205 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:29 AM

In your opinion, who is the best? And why? I don't mean famous, I'm talking skilled.

When you put a mechwarrior up for consideration, explain why or provide a link to give us something to consider. You could tell us of an accomplishment, etc. Tell us what their skillset is, light mechs, assaults, etc.

Would it be Kai Allard Lio? Black Widow? Who?

Edited by TheArisen, 29 October 2015 - 12:36 AM.

#2 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 18 October 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

In your opinion, who is the best? And why? I don't mean famous, I'm talking skilled.

Would it be Kai Allard Lio? Black Widow? Who?

Of course, it depends on the era (in-universe), on the MechWarrior's actual age and on the real-world year (out of universe).

But generally speaking, probably Kai Allard Liao has the best stats.

#3 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

skilled.. in what? shooting? piloting? strategical? tactical?
theres so much to take into account. on sheer piloting skill propably kai allard-liao.
other than that? i think grayson death carlyle should be considered.

#4 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

I believe Kai allard Lia might be the top contender for number 1 mech pilot.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 26 October 2015 - 07:53 PM.

#5 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hard to say, considering all the legendary pilots have absurd amounts of plot armor. I can only image what would happen in a free for all between Jamie Wolf, Natasha Kerensky, Morgan Kell, Justin Allard, Aleksandr Kerensky, Kai Allard-Liao, Phelan Kell, Victor Steiner-Davion, Aiden Pryde, The Bounty Hunter, Archer Christophori, Rhonda Snord, Yorinaga Kurita, and well the list goes on and on. Kai and Natasha have probably the most over the top careers and some pilots have insane career spans as pilots like Natasha's 64 years. Really, really hard to say.

#6 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:04 AM

Both Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita developed a 'Ghost mech' skill making them essentially unhittable. I'd say that guarantees you winning almost any fight (as long as you don't overheat and also keep your general cool, I'm looking at you there Yorinaga!).

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:52 AM

Those warriors are only known by the novels - there are a couple of others in history and future of battletech that could be equaly or even better,

Take for example the SDLF Gunslinger program including Alexander Kerensky - thinking this guy only drive an Orion - must have been a monster :D

Or Devlin Stone - or some of the later Republic Knights and Paladins.
OK Kai killed single handed almost a complete company of Death Commandos in his last rampage.

#8 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, IF it's not Kai, it's probably his dad. Justin Xiang-Allard Liao.

I remember the bit from the Warrior Trilogy where Kai is despairing how he's so bad because he always gets beaten in his family matches... and Victor's like "Dude! Your family sim matches are playing against two of the best mechwarriors of the generation!" (Since Kai's mom was no slouch either - nor were his sisters)

Of course, Kai gets better. I think that's without saying.

Morgan and Yorinaga definitely have a horse in the race for Phantom Mech reasons. So they're the other possibles, with Morgan being tops since, well, he won. And survived the battle of Luthien in an Archer without being hit by the Clanners. (Seriously, I'd have loved to see something about a Clanner Challenging him, and seeing what would happen!)

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:05 AM

View PostAlienized, on 18 October 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

theres so much to take into account. on sheer piloting skill propably kai allard-liao.

How about who is the best tactician & who is the best pilot.

#10 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 22 October 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

Sorry Arisen but I have to say Aidan Pryde. After reading the Jade Phoenix Trilogy, the Pryde family wins hands down IMO. Black Widow is next in line though.

Victor Davion is a ***** though.... sorry but I hate his smug little face that can do no wrong.

Haha - yes of course:
  • we have the Phantom Skill - of Kell
  • we have the undead dwarf - that is to stupid to die
  • we have the killer LBX of Pryde
  • we have the killer thunder LRM 20 of Pryde
  • we have the killer small laser of Pryde
  • we have the incredible skill of Allard
So when we mix the genes of all plus add some weapons from pryde you got a warrior that can destroy a whole regiment of Elite Troops single handed.

Sry guys - those novels are full of **** about "best mech warriors"
The only "warriors" that seem to be "believable" in a novel are those of Thomas H. Gressmann

Edited by Karl Streiger, 22 October 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#11 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:57 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 22 October 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

Haha - yes of course:
  • we have the Phantom Skill - of Kell
  • we have the undead dwarf - that is to stupid to die
  • we have the killer LBX of Pryde
  • we have the killer thunder LRM 20 of Pryde
  • we have the killer small laser of Pryde
  • we have the incredible skill of Allard
So when we mix the genes of all plus add some weapons from pryde you got a warrior that can destroy a whole regiment of Elite Troops single handed.

Sry guys - those novels are full of **** about "best mech warriors"
The only "warriors" that seem to be "believable" in a novel are those of Thomas H. Gressmann

Sometimes history is crazier than fiction. Look up Audie Murphy, he's the most decorated soldier in US history. He was a real guy and he did some stuff you'd expect from a comic book or something.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:42 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 20 October 2015 - 12:05 AM, said:

How about who is the best tactician & who is the best pilot.

Of course we have those infamous Mary Sues such as Kai Allard-Liao, Victor Steiner-Davion or Phelan Kell.

But when I am thinking about less mary-sueish characters, there is one MechWarrior I would not really want to face in the battle:

Specter Precentor Omicron Berith

#13 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:50 AM

The first name that sprang to mind was Kai Allard-Liao. He didn't need to rely on uber-quirked weapons or magical phantom Mechs, he just had excellent tactical fighting nous, aim and overall skill.

#14 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:57 AM

Victor Steiner-Davion without question. He survived a war in a Victor.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:39 AM

View PostAppogee, on 25 October 2015 - 02:50 AM, said:

The first name that sprang to mind was Kai Allard-Liao. He didn't need to rely on uber-quirked weapons or magical phantom Mechs, he just had excellent tactical fighting nous, aim and overall skill.

Reading canon rules regarding Kai Allard-Liao and laughing: Officially Kai's enemies can barely hit him, they lose all bonuses that could help them (such as Targeting computers or pulse lasers), etc.

View PostCatra Lanis, on 25 October 2015 - 02:57 AM, said:

Victor Steiner-Davion without question. He survived a war in a Victor.

You mean, a few months. The next few decades he used 100-ton Clan Daishi.

#16 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

This has been interesting to read. I think that Kai Allard-Liao is definitely a top contender for the Inner Sphere. He used several battlemechs in his time including the Yen-Lo Wang to protect Victor Steiner-Davion from the Clans. On the Clan side while I think that Aidan Pryde is good, I am of the opinion that Phelan Ward was actually a better overall mechwarrior.

#17 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostAlienized, on 18 October 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

I have to agree with this. Kai is great and all, having gained an unusually large amount of natural talent for piloting mechs from both his parents, however, he always had gobs of support thanks to Victor Davion... Yes there was the time he killed an Elemental bare-handed, but that was more luck than anything.

Grayson Carlyle though, he always had the odds stacked against him right from the start, and he would eventually build a merc unit that rivaled the Kell Hounds and the Dragoons... I'm still unbelievably pissed though over the whole Jihad BS, all but wiped out the three best merc units in the entire Inner Sphere.

#18 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:15 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 25 October 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

I'm still unbelievably pissed though over the whole Jihad BS, all but wiped out the three best merc units in the entire Inner Sphere.

pffff.... so you like vanilla all the time?
Anyhow -the Kellhounds were obliberated by the chicken wings in 314? by orbital bombardment
believe me the Dragoons had the better destiny - even made a successful last charge, their sacrifice should not be pitied.
Well the Gray Death meat their destiny during the rebellion - when he did the only thing right - he and his wife did remember the oath they have given the throne - and the legion meat their end in form of the 4th Skye Rangers - the remnants anyhow - called Brewster Legion were slaughtered by the 18th Division on Glengarry.

Better to go down in flames with your coat of arms on your mech than seeing your unit disbanded and the color you did wear with pride to be removed and your mech send to another unit.

and in this regard Jackson Davion was a better MechWarriors as those mary sues together - he did know when it was time to die - not because he couldn't have lifed but he recognized that the people of new avalon did need a martyr for a successful defiance - and so he did the same as a Kai Allard but instead of killing a "StarCluster" BS he just tried to take a single enemy with him

Edited by Karl Streiger, 26 October 2015 - 12:18 AM.

#19 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 18 October 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

Hard to say, considering all the legendary pilots have absurd amounts of plot armor. I can only image what would happen in a free for all between Jamie Wolf, Natasha Kerensky, Morgan Kell, Justin Allard, Aleksandr Kerensky, Kai Allard-Liao, Phelan Kell, Victor Steiner-Davion, Aiden Pryde, The Bounty Hunter, Archer Christophori, Rhonda Snord, Yorinaga Kurita, and well the list goes on and on. Kai and Natasha have probably the most over the top careers and some pilots have insane career spans as pilots like Natasha's 64 years. Really, really hard to say.
I always figured Victor was never really in the running for "best" MechWarriors. A good one, for sure, but a better strategist than pilot, or that's the impression I got from the latter half of the Twilight of the Clans series anyway.

#20 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

If we take account of everything, including the ability to command regiment-sized forces on multiple worlds, then I think Adam Steiner is a damn good candidate for the best there is. He even had Victor on the ropes, if not for the meddling Com Guard deserters. Adam turned out to be a damn good ruler too, and had fought personally in a battlemech until he reached eighty years of age.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Adam_Steiner

Marthe Pryde is also a good candidate, from the Clan side.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 October 2015 - 10:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users