#21 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:26 AM

Hey fellow CGB fan.

As others have said, sadly you have had a bad run in. For the most I find the MWO community can be quite good compared to other communities. Sometimes it is hard to do, but ignoring the idiot bad sportsmanship players is one of the best things you can do. Clan Ghost Bear International has it part of our CoC and reinforced through the CGBI community during drops.

There is a lot of good sportsmanship going in the MWO community and you can see the subtle hints of it peppered through matches.

GLHF-Good Luck, Have Fun. or variations of it at the start of a match. I usually see one or two people putting up this at the start of the match. I use GHHF-Good Hunting, Have Fun as I got tired of wishing my enemy luck

Periodic GS-Good Shoot/Good Kill, etc. I see these frequent enough and type it as well once a week I find. Sometimes, someone really does get a good shot off on you.

GG-Good Game. Nothing like a friendly shaking of hands at the end of the match, I always feel GG is the digital equivalent.

Sometime you get the huge wire tearing surat dogs who show poor sportmanship, I say you log the name away in your mind and hunt him out next time you see him in a drop, quiaff?

Best advice, hook up with a unit and well, seeing CGB flag on you already I offer a home in CGBI (To any other new/renew players as well who are reading this). We have a training program for our sibko that will bring you back up to speed quickly. If you like Lore, we try to hold to it as close as we can being people playing a game for entertainment in the year 2015. We realize real life comes first. We are open to more casual players and have a home for those who are more serious. We can help clean up some of that toxic feeling.

Posted Image

Edited by CoffiNail, 03 October 2015 - 07:29 AM.

#22 Robot Kenshiro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

I for one don't abuse ppl for being new or getting used to their mechs etc. For one. I suck too. I suck cos my team likes to Nascar. I suck cos my team all goes right and I get tail ended by...Nascar. I suck cos I try and hold some ground and engage the enemy...but my tram likes to Nascar. I try and help others while they are under fire giving them cover fire while they reposition hoping they'd turn after repositioning to help me hold the line...but that person chooses to Nascar. I have targets in sight and in radar range. 7 red blips pop on my radar...clearly visible and I KNOW it's CLEARLY visible for my team as well...but they Nascar the opposite direction in stupidity thinking it's such a great tactic. It only takes 3 enemy mechs to turn and fire upon Nascar team...wow...they now scatter....get killed. ..the replies sometimes. ..*oh fark man we should of pushed instead of Nascar l* and it's usually this person who Nascars says this at the end.
I will abuse the **** out of Nascar ppl. I don't care who you are that crap is not tactical. And ad for our friend here who wrote this post getting abused for trying to kill a light with ONE medium laser...I'd like to see ANY of you try doing that in an assault mech against a nimble light mech. So to any one that likes to belittle ppl for having a good GO you guys can STICK IT. Any one who wants to NASCAR can also STICK IT.
And I agree. The community to new player on WoW is ALOT better. Sure there's always scum bags. But MWO has some very nasty ppl who think they are just that much better.
/frustrated rant at ppl who think they are better then others...OFF.

#23 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

This sort of thread does happen way to often and needs to be addressed. At very least instead of dumping new mechs, spend a bit of love on player retention. WoT and WoWs has an easily approachable player reporting system. 10 reports and they're banned. All they have to do is click and report the type of behaviour.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough welcome back.

#24 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

Like the others said one reason for the increasing verbal abuse in matches is the difficulty to report such behavior and on the other hand the multitude of ways to be REALY REALY contraproductive for your team without even knowing . (Your match score and dmg may look fine but beeing the one undamaged mech at the end of the game without ammo and no real weapon left while your team is dead is just....yea go figure)
Running out of ammo with LRMs ...or using LRMs at all, is often regarded as active insult to your group ( if you realy want to know the details please read the many many threads if, why and how much LRMs CAN suck if you are using them wrong )

So yea sadly the verbal abuse has increased and yea its often due to ppl feeling constantly beeing saddled with guys and gurls refusing to play with and for the team.

#25 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostGungnir888, on 02 October 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

Is having half a dozen players shouting at you in a match normal behavior?

No.
While I'm guilty of doing this in group drops, usually you'll never really find more than 1, mayyyyyyyybe 2, salty players on your team.

#26 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

The bad news is that I don't think these *sshats would've cared if you had flagged yourself as a novice. If anything, I fear it might invite even more vitriol and disparaging comments. When you run into these unfortunate individuals, I think the best you can do is take screenshots and report, and let PGI wave the banhammer if necessary.

The good news is that these people aren't that common. Most players are really nice, in my experience, so I hope the OP will stick around. In the ~2000 games I've played, I've only been insulted by name a handful of times. Generic "crap team" whining is more common though.

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 03 October 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

I prefer a less passive solution [of course you do Fen]

Yesterday something similar happened in match. Was down to a 10-10 and we lost, then some jerk called out the last guy to die with "worst aiming ever, learn to shoot"

Player responded back "back off its my 4th day here"

Rest of team responded "yah back off jerk"

Key here is that the rest of the team pushed back and defended the new player. Not only does that shut the bully up, it shows the newbie that the community is not toxic, just the lone jerk.

Silence is taken as approval. If you see a newbie getting bullied by a jerk, step up and say something. You don't even have to interact with the bully, simply tell the newbie "ignore him, he has a tiny penis" or somesuch.

Stick up for each other.

I REALLY like this suggestion. If you see one of the bullies in action, let them know that they suck -- and more importantly, let the target know that the rest of the team doesn't share the sentiment.

#27 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 03 October 2015 - 05:43 AM, said:

I've seen this, too, in World of Warships. Nearly all truly bad behavior has been from more experienced toolbags in higher tier games who take their little pixel boats pathetically seriously. They'll be the ones most likely to rant and rage, threaten to teamkill, and so on like spoiled brats. Meanwhile, in the lower tiers, people just do whatever and unless they are being actively horrible, nobody really complains or cares.

I can contest to this. Last night, after being stomped so many times in T3 (was not having a good time, between bugs and bad positioning, etc). I heard more trash talk in my matches as T3. Finally, after 8 losses in a row I finally dropped down to Tier 4 again. One drop there, and I saw more communication and teamwork there than I did in all 8 matches in T3 that night. Was so much better. (And even when someone was doing something wrong, they didn't insult the person, but instead yelled at them "King Crab! Move forwards!" They were right. They called for an action. They did not insult the player.

Is it sad I have more fun in my tier 4 matches than when I'm in my Tier 3 matches? (I'm Tier 3 again.)

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 03 October 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

Silence is taken as approval.

Yes. It is.

I have and will stand against this toxic behavior every chance I can. I have stopped behind cover before to do it. And yes, I take extra flak and toxic spewage for it as well most times.

When we see this bully behavior, be it in games or real life, we really should stand up against it. (Then again, I'm probably saying this because I was bullied all throughout my school years. I no longer tolerate it now.)

View PostKira Onime, on 03 October 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

No.
While I'm guilty of doing this in group drops, usually you'll never really find more than 1, mayyyyyyyybe 2, salty players on your team.

I quite often have 6-12 players shooting at me. It's called "the enemy team". :P

Joke aside... It typically is only 1, maybe 2 people (unless they are a team in CW/group queue, but that would be different) that may get touchy in a given match. If they get too vulgar, screen and send a report to support (via E-mail).

#28 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:16 AM

View PostTesunie, on 03 October 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

I quite often have 6-12 players shooting at me. It's called "the enemy team". :P

Joke aside... It typically is only 1, maybe 2 people (unless they are a team in CW/group queue, but that would be different) that may get touchy in a given match. If they get too vulgar, screen and send a report to support (via E-mail).

Personally in my case it involves elmer's glue and the action of eating it.

I can't speak for everyone but I generally don't ask for everyone to carry, I just want them to at least be able to pull their weight in a match. There's only so much one can do when 6+ players on your team struggle to even break triple digit dmg numbers.

Edited by Kira Onime, 03 October 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#29 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:17 AM

the way alot of players play here is what make alot of people toxic.
no team support.
no thinking what their mechs can do.
no initiative.
i regularly flip out by the amount of terrible playing no matter what tiers, what mechs and such stuff is displayed.
even if you have only 100 battles played you should get a plan already how things work.
its not that hard yet people are unwilling to learn from their failures.
is it really that hard to move forward while the enemy has alot of lrms? it seems so. because lrms are totally OP (heard one today again that said that *facepalm*)

is it that hard to NOT abandon your assaults to hunt down a single HBR that is already under fire from 4 mechs without even having the chance to do something against it? yeah well, 8 mechs ignored enemy movement just to kill that single mech that was dead anyway.

do you really wonder that some people are getting mad with such things?
yeah its a game but that doesnt mean that you can turn off your damn brains.

#30 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PostKira Onime, on 03 October 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

There's only so much one can do when 6+ players on your team struggle to even break triple digit dmg numbers.

Some of my bad matches in my Panther I got very low damage. Couldn't break 100 damage. Of course, when the game decides to teleport you, make you hover, or you take mystery damage from behind cover, not to mention SRMs that want to shoot and disappear and dealt no damage... Or you just die with a single hit from dual Gauss from full health (don't ask how, as a Panther has over 30 health on each important component)...

Sometimes, something prevents a player from doing well. Other times, well, if it's Conquest I may have even been capping (but those matches I typically still manage to break 100 damage, but not always).

Some actions that help the team may not be combat heavy. So, consider these things when you look at the damage scores.

View PostAlienized, on 03 October 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

do you really wonder that some people are getting mad with such things?

It's okay to be upset about those teams/players/events. The issue isn't getting upset, it's taking your anger and vocalizing it into the game in a insulting manner. (By text or voice comms.) By all means, shout at your monitor with your frustrations. The rest of the team doesn't need to be insulted. (Which is where the difference is.)

On the other hand, helpful advice is always (or should always) be welcomed.

#31 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostTesunie, on 03 October 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

Some actions that help the team may not be combat heavy. So, consider these things when you look at the damage scores.

1 or 2 players I can understand but more often than no in group drops, it will be entire lances of an "organized" group.

#32 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

View PostKira Onime, on 03 October 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

1 or 2 players I can understand but more often than no in group drops, it will be entire lances of an "organized" group.

I was once a 1 man in an 11 man CW drop. They made demands (not asking). I ignored demands (because they never asked). Then they didn't tell me their tactics, until it was too late (with sarcastic "okay this is what we are... Tesunie, what are you doing!?!?" I think it was planned, seen as the chat came out before I reacted to being spotted, without going into details). Then I continued, for the rest of the match (and it spilled onto the forums even) to be harassed by 11 other people. It was the first, and so far ONLY, match I left willfully without completing it. I politely informed my opponents that I could not play with my team, and was sorry I had to leave. The enemy gave me more sympathy and felt sorry I felt that way.

I took screens of the conversations in match (but my computer lost them), and reported them for their behavior, and for my disconnect.

I saw it as, this is a game. I don't have to play with 11 other players who are set on insulting me. So, I left. (I even left that faction to avoid them. That apparently wasn't enough effort on my part according to them.)

Trust me. I know what you mean. I still even occasionally see those same players in match occasionally. And the problem ones from my previous experience still continue to insult their teams for even the slightest provocation or considered slight. (And I still stand up against them...)

#33 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

While I didn't read through everyone's comments, most of us agree that while this does happen, it isn't necessarily the norm.

The biggest jerks tend to stand out. Ignore them, don't take it personally. Their mothers and fathers didn't hug them enough.

Someone should have stood up for you, or offered some advice.

It took me a long time to get to a skill level I consider 'decent' and there are still times I fail horribly. Also remember there are some situations you will most certainly fail in, an LRM boat is not a 1 v 1 fighter.

And being in a stalker w/ only 1 medium laser to use against a light, even with the chassis Mastered, I can say I would most likely (read 100pct) die unless the light pilot was a complete noob. Even if he was somewhat damaged and I was fresh. You can back up against a wall, but you will still most likely die.

I don't know your build, or if you were missing components. But w/ a stalker try to run 4 medium lasers and the rest LRMs, maybe a tag in there. Its nice to have some punch when enemies come within 180 meters.

#34 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

I was in a match in Terra Therma one night and the team wasn't gelling. That happens sometimes. This one guy with this tremendously thick Jersey accent was on VoIP giving us all what for. Not one of the eleven of us escaped abuse. Finally, one of my teamies who'd just got iced (right after I did, frankly) types into the chat box:

"I'm sorry angry guido...I tried."

I choked on the cup of coffee I was drinking and laughed so hard I actually had tears.

And then in the next match the angry Jersey guy was on the other team...and I gunned him down with a lucky LPL shot from near max range, he was the second Red to go down, too. And was he mad! He gave me six different kinds of eternal heck over chat, and criticized me for my 300 or so damage score. My response:

"Well, I never said I was any good at this. Just good enough to get YOU. :P"

He actually laughed at that. We ended up parting on good terms.

You never know what might be motivating an angry player. He or she might just be having a bad day.

#35 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

In any online game where devs have a clue you can see how many games / how much experience a certain player has. Not in MWO. So, only thing people can see is your founders tag, i.e. a person who is playing the game for 3+ years. Add to that the general dislike for LRM boats who remain last alive and fail to deliver and you get the idea ...

#36 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:39 AM

Turn off chat. Problem solved.

#37 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostGungnir888, on 02 October 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

Hello,

I am a founder. I love mechwarrior, I stalked and funded various fan rebuilds over the dark ages. Not the novel series, but the period where nobody was able to put on their neurohelmet and fire the ignition. I was disappointed by the early release, and left MWO during beta.

Last week, I decided to come back. I find myself rethinking that decision at this point. Since my return, I have roughly 60 matches to my name. I score between 80 and 300 points depending on how derp I feel that particular match.

Until tonight, I haven't had an issue with the community. I was LRM boating in a STK, and the final kill came down to me and a light mech. I had one medium laser at my disposal. I did not perform well, and we did not win the match.

It's the internet, and a thick skin should come with the territory, but the constant barrage of how terrible I was playing was a new experience for me. I try to keep a low key involvement in something until I understand what I'm doing. I thought LRMs and watching how players engage each other might be a soft entrance into the game.

For the first time in over 20 years of internet gaming, the comments from the community drove me away. World of Warcraft literally exhibits better behavior to new players.

I don't want to suck, and I'm not normally a twitch gamer. Is having half a dozen players shouting at you in a match normal behavior?

Outside of a rant and a breather, my point was to determine if there is an easy way to flag myself as a noob. It doesn't solve a toxic community, but at the very least it might allow experienced players to identify those that would be amenable to constructive criticism.

That magnitude (6/11) is pretty unusual, but there will usually be at least one tryhard-wannabe in the team that believes that, had YOU only not sucked, it would have been a stunning 12-0 victory complete with parade and cake and ice cream. To that germ gobbler, YOU let everyone down.

I'm going to talk in generality here a little, based on what you've imparted to us in the OP. You were in an LRM boat assault mech, and not a particularly nimble one. You faced a single enemy in a light mech, and were at a shortage of appropriate weapons for the task. And you're relatively inexperienced in this game. If you had managed to even knock off a damaged component from the light, then you did just fine.

I was once (early August, I believe) in a similar situation on the other side. In a damaged ACH against a damaged DWF, came down to the 2 of us. I pulled it out because the DWF pilot was apparently either psychotic or brand-new or something, because he headed out into the wide open waters just downstream of the broken ship on the new Forest Colony map, his back (admittedly better armored than his front) to my and my five cSPLs. So, lacking leg armor though I was, it was pretty simple to just chase him down and unload those little red lasers into him center-mass. Sucking as I am at this game, it was still pretty close.

Point being, that a HUGE and slow target like a typical assault mech, one-on-one, is pretty much every light pilot's best chance at a kill. You were at a disadvantage in that fight regardless of your weapons and experience, save for derping SSRM2s and MPLs (which would be TRAGICALLY derp for any assault class mech). To wind up one-on-one with that light for the deciding kill of the match, is just pure bad luck. Especially so if you were an LRM-heavy build.

Okay, so no real way to tag one's self as a newb. Sorry. Your play is going to do that for you. (Hint: Make sure, in the future, that if you're in a similar situation, you put your back to a wall or object, so that the light has to face your front 180 arc and the weapons you have there and your heaviest armor.) But the VAST majority of us would sooner offer a "Good try" than a "Gosh you suck, NOOB". I usually reserve my own offensive comments for just those latter types, and for whoever bumps into my legs too often. (You DO take team damage for friendly collision damage, even if THEY bumped into YOU, and it's not like my SHC or ACH will have plenty of leg armor to go around anyhow.)

If you need someone to spot for your LRMs, hit me up. I enjoy it, and I could honestly use some dedicated LRM boat support for research for an upcoming reconnaissance guide...

#38 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 03 October 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

In any online game where devs have a clue you can see how many games / how much experience a certain player has. Not in MWO. So, only thing people can see is your founders tag, i.e. a person who is playing the game for 3+ years. Add to that the general dislike for LRM boats who remain last alive and fail to deliver and you get the idea ...

founders tag doesnt mean he has any experience.
i once thought that too but so many did not play for years and you can see them playing like that.

View PostTesunie, on 03 October 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

It's okay to be upset about those teams/players/events. The issue isn't getting upset, it's taking your anger and vocalizing it into the game in a insulting manner. (By text or voice comms.) By all means, shout at your monitor with your frustrations. The rest of the team doesn't need to be insulted. (Which is where the difference is.)

On the other hand, helpful advice is always (or should always) be welcomed.

the problem is that people are not taking these advices. they dont even try to understand it.
brawlers suffer the most of it. most times you dont even get someone that keeps your rear clear of enemies.
you just get the typical stupid troll answers.

#39 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostAlienized, on 03 October 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

the problem is that people are not taking these advices. they dont even try to understand it.
brawlers suffer the most of it. most times you dont even get someone that keeps your rear clear of enemies.
you just get the typical stupid troll answers.

Depends on the advice. If I'm trying to do some scouting, and I've got some troll hollering at me for not pulling my weight in a brawl, then I ignore that dipstick's comments and feel sorry for him being born without any sense.

(And let's face it, YES, it's a HIM.)

One of the cool things about playing a game that appeals more to us relatively-ancient folks? A lot less of the 12 year-old kids with their XBoxes playing all Rambo, CallofBattlefield, I-saw-this-on-a-movie-once crap.

#40 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 03 October 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Depends on the advice. If I'm trying to do some scouting, and I've got some troll hollering at me for not pulling my weight in a brawl, then I ignore that dipstick's comments and feel sorry for him being born without any sense.

(And let's face it, YES, it's a HIM.)

One of the cool things about playing a game that appeals more to us relatively-ancient folks? A lot less of the 12 year-old kids with their XBoxes playing all Rambo, CallofBattlefield, I-saw-this-on-a-movie-once crap.

sadly, alot of these young kids play better than the old folks that should know how to play. at least strategical wise. but its not happening here with all the BT wisdom in them. they try to be smart and fail miserably to push into enemies when it needs to be done.

sometimes you got to be rambo to win. just no one wants to be that guy taking the the first step, knowing its gonna be a rough ride. not even in a game they want to do that. pity the fools that risk nothing.
no battle ever been won without a sacrifice. at least support the guy thats doing it, its all im asking for because im that guy each time which sickens me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users