- - - - -

So, Before I Buy A Clan Mech...

10 replies to this topic

#1 N0D

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:33 AM

(Topic%name) ...there's a very basic and maybe silly question, which i need answered.
Must i buy several variants of a clan mech at the same time?
...Let me elaborate on this. For example, if i'd like to construct this Timberwolf-A, with all his parts being from variant A, except right torso, which is S, then should i also buy TBR-S, strip its RT, and slap it on A? Am i allowed to buy S variant RT by itself? And should i even actually buy it separately, if i plan on buying whole S variant mech next, in some future? What are the hidden expenses involved in buying and swapping parts? And yes, i know that i still have to buy 3 mechs to elite and master - that is not the part of my question.
On the side note, is that TBR-A build good? 3 c-erml's on high LT mount for hill-hump poking (8% negative quirks aren't really that bad by themselves), then 4 c-mpl's and c-uac/10 for shaking and facemelting at medium distances - will it be viable?

#2 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:45 AM

You can buy Omnipods of all variants independently, given said variant is already available for C-Bills in the first place (which in some bonus variants of gift shop stuff might not be the case).

Depending on weight classe, Omnipod prices differ, but they are in the low hundred thousands of C-Bills for TBR if i remember correctly.

#3 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:03 AM

What Carsten said. You can buy 1 Clan Mech and in MechLab, there will be an option for OmniPods when building where you can buy different parts.

I also have a system where you can buy 1 variant of almost any Clan Mech to try it out, basically you buy a variant not offered in the real cash pack. If you like it and want to spend real money, you can do so knowing you like the Mech. In the case of the Timber Wolf, you can buy the A or D for CB since the Prime, C and S come in the cash pack. Current exceptions would be the Hellbringer and any Mech pack not out for CB purchase. If you really like the Mech, you can buy all non-pack versions then pay cash for the pack and have all the variants to master so in the Timber Wolf case, you could Basic the A then D then get the other 3 having 5.

#4 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

You need to buy at least three variants eventually. It's the CT's that allow you to unlock the "elite" skill level ups. So if you buy a Timber, be prepared to grind out cbills or spend MC/$$ for the other 2, or you will be stuck with just the first level basic unlocks (unadvisable). That said, Timbers are just monster mechs in the damage/earning department.

#5 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

the only omnipods which you should buy together with the chassis it's the central torso, and also those which are currently limited to the early adopter or reinforce versions (like certain ach omnipods right now, timber doesn't have such limited omnipods, but tbr-a omnipods used to be such stuff)

each tbr omnipod costs around 360-380k c-bills though, iirc

p.s. for timber versions, pick tbr-s for its ct jj and for the other two you can pick tbr-c/tbr-a/trb-d with the ct energy, tbr-prime is the least useful, but then, it's the classic timber :3

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 29 September 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#6 N0D

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:28 AM

So, uhm... no actual advice on the TBR build itself?

#7 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

View PostN0D, on 02 October 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

So, uhm... no actual advice on the TBR build itself?

Metamechs.com

#8 N0D

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 02 October 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

Metamechs.com

(sarcasm mode=on) Wow, you're so specific! I thought that i'd be advised with "google.com" at best! Thank you so much! (sarcasm mode=off)

...Some of the info in metamechs is outdated. I wanted to hear people's opinion right here.

#9 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

Lasers and more lasers....or streaks and lasers, or lrms and lasers, pretty difficult to build a TW that won't put out enough damage to swing a fight. They are recommended for that reason, speed, armor and the ability to boat enough of anything to win provided you fight at the range your weapons are made for And fight with the team. I don't play TW, actually I do not own any, but yeah, even in a new players hands they can put out Damage quickly and alot of it.

#10 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

View PostN0D, on 02 October 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

(sarcasm mode=on) Wow, you're so specific! I thought that i'd be advised with "google.com" at best! Thank you so much! (sarcasm mode=off)

...Some of the info in metamechs is outdated. I wanted to hear people's opinion right here.

Sarcasm is best used as a scalpel, not a nerf gun.

Anyhow, meta is Gauss+lazor or flat out lazer-vomit. I dont see this getting outdated until some massive rebalance.

Not to disparage my efforts or the efforts of well meaning others here, but this forum is not the best place to learn what is high level-meta play.

#11 valt901

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

Buy the champion variant, it comes with the S right torso already. Then buy the A left torso and do 5ML and Guass. The version you showed has too many lazers. There is no point in mixing ML and MPL and the UAC 10 is bla-za. You will over heat and die and then say Clan's suck and that wont be fun. Try the G and ML build and put them all on the same button for your alpha strike. The charge up is complete right about the time the ML's are done firing. So it's 35 damage with lazers and a additional 10 +5 to adjoining for a devastating blow. Use the high mount 3 MLs for when you get hot and your good to go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users