Are Ppcs And Large Lasers Linked In Heat Scale?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

I looked around in a bunch of places but could not find the answer. So I figured I'd ask here.
Will firing 2 PPCs, and 2 Large lasers trigger the ghost heat? Or are they separated?

Thanks in advance!

Feel free to skip the rest if you aren't interested in my builds or story.

Normally I pick either large laser, or PPCs because even 2 of them is a ton of heat and I don't like assymetrical builds for some unknown reason. However, with Marauder looking as awesome as it did, it'll join my Catapult and Dragon for an Inner Sphere heavy mech in my mech bays. I always thought of Marauder as one of the PPC focused mechs in Mechwarrior 2 (because of Marauder IIC). So I wanted to make something very PPC focused, though just only 2 PPCs is rather weak firepower for a 75 tonner.
Unfortunately, I found out you dont have enough tonnage to fill up the crit slots with heat sinks with 4 PPCs and 4 jumpjets, with no engines slower than 300. Even with a 300 you can only get 16 Heat sinks.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...857dbed74dfb2d7
I wanted to use 4 PPCs (2 ER PPC and 2 PPC that is), cause if I lose an arm I can still put on a punch, but I know that 4 ppcs is far too much heat without extra heat sinks. I use a Nova with 12 ER medium lasers from time to time so I know how to use something like that without frying myself (catches a lot of enemies off guard). However, you can do that with 2 PPCs and 2 lasers with 4 jumpjets, if you use an XL 300 you can have 20 Double heat sinks.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0ff4e53a6635c8e
Just pretend it's a Marauder and the lb-x 10 ammo are jumpjets. If using an XL in this mech isn't too bad.
I'll probably run this from time to time (but quirks may influence the build a bit). I like the idea of using the 2 large lasers for sustained fights, and PPCs for pinpoint damage when I need it, or need that extra burst of damage. Also, if I lose one arm, I'm still good to go with my other arm. I just needed to know about if I alpha with this, will I roast from ghost heat, or if heat scale isn't going to be that evil about it.
Though if I go with 4 large lasers, I could use an XL 325 and slap in another heat sink. Though at that point it'd be more reminiscent of the Riflemann IIC (a speedy one that is) than the Marauder. I'm not a fan of doing something like that unless it's actually the Rifleman IIC.

As for some other builds of the Marauder varaints I've been thinking of that are a bit more specific:
Marauder 3R - 2 PPC, 1 Gauss with 3 tons ammo. XL 350 with 4 extra heat sinks
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...89515b9bdde43ab
Mainly just taking advantage of the fact that the Marauder has a very high mounted ballistic hard point (unlike the Orion), combine that with my love for PPCs and running faster than normal for a weight class, and you get this burst damage guy. Can downgrade the engine for more heat sinks + ammo, and maybe add 2 medium pulse lasers on (wont help much but it's something).

Marauder 3R - 2 PPC, 1 AC/20 with 4 tons ammo. Standard 300 with 2 extra heat sinks.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...93208a80a8c68ca
In case the hit boxes are horrid for side torsos, this is a more close range version of the marauder. If I have to decide between ER and regular ppcs when I play IS I always pick regular cause they use so much less heat (and something different than clan ER PPCs that I normally use).
Outside of these 2 Marauder 3R builds, I can't think of anything fun to do with that single Ballistic hardpoint.

Marauder 5D - 1 ER PPC, 2 LRM 15 with 7 tons ammo, 4 medium lasers, 4 jumpjets, XL 350
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fe31df22c251492
Pretend the Lb-10x ammo is jumpjets, and that medium pulse laser is 2 regular mediums, and the ER PPC is in the proper place.
This just makes my Catapult C1 feel inferior. Meant for LRMing people with double LRM 15s, but it has an ER PPC to poke people when you peek over stuff. I suppose you could replace the ER PPC with a Tag in order to upgrade some other things too and if you're worried about people usin too much ecm.

Marauder 5m - 2 AC/5 with 5 tons ammo, 5 Medium lasers with 6 extra heat sinks, XL 350
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...47bea7c68e599af
Just pretend that the guass rifle + ams ammo are actually 2 Ac/5s, and that the LB-10x ammo are jumpjets, and the medium pulse laser is actually 2 medium lasers.
This build is more for poking people with the high mounted autocannons frequently, and then doing sustained fire up close with medium lasers and ac/5s. Not super proud of this build, but I can't think of anything specific to the 5m that's interesting.

#2 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

They are separate. You can find the full specification of how weapons are grouped for ghost heat purposes here:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale

#3 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

Okay thanks. Just wasn't sure if smurfy was accurate in this particular instance because I thought a long time ago I heard that that large lasers and ppcs were linked and that smurfy didn't show it for some reason. Guess I was worrying over nothing. I look very forward to using the 2 PPC, 2 Large laser build with the Marauder. :)

#4 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

Separate, but I'd be pretty wary firing all four of those at once. Even without a ghost heat penalty, that's a very hot salvo

#5 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:25 AM

View PostKeeshu, on 20 September 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

Okay thanks. Just wasn't sure if smurfy was accurate in this particular instance because I thought a long time ago I heard that that large lasers and ppcs were linked and that smurfy didn't show it for some reason. Guess I was worrying over nothing. I look very forward to using the 2 PPC, 2 Large laser build with the Marauder. :)

I think smurfy is very accurate if anything it takes the data directly from the game itself hence why it says some Inner sphere and Clan lasers are linked in ghost heat even though it's impossible to mount both on the same mech.

As well as once upon a time the Anansi (hero spider) was on smurfy early because PGI added but not to store a week early so you can see it on the place you look for mech pilot skills as well as see it on smurfy so due to the fact smurfy takes data directly from game I think you can even see derp sneak peaks like these.

this is also why smurfy doesn't put up the builds up for future mechs even though there build is already known (ie all origin IIC mechs, all classic mechs, resistance II wolfhound and crab, etc.) is up there because there is no coding of it in the public game yet...

could be wrong though.......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users