• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

View Postdarkkterror, on 25 October 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

He's just trying to come up with another Ghost mechanic. Ghost Heat, possibly Ghost Damage with the laser lock on change thingy. What's next? Ghost Speed?

We already have Ghost Speed. It's called Speed Tweak.

#22 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 25 October 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

No.. that would be an "interrogation".

If you haven't seen Paul in the Vlogs sweat it like he was on death row, then you don't want to know see his answers in a 20-20 like intereview.

LOL I also remember how Russ looked so strungout, i remember commenting that they should take a break and some sunshine.

lol back then i didnt know anyone and what they were doing other than a vid.

Edited by DAYLEET, 25 October 2015 - 05:39 PM.

#23 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

Threads like this just diminishes my faith in humanity a little bit at time...

Far from being a Paul apologist but I'd have a hard time taking anyone's opinions, suggestions or critiques seriously when reading threads like this.

You guys are like sheep... Yeah, I understand it's "vogue" to pile on Paul and denigrate his very being but it's tough to constantly digest this vitriol and I'm not even Paul.

Sorry, not a big fan of school yard bully mentality.

Edited by DaZur, 25 October 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#24 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:23 PM

View PostDaZur, on 25 October 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

Far from being a Paul apologist but I'd have a hard time taking anyone's opinions, suggestions or critiques seriously when reading threads like this.

You guys are like sheep... Yeah, I understand it's "vogue" to pile on Paul and denigrate his very being but it's tough to constantly digest this vitriol and I'm not even Paul.

Pfft. What's the weather like up there? Respect is earned. No one here believes for a second that Paul gives a fat rats arse what any of us think. He's made that quite obvious over the years.

#25 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

People rage. People cry. People play. People post.

Do whatever you want, the dude is still going to get paid at the end of the day laughing all the way to the bank, and you're still gonna be here.

Edited by saKhan Ds00 Kerensky, 25 October 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#26 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostRandom Carnage, on 25 October 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

Pfft. What's the weather like up there? Respect is earned. No one here believes for a second that Paul gives a fat rats arse what any of us think. He's made that quite obvious over the years.

No this is not an enlightened or exulted commentary from above on my lovely marble thrown... This is an accurate depiction of bully mentality and sheepish group think.

Like I said, no Paul apologist... Just a long-time member who's sick and tired of folks in this community who think it's okay to denigrate people, be it Paul or anyone they don't agree with...

Yeah, I get it... It's the internet and it's overtly convenient to hid behind the anonymity it provides. I see bloviating cowards who think it's wonderfully cool and trendy to demean people because well, other people are doing it so it has to be okay...

#27 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

I don't think bullying is a good thing either. But I don't see people posting things that resemble bullying. If one considers negative criticism or people not agreeing with you bullying... well... there's a place for people like-minded...

But yeah, if you're dealing with hundreds or thousands of dollars of other peoples money and it doesn't seem like things are getting done (glacial progression) or done without foresight... well... people tend to get pissed, type and say things that aren't always friendly. So, forgiveness all around.

Edited by saKhan Ds00 Kerensky, 25 October 2015 - 08:53 PM.

#28 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:09 PM

View PostDaZur, on 25 October 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

No this is not an enlightened or exulted commentary from above on my lovely marble thrown... This is an accurate depiction of bully mentality and sheepish group think.

You put yourself in a position like that, public, responsible of stuff influencing a lot of people, you expect that. You don't have to like it, you can be bitter at the responsibility of the job you chosed and go hide on twiter. Either way they win because we fkin pay their salary.

#29 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

View PostsaKhan Ds00 Kerensky, on 25 October 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

I don't think bullying is a good thing either. But I don't see people posting things that resemble bullying. If one considers negative criticism or people not agreeing with you bullying... well... there's a place for people like-minded...

But yeah, if you're dealing with hundreds or thousands of dollars of other peoples money and it doesn't seem like things are getting done (glacial progression) or done without foresight... well... people tend to get pissed, type and say things that aren't always friendly. So, forgiveness all around.

But that's just the thing... If this were simply folks critical of Paul or for that matter PGI, I'm perfectly fine with this. Critique and criticism is good for understanding where they are failing this community. That's not what we have here...

What we have is the equivalent of any group conversation where let's say "Dave's" (Yes, that's my name) name is mentioned and the involved participants upon hearing my name, in turn for no reason other than to denigrate utter, "douche" idiot" moron" slack-jaw knuckle-dragging troglodyte" (okay I get carried away)... These adjectives are not germane to the discussion and none of which would be issued directly to my face.

You are right... bulling is not necessarily accurate but it works for expedience. The point being, OP made an observation that Paul happened to be reading the forums on a weekend (God forbid he actually read the forums eh?) and many of the following posts are effectively taking turns denigrating him.

Maybe I'm a bit hyper-sensitive tonight or something but this obviously set me off.. The humorous part is if you knew me, "sensitivity" is not necessarily one of my strong points so this reaction is not necessarily typical for me. ;)

#30 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:26 PM

View PostDaZur, on 25 October 2015 - 09:10 PM, said:

What we have is the equivalent of any group conversation where let's say "Dave's" (Yes, that's my name) name is mentioned and the involved participants upon hearing my name, in turn for no reason other than to denigrate utter, "douche" idiot" moron"

maybe im drunk, and i am but, if you are around the same people for years they are going to act in ways they woudlnt with a person they just met. Why? because with "friends" you do that. Now you could chose to be insulted or play the game, your call, first option is going to single you out and eventually you will disappear from the group. You know, the way guys ***** their friends like women say nice things to their enemies...

yes ofcourse, some are outright aggressive, so fkin what.

#31 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:03 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 25 October 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

Guarantee it wasn't the features and suggestions forum.

I lol'd at this, hahaha.

PS: good for him to read the forums. After the death threats and other stuff PGI staff received I'm surprised we even have a game (even if it's in the state it currently is). I hate the logic, or lack of, ghost heat as anyone else but some comments about him as a person are totally unnecessary, so I agree w DaZur.

Maybe, just maybe, we might have forums that rise above this stuff.

#32 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:20 AM

When it comes to bad game design decisions, it's better to get angry at the decision rather than the individual, because regardless of who is the source for a particular mechanic, there will usually be a refinement and sign off process etc. Many people have a hand in the apple barrel of ******** like ghost heat etc.

Edited by NextGame, 26 October 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#33 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:24 AM

View PostNextGame, on 26 October 2015 - 12:20 AM, said:

When it comes to bad game design decisions, it's better to get angry at the decision rather than the individual, because regardless of who is the source for a particular mechanic, there will usually be a refinement and sign off process etc. Many people have a hand in the apple barrel of ******** like ghost heat etc.

I'll just leave this link here, and a choice quote from it:

The company values are "Creativity, Passion and Humility." It's sad that people in charge contradict their own set of values. They stifle creativity by shooting down ideas because their egos get in the way, effectively killing any passion for the work. I have never ever seen management show any kind of humility, just a lot of bitterness and arrogance.

#34 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:13 AM

View Poststjobe, on 26 October 2015 - 01:24 AM, said:

I'll just leave this link here, and a choice quote from it:

Regarding the link posted: It's difficult to read into these things without actually being there.

I do some employee engagement within my department at work as a side activity, and it seems to me that this is an indicator that morale is low at the moment rather than anything else, as its often the management that get it in the neck first in that circumstance. That said - I work at a large telecommunications company, and not a small game development company, so what's true for my company isn't necessarily true for a company of PGI's size.

I'm also a software developer btw, and my projects tend to have a similar level of funding to some game titles (a few million in whatever currency you like), and in my experience, unless PGI are doing something very left of field, while you will have leads for any particular function, design is design by committee, and that's why its not really fair to single out an individual. It's stuff like this thread that potentially contribute to stuff like in the link you posted, because perception plays it's part.

Another thing from some of the comments in the glassdoor link: communication is a skill - if, in a work environment, and being the actual developer, you can't talk people round to your way of thinking regarding feature mechanics on software etc, then its somewhere you need to skill up on. It's a reason why a lot of developers struggle to progress their careers regardless of their exceptional abilities to write some code, or make some 3d models or whatever. It's why the seemingly useless arseholes who don't seem to do anything other than attend a few meetings tend to get the leg up when it's available. But if there truly is a creative brick wall at PGI, we should all cease spending money on this game, because it means that PGI are destined to implode sooner rather than later and we will lose our digital stuff.

The other reason I'm commenting in this thread is that there was, quite a while back now, another thread that basically was in the same vein - character burying one of the PGI staff over the failed crowd funding for transverse. I didn't like how that read either, very similar to this thread - singling someone out and attacking them over what is effectively a business decision which, although had a functional owner, is something that would (in a typical project environment) have had input and decision making by a group of people.

By all means, attack PGI as a whole for crap decision making (Personally I find their design choices and direction to be pretty lazy) - but I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to attack individuals unless they have clearly said or did something that is solely down to them and them alone.

Edit: btw, its not how this thread started that's the problem (it's rare that PGI take *any* interest in their community at all lately), it's how it progressed.

Edited by NextGame, 26 October 2015 - 02:52 AM.

#35 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:46 AM

Agree completely, the way this community of supposedly adult people thinks it's ok to behave in this matter is disgraceful.

The apologies and "explanations" for isn't one bit better, for that matter.

#36 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:52 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 25 October 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

With all the personal insults thrown against him here in the past I wouldn't read the forums if I was him, except specific sections like the PTS feedback, but he seems to be pretty thick skinned.

Yeah, that's why mere days after a team spent a whole match knocking him down over and over and over and over again, collisions were immediately removed from the game.

#37 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:25 AM

Most of the comments directed towards Paul in this thread are fairly benign and not personal.

"He's probably sitting in the meme-thread or one of the threads filled with cat pictures"
"He is checking his checking his post nerf c-bill balance."
"He's just trying to come up with another Ghost mechanic."

That's not denigrating his very being or bullying. That's just joking about his professional work as a game developer in charge of balancing the game and how he's posting on the forum. Other comments are less light-hearted and more vitriolic, but they hardly represent the majority.

Some of the Paul jokes are basically memes at this point. The Paulconomy is an example of this, even though Paul has stated that he funnily enough had nothing to do with the C-bill nerf. Most of the forum regulars are aware of this, but the Paulconomy meme lives on as a joke.

#38 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

He was just checking to see if the same 12 Players are really on ALL 7 days a week, just lying in wait to ambush any Dev that might show some interest in posting.

Because that is just how the 12 roll... ;)

#39 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

Posted Image

#40 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

Ummmm, folks, if you seriously think that some of these comments were actually constructive, well . .
Welcome to Jett Comm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users