Unit Concept - Looking For Feedback

11 replies to this topic

#1 Kainen253

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:01 AM

I want to create my own clan. The premise is that this clan is formed from various other portions of other clans, mostly from the home worlds due to various circumstances leading up to the formation of this clan shortly after Tukayyid. The central point of this new clan is that during Revival a galaxy sized formation comprised of warriors from across the clans who did not participate in Revival, is sent into the Inner Sphere to observe the trials going on and Inner Sphere tactics. However, after the defeats suffered first at Luthien and then Tukayyid, an angry and disgruntled galaxy commander and the handful of survivors strike off to form their own clan.

How far outside the realm of possibility is this? Obviously this a major break from canon, but from a reality standpoint - I.e., from the perspective of those that had been there and done these things - I think this isn't that unlikely or impossible. I have a good bit of the clans early history (by early history I mean some of what this galaxy went thru between the opening of wave 3 and the defeat at Tukayyid) already mostly fleshed out and tho what remains of this galaxy is pretty small this wouldn't be a terribly bad time for a small clan to appear, most likely on the very fringes of clan-held space.

Your thoughts? Serious replies only, pls. This is something I would really like to do within the framework of MWO.

#2 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:45 AM

Form their own clan? a new clan? nah..
..form a merc unit however, that's rather likely.
It's not like you can't have clan traditions or structures in a unit.

#3 Kainen253

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostLOADED, on 09 October 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

Form their own clan? a new clan? nah..
..form a merc unit however, that's rather likely.
It's not like you can't have clan traditions or structures in a unit.

Part of the concept when I first started giving this some serious thought last week was that in forming this clan, aforementioned galaxy commander knew from the start "his" clan would be Abjured at a minimum if not outright targeted for Annihilation. From a role play perspective this would set up some interesting story lines. Of course being grimly realistic unless this clan got support from another faction (maybe something similar to wolf in exile) they probably wouldn't last very long. And probably wouldn't dwell very long in clan space...

Edited by Kainen253, 09 October 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#4 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

I applaud your creativity.

Though as I recall some other MWO player tried this once before CW came out and was trying to address the other organized Clans as Khan of some made up clan he thought up. It went quite badly and the reception was quite hostile.

You're more than welcome to do so in the comfort of your own gaming group, clan or what have you. Judging on how poisonous this forum can be and how stodgy we die-hard canon Battletech fans are, sorry you're not likely to get a warm reception as this other player did.

Kudos for it though. As the other poster said, you're be most receptive as a Bandit Caste, Mercenary Group or Pirate band than an organized and recognized Named Clan.

Edited by rolly, 09 October 2015 - 10:17 AM.

#5 Kainen253

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

I wouldn't even try to claim a Khanship unless I had the players to back me. My plan is, using the clan rank system internally, to currently hold star commander for myself until we have sufficient numbers to warrant holding trials for star captain. Somewhere in there would have to be at least a trial of some sort to legitimize my being a star commander as well.

So, in essence a clan type organization with clan traditions and ideology but knowing the nature of the community, and the built in role play backstory, this clan is off to a rocky start immediately. Which actually kind of works in my favor, because using that premise, this clan can function similarly to a merc unit by supporting, through CW, whichever clan is more supportive (or least hostile, perhaps) to my own clan.

Or in short - we act as a clan but are generally treated as a bandit caste/pirate band. Which wouldn't be all that bad for the possible story lines and other imminent interactions.

Edited by Kainen253, 09 October 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#6 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

Interesting. And of course anything is possible. In cannon you have many secret clan units that go off and do similar things (Wolf's Dragoons, Snord's Irregulars, etc) But they would not be Clan anymore. Your should not call them a Clan as they would fail in Kernesky's eyes. They would be Dezgra. They would be more akin to mercenaries, though they would loathed to be called that.

#7 Kainen253

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostAdamBaines, on 09 October 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

Interesting. And of course anything is possible. In cannon you have many secret clan units that go off and do similar things (Wolf's Dragoons, Snord's Irregulars, etc) But they would not be Clan anymore. Your should not call them a Clan as they would fail in Kernesky's eyes. They would be Dezgra. They would be more akin to mercenaries, though they would loathed to be called that.

So what you're saying would be instead of calling this Clan This Thing, they would be better of just being known as This Thing?

Yes my originality is that awesome lol

#8 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostKainen253, on 09 October 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

So what you're saying would be instead of calling this Clan This Thing, they would be better of just being known as This Thing?

Yes my originality is that awesome lol

Yes...This Thing....or in my case That Thing

#9 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:22 AM

Well.. Honestly, i suppose a greatly ambitious and charismatic leader at the level of Alexander & Nicholas Kerensky, Jaime Wolf, Ulric Kerensky, etc. might decide to try such a feat.

It would not be unreasonable that some warriors (probably Smoke Jaguars?) might wake up and realize they have underestimated the Spheroids and poor leadership has brought lot of shame on their Clan. But, as i said, only a very great leader could convince a big unit like a Galaxy (or even a Binary, for that matter) to renounce their allegiance and create their own new Clan, free of the shame of their old one. Loyalty to their Clan is one of the values taught in the sibkos; the thought that a Clansman would defect and reveal to the IS leaders the position of the Clan homeworlds was unthinkable.. Though it happened.

If you want to hear my suggestion, you should rather form a merc unit that, well, is not actually a mercenary unit in the traditional way; it should be a Clan unit in every way aside from the fact that to survive they need to either raid IS and other Clans' bases to get supplies and bondsmen or, in case of absolute necessary, ally with or sell their services to an IS faction, which is something most Clansmen would hate to do.

Of course you are right, a deserting unit would be declared Dezgra and hunted like bandits so you would not really have a place among most Clans (aside maybe Wolf-in-Exile and similar factions) nor the respect accorded to a Clan unit.

Have fun :D

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:32 AM

It's quite hard to implement some things into the Lore of Battletech. Especially (inter)clans, since they are very much with given rules. You would need quite some story to make that a believable story fitting into the BT lore.

You can however claim they call themselves a clan internally, while officially never using the "clan" tag in their name in interaction with other clanners. It really wonders me what the Lore would offer as a base to allow someone to set up a new clan. Do we have sources for this?

So you would need to have setup a similar story as the wolf's dragoons for your reason to exist. Somethign the other clans, or a few of them initially have signed to exist.

Edited by Lily from animove, 13 October 2015 - 04:34 AM.

#11 Diddi Doedel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:52 AM

Interesting concept.

Some weak points I would like to point out:

- No lower castes, Means, where are your technicians to repair your mechs, to form new sibkos from the genetic material the warriors of your new clan can provide, no merchants to trade with others to acquire the things you need to establish a base, repair facilities etc. ? Some of those could be gotten through means of raids. But due to your status not via trials of posession.

- You mention Wolves in Exile. They took along a majority of their lower castes as well as enough material to be self sufficient. It was a planned move. That is nothing you can gather from the resources and outfits a front-line unit is usually provided with,

- You did not elaborate on which goal would make a clan mechwarrior forsake any chance of a bloodname by joining your group. Leaving behind the clan he was born to, to join possibly with members of clans that have been mortal enemies with your home clan for centuries? What kind of goal could persude someone to such an extreme?

#12 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 13 October 2015 - 04:32 AM, said:

It's quite hard to implement some things into the Lore of Battletech. Especially (inter)clans, since they are very much with given rules. You would need quite some story to make that a believable story fitting into the BT lore.

You can however claim they call themselves a clan internally, while officially never using the "clan" tag in their name in interaction with other clanners. It really wonders me what the Lore would offer as a base to allow someone to set up a new clan. Do we have sources for this?

Wolf-in-Exile, the short-lived Jade Wolves too.

View PostDiddi Doedel, on 13 October 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:

Interesting concept.

Some weak points I would like to point out:

- No lower castes, Means, where are your technicians to repair your mechs, to form new sibkos from the genetic material the warriors of your new clan can provide, no merchants to trade with others to acquire the things you need to establish a base, repair facilities etc. ? Some of those could be gotten through means of raids. But due to your status not via trials of posession.

- You mention Wolves in Exile. They took along a majority of their lower castes as well as enough material to be self sufficient. It was a planned move. That is nothing you can gather from the resources and outfits a front-line unit is usually provided with,

- You did not elaborate on which goal would make a clan mechwarrior forsake any chance of a bloodname by joining your group. Leaving behind the clan he was born to, to join possibly with members of clans that have been mortal enemies with your home clan for centuries? What kind of goal could persude someone to such an extreme?

They would have to take resources and techs raiding. They may see such targets as not worthy of honor so not even a batchall. And do not dare call them pirates, or they will get mad :P

About Bloodnames, well, they can keep those they have earned and even host new Trials of Bloodright once they are strong enough; the Wolves-in-Exile kept theirs even if they had been abjured by the rest of the Clans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users