Just Fix It, Please.

10 replies to this topic

#1 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:31 AM

Your system of determining tier progression is flawed. Please fix it.

Edited by Lemming of the BDA, 05 October 2015 - 01:38 AM.

#2 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:36 AM

View PostLemming of the BDA, on 05 October 2015 - 01:31 AM, said:

Your system of determining tier progression is flawed. Please fix it.

-Make PSR independant of win/loss.
Getting dumped with the shortbus-brigade and losing is not reflective of your skill. Winning because you're being carried like a baby in a carry bag is not reflective of your skill, either.

-Take down how much damage contributes to matchscore by about 10 notches.
Spraying LBXs and LRMs around is not very skillful. Hey look, people do teamplay-like stuff now to get more points!

-Make the matchscores needed for raising/lowering PSR relative to the team's average.
Absolute values for this are just plain stupid/lazy but if PSR were not dependant on win/loss anymore this would actually be minor point.

There, fixed.

Edited by Ironwithin, 05 October 2015 - 02:39 AM.

#3 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:48 AM

View PostIronwithin, on 05 October 2015 - 02:36 AM, said:

Spraying LBXs and LRMs around is not very skillful. Hey look, people do teamplay-like stuff now to get more points!

I wonder if it would be possible to separate armor damage from internal damage when calculating match scores. Cut the points for damaging armor in half (or more) and keep the points for internal damage the same. It's not perfect, but at least it encourages people to shoot at already damaged components.

#4 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:31 AM

Getting dumped with the shortbus-brigade and losing is not reflective of your skill. Winning because you're being carried like a baby in a carry bag is not reflective of your skill, either.

-Make the matchscores needed for raising/lowering PSR relative to the team's average.
Absolute values for this are just plain stupid/lazy but if PSR were not dependant on win/loss anymore this would actually be minor point.

There, fixed.

YES, by all means, de-value damage for match score. And in the same time introduce a threshold for damage done towards counting as an assist. Maybe by only counting damage done toward the part of the mech which is actually responsible for the kill - i.e. only damage to the legs, if the mech is killed by shooting of both legs. Or the CT. Or the ST. Or the head. Or only counting damage above a certain amount, so no spraying ERLL senselessly through the whole enemy team.

But keep PSR gains/reductions tied to win/loss - at least loosely - but do consider team's performance as well. For example the Assault leading the push that successfully breaks the enemy team might get focused down pretty quickly, but for tanking damage does it's part toward the team's victory. Maybe even factor in the amount of damage taken relative to armor value (!) for match score.

#5 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:39 AM

There, fixed.

In all fairness, winning adds a bonus, you can win, and still drop in PSR rating.

#6 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 05 October 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

In all fairness, winning adds a bonus, you can win, and still drop in PSR rating.

No, it won't.
Your team wins ? At WORST your PSR stays the same, even with a 0-points matchscore.

http://mwomercs.com/...-tiers-and-psr/

Edited by Ironwithin, 05 October 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#7 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

While they are at it...

Multiply the PSR points for :

Flanking: 5 points per engagement
Scouting: +25 points per successful scouting and targeting by friendly units
In formation: +25 points
TAG/NARC: Increase to 25 points per successful paint/lock/hit by friendly mechs
Seismic: +25 points for successful use
UAV: +10 points for every unit revealed

ADD:
Intercepting LRM's that target a friendly mech with your AMS: 50 points
Covering 3 or more friendly mechs with ECM for more than 2 minutes IN combat: 50 points

Modifiers:
Lights get x2 to scout/recon actions
Mediums get x2 bonus to flanking

Really getting 1 point for these is ridiculous if the bulk of score is based solely on damage. The rest is just fluff points and should be weighted more against damage. Even go so far as to divide total damage by half before adding the above. If they really want to push info warfare you add the modifiers so that light mechs that play the role of scout get a natural bonus. Same with medium mechs flanking the enemy.

#8 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

I actually kind of like the Tier system, but...yeah, I can have 5 kills, 800 damage in a losing effort on a team where no one else has a kill or breaks 120 damage and watch my Tier go down (or up..."worse:" it gets worse). Then I can do 84 points, get one-shotted by a whale in the first ten seconds of battle, and have my Tier get better.

It seems like the only critical factor is winning or losing.

#9 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

Yes to all this! I dont mind Tiers, just have it make sense.

#10 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostIronwithin, on 05 October 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

No, it won't.
Your team wins ? At WORST your PSR stays the same, even with a 0-points matchscore.

http://mwomercs.com/...-tiers-and-psr/

I stand corrected.

#11 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 05 October 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

Maybe by only counting damage done toward the part of the mech which is actually responsible for the kill - i.e. only damage to the legs, if the mech is killed by shooting of both legs. Or the CT. Or the ST. Or the head. Or only counting damage above a certain amount, so no spraying ERLL senselessly through the whole enemy team.

How about no?
If I leg a light mech, and someone shoots out it's CT afterwards that should count as an assist.
If I core out a mech to cherry red, and then the other person legs it instead - why shouldn't that count as an assist?
If I disarm a stalker and leave it be while I focus on real threats, why shouldn't that count as an assist?

The point is mute anyway, because lasers splash damage across every component on a mech so even under such a system everything will still count as an assist.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 05 October 2015 - 04:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users