Arena/casual Game Modes

10 replies to this topic

#1 Megacolon

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

I would love to see a casual (non psr) game mode in an arena style of varying participants like 4v4 or 1v1 or Free For ALL in a large or varying size battle arena(s). Divisions of weight class like under 50 tons 4v4, or assault and light team 2v2, or a Free For All 12 pilot Light mechs only game. I have to admit I love this game but sometimes its just too serious, and I would love to be able to have some fun without worrying about teamplay and psr. It would also be a great place to practice and learn as a step after the wonderful training grounds you rolled out! Love it! Keep making this game great for everyone (newbies, casual players, and vetrans/founders) and you will alway have my support!

#2 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:18 AM

Well, what you seem to want is what PGI called a Solaris IV arena , and they said they will consider it, eventually....

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

Solaris VII ? Sign me in !!!
Thats the right place for crazy custom designs..unlike CW where I find them pretty boring.

Also maybe add the option to create your own stable? No matter if its a solo or a group one but you fight your way up the ranks, starting with a light rusty mech and finish with beeing the master of the weightclass of your choice.

That also could be made a permanent competition with a greate final fight at the end of each year with live commentary of the Staff or some professinal. Createing a MWO eSport league, createing much more attention for the game. (and with that some more profit)

Haveing some MWO Solaris VII TV show and all....ok going a bit overboard maybe but that could bring quite some attention to MWO. Something that this game needs and deserves!

I mean get the game modes right. Find a good balance between exiting matches that aren't too long to watch and not to quick that it gets boring.

Create interesting maps for the players and viewers. Start with the original Solaris maps. Two maps that come to my mind instantly are the Steiner Colloseum with walls that can be raised and lowered to instantly change the battlefield or the Marik Arena with multiple levels and elevators.

Inside these maps you need to find some nice camera positions and angles the viewer can swap in between himself in addition to a first person view that we currently have.
I think of it like you have your main view and a set of 3 different views left and right corner of you screen with a simple PIP. Hover over a view and it gets a little bit bigger, click it and it replaces your mainview.
Sound-transition must be smoothed at some point...well thats something for testing.

For bigger events like the finals in a weightclass...take the extra step and get a live crew in to edit the footage on the fly and add a commentor to the action. Such events could be held on a scheduled basis every 3 month.
You could also take the easy route and record the match from all angles and do the editing and commenting later on.
That would make it much easier.

I am not sure about the cryengines ablity do record live action from multiple cameras at once but it works for in engine renders IIRC. Else you would have to use a good spectator that records the action. Anyway I will let the ones who know the engine figure that out. :P

Next step, beside testing, would be to bring in the big groups. Well known players/groups inside the community...do some showfights and get the viral marketing rolling.
Twich, Youtube...you name it.

In the end, if you provide a interesting and challenging gamemode for the players and something interesting for viewers you (PGI) could be very well be on a road to create a new eSport title.

Batteltech lore and Solaris VII in itself provides a nice/rich backgroundstory to be integrated (fighting for a house/stable, ingame bets, rivalary between stables/pilots....), MWO is working and its graphical very nice to look at.

Damn I would watch Mechfights on TV if there would be any.
So get going, I want my Solaris VII TV yesterday !

#4 Megacolon

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 01 October 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

Well, what you seem to want is what PGI called a Solaris IV arena , and they said they will consider it, eventually....

SWEET Thanks Nik!

View PostNesutizale, on 02 October 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Solaris VII ? Sign me in !!!
Thats the right place for crazy custom designs..unlike CW where I find them pretty boring.

Also maybe add the option to create your own stable? No matter if its a solo or a group one but you fight your way up the ranks, starting with a light rusty mech and finish with beeing the master of the weightclass of your choice.

That also could be made a permanent competition with a greate final fight at the end of each year with live commentary of the Staff or some professinal. Createing a MWO eSport league, createing much more attention for the game. (and with that some more profit)

Haveing some MWO Solaris VII TV show and all....ok going a bit overboard maybe but that could bring quite some attention to MWO. Something that this game needs and deserves!

I mean get the game modes right. Find a good balance between exiting matches that aren't too long to watch and not to quick that it gets boring.

Create interesting maps for the players and viewers. Start with the original Solaris maps. Two maps that come to my mind instantly are the Steiner Colloseum with walls that can be raised and lowered to instantly change the battlefield or the Marik Arena with multiple levels and elevators.

Inside these maps you need to find some nice camera positions and angles the viewer can swap in between himself in addition to a first person view that we currently have.
I think of it like you have your main view and a set of 3 different views left and right corner of you screen with a simple PIP. Hover over a view and it gets a little bit bigger, click it and it replaces your mainview.
Sound-transition must be smoothed at some point...well thats something for testing.

For bigger events like the finals in a weightclass...take the extra step and get a live crew in to edit the footage on the fly and add a commentor to the action. Such events could be held on a scheduled basis every 3 month.
You could also take the easy route and record the match from all angles and do the editing and commenting later on.
That would make it much easier.

I am not sure about the cryengines ablity do record live action from multiple cameras at once but it works for in engine renders IIRC. Else you would have to use a good spectator that records the action. Anyway I will let the ones who know the engine figure that out. :P

Next step, beside testing, would be to bring in the big groups. Well known players/groups inside the community...do some showfights and get the viral marketing rolling.
Twich, Youtube...you name it.

In the end, if you provide a interesting and challenging gamemode for the players and something interesting for viewers you (PGI) could be very well be on a road to create a new eSport title.

Batteltech lore and Solaris VII in itself provides a nice/rich backgroundstory to be integrated (fighting for a house/stable, ingame bets, rivalary between stables/pilots....), MWO is working and its graphical very nice to look at.

Damn I would watch Mechfights on TV if there would be any.
So get going, I want my Solaris VII TV yesterday !

I like the way you think bro! Great ideas! DO IT PGI! :)

Edited by Megacolon, 02 October 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#5 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:32 AM

Agree.

#6 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

I'd rather have huge games with more mechs than arena. This game is arcade enough as is...
And PGI could not possible balance mechs for both purposes imo...

Edited by Serpentbane, 03 October 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#7 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

I like the current balance. And btw i have both IS and clan mechs.

#8 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostSerpentbane, on 03 October 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

I'd rather have huge games with more mechs than arena. This game is arcade enough as is...
And PGI could not possible balance mechs for both purposes imo...

I think for bigger matches, which I totaly support, you would first need more players online. So haveing Solaris VII as an eSport could get more attention to the game and those also more players with which bigger gamemodes could be supported.
Imagne Battaltions meeting on the battlefield. That would be quite a spectacle.

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:30 AM

I went ahad and took the original Marik Solaris VII map and made it into a 3D map. (Its the smallest of the maps for those who fear that all Solaris maps are like that)

Currently its not nice or remotly finished. I used simple blocks just to see what it could look like, if its an interesting map.

Personaly I found it very interesting. There are nearly no spots where you can hid for long because you can allways be reached from two sides.
Also lots of nice spots to surprise your enemy. From below through holes in the ceeling or from the roofs or passage ways through the buildings.

I could imagne its a quite different playstyle from the usual maps.
Judging from the size of the Atlas I placed I did say it would be a good map for a small group of 4-6 people

Still some playtesting would be needed to find out if its working or not. Thats basicly where my problem starts...how do I get things into the game...and if its even possible.

Anyway here are some very simple images. Haven't gone into detailing things so far.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostMegacolon, on 30 September 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

I would love to see a casual (non psr) game mode in an arena style of varying participants like 4v4 or 1v1 or Free For ALL in a large or varying size battle arena(s). Divisions of weight class like under 50 tons 4v4, or assault and light team 2v2, or a Free For All 12 pilot Light mechs only game. I have to admit I love this game but sometimes its just too serious, and I would love to be able to have some fun without worrying about teamplay and psr. It would also be a great place to practice and learn as a step after the wonderful training grounds you rolled out! Love it! Keep making this game great for everyone (newbies, casual players, and vetrans/founders) and you will alway have my support!

You can do most of this stuff (not FFA though) right now, if you have two people with Premium Time and make two groups with them as the leaders. Just do Private Matches. You can make the matches a bit longer, and choose your own rules and maps and drop with the team you choose against the team you choose. That's how player-run tournaments are done.

#11 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

As its not certain if and if so, when PG will work on an Solaris I am slowly doing some things. Started detailing the first building. Opinions?
PS: I can only do basic textures so far...but I also consider them something to be done after I am done with geometrie.

Anyway have some images
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users