[Trial Of Grievance] Repasy Challenges Soy To Honourable Combat!

78 replies to this topic

#21 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 08 November 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

Haha, this I like. You Clanners always had the right idea when it comes to resolving dumb arguments.

I've wasted most of my funds on upgrading IS 'Mechs I never play, but I got myself a stock Warhawk recently I haven't upgraded yet since I've been trying to sit out the voting system. I'd be down for a Zellbringen-style throwdown, though.

If a few people are up to it, we could full fight club. 4 'Mechs enter, and the winners of their respective Zellbringen have to go at each other as-is.

Definitely down for a 3v3 Zellbrigen. Do we have four others that would be interested?

#22 SgtSkullShatter

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

Sure! I would be :D

#23 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

Sweet! Only three left.

Also, if anyone is ever interested in 1v1 feel free to add me in-game. I've been itching to test out a new Summoner loadout. :)

#24 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

Well, I'll have to postpone my entry for tomorrow. Only a few hours left for sleep as it it is.

#25 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

For those who were looking forward to this, sorry guys but I don't think it's happening. Soy has yet to reply, and has had ample time to review and respond to my challenge. I plan on keeping this challenge open until Friday, Nov. 13 11:30 PM EST, but I don't expect much at this point. Rather disappointed.. :/

#26 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

It's cool that you guys are so into the roleplay aspect of the game, I bet Soy probably doesn't give a rats ass about zellbrigen though. I fully expect Soy to challenge both of you to a no rules duel for accounts though. Meaning if you lose you never log on to your account again.

View PostDomenoth, on 06 November 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

So, if any of us are betting folk, should the odds be 3 to 1? :ph34r:

More like 5 to 1 realistically.

#27 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

i don't know much of him myself, but judging from the thread he's a known troublemaker. Really, if the accusations you made are true I'd just send copies to the messages to PGI and have him properly dealt with.

There's a limit to how much dumb **** we need to tolerate from people and Soy obviously lacks the backbone to resolve this dispute in person on your terms.

Also pwnface, I somehow doubt he'd even sell his 'Mech if he were to lose under the current rules, so why agree to such conditions? Not to mention that he's not in the position to make demands here.

#28 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 09 November 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

Also pwnface, I somehow doubt he'd even sell his 'Mech if he were to lose under the current rules, so why agree to such conditions? Not to mention that he's not in the position to make demands here.

I think if anyone actually agreed to a no-rules, play for accounts duel with Soy and beat him he would honor it. The people that Soy has recently been challenging don't really stand a good chance of winning though.

Zellbrigen is for special kids by the way. Asking to fight face to face without the ability to dictate range or cover is an unnatural way to play any FPS game. It does slightly improve the odds for you though, I guess...

Edited by pwnface, 09 November 2015 - 02:37 PM.

#29 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

View Postpwnface, on 09 November 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

Zellbrigen is for special kids by the way. Asking to fight face to face without the ability to dictate range or cover is an unnatural way to play any FPS game. It does slightly improve the odds for you though, I guess...

I am aware of the connotations of Zellbringen, but what I was getting at is that when challenged to a duel of honor, the offender is not in the position to make demands on the rules of the duel as long as peers of both combatants do not agree that the terms of the challenge are unreasonably specific or cruel.

#30 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

View Postpwnface, on 09 November 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

I think if anyone actually agreed to a no-rules, play for accounts duel with Soy and beat him he would honor it. The people that Soy has recently been challenging don't really stand a good chance of winning though.

Well, I for one would expect Soy to honor a duel for accounts agreement for 72 hours or less. His kind clearly don't know the meaning of honor if they're willing to issue that sort of challenge BUT only when they dictate the terms. THAT is special...

Only a cur would have the gall to restrict a rival in that way, after they agreed to honorable duel.

Edited by Repasy, 09 November 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#31 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

View PostRepasy, on 09 November 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

For those who were looking forward to this, sorry guys but I don't think it's happening. Soy has yet to reply, and has had ample time to review and respond to my challenge. I plan on keeping this challenge open until Friday, Nov. 13 11:30 PM EST, but I don't expect much at this point. Rather disappointed.. :/

That's about what I expected from him.

View Postpwnface, on 09 November 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

It's cool that you guys are so into the roleplay aspect of the game, I bet Soy probably doesn't give a rats ass about zellbrigen though. I fully expect Soy to challenge both of you to a no rules duel for accounts though. Meaning if you lose you never log on to your account again.

He challenged me to a quasi-no rules duel. Out of all the rules that could be made, Soy chose to make a single rule about Consumables while I made a single rule setting the battleground to be the central crater of Terra Therma. The night of the duel, he complained that the match favored me too much because of these two rules and refused to follow through on the duel unless I allowed him to set additional rules.

The irony is, only two rules existed and one of them was his! He'll only fight if he can give himself a definitive edge over the other pilot. If there's a possibility that he will lose, then he won't go through with it.

View PostSethAbercromby, on 09 November 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

i don't know much of him myself, but judging from the thread he's a known troublemaker. Really, if the accusations you made are true I'd just send copies to the messages to PGI and have him properly dealt with.

There's a limit to how much dumb **** we need to tolerate from people and Soy obviously lacks the backbone to resolve this dispute in person on your terms.

I heard he's currently banned or something. He should still be able to access PMs though.

Agreed; even if someone got Soy to duel them and then beat him, I highly doubt that Soy would make good on the terms for losing. He's too squirmy and lacks the follow-through. He'd make some kind of excuse to avoid the penalties associated with losing and to try to paint his opponent in a bad light. Shoot, after he backed down from our duel, he went to my YouTube Channel and gave my MWO vids a thumbs-down. Every single one I've clicked on since that night has a dislike now, including some that I never advertised and had buried from a couple years ago. Talk about pettiness.

#32 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 09 November 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

Agreed; even if someone got Soy to duel them and then beat him, I highly doubt that Soy would make good on the terms for losing. He's too squirmy and lacks the follow-through. He'd make some kind of excuse to avoid the penalties associated with losing and to try to paint his opponent in a bad light. Shoot, after he backed down from our duel, he went to my YouTube Channel and gave my MWO vids a thumbs-down. Every single one I've clicked on since that night has a dislike now, including some that I never advertised and had buried from a couple years ago. Talk about pettiness.

HAHA yea, if he lost my challenge I'd mostly expect him to not follow through with scrapping his mech.

Even though it'd be just as easy to buy a brand new one afterwards... *shrugs*

Side point: your vids rock man, especially compared to his... lol..

EDIT:

Furthermore... if it is true that Soy is facing a temporary ban, this is the first I've heard of it. As such, I am willing to keep this challenge on the table up to a week after whenever he's allowed out of the penalty box.

I just want to elaborate further on what pwnface said... why would anybody ever want to duel for accounts? Even if the rivalry is heavy, if the person goes on to not accept those ridiculous terms I'd probably end up hating them even more bc I would be the one looking like a fool (no offense, but it really is a stupid condition to make in the first place, as I don't know anyone who would honor that...).

Likewise, if the person did accept and lost BUT fought honorably... why the heck would I want that player to never log on again?!?!? If anything, I'd probably want to be friends with the guy! Lets not sugar coat it guys, honor is in sparse supply and low demand in this game. I would never want to have a negative impact on that.

I really do hope Soy comes to his senses and accepts this challenge honorably. It's healthy for people to accept compromise and criticism, that's the only way you grow as a human being...

Edited by Repasy, 09 November 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#33 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

For those interested, there is actually a thread in Community Run Events for dueling:

http://mwomercs.com/...rested-players/

You can input your personal info and people can call you out for fun and bragging rights. There's nothing at stake. It's not a proper Zellbrigen, as I understand the concept, but it looks like fun!

@Repasy: Thanks for your comments about my vids! I don't do photoshop and such and really just use that channel to share with friends. Special stuff, like my Ace of Spades, I'll share on the forums here. Nice to know that there are some folks who do enjoy watching them! :)

#34 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

It's been a full week and still no activity from Soy. Does anyone know him personally who could confirm whether he's banned and/or taking a break, and how much longer I should expect to wait for his reply?

#35 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostRepasy, on 16 November 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

It's been a full week and still no activity from Soy. Does anyone know him personally who could confirm whether he's banned and/or taking a break, and how much longer I should expect to wait for his reply?

I haven't seen him online in well over a week. He's likely not playing MWO at the moment and he hasn't posted in two weeks.

Odds are he hasn't even seen this.

#36 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:06 PM

Apparently he was last active when I sent my last post... he has blocked me from communication so I have no way of knowing whether he has seen this challenge or not.

I am keeping this challenge open until Thursday, November 26th, 2015 @ 6:59 PM EST (23:59 GMT). If he does not respond by then, I consider his honour forfeit.

#37 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

Some things to consider:

#1. The rules you stated for zellbrigen are for TT not for MW. Weapons range movement & not firing when able for example does not work in a MW game.

#2. No response is exactly that. No response. It is neither acceptance nor refusal & cannot be treated as such either way.

#3. As this is a ToG you should set the map to random.

Edited by Jaroth Corbett, 20 November 2015 - 10:27 AM.

#38 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 20 November 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Some things to consider:

#1. The rules you stated for zellbrigen are for TT not for MW. Weapons range movement & not firing when able for example does not work in a MW game.

#2. No response is exactly that. No response. It is neither acceptance nor refusal & cannot be treated as such either way.

Thank you for your feedback, I always welcome other's feedback on my interpretation of Zellbrigen.
  • True, this is not a direct translation to tabletop, and so neither are my Zellbrigen rulings. In the case of rules section 5.v and 5.vi, I have included a note (section 5.iii). I will clarify on that clause: the interpretation of section 5.iv, 5.v, and 5.vi is meant to be deliberative. There are cases where the actions are easily forgiven, such as whether it was accidental, proved a tactical purpose, or (most importantly) was not intentionally dishonourable. Clan honour should be upheld at all times, and so excessively using terrain or distance to your advantage intentionally is deeply frowned upon, resulting in forfeit (section 5.ii). Failing to fire at an opponent (section 5.vi) is also dishonourable, whether it is as an act of mercy or as an act of ridicule (turning your back to a crippled enemy would probably be the worst display of honour and be subject to immediate forfeit and stripping of rank). In layman's terms, a true Clan Warrior will finish their prey with precision and haste, and the act of annihilating the enemy without hesitation is in of itself an act of honourable mercy. In MWO, it is difficult to judge where range barriers lie, and depending on the location of the COE line-of-sight obstructions may be impossible to avoid. For this reason, the best COE are open and flat areas that give a clear line-of-sight to your opponent.
  • Not responding indicates one of two possibilities: The challenged has chosen to refuse/ignore the challenge, or the challenged has not yet been notified of the challenge in the first place. In the latter case, I have been more than reasonable in awaiting a reply from Soy. I can confirm that he has been logged in on several occasions since after my challenge, however because he has blocked me from personal communication I am unable to confirm whether or not he has seen my challenge. I also have reason to believe that since he has blocked me that can be interpreted as a refusal of my terms. In this case, refusal of a call to Trial is a grave offence to our code of honour!! Due to the circumstances, it is in his best interest to respond to and accept my challenge, as any other action calls into question his honour and legitimacy as a Warrior of the Clans.
  • I understand your concerns in this regard. However, as I see it setting the map to random for a Trial increases the chances for either party to outcry the terms or the outcome of the Trial. My terms allow for both parties to define what they consider a proper location for dueling. Then, their peers choose the most worthy of those settings. This ensures that neither combatant can later question the setting as unfair, as the third party is neutral and chooses the most equal setting. In the case that both parties clearly abuse this bid for location, naturally the third party then has the right to ignore the choices and choose a different location for the Trial (whether that be decided unanimously or left to random selection). Most importantly, the intention of this process is to inform the combatants of the location before the Trial begins. There is nothing dishonourable in tailoring the loadout of your 'mech to suit the location. Moreover, this will prevent a combatant from disputing the balance of the Trial if they are running a hot 'mech on a hot map. Personally, I don't believe ANY parameters of the Trial should be left to chance. That does not reflect as a pure challenge of skill, and it is most likely to leave all those involved with a bad taste in their mouth when something goes amiss.

#39 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 20 November 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Not really. Choosing the location for the battle has more than enough historical precedent to entitle Repasy to such terms. Frankly, a duel is a duel.

It's a little more uncommon for the challenger to set terms than for the challenged; normally the challenged party gets to set terms. However, I don't know as much about the zellbrigen version of dueling, so perhaps that is more common for a challenger to set terms than for the challenged.

#40 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:42 PM

Soy's a douchefag. i remember him TKing me and a Lancemate for disagreeing with him while we were engaged with the enemy on Alpine Peaks.

guy deserves a permaban.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users