37 replies to this topic

#1 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts
  • LocationI live in a Mech Hangar

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

Recent news has come to my attention and many others in my area about the dire situation arising on the west coast of the US, Canada, and Mexico. Massive Die offs, extinction after extinction of sea life all over the west coast of the US, yet there has only been 1 news report updating the public about the seriousness of it. CNN only released reports of the lowest lvls found to have contaminated fish on the west coast.

Tuna have been found with skin lesions and fish factory workers have been ordered to just cut the lesions off and process the fish anyways. I dont know if you are aware of this but in order to cause serious bleeding lesions on a mass scale like fish, you are talking about 1000-5000 rads or higher.

All over Washington, Oregon, and California there have been reported to be over 5600 species that went extinct in just 2014-2015 to present day. There have been reports of Tritium found in the peaks of many mountains in California, Oregon, and Washington, which has a warming effect on matter, and can explain the constant warming of the pacific. Snow and Ice in the moutains is vitial to produce a constant flow year round of water, which wont happen now because of the enormous lvls of Tritium. It prevents Snow from staying froze once it lands. Which can explain why California has had no water in the south for so long. Washington and Oregon as well, but not as severe.

Oregon and Washington have perminantly banned all commercial and resident fishing state wide due to the seriousness of radiation contamination and the worry of the extinction of salmon which is vital for the servival for wildlife preditors. Salmon have been found with high doses of Strontium 90* along with Cesium 134 and 137. Strontium is the most lethal, its mortality rating is over 95% if ingested. It also has a half life of 90 yrs! Cesium 137* 30 year half life.

http://www.washingto...seals-sick.html

Just a SMALL sample of what is happening, and what has been covered by multiple sorces not just 1.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

K.

#3 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 October 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

K.

Y

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, damn shame.

#5 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

Really can be only one thing.

Posted Image

#6 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

Wrong forum.

#7 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:41 PM

bye

#8 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts
  • LocationI live in a Mech Hangar

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 01 October 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

Wrong forum.

I think you wondered into the wrong forum, it says "GENERAL" lol

#9 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 01 October 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

General discussion for the mechwarrior universe. The forum section you are looking for is this off topic discussions. Try again bud.
http://mwomercs.com/...ic-discussions/

#10 Wyest

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 01 October 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

Actually it says: General Discussion
And then below that it has: For constructive general discussion of MechWarrior® Online™

Sadly, the rise of Godzilla or even MechaGodzilla doesn't belong in here. And neither does your OP.

#11 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

This is the danger of nuclear fission power plants. I'm not saying everyone agrees with the decision, but "collectively" humanity has chosen to accept the risks involved with using this form of energy generation.

I'm also not saying this is "all fine and dandy, as it should be" or anything like that. It's unfortunate that this happened, but it is "our" own fault for using nuclear reactors in the first place. It isn't right, but it's to be expected, particularly when things go awry.

I'm also not an expert on the subject. I only know what I've learned over the years, which is not really all that much beyond the basics. But I will say we do kind of have to live with it now. There's not too much that can be done now that the damage has been done afaik; to my knowledge we have no means to rapidly clean up the radiation, and we certainly don't possess the means to bring back the species that went extinct, or else we'd have the dodo back by now, I'd wager.

..Even so, I do so hope we're trying what we can to fix it to the best of our ability. Radiation can be a terrible thing to have around.

#12 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

First vid: said everything is fine but dramatic beat added for increased validity.

Second: vid removed because even youtube said enough is enough.

**** vid: is a "by the book" conspiracy theory documentary with nobodies posing as expert or have seen things with "their own eyes!", are you calling them liars?

#13 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 01 October 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

Really can be only one thing.
Terribly ironic. Or a self-fulfilling prophecy? :S

I'm skeptical, though. Yes, a ridiculous amounts of irradiated water has been leaked into the open ocean, but considering that said ocean is fairly huge, I have doubts it would reach the US coast in sufficient concentration to cause this sort of effects. Don't get me wrong, even radiation below safety levels has detrimental effects on cells, but radiation even exists in nature, so below a certain point it doesn't make sense to worry.

If there's been strange effects on ocean life near the US coasts, I'd rather suspect some local origin, such as contamination with pharmaceutical goods, agricultural pollution or toxic waste.

If higher doses of radiation were found off US coasts, I'd probably start looking at domestic nuclear facilities. Or is it perhaps possible those fish migrated from Japan to the US?

#14 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 02 October 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

Yawn. If I was to get worried over all these things I would killed myself ages ago.

I don't give two shits about this. At all.

That is a fair point of view, tbh. There are a lot of things that we might as well not worry about because there's not much we can do to fix it, like the possibility of a NEO crashing into the earth and causing armageddon. When I learned about that as a kid I couldn't stop worrying, but eventually I just said "To heck with it, if it happens it happens." I've been much happier and livelier since. :P

#15 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostWonderSparks, on 01 October 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

This is the danger of nuclear fission power plants. I'm not saying everyone agrees with the decision, but "collectively" humanity has chosen to accept the risks involved with using this form of energy generation.

lol?

Exhibit A:

Posted Image

Look at all the tests in the Pacific Ocean. Oh my. And that was decades ago.

I'm also not saying this is "all fine and dandy, as it should be" or anything like that. It's unfortunate that this happened, but it is "our" own fault for using nuclear reactors in the first place. It isn't right, but it's to be expected, particularly when things go awry.

Umm. Nuclear power is the single greatest resource we need to tap between now and when we leave this Earth for the stars. There is enough fissile material on our planet for at least 10,000 more years of power production. Nuclear power is incredibly safe as long as you don't do something moronic like build a nuclear power plant next to the coastline that is prone to earthquakes and tidal waves... AND... build the backup generators in a concrete pit without a drainage system--pits that are GREAT at retaining water that can short out the backup generators for the cooling system...

Most of today's nuclear reactors are net-negative. What that means is if you take your hand off the button, the reaction will dwindle until it stops. Chernobyl was net-positive. We don't make those anymore.

I'm also not an expert on the subject. I only know what I've learned over the years, which is not really all that much beyond the basics. But I will say we do kind of have to live with it now. There's not too much that can be done now that the damage has been done afaik; to my knowledge we have no means to rapidly clean up the radiation, and we certainly don't possess the means to bring back the species that went extinct, or else we'd have the dodo back by now, I'd wager.

..Even so, I do so hope we're trying what we can to fix it to the best of our ability. Radiation can be a terrible thing to have around.

It would behoove you to learn way more about this subject. You might change your mind. Radiation is everywhere! Did you know... that in a given second... 65 billion neutrinos pass through the Earth.

That's a lot. And they are all around us... and we can do NOTHING about it.

We are exposed to radiation constantly... from things like these...

Posted Image

And...

Posted Image

I'm more worried about a gamma ray burst from a supernova destroying our planet than I am nuclear power plants wiping us out. Below ground net-negative nuclear power plants are amazingly safe, have sealed cores and are the future. If you don't believe me... Believe this guy...

Posted Image

He's pretty smart. He has invested in this company here...

Posted Image

Read all about it... if you dare.

The truth is, without nuclear power, we will not manage to create a useful interstellar spacecraft in any reasonable period of time within the next hundred years. Nuclear power is useful, safe and a necessity for our survival.

As for the OP... That's all just a bunch of...

Posted Image

#16 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 October 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

-stuff-

I do know this and that about the subject, yes, and I am aware of how powerful it is as an energy source. I'm just saying it's a volatile thing that needs to be handled with care.

Besides... FUSION is where it's at. B) Fission is just way too wasteful, but it's the furthest we're at on the global scale afaik.

I might read the entirety of your post later, but for now I've got drawing to do, I don't feel like reading EVERYTHING, I just skimmed through it and caught what I responded to. :ph34r:

#17 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:42 PM

View PostWonderSparks, on 02 October 2015 - 01:33 PM, said:

I do know this and that about the subject, yes, and I am aware of how powerful it is as an energy source. I'm just saying it's a volatile thing that needs to be handled with care.

Besides... FUSION is where it's at. B) Fission is just way too wasteful, but it's the furthest we're at on the global scale afaik.

I might read the entirety of your post later, but for now I've got drawing to do, I don't feel like reading EVERYTHING, I just skimmed through it and caught what I responded to. :ph34r:

Fusion is a LONG way away. I write hard science fiction. I spent a LOT of time reading about all sorts of fantastic physics stuff--especially research reports from scientists. The long boring kind that most people would use as toilet paper.

I wouldn't count on Fusion--useful fusion happening until we manage to master the higgs boson and shape space-time. We just can't make a net-positive reaction that is sustainable and useful.

Fission is not wasteful at all if you use breeder reactors to re-use and re-enrich the fissile material. It can be very efficient--but, like fusion, the collection of the heat to turn it into electricity /is/ wasteful. They both are equal, in that regard.

Fission is also something we can control. I know a few nuclear engineers. With proper reactor design, implementation and maintenance--it is very useful and safe.

Sometimes man must cultivate what they can use now--and optimize it as best they can until sometime far, far away they figure out a better method to solve the problem.

Fusion is wishful thinking right now for many reasons.

#18 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 October 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

Fusion is a LONG way away. I write hard science fiction. I spent a LOT of time reading about all sorts of fantastic physics stuff--especially research reports from scientists. The long boring kind that most people would use as toilet paper.

I wouldn't count on Fusion--useful fusion happening until we manage to master the higgs boson and shape space-time. We just can't make a net-positive reaction that is sustainable and useful.

Fission is not wasteful at all if you use breeder reactors to re-use and re-enrich the fissile material. It can be very efficient--but, like fusion, the collection of the heat to turn it into electricity /is/ wasteful. They both are equal, in that regard.

Fission is also something we can control. I know a few nuclear engineers. With proper reactor design, implementation and maintenance--it is very useful and safe.

Sometimes man must cultivate what they can use now--and optimize it as best they can until sometime far, far away they figure out a better method to solve the problem.

Fusion is wishful thinking right now for many reasons.

See, now THERE is something I didn't know we actually did. I had always thought "Wouldn't it be great if we could just reuse the waste material for new fission reactions?"

It certainly appears you know more than I do, so I tip my hat to you. Obviously I can't butt heads with you or swap ideas because you know more, so let's leave it at that, eh? ;)

Fusion may be wishful thinking, but it's a wish for a positive future. ^_^ Whenever it may or may not happen. XD

#19 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:55 PM

Posted Image

Please please please pleeeeeaaaaaaaaase

send this to K-Town.

The birds. We hunger.

#20 generalazure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:48 AM

With some countries just dumping their nuclear waste into the ocean regularly, Fukushima should not make much of a difference. Try blaming Russia instead.

@Blastman: I think it's hilarious that you talk about building a useful interstellar spacecraft in the near future but think controlled fusion is too hard. One of these things has existing experiments, the other does not even work in theory...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users