Fun Match With Trial Thunderbolt. 1100 Damage! :)

Video

5 replies to this topic

#1 Nas Imusak

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:14 AM

Hi warriors! I'm Nas o/ i'm still a beginner to mechwarrior. I've been trying out the different trial mechs. I had a pretty fun and interesting game with the trial Thunderbolt, so I made my first video! I was unable to record game audio for this, but I added some nice music instead. Hope you guys enjoy the fight! :)

All but a couple instances of chain were done with reasoning behind them, which may not be apparent in video, especially without game sounds :( (Such as: testing if shots hit terrain, or was turning legs while firing and didn't want to risk a full miss). As for jump jets... -shrug- didn't need them. Using jump jets seems to cause extra heat, which is kinda bad on a hot mech on a hot map (isn't it like.. boiling temperature there or something :D). Also, it slows down the mech and this mech accelerates extremely slowly.

#2 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostNas Imusak, on 10 October 2015 - 05:14 AM, said:

Hi warriors! I'm Nas o/ i'm still a beginner to mechwarrior. I've been trying out the different trial mechs. I had a pretty fun and interesting game with the trial Thunderbolt, so I made my first video! I was unable to record game audio for this, but I added some nice music instead. Hope you guys enjoy the fight! :)

I like it! Your 1080p was actually pretty good, even in full screen. (All 1080p is not created equal)
And, that was about the skill level I saw in "Trial Mech Tribulations". :)

Now, about that first track...
The '70s called. They want their music back. :P

View PostNas Imusak, on 10 October 2015 - 05:14 AM, said:

(Such as: testing if shots hit terrain, or was turning legs while firing and didn't want to risk a full miss).

Actually, that made complete sense while I was watching the video.

This game certainly has its share of invisible walls, and the distance of the weapons from the HUD is different for every hardpoint on every mech.

If you're spectating you can still see Atlas pilots putting their entire Alpha strike into the terrain because they have a hill in front.

(And, yeah, I think the temp on that map is 85 Celcius, which is, like, a zillion degrees Fahrenheit.)

#3 Chilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:33 AM

Hey Nas,

That was a fantastic game, well played! That T-Bolt build can be a blast!! I've had a few pretty nice matches in it myself.

IF you're looking for a unit, and you wouldn't be opposed to playing for an IS based unit, check us out!

Aces Wild

http://www.the-aces.com/

We're one of the more active units in the community and we offer a number of "extras" like role play missions, strike missions, community events, and more. If interested, you can also take a look at our forum thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...-the-aces-wild/

If ya stop by, tell 'em Chilly sent ya. That oughta be good for at least one round of cyber shine! ;)

#4 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

Some tips.
- Use JJ. Really learn to use it.
- Look at mechs damage. You can kill Atlas at beginning, he was open. CT is not always good option.
- 1100 DGM and only 2 kill. This is bad. 1100 DMG = min. 5-6 kill.
- Learn to rotate to the other side ;) Not only left.
Good match Mechwarrior :) See you in top tier in some time :)

#5 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

^ Yes, you can use jump jets to make your mech turn faster, and they make very little heat compared to your weapons.

1100 damage is good. Just work on getting more kills with that damage. :)
Or, when you're getting kills, it's OK if your damage score goes down.
One way of looking at it is: The faster you kill the enemy, the less damage you can put into them.

But, if you're grinding for C-Bills, I think match score and C-bills respond less to kills and more to damage score and component destruction.

(We wouldn't see so many LRMs on the field if they didn't pay well.)

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 10 October 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#6 Nas Imusak

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback, however I believe most of it is short sighted.

View PostMichal R, on 10 October 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

Some tips.
- Use JJ. Really learn to use it.
^ Yes, you can use jump jets to make your mech turn faster, and they make very little heat compared to your weapons.
- Look at mechs damage. You can kill Atlas at beginning, he was open. CT is not always good option.
- 1100 DGM and only 2 kill. This is bad. 1100 DMG = min. 5-6 kill.
- Learn to rotate to the other side ;) Not only left.

-There is no tangible benefit to using jump jets in this scenario. Liquid's suggestion that using JJ makes turning faster is false. I even tested this myself, recording a few 180 degree turns on the same spot first without jump jets, then turning while holding the jets and finally staggering the jets - I laid the videos side by side in a video editor and JJ did not accelerate turning to any meaningful degree.

- I did not need to jump to either shoot or get over obstacles. Using JJ simply for the sake of using them is foolish. The difference in turning speed in so small it does not outweigh the great amount of extra heat (in a map this hot it basically stops heat from dissipating while JJ are held). Nor is it worth the dramatic slowdown from an extended jump with a mech this slow to accelerate. Some players like to hop around for that little crouching effect that happens when you lift off, and I do that sometimes, especially on cooler maps. Also, If after the turn I am pressed by the enemy, I would rather have that extra heat dissipation from not jumping to allow me to shoot 1-2 more shots before overheating than the minor benefits of the jump.

- No atlas that I have met so far has used XL engine, so assuming kill from a side torso is quite silly. An atlas with one torso gone is still very dangerous. In general, unless a component is clearly weak/important and worth destroying, I go for the CT which is the cleanest way to reliably kill most (larger) enemies. I may not be able to finish them off but a team mate will, and this is exactly what happened on many of my targets. I was not trying for high damage numbers, simply taking every shot opportunity allowed. It doesn't matter at all who gets the kill shot, what matters is that the enemy dies. I guess most people are just so egocentric they place undue emphasis on killshots. Besides, I only had one shot on that atlas you mentioned with target info, and I was still moving while shooting so it wasn't that accurate... not every shot goes exactly where desired :rolleyes:

- Regarding rotation you are simply wrong in this case. All weapons on this mech are on one side, the whole design purpose and idea on the mech is to use the right side as a disposable shield and preserve the weapon side for as long as possible ;) Near the end I had already taken uquite a bit of left side damage despite trying to protect it, and one lucky hit from an enemy there could have crippled my weaponry.

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 10 October 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

1100 damage is good. Just work on getting more kills with that damage. :)
Or, when you're getting kills, it's OK if your damage score goes down.
One way of looking at it is: The faster you kill the enemy, the less damage you can put into them.

But, if you're grinding for C-Bills, I think match score and C-bills respond less to kills and more to damage score and component destruction.

(We wouldn't see so many LRMs on the field if they didn't pay well.)

I believe I answered most of these above :)

- NAS

Edited by Nas Imusak, 10 October 2015 - 03:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users