#661 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostRepasy, on 12 November 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

Of course there's no conspiracy! PGI wants to make money, EVERY BLOODY COMPANY wants to make money lol! IGP sucked, which is why they went bankrupt, and PGI rocks because they saved this game from almost assured collapse a year and a half ago. And everybody keeps blaming PGI for IGP's mistakes because the bloody acronyms are so freaking ironically similar! I bet there's a lot of people who don't even know PGI and IGP are completely different companies.

From what I had read, both companies were formed by friends at roughly the same time to compliment each other because PGI wanted to focus on development rather than PR / marketing. I am in agreement though, that the game has mostly improved since the split.

Edited by Ed Steele, 12 November 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#662 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 12 November 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

From what I had read, both companies were formed by friends at roughly the same time to compliment each other because PGI wanted to focus on development rather than PR / marketing.

Yes, otherwise known as Functional Matrix, I believe. In this case, it allows for greater flexibility of resources. Unfortunately, a functional organization causes lack of focus on an individual project, and increased tensions between functional and project managers as they compete for the resource pool.

There's definitely ways to work around the disadvantages of any business structure, however due to the mismanagement of IGP a lot of time x money was wasted in initial development, thus they cut corners to stay afloat. If I am not mistaken, I had heard there were a lot of tensions between PGI and IGP prior to the latter's departure, largely to do with the fact that IGP was attempting to dictate the development direction of the game.

Now, what business does a PR / marketing group have in development? NOTHING. Their job is to market the product. If anything, it should have been PGI telling IGP the focus of development and which game concepts to highlight for the community. The moment IGP stuck their noses in PGI's business the whole system was f***ed.

Not to mention, IGP was COMPLETELY out of touch with its customers. Which is why MechWarrior Tactics was a total flop, and MechWarrior Online was on the verge of flopping before PGI decided, "F*** this s***, we can do better on our own."

AND THEY HAVE.

Edited by Repasy, 12 November 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#663 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostRepasy, on 12 November 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Yes, otherwise known as Functional Matrix, I believe. In this case, it allows for greater flexibility of resources. Unfortunately, a functional organization causes lack of focus on an individual project, and increased tensions between functional and project managers as they compete for the resource pool.

There's definitely ways to work around the disadvantages of any business structure, however due to the mismanagement of IGP a lot of time x money was wasted in initial development, thus they cut corners to stay afloat. If I am not mistaken, I had heard there were a lot of tensions between PGI and IGP prior to the latter's departure, largely to do with the fact that IGP was attempting to dictate the development direction of the game.

Now, what business does a PR / marketing group have in development? NOTHING. Their job is to market the product. If anything, it should have been PGI telling IGP the focus of development and which game concepts to highlight for the community. The moment IGP stuck their noses in PGI's business the whole system was f***ed.

Not to mention, IGP was COMPLETELY out of touch with its customers. Which is why MechWarrior Tactics was a total flop, and MechWarrior Online was on the verge of flopping before PGI decided, "F*** this s***, we can do better on our own."

AND THEY HAVE.

View PostRepasy, on 12 November 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

AND THEY HAVE.

Yes they have!

#664 MoonDragn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMonrovia, MD

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

I never did get my money back from that whole MWT fiasco. I just backed Battletech today I hope this time around I get a real game...

#665 ColonelProctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 243 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHorn Lake, Mississippi

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

View PostMoondragn, on 04 May 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

I never did get my money back from that whole MWT fiasco. I just backed Battletech today I hope this time around I get a real game...

Yeah I backed MET as well. I have faith in the HBS Battletech because :
:Jordan Weisman is behind it of course and
: HBS has had successful gamed with the Shadowrun stuff

#666 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:35 AM

View PostColonelProctor, on 04 May 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

Yeah I backed MET as well. I have faith in the HBS Battletech because :
:Jordan Weisman is behind it of course and
: HBS has had successful gamed with the Shadowrun stuff

Yeah, it was a definite thumbs up when I saw who was producing it. Posted Image

#667 ZealotTheFallen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

IMO and past experience, every one is just giving money to RUSS, they laugh they let Mechwarrior rot in it's own failing features, while taking the money for their newest adventure. If past history repeats itself then, money goes to ????????? game is rocked with PGI features and everything fails.

#668 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

MoonDragn you will almost certainly get a game. HBS has a track record for completing the games they kickstart. As to whether it'll be the game you expect. Well that's really up to you to research and come to your own conclusions.

#669 luigi256

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

The Beta for the game is on track for June 1st according to the update e-mail they sent out a few days ago so I don't think you have to worry on if you will get a game or not.

#670 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

View Postluigi256, on 15 May 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

The Beta for the game is on track for June 1st according to the update e-mail they sent out a few days ago so I don't think you have to worry on if you will get a game or not.

If you have watched the latest teaser and the 1hour backer update PVP battle, you will see you that the game is on track to be everything a BATTLETECH fan has ever wanted and everything that Tactics failed to deliver. Even my skeptical friend, who is also a backer, is now convinced that BATTLETECH will be a great game.

Edited by Ed Steele, 15 May 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#671 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAt home, at work, or on the stage... mostly

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

Looking fwd to this release as well. I watched the latest pvp video, however I didn't like the white outline on the mechs that wasn't present in the pre alpha video, it could be just a setting I know but I didn't like it. Details... :)

#672 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

pgi can have my money.the $HIT is getting wet in the basement.....

Edited by SHRedo, 15 May 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#673 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

They did a great job on the shadowrun games, although I like a bit more bling in the graphics/art department.

Battletech look like it will polish up quite nicely, great gameplay and campaign is a given already.

#674 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostMoondragn, on 04 May 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Most of us did not get our money back, apparently, there was a brief window of time when IGP was going under that some people were able to file claims and get their money back, but information on how to do that was not widely available. I read this on a forum some time ago, so I can not provide proof of my claim.

Edited by Ed Steele, 16 May 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#675 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:31 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 15 May 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

If you have watched the latest teaser and the 1hour backer update PVP battle, you will see you that the game is on track to be everything a BATTLETECH fan has ever wanted and everything that Tactics failed to deliver. Even my skeptical friend, who is also a backer, is now convinced that BATTLETECH will be a great game.

As much as I'm looking forwards to it I'm not sure on that. The MP footage looked worse than I expected and definitely steps away from the TT game I remember so fondly. Either way I'm eagerly waiting for the 1st June....

#676 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

View PostAramuside, on 19 May 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

As much as I'm looking forwards to it I'm not sure on that. The MP footage looked worse than I expected and definitely steps away from the TT game I remember so fondly. Either way I'm eagerly waiting for the 1st June....

It does use the Unity Engine, which usually used for browser-based games, but I think it looks good considering. I guess we will have to wait and see how the final product turns out, but I have faith in HBS.

#677 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

The multiplayer part of the backer beta was delayed for an undetermined amount of time. :-(

#678 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 26 May 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

The multiplayer part of the backer beta was delayed for an undetermined amount of time. :-(

Yeah I'm undecided if to beta the single player side as prefer that in the finished product. :(

#679 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 26 May 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

So a big positive as it means we'll get to test the game for a lot longer, as HBS have said they'll be at least a months PvP testing.

Sorry but I don't see the PvP delay as a bad thing at all.

#680 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

It's definitely a bit of a downer (we get fewer features to play with on June 1) but again it shows good judgment on the studio's part to take it out of the beta release instead of just infuriate players with connectivity issues. The game will still come out this year at the current rate, and I like almost every design choice I've seen so far (mostly the UI is a bit dull at the moment, too much black and white). I've got full confidence in HBS at this point, and holy smokes it's almost June 1 already :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users