Over/under Terra Therma Ever Being Played Again?

Voting System Terra Therma

30 replies to this topic

#1 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

So with the new map and game type voting system what are the chances Terra Therma is ever played again? Well at least played while the voting system is in place. I am going to bet on 0%, although I did see it get 4% of the vote today prior to one match.

#2 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

Nah, terra is a bad map.

#3 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

:( Mordor will be missed :(

as will conquest

#4 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:52 PM

I'll miss it.

What I won't miss is Terra Therma assault base caps. They're very nearly indefensible.

#5 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

If you told me a month ago that I'd miss Terra Therma, I'd have thought you were crazy. But now that it's almost never on? I really, really miss that blistering hot map, even if I'm piloting a dual PPC RVN-4X.

It was a litmus test to see who can actually manage their heat. Who can maneuver the best they can, who can outflank the enemies in the maze of tall cover. It was pretty much the only map where black-red camouflage actually works, because heat vision is (literally) blinding!

It was punishing to people that didn't know how to breach chokepoints, who didn't know how to flank/feint. I guess that's why people hated it, on top of the heat. It wasn't a *bad* map.

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

I will vote for it every time I see it. Why? Because I'm strange and seem to like maps that no one else likes. (Such as Bowser's Castle in Mario Cart 64...)

#7 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

Played it once yesterday.

It reminded me why I never vote for it.

#8 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

what fun is life without a bit of challenge?

:( mordor will be missed :(

#9 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

View Postloopala, on 05 November 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

what fun is life without a bit of challenge?

Posted Image

#10 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

To be honest, as much as I didn't like Terra, I liked it more than Alpine

#11 AntleredCormorant

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

In b4 Terra Therma Challenge weekend

#12 ginger

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

Our group usually isn't big enough to swing the vote in our favor but we like to do this when we can.

This works especially well against teams that are heavy on the laser vomit meta since most of them can't manage their heat in a nasty brawl on Mordor, and we favor heavy dakka and about 50% of our mechs typically carry multiple LRM launchers specifically for these types of tactics.

We like to swing around the edges on Mordor and put 2-4 mechs (usually our brawlers) on their base to make it look like a base cap rush while everyone else hides behind one hill or another in adjacent grid squares just off the side of the most direct return approach. As soon as enough of them commit we envelop them from 2-3 sides and make a killbox out of their base, typically putting all the missiles on the biggest threat. It can turn into a real meatgrinder and most teams don't react to the the envelopment like they should so our success rate is pretty high. If nothing else it makes for a fun match on a poorly received map and is way more fun than trying to take the stupid volcano in the middle.

#13 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:17 AM

I got it 6 or 7 times on Saturday while playing my dakka boat Banshee. I was lovin' that :D

I think all it takes is enough folks running cooler loadouts, voting away from cold maps and The Bog, and presto: "Laser Boat Hell, party of 24? You're table's right over here ..."

I'll 'fess up, I vote for it even in laser boats, because pilots are getting so comfy not managing their heat carefully. Makes it a shutdown shooting gallery.

#14 Nyuuu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 10 November 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

I'll 'fess up, I vote for it even in laser boats, because pilots are getting so comfy not managing their heat carefully. Makes it a shutdown shooting gallery.

I, and I think most don't even see it being so hot as the main downside. I for myself enjoy it as a change of pace even while running the hottest laserboats.

The main failure about the map is the insanely boring and stupid chokepoint design towards the middle, preventing a proper gameflow and almost any flanking attempts from lights. Pretty much the worst map in that regard...

In pug the team first to get the middle will win every single time, with the sole exceptions of it being stupid enough to leave the middle before acquiring a big enough lead.

#15 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

I played Terra thermal several times last couple of days.

also played caustic.

only map not getting any love at all have been forest and viridian.

on forest apparently its the visibility.

viridian its the visibility and the tripping everywhere.

#16 Stelar 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

I like the map and still drop there from time to time. It beats the heck out of alpine. Redo Alpine please.

#17 Lord Curmudgeon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

I have put out the order for my unit for terra troll Tuesdays. We ran some large groups Tuesday and repeatedly voted terra Therma. It was great! The gnashing of teeth and ire over chat was worth the heat tax! Most fun we have had since the voting system came out.

#18 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

The best part of the voting system is never having to play pug on that pos map.

#19 Scifi Toughguy

• PipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:50 AM

Why would you want to play on that map? Its ugly and takes forever to get anywhere. I don't mind hot maps as it adds a new dimension but Terra Therma is just gakked. Tourmaline on the other hand is pretty and fun to play on. It does still take forever to get anywhere but I don't revile it like I do Therma.

#20 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostScifi Toughguy, on 12 November 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Why would you want to play on that map?

Tactical variety. Cleaver use of chock points. Encourage good heat management, or at least less hot designs. Etc.

Also... It's a volcano! ;)

Personally, I don't find what people's issue is with the map. I enjoy it, and if people play it well, it can be a lot of fun. Only problem I can see is most players either don't know how to play the map very well, or they want to back up as soon as their paint gets scratched, which leads them to blocking their entire team.

The key to this map, even if your enemy gains the center first, there are other ways to fight. There are more than one entrance into the center, pick two or three, and do a combined charge. Force your opponent out of the center even, by not engaging them there if they got there first. As I said, many ways to play the map.

Same can be said about Alpine, and yet most everyone rushes to that hill in the middle, and no where else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users