• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:32 PM

The title says it. I need a couple other light pilots who want to team up and do some 3 man light hunting pack games. Playing the Huginn recently got me thinking, a good group of light pilots can decimate a match if they roll together. I had a match earlier today where we were down 1 kill to their 4. My lights actually listened to me and flanked behind enemy lines. Once the call was given, we stomped their 3 LRM boats, rolled through their other mechs, and pulled off a miracle victory of 12/9 (the 3 lights were all that survived haha).

Anyhow, I am posting this in the noob forum because I am also relatively noobish. I would like a couple light mech volenteers who would be willing to worth together with me to become a very skilled light lance.

This is for public matches mainly.

If anyone..including new players is interested in honing their light skills in a small group, lemme know. I would love to have some fellow light pilots to stomp enemies with.

#2 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:40 PM

I'll keep it in mind. At the moment, I'm running a lot of solo recon stuff, AND trying to skill up EBJs and TBRs. But I might like to try something different and get back to the old light wolfpack thing for a bit. Maybe kniock the dust off my JR7s and LCTs, skill up that LCT-PB I bought and almost never played. Might even drag out the old RVN-3L close-range build. WHO KNOWS?! I'll try to leave myself a reminder to check in with you over the weekend, as I work until 10:30pm EST most weeknights.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:50 PM

I am UK based so it seems unlikely that we will be on at the same time but I do prefer light Mechs so feel free to send me a friend invite and if we are ever on at the same time send me a group invite and I will probably be willing

edit:
I like Lights and fast mediums so if you already have the 3 Lights I could probably bring a Cicada and still keep up with the pack

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 13 October 2015 - 01:20 AM.

#4 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:41 AM

Might be that I won't be able to join this either, but I'm very intriqued. I have a nice selection of IS lights. You can add me as a friend and drop an invite if you need someone to fill the light lance. I believe this could be hella fun.

#5 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:33 AM

Wolf packs can do wonders even in CW. I remember a match counter attacking in Boreal, where a guy on our team proposed to go full lights in the first wave. The clanners didn't expect it at all, and our team wiped their first wave (mostly heavies) quite quickly.

I live in Spain, so, like Rogue Jedi and InsaneRotta, timing can be a problem, but sometimes i stay until late night, so feel free to add me to your friend list. Maybe we can find a good time to play. If not, best of luck with your light lance!

#6 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:12 AM

View Postpatataman, on 13 October 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

Wolf packs can do wonders even in CW. I remember a match counter attacking in Boreal, where a guy on our team proposed to go full lights in the first wave. The clanners didn't expect it at all, and our team wiped their first wave (mostly heavies) quite quickly.

I live in Spain, so, like Rogue Jedi and InsaneRotta, timing can be a problem, but sometimes i stay until late night, so feel free to add me to your friend list. Maybe we can find a good time to play. If not, best of luck with your light lance!

Methinks I'll add Rogue Jedi and you on my friendslist so even if we can't drop with OP we could try the light stomp with each other? Good idea?

#7 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:35 AM

View PostInsaneRotta, on 13 October 2015 - 04:12 AM, said:

Methinks I'll add Rogue Jedi and you on my friendslist so even if we can't drop with OP we could try the light stomp with each other? Good idea?

Sure, it will take me a while to accept the invite, i'm still at work. Maybe we can form a lance at each side of the Atlantic Ocean and then test our skills against each other? ;)

#8 Xbwalker

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:09 AM

I'll add you all. I am on at odd hours so we will catch each other eventually :)

#9 ApexX Ataraxxia

Rookie

• The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostXbwalker, on 12 October 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

The title says it. I need a couple other light pilots who want to team up and do some 3 man light hunting pack games. Playing the Huginn recently got me thinking, a good group of light pilots can decimate a match if they roll together. I had a match earlier today where we were down 1 kill to their 4. My lights actually listened to me and flanked behind enemy lines. Once the call was given, we stomped their 3 LRM boats, rolled through their other mechs, and pulled off a miracle victory of 12/9 (the 3 lights were all that survived haha).

Anyhow, I am posting this in the noob forum because I am also relatively noobish. I would like a couple light mech volenteers who would be willing to worth together with me to become a very skilled light lance.

If anyone..including new players is interested in honing their light skills in a small group, lemme know. I would love to have some fellow light pilots to stomp enemies with.

Im new here. First post. Just downloaded. Not sure what I will be playing. Starting on a Light Mech in a pack would probably be more forgiving and let me learn the ropes a little faster. Im a very competitive gamer and have a lot of history on Hawken and with MW in general (started back on 3 in the old days with a massive Joystick set up haha). If you are interested still just let me know! Im gonna jump into game right now haha

#10 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

View PostApexX Ataraxxia, on 13 October 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

Im new here. First post. Just downloaded. Not sure what I will be playing. Starting on a Light Mech in a pack would probably be more forgiving and let me learn the ropes a little faster. Im a very competitive gamer and have a lot of history on Hawken and with MW in general (started back on 3 in the old days with a massive Joystick set up haha). If you are interested still just let me know! Im gonna jump into game right now haha

I love the initiative, but the usual recommendation is to start either medium or heavy. Lights are FUN, but they're light on armor and weaponry (mostly). Not saying "DON'T DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOSH", but rather, "Expect that the already-steep learning curve will be even a bit steeper for you."

At any rate, welcome and ENJOY!

#11 Xbwalker

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 13 October 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

I love the initiative, but the usual recommendation is to start either medium or heavy. Lights are FUN, but they're light on armor and weaponry (mostly). Not saying "DON'T DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOSH", but rather, "Expect that the already-steep learning curve will be even a bit steeper for you."

Apex, I am going to play devil's advocate here and say (if you are a patient person), start with lights. I did and I have to say, it was a trial by fire. Lights are squishy but they are also very fast. Your piloting skills will thank you if you stick with lights. Watch some training videos online. My personal favorite is obviously the raven. Go for whatever you think suits you.

Oh and DEFINITELY spend time in the training grounds with your light mech of choice. Practice circling enemies, flybys (I only recently learned how), hitting a single spot with each pass, and anything else that you think might be useful.

Ok now since I am still noobish, can someone tell me, is there a way to play a private game with just a few people for the purpose of practicing or is it matches only?

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

Private matches CAN be done. IIRC, one player on either side must have premium time active in order to play a private match. All the parameters (map, match length, mode, etc.) can be set by the hosting player. No need to have a 12v12; you can do 1-on-1, 4-on-4, 5-on-2, whatever you like. It might be a good way to practice, assuming you know someone (RAISES HAND) who has active premium time and a willingness to work with you on it.

FYI, private matches like that DO NOT count toward PSR tier or KDR or anything else stats-wise, so go nuts!

#13 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

I'm not sure, but i think 2 players, one on each side, needed premium time for a match with less than 24 players, and for a 12 v 12 it wasn't needed.

#14 ApexX Ataraxxia

Rookie

• The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:37 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 13 October 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

Well I watched some videos on recommendations for starting with a Light Mech and picked the Jenner. Hunchbacks look fun and the Catapult is a familiar old face haha. I figured if I started with the hardest, like another was saying, it would bring me up to speed much faster then taking a heavy haha. About to jump in now though, been watching vids for like 4 hours. Thanks for the welcome!! :D

#15 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

View PostXbwalker, on 12 October 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Would love to help you out, but until my new computer arrives in november-december,, I cannot play the game at all, but after that time, if you are still wanting some light pilots to join you, then I would be happy to join your crusade.

Ed: spelling correction.

Edited by Leif Tanner, 13 October 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#16 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

JR7 is a good chassis! It was better before the First Quirkening, but still a good light mech. You're gonna want to store up some funds, though. First, most important upgrade? XL300 XL295 engine. That's not cheap (>3,000,000 CB IIRC). Also need DHS (1.5 mil), Endo, and Ferro. 4x ML and whatever missiles suit you. If it's SSRMs or LRMs, grab a BAP as well. And keep at least two JJs in it.

Shame you're so late to the party. The JR7-D(S) Sarah's Jenner was just about perfect. It was THE meta-Jenner when it came out, but it was a limited-time-only kind of thing. Great cause, too. I was really REALLY proud of this community for that, and PGI as well.

Anyhow, stock engine and SHS on that mech WILL get you wrecked. It's upgrayedd (spelled with TWO d's, as he says, for a double dose of his pimping) frenzy time. That means NO CONSUMABLE EXPENDITURES until you get the first one fully upgraded.

As for regular mech modules, I'd go with those next after getting that first JR7 set up. Use it to work up the funds, once you get comfy in it, for a full set of modules. Radar Derp is a good one, as the JR7 has no ECM. Target Info Gathering is also a great pick. And if you plan to scout instead of wolfpacking, Seismic Sensor might be a good call (only works when you're standing still). Medium Laser range module will be useful.

Good luck with that thing. If you're on late evenings EST (say after 10:30pm Eastern US), I'll keep an eye out for ya.

***EDIT***

Try something like THIS. It's a solid build, faster than a ACH, with that ECM-busting BAP and a pair of SSRM-2s to make sure you hit up close, and arm-mounted MLs for the basic IS standard up-close-and-personal stuff. Artemis IV FCS isn't MANDATORY, but it's worthwhile even on a Streak build. Well, eventually, once you've got that money thing all sorted out...

Oh yeah, that's about 10.8 million CB built, including buying a stock JR7-D. WITHOUT modules. Just sayin'. It's the goal, NOT the starting point.

Edited by TheRAbbi, 13 October 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#17 CLANBOY FFI

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

If your intrested in lights why not take a look at this event.
Posted Image

#18 Xbwalker

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

Ok, I am adding everyone up to this post. Thanks guys for all the interest. It is great to see fellow lights interested in showing our teeth :)

#19 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

Just for the record, the only Light-class 'Mech i own right now is the Raven-3L, but am also currently working on finishing the elite tiers of two Jenners and 1 Jenner master tier, but of course, the prize of those 'Mechs is the Raven-3L (and will probably buy the Raven-4X once again, if only because of its jump jet capability, which, while its Elite tier has been completed, I have not done much in the way of the master tier on it yet, sorry).
But given that my Hunchback-4j (Harumi) has an XL engine that allows it to coast at close on 100 kp/h, it might be a good addition to you.

#20 Xbwalker

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 13 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

Cool man. Go ahead and add me. I just hopped out of game. I had a freaking 5 kill match with my Huginn and 650+ damage. I figured quit while I was ahead. haha

Oh and I picked up another Jenner pilot a few minutes ago in game. The wolfpack is coming together

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users