- - - - -

Advice For Griffin Loadout

6 replies to this topic

#1 Kurvi

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

Relatively new player here. Still working on mastering my first mech set and hoarding every c-bill.

Some history: I chose the griffin because I really liked the idea of jumpjets. I started off with the 2N, figuring that I could at least provide ecm services while I was sticking behind the main line and learning the ropes. I've since gotten the 1S and 3M

Anyway, my loadouts have all been more or less the same -- boatload of srms and ML/MPL or two to back things up. Now, maybe it's because I am still relatively new but I have had a real hard time achieving that elusive 300 point score that is oh so important to get awards for all these events. Even on my best games, when the fight evolves into a free-for-all brawl and I get to run around emptying my arsenal without too many people shooting back, I can barely reach the 200-250 mark.

My current assessment is that the short range of the srms means that I really have to commit myself if I want to be able to do any damage, and I'm not fast enough to either close the range or pull out if things go bad. Sure, a couple of the smaller maps are better suited for ambushes, but that's very situational.

Anyway, I was trying to master the 1S when I noticed 3xLL build that Metamechs suggests for the WVR-6K (i.e. "only tier 1 medium IS mech"). The griffin doesn't have all those crazy LL quirks that the wolverine does, but on the other hand you do supposedly get better hitboxes, torso movement and jumpjets.

So after a little playing around, I started running around with this build:

GRF-1S

(275XL, 3xLL, Lrm5+Artemis, 3xJJ)

I know it's not optimized, but my scores jumped almost immediately. I've managed to get over 300 match score in 3/10 games and my average match score has also improved substantially. I attribute all this mainly due to the fact that I no longer have to commit as much if I want to engage and while my alpha has gone down, my ability to affect the battle is a lot less situational.

Anyway....

As the topic suggests, I would like help in improving my loadout. I have a number of ideas, but limited c-bills (and time), and would like to get advice before committing too much in one particular direction.

1) 3xLL -- these are the main damage dealers of the build. At the moment, I can fire them three times before shutdown, which is nice enough to take out a limb if I manage to aim well. Do you guys think it is worth going to pulse lasers? More damage for the same heat, but the extra weight (6 tons to upgrade all three) means I have to compromise on some of the secondary systems or throw out a heat sink or two. Is there some other energy array you would recommend trying (e.g. 2LL + 2ML, 4LL)?

2) Lrm5+Artemis -- I was looking around for something to stick into the remaining weight/crits and this is one of the few things that fit. A single Lrm5 is never going to bring down a mech, but that "missles incoming" message is a wonderful distraction when you're trying to do multiple things, and the extra c-bills for an assist are cool too. Not sure about the Artemis though. I have it from when I ran the srm boats, and frankly I'm not quite sure what to do with the extra ton if I get rid of the Artemis. On the other hand, is Artemis even worth it for an lrm5? Heck, if the target manages to break the lock it might be better if the missiles *did* spread out a bit more.

3) Engine -- I'm currently running the 275XL from the 3M I got. I keep seeing builds with bigger engines, so presumably people find the extra speed useful. I've been thinking of upgrading to a 300XL or 325XL for the extra heat sink space, but they are quite expensive and I'd want to make sure I buy the right one. Any suggestions here?

4) Anything else -- TAG/BAP/armor layout/using those extra energy/missile slots. All constructive suggestions are welcome and I may even try them out if they are not too expensive.

#2 kchunter104

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:17 PM

I run my griffins with 300xl and 325xl engines. I enjoy using a brawler style with SRMS and medium pulse lasers.

If you are going to use LRMS I suggest a TAG, killing an enemy you have tagged with missiles gets you +6k c-bills and more c-bills from TAG damage. It can add up awful fast.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

Well Personally, I see two things you could do that I'd find fun. First off, Artemis on an LRM 5 is a waste. Second, not sure you need all that armour on your dead arm. I like stripping a bit off, since really, all it'll do is distract your enemies with an easy component destruction.

Here is my GRF-1S 'Shift + F11'. This mech lets you turn off the hud, using tag to sight your lasers and with some panic srms for close defence. Also tends to get slightly more missile support than non tagged builds. But not everyone wants to sacrifice utility for pretty visuals.

GRF-1S, Narcy. Because sometime, just sometimes, you wanna narc everybody. Also great for shutting down ecm heavy teams, and never underestimate the benefit of knowing exactly where your enemies are. Seriously, whilest considered trolly by some, the dual narc is a straight trade from dual srm 6s, without the artemis of course. That said, I hate spending cash to de-artemis something.

Not sure if you wanna mess around with the other variants, but you could also try out GRF-3M Nuisance a slight change from a narcless ppc build. (not sure your stance on ppcs.)

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 03 October 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#4 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:52 AM

Recommend the 300XL if you are buying one, can be useful in mechs from lights (jenners) to heavies. Bigger engines will help with the torso twist rate as well as maneuvering speed.

Pulse lasers are always better in asymmetrical builds due to lower duration, but equip mechs with the weapons that you want to play with - it's more fun.

Another option might be running a standard engine - as long as you can keep situational awareness and maneuver well, it will let you "give up" the whole side torso without dying. I find that sometimes the extra agility from the XL helps, and sometimes the extra durability helps.

See you on the battlefield.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

For SRMs, remember they hit with a shotgun pattern, not all will hit, and iirc AMS will shoot down incoming.

Lasers are a DOT-type weapon, meaning in order to get full effect of the laser, it has to be trained on your target the entire time. As noted in a previous post, pulse lasers have a shorter duration. Also weapons will have ranges beyond the the ranges shown in the weapon grouping to deliver full damage, but further away after that the damage delivered decreases to 2x range, exception LRM/SRM/NARCS range shown is max.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 October 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#6 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

As was said before:

Try XL 300 or even 325. The Griffin has very good shield arms but an XL engine is still not worth the risk if you dont get speed out of it. If you run a 275 engine then it should be a STD.

Artemis only works if you see your target. It is not a very strong upgrade at the moment and pretty much a complete waste on anything below an LRM 15. Also I do not really get the idea of the 'scare' effect of incoming missiles. The current meta is about peeking and playing careful and trying to use cover anyway. So it will not have a great impact and after the first salvo your enemies actually know that its only a small LRM.

So I'd stick an SRM in there or even a dual S-SRM if you want. Or - with the higher engine - maybe an additional heat sink.

My general Griffin advice would be this: Put a lot of lasers on one version (like the one you have now), lots of SRM on the second and then if you want put LRMs and maybe your XL 275 (LRM mechs dont need that much mobility) on the last version just in order to have something different. The Griffin with large lasers can even be used in CW kindof like a poor version of the Wolverine (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7a354bee8c01d03 dont ever lose this much leg armor for public games though).

Edited by Nerdboard, 06 October 2015 - 09:45 AM.

#7 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

I've sworn by this loadout since the GRF became available in MWO. It's intended to be complex to use, ubiquitous across various scenarios, and dependent upon jet agility. But it excels at the role the GRF has always been capable of (and fully realized in the 3050 era) since the earliest days of tabletop Battletech. If you learn it well, damage will never be more than moderate, but effectiveness is many situations is high:

GRF-1N
XL255
1 additional DHS
7 JJ
Endo
AMS (3000)
BAP
ERPPC
LRM-10 (360)
2x MLAS
2x SSRM-2 (100)

1 user(s) are reading this topic