#1 Hondaracer1124

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • Locationdown at the beach, NJ

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

Hello again,
So being C-Bill poor I'm looking to maximize my inventory. The largest cost seems to be an XL engine.
4-4.5 mil easy. So what's everybody most usefull and cost effective XL engine?
I have a Jester, so I will likley go down the Cat line to elite. I also really want a Jager.
Looking at most builds in this class they seem to run XL255 thru XL315s. I'm thinkig that a XL280
may be close enough to a XL300 build to work. Then adjust others to suit.
Any input is helpfull, thanks!

#2 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

There are several "common" XL engines in the game, depending on what you want to play. The ones to pick up (eventually), either by themselves, or better yet with a mech that comes with one, are a 275 (for mechs that max out with one) or 280 for the same weight, 295 (FS9, others' max), 300 (very common), 340/350 (GHR, maybe a couple of other heavies), and maybe 400 (for some assaults like BLR, BNC). I can't speak too much for the smaller ones, though I think a 200, 225, or 250/255 might be good ones to have.

Of all of those, the 300 is probably the one I use the most. Got it on an ON1-M when they were on sale.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

Depends on what you're using it for, but 280 and 300 are the two most popular.

For something truly cost effective, get one of a select number of 55 ton mechs:
Shadowhawk 5M
Wolverine 7K
Griffin 3M
These come with XL 275 engines virtually for free.

Most M (Marik) variants feature an XL engine. Because of a quirk in PGI's method of pricing the mechs that come with XL engines are ungodly cheap compared to their Battletech counterparts.

Edited by Koniving, 30 September 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#4 W00DSTER

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:42 AM

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

300, 280 and 255 are the biggies. 295, 325 are close behind.

#6 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

The only XL engines I've bought were XL180 and XL125 for my Urbies.

Every other XL engine I own I've gotten by buying a mech on sale. Some sales, especially for the MC only mechs are for as much as 50% off. Once you have a few (the main ones I use are XL300, XL275, and XL255) you can swap them between mechs.

Edited by Danth Reduviid, 30 September 2015 - 09:00 AM.

#7 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

I used 255s for my C1, A1C, and C4. But for the Jester, a 305, and I might get hold of a 295 so I can shoehorn in a couple LPLs at some point. I've got 4xLL now. My K2 goes back and forth between STD 295, 260, or 240 depending on what I'm playing with-my best K2 build mirrored my Jester but for jump jets and I'd have people try to pop a side torso and then dance away thinking I was dead, just to get aced by the two LL on the other side.

The Jester is one of my two most-loved 'mechs. I had a very hard time learning it but now I'm much more comfortable with it than the missile Cats. And I loved LRMing til I was seduced by the Cult of the Laser. Now I'm hooked like crack.

#8 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

I second Terciel's recommendation. You usually want to go up with steps of 25 for the internal heatsink, so that would be the XL250/275/300/325/350. However, the XL255/XL280 weigh the same as the engine just below them, so XL255/280/300/325/350 are the ones you need with the XL295 being the exception as some mechs have an XL295 cap.

For Jagers I always took the XL255 or XL280, for Jenners and Cataphracts the XL300, for Ravens and Firestarters the XL295s. I have no experience with Catapuls but I guess the XL300 will do nicely

Unless you already have it or think you cannot make the build fit anything else, I'd avoid the engines with a 300+ rating that are not a direct +25 step... so no XL315 for me.

Because you want both Jagers and Catapults I think the XL280 is the best choice, though I'd think you want to take the XL300 if you want to emphasize the Catapult more... but it is really too heavy for the Jager. Choices choices...

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 30 September 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#9 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

If you really want a Jager, Then the choice is simple.. Buy a DD, and get an XL-260 with the mech. You will get the mech you want and have a decent XL to play around with builds for a while and is also an engine that works very well in many cat builds.

My most used XL engines are 265, 280, and 300. Lesser used, 210, 225, 235, 255, 325, 340.. Other XL's can be used, but these are the ones i think will fit multiple builds, and not just a specific set up.

as for my catapults, i run a 265 in my C4, 280 in C1, and jester i pack in a 325 for a 90KPH heavy!

Edited by JC Daxion, 30 September 2015 - 09:48 AM.

#10 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

275 will fit the widest range of mechs and still be fast enough to be somewhat useful.

After that 300 is your next bet.

Just don't sell them once you've purchased them (or the old engines unless you have 5+) you'll appreciate not having to buy engines again later when they decide to rebalance the entire game again.

#11 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

250 is only for Panthers and other mechs with 250 max limit.

255 works for Phracts and some 50 tonner builds. I use one on my Hunchback and I put it on my 4X or Ilya sometimes. Can also go on Ravens and Jenners and stuff if you want more weapons.

275 goes okay on most 55 tonners and works decently on Phracts, Catapults and similar mechs.

300 goes on Dragons, Catapults, 55 tonners and a lot of other mechs. I also use them on my Phracts sometimes.

350 works on heavier mechs that need agility. Goes okay on Orions, Battlemasters and so on.

So it depends on what you have.

#12 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:01 AM

View PostHondaracer1124, on 30 September 2015 - 08:31 AM, said:

Hello again,
So being C-Bill poor I'm looking to maximize my inventory. The largest cost seems to be an XL engine.
4-4.5 mil easy. So what's everybody most usefull and cost effective XL engine?
I have a Jester, so I will likley go down the Cat line to elite. I also really want a Jager.
Looking at most builds in this class they seem to run XL255 thru XL315s. I'm thinkig that a XL280
may be close enough to a XL300 build to work. Then adjust others to suit.
Any input is helpfull, thanks!

As Koniving already stated, the XL 280 and 300 are the most commonly used ones. An XL 255 is also very useful to have as it goes well with mechs that need just a bit more tonnage for weapons, it's also the maximum engine rating for certain chassis/variants.

Aside from those, it depends largely on which mechs you intend to use but you can never go wrong with the highest engine rating if it's 300 or lower. These engines always become useful somewhere down the line because engine caps are shared by a lot of mechs thanks to a standardized engine rating to engine cap conversion.

For extra heatsink slots the XL 325, 350, 375 and 400 are good to have, but since no two XL engines over a 300 rating weigh the same those engines aren't significantly better than any other engine in that range, so buy whatever fits your builds and expect it to be expensive no matter how you go about it. The 325 and 350 fit in a lot of heavies and assaults, but for most of them are an especially poor choice either due to tonnage or survivability issues.

Under 255 it's less about which ones to pick and more about which ones not to. Generally speaking, get one that offers the most possible engine heat sinks for a particular mech so you can save crit slots and possibly get both endo steel and ferro fibrous. Many XL engines in this range have the same tonnage or effective tonnage so look closely before buying any of them and always pick the highest rated engine of a given ( effective ) tonnage.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 30 September 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#13 Hondaracer1124

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • Locationdown at the beach, NJ

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:01 PM

Everybody here is great! Look how many responses I got in just 2 hrs. You have given me much to consider, and I learned a lot. People who play this game without these forums miss so much info and experience.

Thanks much, Honda

#14 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:46 AM

You'll only need an XL190, in order to put it in your Locust........ :ph34r:

#15 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:32 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 01 October 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

I bough Pirate's Bane during the sale, for 750 MC. It's was a great deal for a mech equipped with XL190, DHS, Endo and ECM. Good thing you pay MCs for tonnage, not the equipment :-)

View PostHondaracer1124, on 30 September 2015 - 08:31 AM, said:

So being C-Bill poor I'm looking to maximize my inventory.

Buy a mech that comes standard with XL300(Centurion-D), XL275 (Wolverine-7K), and XL250 (Enforcer-5D/P). Wait for C-Bill discounts if you're extra stingy (like me).

If you are concerned about the speed difference between XL275 and XL280 or XL250 and XL255, that means you are not poor anymore :-)

Edited by Kmieciu, 01 October 2015 - 02:34 AM.

#16 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:41 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 01 October 2015 - 02:32 AM, said:

I bough Pirate's Bane during the sale, for 750 MC. It's was a great deal for a mech equipped with XL190, DHS, Endo and ECM. Good thing you pay MCs for tonnage, not the equipment :-)

Me too! :lol:

I thought I was done with Locusts but they weren't done with me.

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:08 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 01 October 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

And an XL180 for your Urbie. :)

#18 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:13 AM

The most useful XL engines to have are:
  • XL255: It's the first XL with 10 built-in heatsinks inside (and weighs the same tonnage as XL255). Some lights using heavy weaponry (Panthers, Ravens), mediums (HBK-4J, Cicada, some Cents etc) and some slow heavy builds (4xAC5s and such) utilize this engine.
  • XL280: It sits mid-way between the 255 and 300 and is used mostly on 55 tonners with heavy weaponry (Griffins, SHDs, Kintaros, Wolverines) and some lights. Not a priority, but it's nice to have.
  • XL295: Max engine for some lights (Firestarters, Ravens) and mediums (Blackjack, VND-1AA). If you want to run lights you'll need this a lot.
  • XL300: The holy grail of the XLs. The XL300 sees so much use between all the classes and sits at such a sweet spot that you can't have enough of this engine. Lights (Jenners), mediums (pretty much all 50 and 55 tonners achieve optimal mobility/tonnage with this), heavies (QKDs, DRGs, JMs, CPLs . . . ) and even some assaults (well, mostly for joke builds) use these engines a lot. Buy as many as you can.
  • XL325: The first XL with three heatsinks in it. While mediums can rarely use it (Trebs usually do), heavies and assaults use this engine a lot. It's especially useful when you're building an energy boat as the extra slot in the engine lets you cram more DHS in. It's also the max engine of the Mauler and the Highlander, two very popular chassises.
  • XL360: This is the max engine for many 'Mechs and you WILL need this a lot. It's the maximum for many mediums (55 tonners), heavies (GHR, DRG, GHR, BLK-KNT, Orion) and is also used frequently in assault builds, because 360 is where assaults start getting responsive.

The rest is optional. But I'll list them anyway.
  • XL190: Locusts use this. Some commando builds too.
  • XL235: Heavy usage in Blackjacks and Vindicators. Some min-max medium and heavy builds(Jagermechs) will need this too.
  • XL240: A useful engine to have before 250. Commandos use it to reach 170 KPH as well.
  • XL340: Battlemasters and Banshees use this engine a lot.
  • XL350: Mostly used in Victors, first engine with 4 DHS in it.
  • XL370-375: A good "gap filler" engine that is rarely needed.
  • XL380-385: Fast assaults use these a lot.
  • XL400: Very frequent use in Banshees and Battlemasters. The only engine with 6 DHS in it, so big energy boats will need this.

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostTahribator, on 01 October 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

The most useful XL engines to have are:
  • XL255: It's the first XL with 10 built-in heatsinks inside (and weighs the same tonnage as XL255). Some lights using heavy weaponry (Panthers, Ravens), mediums (HBK-4J, Cicada, some Cents etc) and some slow heavy builds (4xAC5s and such) utilize this engine.
  • XL280: It sits mid-way between the 255 and 300 and is used mostly on 55 tonners with heavy weaponry (Griffins, SHDs, Kintaros, Wolverines) and some lights. Not a priority, but it's nice to have.
  • XL295: Max engine for some lights (Firestarters, Ravens) and mediums (Blackjack, VND-1AA). If you want to run lights you'll need this a lot.
  • XL300: The holy grail of the XLs. The XL300 sees so much use between all the classes and sits at such a sweet spot that you can't have enough of this engine. Lights (Jenners), mediums (pretty much all 50 and 55 tonners achieve optimal mobility/tonnage with this), heavies (QKDs, DRGs, JMs, CPLs . . . ) and even some assaults (well, mostly for joke builds) use these engines a lot. Buy as many as you can.
  • XL325: The first XL with three heatsinks in it. While mediums can rarely use it (Trebs usually do), heavies and assaults use this engine a lot. It's especially useful when you're building an energy boat as the extra slot in the engine lets you cram more DHS in. It's also the max engine of the Mauler and the Highlander, two very popular chassises.
  • XL360: This is the max engine for many 'Mechs and you WILL need this a lot. It's the maximum for many mediums (55 tonners), heavies (GHR, DRG, GHR, BLK-KNT, Orion) and is also used frequently in assault builds, because 360 is where assaults start getting responsive.
The rest is optional. But I'll list them anyway.
  • XL190: Locusts use this. Some commando builds too.
  • XL235: Heavy usage in Blackjacks and Vindicators. Some min-max medium and heavy builds(Jagermechs) will need this too.
  • XL240: A useful engine to have before 250. Commandos use it to reach 170 KPH as well.
  • XL340: Battlemasters and Banshees use this engine a lot.
  • XL350: Mostly used in Victors, first engine with 4 DHS in it.
  • XL370-375: A good "gap filler" engine that is rarely needed.
  • XL380-385: Fast assaults use these a lot.
  • XL400: Very frequent use in Banshees and Battlemasters. The only engine with 6 DHS in it, so big energy boats will need this.

Great post, a few small quibbles:

The XL360 is significantly overrated IMO (not just by you, but in general). It's 1.5 tons heavier than the XL350 and offers little more for that weight. Generally I can find much better uses for that tonnage by taking a very small speed hit.

No Commando should run an XL190 really, since it's the same weight as an XL195. The XL190 is truly a LCT-specific engine. The XL180 can also be used in LCTs and Urbies, if you want a more widely useful engine (still very narrow use admittedly).

The XL225 often makes Blackjack builds work a little better than the XL235 and is more useful in odd lights (COMs mostly).

Also:
There are a few XLs that truly "got no reason to live" because they weigh the same amount as the next higher engine and aren't the maximum engine for any mech. The XL205, XL220*, XL230 come to mind, there are more. Engines like the XL250, XL260 and XL275 are rarely optimal due to weighing the same as the next-highest rated engine, but are sometimes the max engine for a mech (Panther, ENF-4R and a number of 50 tonners, respectively...). These are generally fine engines to use if they came with a mech you bought, but unwise to buy separately.

*sortof...new guys, consider this one a quiz... ;)

Edited by Terciel1976, 01 October 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#20 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 01 October 2015 - 05:43 AM, said:

The XL360 is significantly overrated IMO (not just by you, but in general). It's 1.5 tons heavier than the XL350 and offers little more for that weight. Generally I can find much better uses for that tonnage by taking a very small speed hit.

I would argue that if you're even thinking about buying any engine over a 350 rating be it XL or standard, think very hard about what you're doing and why specifically you would need that engine, because 350 is the point where tonnage starts to increase a lot and there's a good chance you'll be more effective with a smaller engine and more of something ( anything ) else.
Keep in mind that compared to the 350, each additional step up only adds 1.43% of what the 350 already gives you in speed while you're adding three to five times as much in tonnage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users