4 Med L Vs 3 Mpl

9 replies to this topic

#1 shopsmart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:39 AM

Been mulling over this one for a bit now. 4 ML vs 3 MPL. 4 ML is 20 dmg/16 heat vs 18 dmg/12 heat. Seems almost better to go MPL as sustained fire and heat control. Granted 2 tons more, but wanted to see what the community thinks.

#2 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:47 AM

Id say MPL=the beam stays more on target. but thats my personal preferance.

#3 shopsmart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:48 AM

Forgot to post that. That makes it even better in that kind of choice.

#4 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:51 AM

For med lasers I like ML over MPL for all those reasons. I prefer LPL over LL/ERLL for large lasers, because of duration, cycle time, and overall damage.

Edited by Chados, 27 September 2015 - 05:51 AM.

#5 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:27 AM

For now depends on mech quirks , but mpl si more effective for the current meta as face time is deadly and mpl makes it shorter.
Only downside is range , but depends on what your build is for, you will take mpl if you want close range punch and have a lot of them or they go well with other weapons you have , if not might as well get medl for some extra range.

So mpl is for a committed short range punch ( you will as you said want at least 3 = 6t opposed to 4 = 4t of medl ) , and in practice most players see larger damage done with mpl in the stats screen as it is simply easier to keep it a larger portion of the duration on the target than medl, as long as you remember about the shorter range.
For clans this is even more true, and mpl is so much better at it's range than ermedl, though 4 ermed = 4t for 28 dmg but 3 mpl = 6t for 24 dmg so 4 dmg loss there .

Edited by Nik Reaper, 27 September 2015 - 06:31 AM.

#6 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:31 AM

Keep in mind MPL also have a shorter burn time which means less face time towards your enemy but you'll be sacrificing range for it.
Quirks are also something to keep in mind, are they energy in general? Medium laser? Medium Pulse?

Edited by Kira Onime, 27 September 2015 - 06:31 AM.

#7 Jaegon

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 46 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

I guess it often comes down to 4 ml + 2 double heat sinks, vs 3 mpl... Both at 6 tons.

The potential of those other two tons makes it more gray area. :-/

#8 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

View Postshopsmart, on 27 September 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

Been mulling over this one for a bit now. 4 ML vs 3 MPL. 4 ML is 20 dmg/16 heat vs 18 dmg/12 heat. Seems almost better to go MPL as sustained fire and heat control. Granted 2 tons more, but wanted to see what the community thinks.

Gonna depend on playstyle and quirks.

#9 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

View Postshopsmart, on 27 September 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

You can't balance them without including what'd you'd get for the 2 extra tons. Most people who compare MPLAS to MLAS will judge whether 1 MPLAS is better or not that 1 MLAS + 1 HS.

So 4ML + 2 HS (or what have you) vs 3 MPLAS.

#10 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

Don't forget the range reduction on the MPL's also.

IMHO it's really a personal preference. I frequently shift my loadouts back and forth. I do this especially on SL's and SPL's, which is the same issue but with more exaggerated math (13 SL SCR vs 13 SPL's).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users