8 replies to this topic

#1 Groove Crusader Blue

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 41 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:34 PM

Having recently bought a shadow cat and having good times in it is the wave three executioner pack worth its price? also being an aussie its around $160.

I play this game a fair bit and am rather curious as to know whether its worth the price.

#2 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

I did first order the Ebon Jaguar pack, and the EBJ is a very good Mech, of not the best Clan in its weight class. Very low profile with high Hardpoints. Wy better than my Hellbringer (but of course no ECM).

Also the ACH is the best light at the moment IMO. 5SMPL+Insane Agility, two high monted Energy Hardpoints make it also good for hill sniping with ERLL.

The Executioner is a rather special mech, its MASC gives it high agility, you can instantly reach top speed, so very good for fighting around Corners. The JJ with decent Jump Height are also a very nice feature on an Assault. With those features you can drive it like a Medium/Heavy on tight spots, but with Assault Armor. My favoured Loadouts are 7 SMPL+2ERLL or, if you have good heat management, 6MPL+2ERLL. I mastered the EXE within four days. But you have to play it very active and brawly.

So i suggest you to get the Collection, Premium Time and the other goodies make it even more attractive, plus you get one EXE with special Camo as Top Tier reward if you buy it soon.

#3 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

the EBJ is a good ballistic mech, with decent energy, but in reality big ballistic is the only thing it has over the timber, less armor too.

the EXE is very temperamental, and works best med-close, key is to fully utilize it's sprinting capabilities.

the ACH is a solid light mech with ECM, a bunch of JJ's and good hit boxes.

you are already familiar with the SHC, again, MASC is key, remember it's meant to sprint, not run, imagine it like a Panther.

#4 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

CAULDRON-BORN PACK.

Not really sure if the EXE is good or bad. FWIW, though, it's big and NOT a top-tier assault. EBJ, though, is DAMNED good for a 65-ton heavy. Lower Tier 1, according to metamechs.com. ACH is also up there on Tier 1. I thoroughly enjoy BOTH.

Most folks will say that the SHC is a very niche mech, and not incredibly competitive. Perhaps it's even true. First mech I had a five-kill match in, though, and I've been at this on and off for three years. MASTERed 3 of 'em (missed out on the SHC-P, but have since bought the -P LA omnipod for giggles). In the long-range recon and ERLL sniper role, it's aces.

Again, highly recommend the Cauldron-Born pack. If you wanna go the extra step for the EXE, that's cool. But at least the other three mechs in that pack are a lot of fun. Best $90 I've spent in this game so far.

#5 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:00 PM

In agreement there, overall wave 3 is well worth it; even the "underperformers" of the current meta tend to be very good in their particular roles and at least enjoyable to pilot or whip up builds for. The Executioners definitely excel best in close to medium ranges as stated earlier; I used to use my Prime as my go-to soloqueue farmer by default for good reason though it took a bit to find what worked for me in them best. Initially I was disappointed, then I was anything but.

The kicker with it is finding the specific build that works for you; the 2 LPL 4 med with D pods is ranked pretty high for good reason in the meata, but I've found other loadouts for close range engagements that punch hard and piss off cocky lights to boot (rare for an Assault). Add in the mobility bursts and the fact it still can jump fairly well, and yeah, it may not be a Dire Wolf, but it does well in a few areas the Dire's suck ass at without relying on crazy high Alphas to make up for being a sitting duck.

Look at it less as "holy ****, this Assault is going to make the Clan Heavies cry with Alphas/DPS", and more "This thing has quite a big chunk of armor, mobility and can still punch well." It's versatile; if you like Assaults that are more mobile (but not quite as 'meh' as a Gargoyle by any stretch) it may just be your thing.

If you like your Assaults being more fatasses that just churn out crazy damage then it might not. Think XL Battlemasters and Banshees, but without popping because one torso went down. Closest way I could describe them. Since you won't get the 4th variant in the package, you can still get the D pods if you want high mounted energy independently to cover those bases anyhow pretty easily.

#6 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:47 PM

Hard to say, really. The pack is extra expensive when you're not getting the 4th variants and other goodies. Inevitably some of the best omnipods come in the 4th variants. Oh, and I feel your pain re: exchange rates. Damn US dollar being good again.

Cheetah is good, probably a little too good. Whoever decided it needed quirks and the Executioner didn't is insane.

Shadow Cat is fun, not a heavy hitter though so automatically a lot of people dismiss it. If it had 1 more energy hardpoint, or 1 more ton available for that extra bit of ammo or heat sink, it could be so good... personally I really like the UAC5 and UAC10 builds, with a couple backup lasers and ECM. Not a powerhouse, but it's fun and I find I survive in it pretty often. Mostly because it forces you to be cagey, and not attack head-on.

Ebon Jaguar is good, but a bit bland to play over time. You can put just about any combination on this thing, and with no quirks on it right now (good or bad) you can get a lot of mileage out of the pods with the most weapon slots. No jump jet variant though makes it a bit less versatile than the Mad Cat, though I do prefer the Jag based on the flexible hard points.

Executioner is more fun than you'd think, and like many assaults it gets 10x better with the skills fully unlocked. It does well with corner peeking and generally being obnoxious, and having advanced seismic sensors AND radar deprivation makes MASC much more useful. My favorite loadouts are either UAC10 in the right torso, with a handful of ER mediums in each arm, or dual UAC5 in the right torso, with ER mediums in the right arm and ER smalls in the left arm. You can also swap for SPL if you don't mind the range. Gives you quite nice DPS up close.

I've had unreasonably good games in the Executioner, one of the most memorable being 7 kills (5 solo, 6 most damage dealt), 1 assist, and 900+ damage. It simply does things that other assaults can't (thanks to jump jets and MASC), so your biggest weapon is being unpredictable. An assault mech that can outmaneuver the enemy is a rare thing, even if it doesn't pack the most impressive weaponry. If you're not using that mobility, you're better off in a different mech.

#7 Groove Crusader Blue

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 41 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:34 AM

Alright just ordered the wave three mechs. thanks for your help, the cauldron-born looks to be an impressive addition. im staying away from the EXE as i have victors and a battlemaster to fill it role. thanks though your input has been helpful

Also Luscious Dan, i have configured one of the shadow cats to be a suprisingly hard hitter that favors bat-Sh!t crazy piloting over being cagey. All you need is a pair of srm6's and 3 med pulse and away you go. all the kills and damage are belong to you.

#8 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:10 AM

well from what ive seen opinionwise, the arctic cheetah is good, the ebon jaguar is also good, the shadowcat is debateable but not exactly considered as amazing and the executioner is not considered that good since its main feature is the masc... assaults generally not caring much about maneuverability and it wastes tons of weight on jets and masc and in some cases deadweight heatsinks.

#9 Lujke85

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

Got the wave 3, no regrets to date. Favorite match so far was flanking a light mech firing line in a shadow cat, coming up from behind and assassinating them with a gauss rifle to the back BOOMZ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users