- - - - -

Pre-Newbie Questions.

5 replies to this topic

#1 WolfEagle1

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationIowa, USA

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

I played MW4 back in the day and just stumbled across MWO! Jeez, how could have I have not known? Anyway, I haven't downloaded the game yet as I recently started WOT on XBone so I don't have the time to jump into another MMO right now but I do have some questions.

1) WOT has a large and active player base on the consoles, where is MWO in it's lifecycle? Growing, stable, declining?

2) How is matchmaking handled in MWO? Based on tiers or skill levels or...?

3). Are Premium ($$$) Mechs generally better than their "free" equvalents or slightly nerfed?

4) back in the day I used a multi-button programmable stick and separate throttle controls for MW4. What are the cool kids using nowadays for controllers? Specific recommendations?

5) how is the forum community? Helpful, snarky, ghost town except for the die hards?

Thanks in advance for responses!

#2 PaxMacharia

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

1) Well it changes but since steam it's growing again
2) Still not sure if the Pilot tiere realy does something
3) No, for example the BNC LM can be outperformed with the BNC 3E with ease
4) well not realy a fan of controllers but the ds4 in combo with the makros of a g15 works fine
5) well I hope that helped ;D

#3 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostWolfEagle1, on 12 October 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

1) WOT has a large and active player base on the consoles, where is MWO in it's lifecycle? Growing, stable, declining?

Growing of late with the Steam release, but small compared to WoT. Most estimates place the active player base between 50k and 100k with 2k - 4k typically playing at any given time.

2) How is matchmaking handled in MWO? Based on tiers or skill levels or...?

<----- That Yellow "1" over there is my Tier. You can choose to display it in the forums or not at your discretion.

Varies by game mode. Each player is assigned a Pilot Skill Rating (PSR) that corresponds to a Tier of 5 when joining. Tiers range from 1 - 5, with 5 being lowest. As one plays matches, PSR adjusts based on performance. When your PSR hits the threshold for moving up (or down) to the next Tier, your Tier rating changes. Adjustments during the first 25 matches are magnified to quickly move better players up into a more appropriate Tier. After 25 matches, PSR adjustments happen much more gradually.

There are 3 game modes with different matchmaking approaches:

1. Quick Play (aka Solo Queue) - A mode to play strictly as solo. Tiers are placed together with an allowance of +/- 2 Tiers (e.g. Tier 5 only plays against Tiers 3, 4, and 5 while Tier 2 Plays against Tiers 1, 2, 3,and 4, etc.)

2. Group Queue - You and your group have your PSR's averaged and the matchmaker tries to place you with and against groups of similar averages. No firm restrictions on opponents, however. If you're Tier 5 and you have some higher Tier teammates, you could play against one or more Tier 1 opponents, for example.

3. Faction Warfare - no matchmaker at all. First come, first serve and if you line up against a full 12-man of Tier 1's, them's the breaks. Faction Warefare is not recommended for new players. Seriously. NOT recommended.

3). Are Premium ($$$) Mechs generally better than their "free" equvalents or slightly nerfed?

In some cases, somewhat, and usually with new releases where people paid for early access to the mech. Over time they generally get brought roughly in line with other mechs. Even when new, the level of difference is minor. You can get very capable equipment for nothing but in-game currency. The grind is real if you go this route, however.

4) back in the day I used a multi-button programmable stick and separate throttle controls for MW4. What are the cool kids using nowadays for controllers? Specific recommendations?

Sticks work, but the top players in this game use keyboard and mouse pretty exclusively. I'd recommend going that route. You'll find precision aiming (a key skill here) to be MUCH easier with a properly configured mouse and keyboard setup.

5) how is the forum community? Helpful, snarky, ghost town except for the die hards?

Generally helpful, especially to new players posting in this section. More snarky in other parts of the forums. Well populated among all skill levels. There's also a couple of Reddits for MWO: /r/outreaachhpg and /r/mwo. Outreach is considered the "official" reddit despite the odd name (long story behind that).

Welcome and good luck.

Edited by Khereg, 08 February 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:56 AM

I'm glad someone found this, but... you two gave answers yesterday to someone who asked them in October, 2015.

Someone this poor soul slipped through the cracks.

#5 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:59 AM

The risk of posting while on conference calls... :)

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:09 AM

View PostKoniving, on 09 February 2016 - 04:56 AM, said:

I'm glad someone found this, but... you two gave answers yesterday to someone who asked them in October, 2015.

Someone this poor soul slipped through the cracks.

not the case.
This was a duplicate thread, I just checked on his profile and there is another thread which most of the regulars posted in months ago
http://mwomercs.com/...00#entry4761100

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 09 February 2016 - 06:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users