Proof They Hate Lrm

30 replies to this topic

#21 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

One being that it allows indirect fire, another being that they don't require aiming.

Then realize that you can't aim LRMs at specific locations, and you'll notice that the only "LRMgeddons" happened when something was -bugged-, like splash damage, or guidance paths that turned LRMs into head-and-CT-seeking death bombs. LRMs have never been "as intended" and "first-tier" weapons together, that's a spot filled by pinpoint, frontloaded damage since the Hunchback-P and Gaussapults first stalked the field, followed by their successors up to the modern laservomit/ Gauss+energy models in the meta.

The only virtue of the LRM is it allows fire support from points impossible to hit with direct fire, and given the prevalence of ECM reducing locks to minimal periods, it's barely even a useful virtue against any decent opponent.

I'm probably one of the last old-beta players that uses them religiously, and they're the most unreliable weapon in the game, with effectiveness being based on whatever amount of ECM happens to be on the field. I've seen good teams that literally had zero effective locks-on-target for an entire game at this point. No other weapon in the game can be so systematically disabled.

Edited by wanderer, 25 September 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#22 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

View Postwanderer, on 25 September 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

I'm probably one of the last old-beta players that uses them religiously

me too lol

#23 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

View Postwanderer, on 25 September 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Then realize that you can't aim LRMs at specific locations, and you'll notice that the only "LRMgeddons" happened when something was -bugged-, like splash damage, or guidance paths that turned LRMs into head-and-CT-seeking death bombs. LRMs have never been "as intended" and "first-tier" weapons together, that's a spot filled by pinpoint, frontloaded damage since the Hunchback-P and Gaussapults first stalked the field, followed by their successors up to the modern laservomit/ Gauss+energy models in the meta.

The only virtue of the LRM is it allows fire support from points impossible to hit with direct fire, and given the prevalence of ECM reducing locks to minimal periods, it's barely even a useful virtue against any decent opponent.

I'm probably one of the last old-beta players that uses them religiously, and they're the most unreliable weapon in the game, with effectiveness being based on whatever amount of ECM happens to be on the field. I've seen good teams that literally had zero effective locks-on-target for an entire game at this point. No other weapon in the game can be so systematically disabled.

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 25 September 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

me too lol

I still use them quite a bit. The reality, however, is that most people are inaccurate with LRMs. Whether it's because of suppression fire, poor shot selection, firing from 900m out, whatever...

I thought I was pretty accurate with them at 40% but then someone posted a 50% LRM accuracy rate...

#24 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 25 September 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

You know that such changes take time, right?
It takes a lot of work to implement that kind of stuff, right?

it takes pgi 6 months to change a number.

#25 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 September 2015 - 03:40 PM, said:

it takes pgi 6 months to change a number.

Posted Image

9 months if related to PPCs.

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

sounds about right.

#27 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 25 September 2015 - 05:01 AM, said:

They lied.
But Novakaine don't give..........
Sorry gotta keep it pg.
Novakaine gonna use em anyway.
Novakaine don't lurm from the back.
Novakaine be up front and center.
Rocketeers gotta represent.
Rocket Rain baby!!!!!
Posted Image

Hey Man whats up.

Yup, I can tell you he does know how to Lurm, we have Stomped and been stomped together, we've made it hail hornets on their shiny metal *****.
That kid the other day about went full ****** when you told him "no, we are going to C4". I would have traded somebodies body parts for LRMs that match. Damn BK.

View PostSputty, on 24 September 2015 - 11:15 PM, said:

The could times LRMs were good they pretty much killed the game. Fighting a battle of 'get lock' and fight out in the most obnoxious way ever caused a ton of people to stop playing. I doubt LRMs will ever be considered a top weapon system for a large number of reasons. One being that it allows indirect fire, another being that they don't require aiming.

They are a weapon for people who have trouble aiming and because of that they will be used by new people until they realize they can just use regular weapons and people who are unable or refuse to use other weapons.

"BLAH BLAH BLAH they are for people with bad aim", no, You are incorrect. My favorite tactic is to chain rattle them so hard I can use my other weapons with out return fire. My aim is lethal. I prefer distance weapons and always carry something with a punch along with my lurms. Like Novakaine I prefer to fight with them at minimum range

You can not deny that some of the highest scores you've ever seen in this game where by skilled Lrm pilots.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 25 September 2015 - 04:15 PM.

#28 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

View PostTractor Joe, on 25 September 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Hey Man whats up.

Yup, I can tell you he does know how to Lurm, we have Stomped and been stomped together, we've made it hail hornets on their shiny metal *****.
That kid the other day about went full ****** when you told him "no, we are going to C4". I would have traded somebodies body parts for LRMs that match. Damn BK.

"BLAH BLAH BLAH they are for people with bad aim", no, You are incorrect. My favorite tactic is to chain rattle them so hard I can use my other weapons with out return fire. My aim is lethal. I prefer distance weapons and always carry something with a punch along with my lurms. Like Novakaine I prefer to fight with them at minimum range

You can not deny that some of the highest scores you've ever seen in this game where by skilled Lrm pilots.

I can attest Tractor Joe is one mean *****..........
Joe is one ok Joe.
Novakaine made TJ a honorary brother B)

Posted Image

#29 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

View PostTractor Joe, on 25 September 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Of course they are.

Because LRMs scatter damage across a target so widely that most targets have to be bludgeoned to death by huge numbers of missiles, while the guy over there with direct-fire weapons simply cores out the target. You'd generally do the job better with a laser and a third of the damage delivered for the same kill, twice as fast.

#30 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:32 PM

View Postwanderer, on 25 September 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

Of course they are.

Because LRMs scatter damage across a target so widely that most targets have to be bludgeoned to death by huge numbers of missiles, while the guy over there with direct-fire weapons simply cores out the target. You'd generally do the job better with a laser and a third of the damage delivered for the same kill, twice as fast.

Don't quite think you understand the economy here, the shiny new toys cost cb, high damage, savored, kills produce vast amounts more cb than alpha coring. I have mechs capable of devastating meta, not how I like to grind.

Also my favorite play style is to use a chain rattle build and hit you with my other weapon/s while you are blinded and are lucky to put damage on me. Real good at catching people from messed up flank angles or while their TMs are busy. My new favorite cb atm is the Mauler 1R. Hit you with 4 lrm5 2 AC5 2LPL or 1 AC5 2LPL 3 LRM10.

#31 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 25 September 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

I still use them quite a bit. The reality, however, is that most people are inaccurate with LRMs. Whether it's because of suppression fire, poor shot selection, firing from 900m out, whatever...

I thought I was pretty accurate with them at 40% but then someone posted a 50% LRM accuracy rate...

I seem to have even stranger stats...

My LRMs with Artemis (just about any of them) hover around 45%. My non-Artemis LRMs seem to hover around 55%. My LRM5s seem to be lower than my LRM20s...

I'm backwards!!!! :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users