16 replies to this topic

#1 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:43 PM

When I first ran the Basic Training, there was no sound with the intro sequence. I have yet to hear Captain Jerkwad's voice.

Recognizing, of course, that the voices were missing, I have since looked at my settings in-game. I had the dialog sound slider at 0. Turned it up. STILL no voice.

I kinda imagine that Captain Numbskull has the same voice as that kid from the Pokemon cartoons, and I try to imagine everything in that voice. I mean, I wouldn't know. Maybe it really IS.

The narrator for the opening sequence? That's Edward Norton's voice as the Narrator in Fight Club, because quality narration is important.

But again, I WOULDN'T KNOW, now would I?

#2 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:08 AM

Voice acting from Captain Jackwaggon isn't that bad actually, I was moderatly impressed by the resemblance to an actual game when I booted it up.

#3 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:50 AM

What is basic training? There is some tutorial finnaly? :)

#4 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:34 AM

@Seph MacLeod: Yeah, not bad. Not really GOOD, either, but it's a game. And while it's intended to be a quality experience (and it is pretty good, to be fair), it's clearly not priority number one with MWO. Maybe it's just 22 years of the Army talking, but Captain Annoying there sounds like that guy who had a desk job and went on to brag back home about what a war hero he was, all Navy SEAL and stuff. Borderline faker. I'm far from convinced. I may also be a touch jaded. Grain of salt, and so on...

@DrSlamastika: Yeah. Went in a couple patches ago. There's a guided, step-by-step tutorial, called "Basic Training". It pays C-Bills, too. About 5,000,000; easy money. There's also the Mechwarrior Academy, which has a few drills you can run to sharpen some basic skills. Give it a try.

On-topic...

Fired up on old account last night just to try it out. The account was reset in some patch over the last year and a half, so that all of the options were on. Background music, Betty, the works. And when I entered Basic Training in THAT account, the narration was there. Captain Desk Jockey's voice was present, too. Everything.

In the current active account, however, still no dice.

#5 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

As someone who did a stint in the Marines, yeah..civilians always miss the real military tone to give troops and commanders. I roll my eyes a lot in movies or games. Hell the first half of the Halo movie "Forward Unto Dawn" was painful to sit through.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

View PostSeph MacLeod, on 13 October 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

As someone who did a stint in the Marines, yeah..civilians always miss the real military tone to give troops and commanders. I roll my eyes a lot in movies or games. Hell the first half of the Halo movie "Forward Unto Dawn" was painful to sit through.

I was an AH-64 attack helicopter repairer for many years. We used to make MAD jokes about that ridiculous excuse for a film, "Firebirds". Television, Hollywood (and its counterparts abroad), the video game industry? They all almost universally miss the mark. They also work out just fine, because the vast majority of the people (at least in the USA) that they're producing for, they have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what the real thing looks like. They'd be sorely disappointed in it if they ever DID see it.

One big Hollywood exception? "Blackhawk Down". Had a 1SG in one of the companies in my battalion, last time I was in Korea, who had spent YEARS in 160th SOAR(A), and was actually IN that movie. He was a door gunner on one of those Blackhawks in the film. They spent a lot of time with the veterans of that mission. It WAS Hollywooded up a bit, but not a bad job at all as Hollywood goes.

Anyhow, much as I hate that POG in the Atlas, it's still not bad work on PGI's part. It's middle-of-the-pack for video games. And Hell, what do I know about 31st Century military organizations? In a thousand years, we may just find that it's spot-on...

#7 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 13 October 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

stuff, cool stuff, but stuff

Yeah I hear yeah. They managed to get a LOT of things wrong. I my self was a Mechanic for Light Wheeled Vehicles.

They just.. they have the ability to use military advisers, they need to USE them.

Black Hawk Down is always hard for me to watch, not because it's terrible, but.. just the effed up situation that was.

#8 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

All audio channels have to be turned up to hear everything.

We ran into some odd caching problems that put arbitrary delays into the audio if we stuck everything in sfx - latest patch should improve things, and the next patch will allow you to skip the opening with the spacebar

#9 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:43 AM

Nice work PGI, love the new training part of MWO.

#10 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostDave Forsey, on 14 October 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

All audio channels have to be turned up to hear everything.

We ran into some odd caching problems that put arbitrary delays into the audio if we stuck everything in sfx - latest patch should improve things, and the next patch will allow you to skip the opening with the spacebar

Thank you sir.

I just want to REITERATE, that when I turned up ALL AUDIO CHANNELS and reentered BASIC TRAINING, still no voices. I had to start BT from a whole different account to hear it.

#11 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 13 October 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

Maybe it's just 22 years of the Army talking, but Captain Annoying there sounds like that guy who had a desk job and went on to brag back home about what a war hero he was, all Navy SEAL and stuff. Borderline faker. I'm far from convinced. I may also be a touch jaded. Grain of salt, and so on...

Well he's a sim jockey who refers to your training as a game, so there's that.

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

"I'm a UAV operator. So basically I'm just like Maverick in Top Gun."

Yeah. I know that guy.

#13 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:52 PM

Off-hand RAbbi, there might be something in the files in the USER directory, or in the .cfg files, but I'd have to have a look at them to try and figure it out.

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 15 October 2015 - 11:52 PM, said:

Off-hand RAbbi, there might be something in the files in the USER directory, or in the .cfg files, but I'd have to have a look at them to try and figure it out.

Tell ya what: I'll run a repair tool on it this weekend to be sure, and go doublecheck all the settings after that. THEN I'll retry it. IF I still have this problem or not, I'll post here. We can figure out what next from there, as appropriate. Sound cool?

#15 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Works for me. I'm thinking something in the config files must be over-riding the in-game settings somehow... we'll see

BTW - the files are human readable, you can check yourself and see if there's something suspiciously associated with sound

#16 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:54 AM

Not that I have run into similar problems. But thanks for the input Dave, nice to know if more of us encounters such situations :)

#17 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:15 AM

Mr. Forsey:

Seems that repair fixed it. That, or maybe I'm a goof and missed something before.

Anyhow, problem no longer exists. Don't know that the repair tool FOUND anything that needed repair, but no worries. It's working correctly now.

Thank you for your prompt attention to the matter!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users