not cracked the 200+ (6 points shy).
Damage does not seem to be the overwhelming factor...?
Any advice for high match scores?

Your match score is halved if you die and drop in a second mech, divided by 3 if you drop in a third, etc., so my advice to you is "do as much damage as you can per life".

Edited by Richter Kerensky, 21 September 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#20 KableGuy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationThe left armpit of the United states

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

Play clan mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users