New Mech Details For 22-Sep-2015 Patch

66 replies to this topic

#21 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:53 PM

I truly regret purchasing Resistance II thus far. I really didn't think it through. Oh well, better luck next time.

View PostEd Steele, on 21 September 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

The MWO version of the Orion looks millions of times better than the original BattleTech artwork.

The shape of the cockpit still bothers me.

#22 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:12 PM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 21 September 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

I truly regret purchasing Resistance II thus far. I really didn't think it through. Oh well, better luck next time.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Other than the unseen mechs, most BattleTech mechs were American designs and were intended to look more like walking tanks than anime Mecha.

#23 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

It's too bad the R variant at least didn't come with some cosmetic shield on the left arm. Would really bring out that knight feel with my PPC 'sword' :P Though even the PPC didn't look to extend past the hands like the concept art showed :/

Ah well. PGI did mention something about a possibility they may add a way to add mech external cosmetic options in the Town Hall I think.

Edited by Sevronis, 21 September 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#24 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostSevronis, on 21 September 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

It's too bad the R variant at least didn't come with some cosmetic shield on the left arm. Would really bring out that knight feel with my PPC 'sword' :P Though even the PPC didn't look to extend past the hands like the concept art showed :/

Ah well. PGI did mention something about a possibility they may add a way to add mech external cosmetic options in the Town Hall I think.

I am still waiting for decals, so I doubt any other cosmetic customization would be available anytime soon.

#25 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

Alright another Resistance 2 mech with crap quirks. There will be no point in piloting this mech. Do you even read the comments PGI? 10% medium range...wow really? How about 15% range -15% laser duration. You've made this mech useless. If I could get my money back I would. I'm sure the Crab and Wolfhound will be a disappointment as well. And to anybody who says I'm whining or crying. Will you pilot this thing regularly? No? Didn't think so.

#26 Outcast1six

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 125 posts
  • LocationEverywhere..........and Nowhere.

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

I don't know what everyone was thinking when they saw the Resistance II mechs. Sounds like people were wanting 4 head mounted energy hardpoints.

If hardpoint placement is the overriding number one concern, then I am assuming you are running nothing but stalkers and K2 catapults.

But, but, but Muh Quirks?

#27 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

Hard not to deride it. It was intentionally designed to be in any and every single way, form and fashion inferior to the Thudder, Grasshopper, even the much maligned Quickdraw is better.

10 bad IS mechs in a row. Almost 2 years since IS got even a Tier 2 mech, PGI. Drop decks for IS are full of mechs that people have been playing since closed beta. 2 resistance packs worth of, at absolute best, the low side of mediocre.

Do they all have to be bad, PGI? All of them? Not even a single tier 2 in over a year?

Why should we trust any pre-order, other than mech bay decorations and bad mechs to run for giggles? Why nothing worth putting in a drop deck dorm the last year+?

Yes, there is a rebalance coming. When it's here, great. Until then can we feel like if we give you money for stuff PGI we won't be paying for stuff that's inferior to everything that came beforr? Not even better - tier 2. Like 1 tier 2 mech in a bundle. Not even the Clan Pack standard of 1 tier 1 and 1 or more tier 2s, just one tier 2 instead of 1 tier 3 and some 4s.

The brutal reality is that if you had released these stats day 1 of sale you would have sold significantly fewer. That you need to hide how bad the content is to get people to buy it isn't a good thing.

Don't use the BK, request to change your package to a mauler a la carte. I did.

#28 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

Those quirks,...

#29 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:13 PM

They fooled me once with Resistance I.

No way they were fooling me twice with Resistance II.

#30 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

Resistance 1? I love the hell out of my Panthers. Just check my signature link xD. THOSE are good quirks on an otherwise useless mech. But with the rebalancing it'll just make useless mechs even more useless. Or if they weren't useless with quirks...they'll be useless again. PGI is gonna lose A LOT of players with this stupid rebalance thing. Absolutely stupid. Just rework the quirks not get rid of them altogether. I know its to make mechs play there role more but...what role could a slow ass light mech possibly play? Clan mechs are going to dominate even more. And if people say Clan mechs aren't good then I'd like to show you the mechs used during tournaments and events....90% clan. And 95% of those are Direwolfs and Timberwolfs otherwise known as Crutchwolves. Or Skill-lessCrows.

Edited by Ramrod AI, 21 September 2015 - 07:12 PM.

#31 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

View PostKrigg, on 21 September 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

Quirks that R.I.P. Black Knight. All continue drive Thunderbolts.

1 - WTF this structure quirks???? It MUST BE ARMOR!
2 - we need energy long + heat with a lot of enerrgy weapon to be concurent with clantech.

first structure is what you have after you louse your armor.
second the black night is a mid range mech.
and finally I don't think it will need much in the way of quarks should be a solid mech.

#32 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

all you damn whiners think having no quirks made IS mechs inferior previous to them showing up. pretty sure back right after the first clan pack came out, we had no quirks on anything. IS still kicked Clan ass a fair amount. Quirks mainly got added so people would use certain Chassis. hell, the Thud and Wolvie were barely touched before Quirks hit, because people were too damned scared to get inventive with builds.

course, nowadays, we still have the SAME problem. honestly, if Quirks ARE staying, make weapon quirks be ALL General for Missiles, Ballistics or Energy Weapons. no specific weapons.

Only mech i can think of that even SHOULD have one is a Hollander, and that's only because the mech was literally built around that Gauss Rifle.

a slight arguement could be made for Hunchback 4Gs and AC/20s, i suppose.

fact is, specific weapon quirks make SUPER Metas, and hardly anyone ever bothers to try anything else.

Edited by Arkhangel, 21 September 2015 - 07:37 PM.

#33 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

I hate these new chasis that boat energy hardponts. What is the point of having multiple chasis with all energy? The only non-boating chasis in the whole Resistance 2 with anything but energy points is the Mauler.

Edited by Void2258, 21 September 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#34 Nexano

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFrom There

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hell what a mess... I was dissappointed with Maulers but they pretty effective if you use them right. Overall quirks of BK don't look really good - trying to input long range fighter mech quirks into mech with close-mid browler stature can't be good.
Still thunderbolt is currently most effective laser boat. Outage of heatlowering qirks kind suck, but still you have weigh buffer of 75 tons mech, while Thunder is really bulky and easy to hit.
So in the end - i don't mind. In the end we shall see how mech works in real combat. Still if PGI will fail quirks rebalance it will be their doom.

Regards.

#35 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 21 September 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

all you damn whiners think having no quirks made IS mechs inferior previous to them showing up. pretty sure back right after the first clan pack came out, we had no quirks on anything. IS still kicked Clan ass a fair amount. Quirks mainly got added so people would use certain Chassis. hell, the Thud and Wolvie were barely touched before Quirks hit, because people were too damned scared to get inventive with builds.

course, nowadays, we still have the SAME problem. honestly, if Quirks ARE staying, make weapon quirks be ALL General for Missiles, Ballistics or Energy Weapons. no specific weapons.

Only mech i can think of that even SHOULD have one is a Hollander, and that's only because the mech was literally built around that Gauss Rifle.

a slight arguement could be made for Hunchback 4Gs and AC/20s, i suppose.

fact is, specific weapon quirks make SUPER Metas, and hardly anyone ever bothers to try anything else.

As someone who abused the holy living **** out of the Timber Wolf pre-quirks I can say that it was insanely imbalanced. Stupidly, insanely, absurdly. Clan mechs were vastly superior overall to IS mechs. That's why quirks, because being in a Clan mech increased your odds of winning by ~30% or more.

Russ and Paul have already said they know that Clan mechs/weapons are imbalanced. Significantly so, even with quirks. That's based off the telemetry of gameplay and not just anecdotal stuff. So we've getting a big rebalance -

Some day.

Right now though we've got 18 months of bad IS mechs. In a row. Ten (more? I don't recall all of them) in a row that are Tier 3 or less. We don't need the Black Knight to be a decent mech to play *some day*. It's out tomorrow.

#36 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 679 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 September 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

As someone who abused the holy living **** out of the Timber Wolf pre-quirks I can say that it was insanely imbalanced. Stupidly, insanely, absurdly. Clan mechs were vastly superior overall to IS mechs. That's why quirks, because being in a Clan mech increased your odds of winning by ~30% or more.

Russ and Paul have already said they know that Clan mechs/weapons are imbalanced. Significantly so, even with quirks. That's based off the telemetry of gameplay and not just anecdotal stuff. So we've getting a big rebalance -

Some day.

Right now though we've got 18 months of bad IS mechs. In a row. Ten (more? I don't recall all of them) in a row that are Tier 3 or less. We don't need the Black Knight to be a decent mech to play *some day*. It's out tomorrow.

You are definitely right. Clan mechs are still OP. I'm not sure why this is isn't obvious. My PPC that fires 30% faster still does less damage and less range than a Clan ER PPC. My large laser that goes 625 instead of 550...yea real big advantage against 900 meter Clan large laser. Let's not forget UAC's and Streak-6's. Funny how people say "UAC's are bad" Yet they continue to use them and rack up 800-1200 point games...don't get me on Streakcrows...

#37 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:06 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 September 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

Hard not to deride it. It was intentionally designed to be in any and every single way, form and fashion inferior to the Thudder, Grasshopper, even the much maligned Quickdraw is better.

Most of you people either don't know, or don't remember that MW is based on the BATTLETECH tabletop game and MECHWARRIOR pen and paper RPG. These mechs were designed for a tabletop game where having high-mounted hardpoints was not as much of a major advantage as they are in an FPS game. PGI did not design these mechs to be non-competitive, or inferior, they just made these mechs as true to their designs as possible (which they should since this is " A BattleTech Game".

Edited by Ed Steele, 21 September 2015 - 09:07 PM.

#38 Flokoloko

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:28 PM

Sorry, but I cant stand all this "weeks, months, years" of bad IS mechs... KingCrab, Enforcer and Grasshopper are great mechs and Zeus, Urbie and Panther are still pretty good.

They are all no imbalanced murder machines like Timber, Storm, Ebon or Arctic, but thats all extremes in the other direction.

#39 Túatha Dé Danann

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

The Quirks are terrible. Sorry PGI, but for a pure laserboat, it needs some sort of energy heat reduction. Look at the grasshopper, it got it too and its "okay", but anything less is not "okay" anymore.

*sad panda face*

#40 Nik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:31 AM

I thought it has some sort of heat reduction quirks already (energy cooldown quirk). Not sure what some people are whining about?

View PostEd Steele, on 21 September 2015 - 09:06 PM, said:

Most of you people either don't know, or don't remember that MW is based on the BATTLETECH tabletop game and MECHWARRIOR pen and paper RPG. These mechs were designed for a tabletop game where having high-mounted hardpoints was not as much of a major advantage as they are in an FPS game. PGI did not design these mechs to be non-competitive, or inferior, they just made these mechs as true to their designs as possible (which they should since this is " A BattleTech Game".

Agreed. Not every single mech will be meta. As long as you can still make different flavours of mechs 'sing' if you are a halfway decent pilot. Some mechs may take more finesse to make effective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users