Warhawk B Issues

20 replies to this topic

#1 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

Hello all

I have a few issues when running my WHK B and I am looking for a bit of advice.

I have it loaded out with 4 Mpls and 3xStreak6 and 1xStreak4, TC1 and a CAP. The problem is Im not very successful in it. I try to follow the basic rules for Assaults but still end up with a low score. I think I read somewhere that the B makes a great Lurm boat, but Im not really into Lurming

What I think my problems are:
1. Target lock is too slow
2. Multiple over lapping targets makes it hard to select the desired target
3. Reload time is really long

I was thinking about swapping the Streaks for plain SRMs - this sorts out points 1 & 2
Im not really sure how to improve point 3. Should I just suck it up and accept the reload times? Should I always chainfire when over a certain distance?

Am I missing some glaringly obvious points/issues that I havent thought of?

If anyone has any advice they can offer it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

#2 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 605 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:08 PM

I figure with something that slow you would want to be loading a weapon with a bit more oomph and range.

Streaks are nice but they work better with a faster mech that is able to move and hide to reload instead of being a slower sitting duck. If Anything they should be a backup weapon at best. Add on the fact your turn rate isn't fast enough to keep up with some faster mechs and you'll lose locks that way as well.

If you switch to regular CSRM6s you'll save weight from the weapon change plus the extra weight from not really needing a CAP or TC1. You can throw that extra weight into heavier lasers (CLPLs) or maybe add on a ballistics weapon (AC10/20 or Gauss).

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

Are you using the "R" key?

#4 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:57 PM

I enjoy running my Masakari with an LBX-20 and two large pulse lasers. It has some good long range power with the lasers and some up close power with the autocannon. Good luck out there.

#5 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

Ok, maybe you dont want to go all the lurming way but how about a WHK B laser build with lrm support? I run this build and i LOVE it:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e34bf6fdc780d8

You mainly want to use your lasers, you LRMs are just there to support or engage on long distances. Or when you are cored, you can fall back and lurming until you are dead. I highly recommend at leas testing this build!

Edited by BeaverOnFire, 05 October 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#6 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:07 AM

Maybe try using standard srms with Artemis. You don't need a lock. Also try the cool down modules, they'll make stuff reload faster.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 04 October 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

1) Add "CAP" (Clan Active Probe) to enhance lock-on speed. Equipping a TAG will also stack in enhancing lock on speed when 'fired' while trying to get a lock on (only works with direct line of sight, no behind cover nonsense).

This is "nonsense" in Battletech, but in MWO due to laziness in programming, Artemis enhances streak lock on speed without weight costs. Equip Artemis. If not mistaken or changed, it adds 25% faster lock ons and 75% more accurate missiles (as if 100% accurate missiles isn't enough; try 175%!!!)

2) This is an issue with your selection of targets. Use R to swap and remember it goes for "Under your crosshair" as the first priority! Point, hit R, rock and road!

>.>
<.< Liao pun.

3) This is something you may not be able to help. That said, pay attention to quirks. If you pack on too many missile hardpoints you're bound to get "missile cooldown +10%" or somesuch. That is BAD. It adds 10% to all reload times. This said, try "Stream firing" or chain firing the missiles in a relentless chain. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh. Alternatively, try all Streak 4's as their reload times will be quicker.

Good luck.

Edited by Koniving, 05 October 2015 - 08:09 AM.

#8 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

Anytime you want to "alpha" that much damage, the cooldown is going to be high (cmon 22 SSRMs! with 4MPLs). You either accept it, or reduce the alpha for quicker reloads (via SSRM/SRM4s or 2s). I personally like SRM4's: will drop your cooldown in half (6 sec to 3 sec), still does 32 damage (4x8) - the downside is you have to aim.

Recommend using the testing grounds until you find the timing that feels right to you.

See you on the battlefield

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostKoniving, on 05 October 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

1) Add "CAP" (Clan Active Probe) to enhance lock-on speed.

BAP/CAP doesn't increase missile lock on speeds, just information gathering (paperdoll).

It seems to be a common misconception, just like how the Command Console also doesn't do anything for missile lock on speeds.

However, CAP/BAP also is still useful for disabling ECM, making it a desired equipment for SSRMs and LRMs.

(If BAP/CAP and CC do increase missile lock on speeds, I've never noticed it to do so. Artemis though does, as well as TAG and NARC, without going into specifics.)

#10 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:11 PM

I leveled my B chassis with WHK-B 4x M Pulse, 3x LRM 15 + Tag and WHK-B 3x M Pulse, 3x SRM6, Gauss + ERLL

Ignore armor distribution. I generally run 10 or less in the rear.

With the second build, use the gauss and ERLL for long range, once targets get closer use the gauss and M pulse. SRM when applicable.

You can also run 2 M pulse, tag, 2 LRM 15 and Gauss with plenty of ammo for both. Make sure to take the lower arm actuators in the right B arm.

If you don't like gauss you can use the ballistic of your choosing, or take energy weps. I really like the gauss, once you get the timing of shots down its an excellent high damage, long range and low (no) heat weapon.

I really enjoy my warhawk, and even do quite well with 2 UAC 20's. The thing to remember is it's a really fat heavy. It is big, but goes 71kph (speed tweak) and has great agility especially with the lower arm actuators in the B arm.

Edited for grammar and added lower arm actuators.

Edited by DemonicDonut, 05 October 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#11 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostSoultraxx, on 04 October 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

Artemis speeds up locks. CAP cuts through enemy ECM. TC1 speeds locks a little.

Clan Streaks have a long cooldown and to max them you really want to hunt lights in a SCRO.

IF, and this is a big if, you want to brawl in a Warhawk, use regular SRM.
2LPL, 2-4ERML, 3-4SRM4/6....good to go, watch that heat. Dont face hug, use cover.

You can also 2LPL, 3-4ERML, LRM30-40 and use the LRMs as backup or parting shots.

#12 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:45 PM

WHK-B

It's more effective once mastered/speed tweaked.

#13 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:50 AM

i think OP is missing two key elements in his use of the mechlab,
  • omni pods, sound like they have not been diversified.
  • large size weapons have longer cooldowns (re-fire) and OP desires smaller class for shorter cooldowns
you can run more energy hardpoints with different omni pods, this can and will gain your warhawk additional firepower.

smaller missiles "reload" faster, as suggested, Ssrm4's fire quite a bit faster, but also are somewhat cooler, which is good since you could have extra tonnage for something like a large+small energy group.

remember not to build too hot, but if your not spending your heat, you are doing it wrong.

#14 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:34 AM

I got to the same point, with the WHK-B. I eventually added a Targeting Comp IV and the capture accelerator module (BAP for sure, modules too), just to see if I can get the lock fast enough for proper brawling. You'll end up beeing a light mechs nightmare, but no match for, let's say, a WHK-C ;)

#15 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:37 AM

View PostBeaverOnFire, on 05 October 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Ok, maybe you dont want to go all the lurming way but how about a WHK B laser build with lrm support? I run this build and i LOVE it:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e34bf6fdc780d8

You mainly want to use your lasers, you LRMs are just there to support or engage on long distances. Or when you are cored, you can fall back and lurming until you are dead. I highly recommend at leas testing this build!

View PostDemonicDonut, on 05 October 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

I leveled my B chassis with WHK-B 4x M Pulse, 3x LRM 15 + Tag and WHK-B 3x M Pulse, 3x SRM6, Gauss + ERLL

Ignore armor distribution. I generally run 10 or less in the rear.

With the second build, use the gauss and ERLL for long range, once targets get closer use the gauss and M pulse. SRM when applicable.

You can also run 2 M pulse, tag, 2 LRM 15 and Gauss with plenty of ammo for both. Make sure to take the lower arm actuators in the right B arm.

If you don't like gauss you can use the ballistic of your choosing, or take energy weps. I really like the gauss, once you get the timing of shots down its an excellent high damage, long range and low (no) heat weapon.

I really enjoy my warhawk, and even do quite well with 2 UAC 20's. The thing to remember is it's a really fat heavy. It is big, but goes 71kph (speed tweak) and has great agility especially with the lower arm actuators in the B arm.

Edited for grammar and added lower arm actuators.

To the OP, try Beaver's or Demonics builds. Gauss,ER PPC and LRMs are your friends. Good luck GL and Happy Hunting HH.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:53 AM

View PostTesunie, on 05 October 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

BAP/CAP doesn't increase missile lock on speeds, just information gathering (paperdoll).
However, CAP/BAP also is still useful for disabling ECM, making it a desired equipment for SSRMs and LRMs.

We're talking about streaks, and missiles against potentially ECM-covered targets.

See case in point:Attempting to streak an ECM enemy countered by an Ally. Missile lock times on a fast COUNTERED ECM target could take up to over 1 minute of constant chase to get a lock! That is streaks without your own BAP and milking off of an ally's BAP.

Now same video, but rewind to 4 minutes (Streaks + BAP), notice absolutely no issues with locking on to enemy targets including ECM-wielding targets.

The Use of BAP/CAP disables the "Countered ECM JAM" rate to lock on times. The largest bane of B.S. ECM has ever had in MWO. Attacking a BAP/CAP countered enemy when you are not in possession of it causes incredibly long lock on times. (Before TAG's accelerated lock on bonuses, milking off of another person's tag also had this same issue!)

It is because BAP/CAP doesn't have accelerated lock on abilities that milking off of someone else's counter of an enemy ECM will cause these problems. If you bring streaks, you almost literally need your own BAP/CAP. Again, BAP/CAP disables the "countered ECM's jamming delay" of missile locks. It isn't accelerating your lock, it removes the delay or the "stall" caused by attempting to lock onto an active enemy ECM that has been countered.

Edited by Koniving, 06 October 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#17 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:29 AM

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions - much appreciated.

Im in the process of trying out a few different builds to see what "feels" right for me.

#18 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostKoniving, on 06 October 2015 - 03:53 AM, said:

We're talking about streaks, and missiles against potentially ECM-covered targets.

It sounds like we are saying the same thing? BAP is good for disabling ECM, which makes it so your locks are not hindered. Not an actual flat out faster missile lock on speed. Right?

I would also have to ask, when was that video recorded? It looks like it was done in the patch where missile locks needed the reticle (I can't seem to spell this word anymore...) to actually be over the target mech to get a lock, and locks were dropped almost instantly. Besides that (which have been fixed) I didn't see what you were talking about within that video. (Or... maybe I'm blind?)

Basically, take BAP to disable nearby ECM so you can get locks with your SSRMs (or continued locks with your LRMs, depending).

#19 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostiLLcapitan, on 06 October 2015 - 03:34 AM, said:

I got to the same point, with the WHK-B. I eventually added a Targeting Comp IV and the capture accelerator module (BAP for sure, modules too), just to see if I can get the lock fast enough for proper brawling. You'll end up beeing a light mechs nightmare, but no match for, let's say, a WHK-C ;)

Neither targeting computers (benefit energy and ballistics mainly), nor Cap accelerators (for capturing bases), affect your lock on speed. Only TAG, and Artemis affect lock on speed (I think NARC too, maybe?)

Edited by IraqiWalker, 06 October 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#20 Zionkan

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:45 AM

If u want to brawl with an WHC (omg its a walking torso ;) ) i would use something like this WHK-B , good punch and similar cooldowns

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users