- - - - -

Joystick Or Not

12 replies to this topic

#1 Von Webber

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hello Gents:
I am new to the online mech world. I did SP with Mechwarrior 3 but I used a joystick.
Is it possible to use it with mechwarrior online?
I tried re-keying but I must be missing something. Any feedback would be appreciated and thanks for the read.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

It is possible, but really only works well if you use it for movement (secondary hand) and mouse for firing (primary hand). A few players make that work well, but generally it's considered an inferior method, especially if you're using it for primary fire.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:05 AM

I aggree with Terciel,

Keyboard and mouse is better then joystick for this game

#4 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

I tested a joystick on the left to drive with and it was a little easier but I use my keyboard because it's convenient.

#5 Von Webber

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:38 PM

Hello:
Thanks for the input. There is a problem useing the stick with this game maybe its a key conflict. No worries.

Is there a way to rekey the the default ket settings to my needs? I have tryed but it just beeps...

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:13 PM

View PostVon Webber, on 01 October 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

Hello:
Thanks for the input. There is a problem useing the stick with this game maybe its a key conflict. No worries.

Is there a way to rekey the the default ket settings to my needs? I have tryed but it just beeps...

on options you can change key mappings, do a really fast double click on the item you are after changing, then press the button you want to change it to.

#7 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:00 AM

as a HOTAS player i will admit that it is not the best. but it can be enjoyable. but the i mouse with my left hand, doing torso movement, left button JJs right button center legs to torso. ruining the throttle with my left hand or forearm. joystick with right hands weapon groups and turning. just find using hats and buttons better for me thin keyboard, never did get the hang of touch typing.

the keyboard remapping os kind of a pain but in the setting you have to double click the one you want to change till it flashes then hit the key you want for that function

#8 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

No, not worth the pain. I've been a Saitek X45/X52 user since about 2005. I tried very stubbornly to make it work at MWO, it doesn't. Save yourself the headache (and time lost) and just go joystick throttle in left hand and mouse in right.

Main thing is stick with the mouse for targeting/firing. You won't get anywhere near the same level of performance with a stick. There are a few who have managed to make it work, but they had to become mutant cyborgs to pull it off.

#9 CLANBOY FFI

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:13 AM

Posted ImageThis is my set up and i love it, driving a mech feels real. Mouse used as normal. set stick to axis y (push forward) and axis x (set to right) your stick will now move your mech forward when u push and reverse when u pull back and so on. dont use the joystick throttle waste of time.

Edited by clanboy, 02 October 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#10 PhelenKell

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

Used a sidewinder pro for most mech games in the past. My favorite setup was strategic commander in left and sidewinder in right. Sidewinder offered torso twist and aiming while strategic commander allowed for throttle control and full key functionality... Has anybody integrated these Microsoft peripherals and to what success level?

#11 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

I would say it depends on your goals. If you're just in it for the fun, do whatever you like. If you want to be serious, or even semi-serious about improving your skills, I can tell you the vast majority of higher skilled players in the game use a keyboard/mouse setup.

#12 Gylfie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 557 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

+1 for joystick in left (movement) and mouse in right

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostVon Webber, on 30 September 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

Hello Gents:
I am new to the online mech world. I did SP with Mechwarrior 3 but I used a joystick.
Is it possible to use it with mechwarrior online?
I tried re-keying but I must be missing something. Any feedback would be appreciated and thanks for the read.

It's possible but not recommended. One, MWO's controls are significantly simpler (more FPS-style instead of simulator-style complexity). Two, with joystick controls over mouse precision unless you have a zero-order joystick you simply can't compete.

That said: I use a throttle stick + mouse. All my movement under one throttle stick, all my aiming and firing under a 6 button mouse.

Posted Image
I use the throttle stick (left side, the C shaped side) for all movement, Hold ARM-LOCK, Independent (of torso) arm control, power, override, jumpjets, zoom
The mouse is used for voice chat, aiming, firing groups 1-4 and one button is currently unused. I'm waiting for a "taunt gesture" type command for it. :D

Edited by Koniving, 02 October 2015 - 02:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users