120 replies to this topic

#1 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

So, if anyone's watched the scale video, the crab is absolutely TINY for a 50 ton mech. Its shorter and slightly wider than a cicada. The top of it is at arm height of a trebuchet, basically this thing is going to be a really heavy light mech in size. I can see these becoming a real pain due to size and how many energy weapons you can drop on them. Top speed with tweak is going to be 115,

Using the TBT-5J as a holder, you could do something like this: Crab. Going to be fun!

#2 PlasmonDawn

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

Yea, I don't know who's idea it was to scale it so small... But I'm delighted! Can't wait to rampage in the new ultra heavy light mech

#3 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

Ya gotta zombie!

I'm feeling the CT and Head locations with ML and MPL's in the arms. A CT LL might not be so bad.

If the side torso hit boxes are large and you can select the bulky armor claws, they might pair well with 3 zombie lasers and a std engine.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 05 October 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#4 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

Going to be incredible, but you'll need to pilot it like a Stalker: always point your nose at the enemy. It's much SHORTER than any other 50-tonner, but volume-wise, it's like you took the other mechs and tipped them on their back: from the side, the thing's a microblimp.

#5 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

The crab, sry but I can't do anything with that piece of strange designed metal.

#6 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:39 PM

For some reason, I really want to run this CRB-27:

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3d0bf47f214a800[/smurfy]

#7 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hmm, five medium lasers, two ams is good, but I usually take at most 2.5 tons of AMS ammo, and a standard 300. Its somewhat fast, but the firepower is just really low for a 50t. I'd have to scale the engine back to a 275 and dump in two LLas and remove 2t of AMS ammo. Otherwise it looks good.

#8 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:08 PM

Zoom Zoom Wubs.

Zombie Wubs.
Somebody order Moar Wubs?

Jumping Wubs.
... MAXIMUM WUB ACHIEVED!

#9 Norgenheimer

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

I am currently loving this build right now. It's like a FS9-S only beefier!
Flying Crab Punch

Norge

#10 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:09 PM

This is my favorite build.
http://Crab Wub

Can Alpha 3 times safely before needing to run and cool off.

After my first match, well, this describes my reaction pretty well.
Posted Image

And I am not even done with basics

Edited by Coralld, 06 October 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#11 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

height is nice, nice low slung mech, XL engines tho, is imho a bad idea, a single Gauss volley from your typical gauss meta build can go thru a ST and kill you being only a 50 tonner,

as a laser vomit mech, it is completely outclasses by some of its IS counterparts , most HBK would rofl its low hardpoints and would thrash it. Without competitive quirks the clan laser vomit meta mechs cook this alive as you have 1 single short range high weapon mount, in comparison for example the Storm crow can mount a Clan ER LL to your MPL or ML

all in all chassis is another nice looking collectable mech but really not competitive , tier 3 at best

Edited by Bloody, 06 October 2015 - 10:17 PM.

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

... is potentially OP...

Spoiler

...and looks cool as hell. I love, love, LOVE that "pieced together and patched over centuries" look of the R variant. It looks (and plays) like a sturdy old warhorse!

Spoiler

View Poststealthraccoon, on 06 October 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

For some reason, I really want to run this CRB-27:
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3d0bf47f214a800[/smurfy]

I'm also running dual-AMS with mine. That's a lot of ammo you have -- maybe drop 1 ton for an additional DHS, as you have the space? Optionally ½ ton more to up-armour the legs (I'm not sure yet how badly the Crabs accumulate damage in those huge legs).

#13 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:18 PM

First game with it. I wasn't even hit on the CT. Doesn't look XL Friendly at all, who knew.
Gosh this is one battlemech I'm going to enjoy masterise!

#14 Lone Phantom

Rookie

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:25 AM

Its sounding like a resounding no to XL engines for the Crab.... is that fair to assume?
Figured its speed might help it but if its sides are being hit pretty easily anyway then it could be worth going for a smaller standard engine and shoot at range?

#15 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:57 AM

View PostLone Phantom, on 07 October 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

Its sounding like a resounding no to XL engines for the Crab.... is that fair to assume?
Figured its speed might help it but if its sides are being hit pretty easily anyway then it could be worth going for a smaller standard engine and shoot at range?

I have played two of the variants so far. They seem decently XL friendly to me. I am running the 27SL with and XL300 and have only died once in around 8 matches. It was a center torso death. This build really performed well for me.

I am also running the 27B right now but put a STD 275 in that one. This build has also really performed well. I have died twice in this one in around 7 matches. That said I have lost my side torso twice and lived. The two deaths were also center torso in this one.

I guess the question is do you want more speed and heat sinks or do you want to be able to loose a side torso and live.

#16 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

View PostCoralld, on 06 October 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

This is my favorite build.
http://Crab Wub

Can Alpha 3 times safely before needing to run and cool off.

After my first match, well, this describes my reaction pretty well.
Posted Image

And I am not even done with basics

This has been my first basiced crab!

#17 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:19 AM

I call this...the HOT CRAB:

CRB-27B

#18 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:30 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 07 October 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

I call this...the HOT CRAB:

CRB-27B

Hot!
The Crabstar!
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...41f55f58a3e9ef6

#19 Norgenheimer

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:15 AM

After about a dozen or so games last night I didn't really run into a lot of problems due to running an XL engine. I died a couple of times but that was mostly because I was on teams that were getting rolled. Even then I think I was one of the last mechs alive. The speed an maneuverability with a large XL engine and jump jets on the CRB-27SL make it very survivable. It still feels like a tanky mech. The side torsos didn't seem to be taking excessive damage compared to the center torso.

Edited by Norgenhiemer, 07 October 2015 - 07:17 AM.

#20 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:39 AM

Bit of a mixed bag. With this things beak you have lots of control over which side torso gets shot at but the sides are going to almost exclusively get hit on the side profile. It can get pretty tanky in a STD, and it helps that you can be a stick and still have 3 working hardpoints. For sure though if you're going to run XL make sure you get a big one instead of just making room for more weaponry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users