103 replies to this topic

#1 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

well, i dunno, if its one person with 10 multinicks, but seriuosly wtf is every 2nd thread in general about balance ?

ADMIN: pls, create specifc new section called - BALANCE and put there all theads from general.
It woould free 50-60% general threads, and i neednt to skip them every time.

Thx.

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

Balance is. Posted Image

Edited by Monkey Lover, 09 October 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#3 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

Honestly, there is so much garbage on this forum and opinions on balance by people who don't know what they are talking about and are not very good at the game. Might as well inject more different opinions so keep PGI from listening to the clueless crowds who have a significantly overinflated sense of understanding of the game and what would balance it.

#4 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

There was a thread a while ago where a guy basically said "this game is unbalanced, I think that's good, deal with it."

I stopped posting in that thread by the second or third page but I noticed it got rather long.

I think one troll successfully cause everyone to get butt hurt and post a load of threads about balance.

So yes, I think everyone is mad.

#5 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 October 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

Honestly, there is so much garbage on this forum and opinions on balance by people who don't know what they are talking about and are not very good at the game.

What? Paul hasn't posted on balance since the PTS debacle.

Oh, you mean players. Carry on.

;)

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

PGI actually did once have a section of the forum that was supposed to be for balance only...but then the players basically turned it into a poor man's General Discussion anyways.

Balance threads are probably OP and could stand to get nerfed a bit though.

#7 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

If one or two people post something regarding a topic then there 'May' be a problem, but when there is a vast selection on the same topic to choose from, you need to wonder if the topic caries weight.

Maybe the players feel that Balance is an issue currently?

#8 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

View PostRonyn, on 09 October 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

If one or two people post something regarding a topic then there 'May' be a problem, but when there is a vast selection on the same topic to choose from, you need to wonder if the topic caries weight.

Maybe the players feel that Balance is an issue currently?

Honestly, there is so much garbage on this forum and opinions on balance by people who don't know what they are talking about and are not very good at the game. Might as well inject more different opinions so keep PGI from listening to the clueless crowds who have a significantly overinflated sense of understanding of the game and what would balance it.

#9 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

I had to do a double take, come back here to check just to confirm... there is a post not two slots down from this one with the title, 'Gas Guzzler's Grand Theory of Balance Extraordinaire'. Ummm... lol

I read through it. Am I allowed to have an opinion on the content, given your post here, in this thread?

:P

#10 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:19 PM

That's a nice blanket statement. Do you wrap yourself in it to keep you warm at night? Dismissing concerns is easy...

Ahh who the hell am I kidding, internet, right........

The forum is full of dumba**'s and only the ones that think they are elite should be listened to.

Did I do it right?

#11 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

The problem with balancing this game are all the differing opinions of how this game should've been. There are so many different crowds and perspectives, you have:
-the TT guys who naively want a first person TT game, "let me just grab my HGN-732b with its AC2, AC10, large laser, medium laser, small laser, SRM6, and LRM10 to round it all out."
-the lore hounds, where balance comes from the books, "clams are supposed to be because some ****** fan-fiction quality book said so."
-the twitch crowd (self explanatory)
-the guys/gals that just want everything to be relevant, "I just want my Pretty Babby to not be a steamy pile of ****."

This community can't even agree on how mechs should look, much less balance.

#12 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 09 October 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

I had to do a double take, come back here to check just to confirm... there is a post not two slots down from this one with the title, 'Gas Guzzler's Grand Theory of Balance Extraordinaire'. Ummm... lol

I read through it. Am I allowed to have an opinion on the content, given your post here, in this thread?

:P

You can have an opinion, but I don't see how me expressing my own opinion invalidates what I said before. If posting my thread adds yet another mix to the opinions of the forums, then hopefully it will succeed in encouraging PGI to not listen to other ones. Its all about theatricality and deception really.

I didn't even say my opinion was right, I just said there is a lot of garbage on the forums. If you think my opinion is garbage, than that is your prerogative.

#13 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

You can throw your opinion right on that pile too pal. At least people are trying and with NOTHING from PGI, what do you expect. At least we care to give our ideas instead of leave.

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 09 October 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

The problem with balancing this game are all the differing opinions of how this game should've been. There are so many different crowds and perspectives, you have:
-the TT guys who naively want a first person TT game, "let me just grab my HGN-732b with its AC2, AC10, large laser, medium laser, small laser, SRM6, and LRM10 to round it all out."
-the lore hounds, where balance comes from the books, "clams are supposed to be because some ****** fan-fiction quality book said so."
-the guys/gals that just want everything to be relevant, "I just want my Pretty Babby to not be a steamy pile of ****."

I would also add the demographic of people who want the game to be hyper-realistic in every aspect at all costs.

I think your first two demographics can be rolled into one for many people...

#15 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

View PostTitannium, on 09 October 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

well, i dunno, if its one person with 10 multinicks, but seriuosly wtf is every 2nd thread in general about balance ?

Because, well, balance sucks?

Hmmmmmmmmmm... Could it be?

#16 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostRonyn, on 09 October 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

That's a nice blanket statement. Do you wrap yourself in it to keep you warm at night? Dismissing concerns is easy...

Ahh who the hell am I kidding, internet, right........

The forum is full of dumba**'s and only the ones that think they are elite should be listened to.

Did I do it right?

I'm not denying that balance is an issue, I am just saying that an alternative reason so many people post about could be because everyone thinks they know best, whether or no that is true is not up to me, but since I disagree with a lot of the garbage that ends up on the forums, of course I am going put my own opinions down, to at the very least add it to the mix of voices.

To be honest, the forums have breeded some pretty terrible short-sighted balance ideas that do nothing to fix balance, just shift it to something else. Remember when Highlanders and Victors were "so agile" that they were too hard to kill? Now its "assaults die too quickly".

View Postcdlord, on 09 October 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

You can throw your opinion right on that pile too pal. At least people are trying and with NOTHING from PGI, what do you expect. At least we care to give our ideas instead of leave.

Hey! I'm not your pal, buddy!

And yeah, that's what I did, that's why I started a balance thread with my opinion.

#17 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 09 October 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

That's the problem. PGI catered to the elite crowd with balancing in the past and now they feel they have the right to control it. Frankly, PGI needs balance for whats good for the game, not for how the elite players or anyone else feel butthurt because their Mech doesn't perform they way it used to. But, really, they just need to do something, because what we have now isn't working.

People posting ideas are just that. Ideas. If anyone thinks their opinion is better than another, they are just fooling themselves. Me included. But, people are trying and that's what is important. People see a problem and try to throw around ideas to fix it.

If there is a problem and you can adapt to the problem, but the problem still persists, you are simply fooling yourself to believe in and accept failure. Fix the problem, don't accept it for what it is.

#18 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

The funny thing about that is that EVERY SINGLE PERSON believes their idea and those that think like them are the ones that are correct about balance changes needed and everyone else is a part of the "clueless crowd"..........generally I find the more vocal someone is about how clueless someone else is the more "over inflated" their sense of understanding generally is. But that's just like, my opinion man, ya know?

#19 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 October 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'm not denying that balance is an issue, I am just saying that an alternative reason so many people post about could be because everyone thinks they know best, whether or no that is true is not up to me, but since I disagree with a lot of the garbage that ends up on the forums, of course I am going put my own opinions down, to at the very least add it to the mix of voices.

To be honest, the forums have breeded some pretty terrible short-sighted balance ideas that do nothing to fix balance, just shift it to something else. Remember when Highlanders and Victors were "so agile" that they were too hard to kill? Now its "assaults die too quickly".

Hey! I'm not your pal, buddy!

And yeah, that's what I did, that's why I started a balance thread with my opinion.

Fair enough, I just didn't like the "holier than thou" gist I got from it. But as long as you're aware that opinions are like a**holes, we all got 'em and they all stink, then I guess.

#20 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

View PostRonyn, on 09 October 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

That's the problem. PGI catered to the elite crowd with balancing in the past and now they feel they have the right to control it. Frankly, PGI needs balance for whats good for the game, not for how the elite players or anyone else feel butthurt because their Mech doesn't perform they way it used to. But, really, they just need to do something, because what we have now isn't working.

People posting ideas are just that. Ideas. If anyone thinks their opinion is better than another, they are just fooling themselves. Me included. But, people are trying and that's what is important. People see a problem and try to throw around ideas to fix it.

If there is a problem and you can adapt to the problem, but the problem still persists, you are simply fooling yourself to believe in and accept failure. Fix the problem, don't accept it for what it is.

When I've seen some of the "truly" elite players post on the forums, they tend to disagree with many of PGI's balancing decisions. They are not listening to the "elite" at all, it's more likely that they listen to low-end players...if anyone at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users