4 replies to this topic

#1 Flitzomat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:52 AM

Hey guys, i was running MWO when it crashed to desktop and an error message appeared I had never seen before (a pretty long list). As I was in game I did not read it as usual when I try to reconnect as fast as possible to rejoin. While MWO was loading again my screen went black... So it seemes to me my video card is either damaged or broken.
My workaround is momentarily to use the motherboard vga socket to get a picture.

What I have checked so far:
HDMI Cable - checked and working
Monitor - checked and working
Checked for dust on fans - nothing unusual
Assured the video card to be in place
video card status in device manager - it says working
Deinstall/reinstall video card drivers - still not working

Status now: using the HDMI socket of my video card leaves me with a black screen.

So basically I am wondering if you have heard of this,
if this has smth. to do with MWO (or if the mwo error message was just a coincidence),
if there is something to be fixed or checked
or if this is the death of a video card (never had one before) ?

Video Card: Club AMD Radeon HD 7800

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:07 AM

http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html

See these two lines here?

Posted Image

Change your resolution see if that works

(There is also that "ViewMode" thingie, up at line 7 you could try, too.)

Can you link your card to the monitor with a different type of cable? (Got a DVI-A-to-VGA adapter?)

Got any other games you could try at that resolution? Download Catzilla?

(Assuming an 7850) You would break even with a R7 370 (aka 265;) You would meet the proverbial Three Tiers Up with a R9 380 (or a R9 280X,) but now you got'a worry about your PSU …

Edited by Goose, 03 November 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#3 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:26 AM

Sounds suspiciously like a VGA death. I'm with Goose, try to get a GPU stess tool and run it to see if the device is still working.

And before we can properly recomend replacement parts, lets get the basics down.

Mobo:
CPU:
PSU:

#4 Flitzomat

• 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

Mobo ASROCK Z77Pro3
Intel Core i5-3450 @3,1GHz
Be quiet 530W

But to get that sraight: I always have a black screen not only when running (or launching) MWO. My Monitor does indicate that he is connected though.

Edit: I did try your tool, reinstalled and nothing happens. I guess I have to accept that the VGA is dead. I wil just doublecheck with a friends VGA that it is not the mainboard.

Any suggestions for a new card in the 150€ range?

Edited by Flitzomat, 04 November 2015 - 02:25 AM.

#5 kauldron

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:51 AM

My VGA died when I was playing MWO, too. I clicked on the CW tab, and the PC just gave me a black screen and froze completely (non responsive keyboard via num lock, etc). I did a hard restart, reloaded the game, clicked on CW again, and the same thing happened, only this time the pc would not restart (I got a "Windows recovery error" barely readable in some strange green letters). I removed the VGA and connected the screen with the on board graphics card that the mobo has, and the pc started normally. Prior to that, HDD scan did not show anything, nor did restore fix anything.

System is windows 7 ultimate, VGA is (or rather, was), Asus radeon HD 7770 1 GB, RAM is 8 GB, CPU inter Core i3 4330 @3.5 GH .
In late July, there was a power outage during which my screen died, and the PC must have taken quite a beating (all three keyboard lights would flash on and off as the geniuses of the electricity company brought back power and instantaneously cut it off for about 6-7 times). I don't know if this did some damage to the components and the condition of the vga gradually deteriorated from there. My new screen also has about 70% more pixels in comparison to the previous one, so this must have added some strain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users