173 replies to this topic

#21 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:59 PM

View Postluigi256, on 03 November 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Well I suppose I could try some AC2 builds on this PTS. Perhaps I'll throw on a LRM20 too in the testing grounds to check how much the spread change is.

Will the IS Medium laser and Medium Pulse laser be linked together with ghost heat like the Clan versions are?

I'm not sure how I feel about the reduction of the basic quirks. They seem to have been nerfed almost to no benefit, especially without Elite. Are they supposed to be nerfed so much? Will we be getting other skills soon?

fine with me now it should feel like we are actually piloting big behemoth robots.

I want to see new skills for different classes like take anker tern from assaults and give them an armor buff so each class is more defined.

#22 burns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationMonerica

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:04 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 03 November 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

IS Medium Pulse Laser: Heat Scale now matches that of the IS Medium Laser. 6 IS Medium Pulse Lasers can be fired without incurring a heat penalty.

Posted Image

XD

Edited by burns, 03 November 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#23 M3 SABLE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

Atlas a "force to be reckoned with"????

OMG

As an almost, Atlas-only pilot since beta; my years of struggle will reward me at least a little bit. Hallelujah.

JK

Words do no not sway me, waiting for numbers.

#24 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

The main beef I have is the further nerfing of Clan DHS, because it disproportionately hurts the chassis that lack the tonnage to cram in enough sinks to compensate. Mechs with sub-250 engines are hit even harder.

I'd rather address the heatsink size disparity through "indirect" means like reducing the heat on some IS weapons (meaning you don't need as many DHS on IS mechs) and/or reducing the Clan DHS item health by half (they get critted out way faster).

#25 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:19 PM

The only Quirks that are in place for this PTS are related to Sensor Range, Inner Structure, and Armor.

Supposed to read Internal Structure?

All SRMs/SSRMs
• All IS and Clan SRMs: Base speed increased to 400m/s (up from 300m/s)
• All IS Streak SRMs: Base speed increased to 250m/s (up from 200m/s)
• All Clan Streak SRMs: Base speed increased to 230m/s (up from 180m/s)

Good start, but you realize isSRMs weight twice as much? They need 2.5 damage and tighter spread, if both share the same speed (which is fine by me).

But I'll gladly try 400M/s, even if I'd prefer 500M/s. Iteration and all that.

• Clan ER Small Laser: Maximum Range increased to 360m (up from 320m)
• Clan ER Medium Laser: Maximum Range increased to 688 (up from 648)
• Clan Small Pulse Laser: Maximum Range increased to 297m (up from 264m)
• Clan Medium Pulse Laser: Maximum Range increased to 561m (up from 528)

dat 66M isSPL too stonk

Perhaps throw that into the next iteration...or get rid of this entire silly mechanic. Don't fudge around with VARIABLE OPTIMAL RANGES, do that to the Maximum, but keep optimal ranges to whichever static location you choose.

• All IS and Clan Gauss Rifles: Cooldown increased to 5.5s (up from 4.0s)

You must also consider the +0.75s charge time. This is now a 6+s cooldown weapon.

Harsh, but test-able. It IS the best weapon in the game, in every scenario. Best Crit weapon in the game, best Long range weapon, easiest to use, etc...
This gives it a significant disadvantage up close.

What does the Jesus Box have set for 'targetingFactor'? The 1.0 of the previous test, or the .25 of the live server?

#26 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 November 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

The main beef I have is the further nerfing of Clan DHS, because it disproportionately hurts the chassis that lack the tonnage to cram in enough sinks to compensate. Mechs with sub-250 engines are hit even harder.

To be fair, people are trying to compare the laservomit Stalker vs the laservomit Timberwolf (in terms of how much DHS you can stuff onto a mech).

Collateral damage is to be had.

I'd rather address the heatsink size disparity through "indirect" means like reducing the heat on some IS weapons (meaning you don't need as many DHS on IS mechs) and/or reducing the Clan DHS item health by half (they get critted out way faster).

That could kinda work, but health on stuff like this doesn't change much (well, unless you lower to old ECM health levels). Remember most energy based Clan mechs stack them like nothing (unlike the Gauss Rifle that is virtually guaranteed to be hit).

Edited by Deathlike, 03 November 2015 - 06:23 PM.

#27 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 03 November 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
• Attempting to access the PTS session prior to October 28th at 3:00 PM PDT (10:00 PM UTC) will result in a 'Servers Undergoing Maintenance' message.

Hmm... Sure!.. Exactly!. .. But least, the other infos are accurate?... Right?

#28 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostSky Hawk, on 03 November 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

Hmm... Sure!.. Exactly!. .. But least, the other infos are accurate?... Right?

To be honest - the fact that people can't patch up in advance gets more annoying... especially if the changes have to be last minute.

#29 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 03 November 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

Supposed to read Internal Structure?

Good start, but you realize isSRMs weight twice as much? They need 2.5 damage and tighter spread, if both share the same speed (which is fine by me).

But I'll gladly try 400M/s, even if I'd prefer 500M/s. Iteration and all that.

dat 66M isSPL too stonk

Perhaps throw that into the next iteration...or get rid of this entire silly mechanic. Don't fudge around with VARIABLE OPTIMAL RANGES, do that to the Maximum, but keep optimal ranges to whichever static location you choose.

You must also consider the +0.75s charge time. This is now a 6+s cooldown weapon.

Harsh, but test-able. It IS the best weapon in the game, in every scenario. Best Crit weapon in the game, best Long range weapon, easiest to use, etc...
This gives it a significant disadvantage up close.

In what way is the Gauss Rifle the easiest weapon in the game to use? O_o I would argue it's the most obtuse with the silly charge mechanic. Unless I'm ill informed (quite possible, I don't keep up with these things that closely) The machine gun is the best crit weapon in the game. Plus, the rifle is more likely to kill its user than the enemy half the time... If the Gauss has to have that ridiculous charge mechanic, it should only be explosive WHEN IT'S CHARGED. *grumbles*

Sorry, this one has bugged me forever... I F*ing love Gauss in all iterations of MW. While I don't /usually/ boat them, if I've got a ballistic slot, a Gauss is probably going into it. I hate the charge mechanic, but I've gotten accustomed to it. This extra nerf of an entire second and a half seems obscenely overkill... It's already a tough weapon to use when you're in a hard brawl.. This increase in cooldown isn't going to hurt it as a boating weapon used for hill-sniping, it's gonna hurt the average joe who uses one on their balanced machines.

I also don't usually fly off the handle from an announcement like this before getting my hands on it... but... stop picking on my Gauss rifle T.T

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 03 November 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#30 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 03 November 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

In what way is the Gauss Rifle the easiest weapon in the game to use? O_o I would argue it's the most obtuse with the silly charge mechanic. Unless I'm ill informed (quite possible, I don't keep up with these things that closely) The machine gun is the best crit weapon in the game.

Practice.

No comp team goes w/o it as it is the top ballistic option.

#31 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

So in Community Warfare, we are going to have to get right up next to the turrets in order to engage them--at least with lasers--because we will not be able to lock onto them since they are, quote "anything other than a 'Mech" unquote?

#32 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

So, if IS MedLas and MedPulse are restricted to only being able to deal 30 and 36 damage before ghost...why are the Clan counterparts able to deal 42 and 48 before ghost?

The whole point of ghost was to limit group damage, but it doesn't work if you have variable limits.

#33 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

Also, if the single heatsinks get much better (or the doubles get much worse) I am going to ask my tech to refit my mechs with captured IS tech.

#34 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

wrong direction with LRMs, it doesn't make any sense to make heavier launchers worse since havn't seen anything other than LRM5s and 10s in a looooong time

much better direction:

remove LRM ghost heat
make all LRM launchers have a 4sec or 5sec cooldown
remove the ability to chain fire LRMs - alpha only. also all LRM mounts are linked as 1 so if you fire 1 launcher you fire them all

this makes LRMs a proper artillery weapon - you either fire all or none, and it gives the opponent time to find cover between volleys. no need to adjust the current spread since large volleys should have a relative amount of missiles miss just to prevent extreme boating, and it will make LRMs even more of a huge waste to fire against fast lights.

and finally since all the mounts fire simultaneously as 1 mount it is now a disadvantage to mount 4 LRM5s over 1 LRM20

Edited by JagdFlanker, 03 November 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#35 M A S E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:35 PM

That skill tree needs a whole lot more than a simple beating with a nerfing stick. It needs expansion, and a secondary points-to-use level up system that adds an experimental dynamic. I hate using LoL as my example but their runes and masteries have elements that are worth looking at. Personally wouldn't mind having a few MOBA characteristics applied to MWO. 343 Industries makes a solid example.

Something that has a sub menu of its own shouldn't be excused with a simple value change. I really hope to see some new material on this before it all goes live.

#36 SkippyT72

• PipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:38 PM

Why would a single HS EVER work better than a double HS, look at the name and remember that the clan mechs are not allowed to choose, but then again PGI loves to make IS tech better than clan tech in this game don't they?

Edited by SkippyT72, 03 November 2015 - 06:38 PM.

#37 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

View PostM A S E, on 03 November 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

That skill tree needs a whole lot more than a simple beating with a nerfing stick. It needs expansion, and a secondary points-to-use level up system that adds an experimental dynamic. I hate using LoL as my example but their runes and masteries have elements that are worth looking at. Personally wouldn't mind having a few MOBA characteristics applied to MWO. 343 Industries makes a solid example.

Something that has a sub menu of its own shouldn't be excused with a simple value change. I really hope to see some new material on this before it all goes live.

They've acknowledged this, and it's on the agenda... there's just other stuff they gotta do right now, namely CW Phase 3 at the moment. They intend to completely redo the skill tree... but it's gonna be a HUUUGE thing. Aside from raw programming, there's logistics too... What happens to all the millions of XP we've sunk into our mechs if they reset the system? If we still need to buy 3 of each chassis to complete certain levels, what happens to those of us who have sold them to only keep one or two variants?

#38 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 03 November 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

In what way is the Gauss Rifle the easiest weapon in the game to use? O_o I would argue it's the most obtuse with the silly charge mechanic. Unless I'm ill informed (quite possible, I don't keep up with these things that closely) The machine gun is the best crit weapon in the game.

2KM/s velocity, longest range in the game make it easiest to effectively use; Lasers still need to maintain a burn, but an argument can be made there.

As for Crit weapons, the MGs need 10/.72=~14(rounded up) Crits to destroy an item, to the single Crit the Gauss Rifle needs.

You have a TC1? You have a 49% Chance to Crit an item, to the 52% chance of a Machine Gun. If you get a TCVII, you have a 54% Chance to crit (but really, just take the TC1)

As well as the FLD Crit advantage; you hit 13 points of armour and break into Structure...guess what happens.
You deal FULL crit damage, destroying the item and get your +2.25 extra bonus damage.

You get a double Crit on a fully armoured cockpit with Dual Gauss(17-20+%), you instagib that mech, from 100% to dead in a single shot. Does that cockpit have even a single point of armour missing? Bam, 42-54% Chance to instantly kill him, as you only need a single Crit.

They should give it a sub-1 'critDamMult' to not let it be the best Crit Weapon in the game.

Edited by Mcgral18, 03 November 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#39 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

I think the skill tree nerfs are a great idea, by and large. It's a simple way to achieve many good things, without having to buff/nerf specific mechs:

- Wholesale nerf to heat efficiency --> reduce incentive to laser-vomit vs. using other weapons, higher TTK
- Make game slower-paced --> differentiate from generic shooters
- New mechs are more competitive --> better NPE, less painful levelling-up process

Just a piece in the re-balance puzzle of course, but IMO moves the game in a good direction.

#40 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

I don't know when PGI is going to understand not to screw 10 other chassis' to balance 1 or 2.

with the new DHS values... what about the poor lynx?... cute fox and adder?... stuck with poordubs forever!

Edited by Navid A1, 03 November 2015 - 06:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users