New Weapon: The Light Gauss.

9 replies to this topic

#1 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:27 AM

its time for some new weapons! faster flight speed, shorter charge time, less damage, longer range!

i am liking this already!

#2 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:19 AM

Sounds good.

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

View Postcheapcamper, on 05 October 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

its time for some new weapons! faster flight speed, shorter charge time, less damage, longer range!

i am liking this already!

Someone's hyped up

Spoiler

Edited by IraqiWalker, 05 October 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#4 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

I most certainly wouldn't mind. I'd love to try one of those on my Vindicator 1X.

Just wish Paul actually bothered to read the PM i sent him regarding that thread i made about Rifles.
I actually made them usefull without removing that penalty against armor and stayed true to all it's other bad qualities.
Didn't change damage, tonnage, crit slots, heat, range....even firerate/shell velocity is lower than AC's just like the lore.

The thing i did was reduce the damage penalty against armor to -2.5 damage....just 0.5 damage difference but the base damage stays the same.
Ammunition was doubled just like the AC10 got....not unreasonable that.

The thing that makes my version of the rifles usefull is a higher crit chance just like the MG's.
It's a crit seeker weapon so all they need to adjust is how much damage it does when it crits and unarmored part of the target.
That crit damage adjustment can be adjusted as PGI wants to find balance.
If crit chance isn't any good they can go with bonus structural damage or maybe a mix between the two.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:16 AM

light gauss isnt available in the current timeline. its not available until 3056.

although we should have silver bullet gauss, LFEs, and ATMs by now... theyre close enough to the current timeline that theyd at least be in the field testing stages by now.

Edited by Khobai, 05 October 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#6 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostKhobai, on 05 October 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

light gauss isnt available in the current timeline. its not available until 3056.

although we should have silver bullet gauss, LFEs, and ATMs by now... theyre close enough to the current timeline that theyd at least be in the field testing stages by now.

LFEs are early-3060s technology, and are nowhere close to "field testing stages" in the early 3050s.

Light engines were originally the brainchild of the Wolf’s Dragoons mercenary command, as an effort to mimic the compact but lighter-weight Clan XL. This engine, which balances the XL’s bulk and weight savings, tends to weigh 25 percent less than an identically-rated military-standard fusion engine, for the same volume as a comparable Clan-made reactor. Spies from the Lyran Alliance reportedly stole this technology in the early 3060s, and - despite the threat of the Dragoons’ ire - the armies loyal to then-Archon Katherine Steiner-Davion began to field light engines in 3062.

- TechManual, pg. 214

In 3058, after the formation of the Lyran Alliance, the Lyran Intelligence Corps finally uncovered irrefutable evidence that a prototype engine shielding system had indeed been developed by Blackwell. However, they lacked the resources and funding needed to develop it further into a system capable of being mass produced for military application. With the assumption that Blackwell would again be unwilling to negotiate the sale of the prototype system, Archon Katherine Steiner-Davion authorized the use of select Loki agents in a commando raid that netted them the prototype. Though she fully realized that if the system were ever mass produced she would alienate Blackwell Corporation as well as the Wolf's Dragoons, pushing them firmly into her brother's camp, she accepted this as a fair bargain if the technology fulfilled its potential.
After four years of almost unlimited resources and an imperative from the Quartermaster Corps countersigned by the Archon herself demanding success, Defiance Industries delivered the first production "light engine".

- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, pgs. 147-148

#7 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

Light gauss rifles dont exist until 3056. It's currently 3052. Nope.

http://www.sarna.net...ght_Gauss_Rifle

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

LFEs are early-3060s technology, and are nowhere close to "field testing stages" in the early 3050s.

It says right on sarna that LFEs existed in 3053. They didnt enter mass production until the 3060s. But the technology was being field tested by wolf's dragoons in 3053.

Thats good enough for me to justify their existence in the game right now.

As rumors of this technology began to leak out in 3053, Archon-Prince Victor Steiner-Davion of the Federated Commonwealth entered into protracted and ultimately fruitless negotiations with Blackwell, becoming apparent either the rumors were false or Blackwell would not sell the technology to anybody outside of the Dragoons.

Given wolf's dragoons access to super advanced clan tech, I find it hard to believe that they didnt have a working LFE in 3053. Because it would be like designing an inferior version of a CXL, technology they already have. That would be easy for Wolf Dragoons to do. All they had to do was make Blackwell think they invented it to throw suspicion off of them.

Itd be like if kim jong un time traveled back in time with knowledge of how to build a jet turbine, showed the Germans how to make a less advanced primitive jet turbine for the me-262, and the rest of the world now thinks the Germans came up with the idea in the first place... but it was really time traveling kim jong un all along. because kim jong un is an evil jet turbine powered robot that had to travel back in time to proliferate technology which insured his own creation in the future. wolfs dragoons basically did the same thing, except instead of time travel it was a technology gap, and instead of germans it was blackwell, and instead of a creation paradox it was part of a plan to rapidly advance IS technology to prepare them against the renewed clan invasion.

So yeah thats why we should have LFEs.

Edited by Khobai, 05 October 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#9 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:19 PM

View PostKhobai, on 05 October 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

It says right on sarna that LFEs existed in 3053. They didnt enter mass production until the 3060s. But the technology was being field tested by wolf's dragoons in 3053.

It says nothing of the sort; what is says is that there were rumors of Blackwell working on such a project circulating in 3053, but by 3058 they (Blackwell) had produced only a single prototype that was unfit for production, which was at that point stolen by the Lyrans and refined - over a period of four years, including the efforts of (presumably) the best engineers the Lyrans could bring to bear & at financial expense well beyond what Blackwell could ever have hoped to be able to call upon - into a workable example.

The actual sources point toward a scenario whereby it could be expected that if the Lyrans hadn't stolen Blackwell's prototype, LFEs might not have been developed until decades later (e.g. during or after the Jihad), if ever (as Blackwell simply did not have the resources to pour into the project, as the Lyrans did).

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 05 October 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

I most certainly wouldn't mind. I'd love to try one of those on my Vindicator 1X.

Just wish Paul actually bothered to read the PM i sent him regarding that thread i made about Rifles.
I actually made them usefull without removing that penalty against armor and stayed true to all it's other bad qualities.
Didn't change damage, tonnage, crit slots, heat, range....even firerate/shell velocity is lower than AC's just like the lore.

The thing i did was reduce the damage penalty against armor to -2.5 damage....just 0.5 damage difference but the base damage stays the same.
Ammunition was doubled just like the AC10 got....not unreasonable that.

The thing that makes my version of the rifles usefull is a higher crit chance just like the MG's.
It's a crit seeker weapon so all they need to adjust is how much damage it does when it crits and unarmored part of the target.
That crit damage adjustment can be adjusted as PGI wants to find balance.
If crit chance isn't any good they can go with bonus structural damage or maybe a mix between the two.

Slight point of clarification: Ammo for the ACs wasn't doubled. They just added half as much. Basically changing damage per ton to 150 from 100 (AC 2 has 75 rounds instead of 45, ac 5 has 30 instead of 20 ... etc.).

Edited by IraqiWalker, 05 October 2015 - 03:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users