Ecm Balance Idea

6 replies to this topic

Poll: ECM Balance Idea (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Should too much ECM have drawbacks?

1. Yes, makes sense to me (5 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, Jesus had 12 disciples, so we should have 12 ECM. (5 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:58 AM

Just an idea, but if ECM jams electronic communications, couldn't there be "too much of a good thing"?

What if more than 2 "friendly" ECM suites in close proximity affected each other negatively. The number of ECM suites and the distance could be tweaked, but the main idea being that at some saturation point, the different ECM suites cancelled themselves out, erasing their benefit.

This could work regardless of other fixes done to ECM. Unfortunately it is hard to balance a system to be useful by itself without being overpowered in groups. This would take away the advantage of massed ECM, while still making it useful as a dedicated tool. It could force the blob to spread out a bit, and encourage lance-sized groups to move together, and still be useful for scouts.

Any additional thoughts are welcomed.

#2 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:12 AM

Really, how ECM should work is very well described in Total Warfare (page 134) and Tactical Operations (page 100).

#3 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:35 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 08 October 2015 - 03:12 AM, said:

Really, how ECM should work is very well described in Total Warfare (page 134) and Tactical Operations (page 100).

Agreed.

Unfortunately I believe that ship has sailed a long time ago for PGI. From what I can gather, "fixing" ECM will primarily consist of tweaking the range of ECM and/or its countermeasures. If we can assume that MW:O's ECM will always be some sort of Angel ECM/Stealth armor mash-up instead of GECM, and we can also assume that PGI will never get rid of lock-on indirect weapons fire, then I was throwing out a simple idea to give a potential downside to the inevitable team boating of ECM.

In short, since ECM is borked, and PGI cannot balance equipment on both the micro and macro level, I threw this idea out there.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:39 AM

While i would like the system - anything that get rid of the ECM is a good idea. I see the problem that people will equip ECM because of themselfes - so suddenly you have 12 guys all of them with ECM complaining about the other 11 guys that they brought ECM and are canceling his ECM.
On the other hand a 180m distance between each Mech will have some interesting side effects

#5 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 08 October 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

While i would like the system - anything that get rid of the ECM is a good idea. I see the problem that people will equip ECM because of themselfes - so suddenly you have 12 guys all of them with ECM complaining about the other 11 guys that they brought ECM and are canceling his ECM.
On the other hand a 180m distance between each Mech will have some interesting side effects

Right. And the cancellation range could obviously be tweaked. So an ECM death blob could still happen, but it would take coordinated positioning to pull it off.

#6 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:13 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 08 October 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

Agreed.

Unfortunately I believe that ship has sailed a long time ago for PGI. From what I can gather, "fixing" ECM will primarily consist of tweaking the range of ECM and/or its countermeasures.

Those noobs from PGI seams to not realize that range nerf is in fact a buff to ECM instead.

Paul last explanations about ECM sound just so reta/rded. Its like they have some sort of schizofremia fixation.

Edited by Jaeger Gonzo, 08 October 2015 - 05:17 AM.

#7 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 08 October 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

Those noobs from PGI seams to not realize that range nerf is in fact a buff to ECM instead.

I think they realized it after some of the players explained that without the interference signal, ECM light backstabbing would get deadlier than it already is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users