C-Uac-2, Worth Taking?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Discojaddi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

So I'm working on an idea for a ballistic build nova for when the rewards get injected to shake up my current nova patterns (which are just las, las, and more las, with MG sprinkles). and it seems the only way it can carry 2 ballistics and have both some backup lasers is if those ballistics are a pair of 2's. I noticed, however, that the only time I ever see C-UAC-2's is on the Trialwolf-B. Are they really that bad? Is there a reason for that?

#2 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

They are pretty terrible.

#3 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

I once tried experimenting with all AC2's. Both IS and clan AC2's are as nearly as useless as the Flamer.
C-UAC 2 is the closest to being worth it but it just cannot compete with a cERPPC. They weigh about the same when you include ammo but the PPC has much less facetime to do damage.
The AC2 family's problem is partially high heat but it's real problem is the relativly low firerate. An IS AC2 needs 3.6 secs to fire 5 times to achieve 10 damage.
WHile the ER PPC does it instantly with pinpoint damage and can do it again 4 secs later.

Trust me when i say that the AC2's are crippled and nearly forgotten by PGI. In the last townhall players asked if AC2/flamer would get balanced soon.
PGI's answer was more or less a big no.

#4 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

How about a BIG fat never with a side of FORGET IT? That should answer things for you.

#5 Discojaddi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:50 AM

I've still had success with the IS AC2 backing up a much beefier weapon, such as the classic 2ac2/2ac5 JM6-S and 2ac2/2uac5 JM6-DD, and I run a CLPT-K2 with 2ppc/2ac2 where the ac2 is great for keeping up harassment and dps while the ppc's are cooling, and I run the same 2ac2/2ac5 on the BNC-3E, but this is admittedly because I like to try to use every available hardpoint on a mech, and it seems to work just about as well as the usual 3 5's setup on the same mech. I was just curious if the C-UAC2 was viable on its own, but the consensus here appears to be no.

#6 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

Likely not. AC2 variants run surprisingly hot, since they have the same heat as an AC5 and faster firing rate. So you're saving some tons but losing damage and overheating faster. Bad combo. Range bonuses aren't hugely important due to the difficulty of hitting moving targets (especially hitting specific components) at extreme ranges either.

Stick to C-UAC5 and 10s, in pairs if possible. They always seem to better for me in pairs (some redundancy if one jams).

#7 Discojaddi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 25 September 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

Stick to C-UAC5 and 10s, in pairs if possible. They always seem to better for me in pairs (some redundancy if one jams).

That was my initial attempt, but the nova just does not have the tonnage for a pair of 5's build that makes me happy. looks like it's back to the mechlab for me.

#8 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:53 AM

4 uac/2 are funny on a Dire with the rapid fire control, but not really useful except for some nice shaky shaky in the enemy cockpit...

#9 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostDragonfodder, on 25 September 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:

So I'm working on an idea for a ballistic build nova for when the rewards get injected to shake up my current nova patterns (which are just las, las, and more las, with MG sprinkles). and it seems the only way it can carry 2 ballistics and have both some backup lasers is if those ballistics are a pair of 2's. I noticed, however, that the only time I ever see C-UAC-2's is on the Trialwolf-B. Are they really that bad? Is there a reason for that?

I had similar problems long ago, the Nova just does not work well with ballistics (although it can be done). I would flip flop between the u-a/c 10 and a u-a/c 5 + u-a/c 2 combo but never could get it to work well. I eventually switched to the Stormcrow, the extra 5 tons allows for easier ballistics builds because most ballistics weapons are heavier and you need to carry ammo for them. If your dead set on the Nova, try the 10 for big burst and 5+2 combo if you want sustained damage.

#10 Discojaddi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostHomeskilit, on 26 September 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

I had similar problems long ago, the Nova just does not work well with ballistics (although it can be done). I would flip flop between the u-a/c 10 and a u-a/c 5 + u-a/c 2 combo but never could get it to work well. I eventually switched to the Stormcrow, the extra 5 tons allows for easier ballistics builds because most ballistics weapons are heavier and you need to carry ammo for them. If your dead set on the Nova, try the 10 for big burst and 5+2 combo if you want sustained damage.

I actually ended up trying a build that's a UAC 20 and 2 ermls, surprisingly effective with JJ's. I will never play the SCR, best medium in game or not, because I think it looks stupid :P

Edited by Dragonfodder, 28 September 2015 - 10:27 AM.

#11 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostDragonfodder, on 28 September 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

I actually ended up trying a build that's a UAC 20 and 2 ermls, surprisingly effective with JJ's. I will never play the SCR, best medium in game or not, because I think it looks stupid :P

Do not play anything because it is "good", play it to have fun and shoot stuff! I picked the SRC-B because Kai used it to smash Vlad's face in (happened in the books). It also comes stock with a UAC 20 and has a little more speed, though i often lament the lack of JJ. If you can get the Nova to work and enjoy it then more power to yah! I salute your mechlab skills sir.

#12 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:42 AM

clan ultra 2s are just awful. DPS weapons that require you to stare at your opponent and jam just as fast as other clan ultras yet have a faster firing rate. oh and they are no lighter than ultra 5s when you consider the additional heat they generate. and because of that heat, forget lasers as backups.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users