[Trial Of Grievance] Repasy Challenges Soy To Honourable Combat!

78 replies to this topic

#61 Grothaus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:45 AM

Move up to Tier 1, then reissue your challenge.

#62 Grothaus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostPat Kell, on 22 November 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

An ant challenging an elephant to trial by combat gives no dishonor to the elephant when it doesn't respond....in fact, it may be doing the ant a favor...which is certainly not dishonorable.

View PostRepasy, on 22 November 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

Wrong.

If a higher ranking officer refuses a challenge from a lower ranking one, that would certainly be a heavy blow to his honour, as it suggests fear of losing. Such weakness cannot be tolerated amongst the true Warriors of Kerensky.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with Soy's history of challenging other players for ownership of their accounts. Aside from the fact that this would go against the CoC, the fact that he has no hesitation to issue these sorts of challenges but will avoid mine suggests he is afraid of losing to me. This thought amuses me so.

Clan Honor pretty much mirrors other Honor systems from our past.

In reality, Honor is a social construct moreso then adherence to some sort of ethical chivalric code. In most militaristic honor based societies, theres still a class system of sorts, those who have higher social status possess more honor.

Take the American South for example (Im a Southerner myself), honor duels were fought between gentleman of equal status, a gentlemen not only wasnt expected to duel those of lower status/honor, but it was deemed dishonorable to verbally/physically engage with someone of lower honor/status, no matter what insults were involved.

You can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if every honorable gentleman had to defend himself against every insult.... not to mention lower class people would be constantly killing off those of higher status.... just doesnt work.

So.... according the norms of honor based dueling....

You should be a Tier 1 if you wish to challenge a Tier 1 to a duel.....

and you shouldnt expect Soy to respond to the challenge of someone from a lower Tier, there would be no honor to gain from accepting the challenge.

get to Tier 1, then issue your challenge again.

#63 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

View PostGrothaus, on 27 November 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

You should be a Tier 1 if you wish to challenge a Tier 1 to a duel.....

and you shouldnt expect Soy to respond to the challenge of someone from a lower Tier, there would be no honor to gain from accepting the challenge.

get to Tier 1, then issue your challenge again.

Lol, Tier 1 isn't a measure of skill or honor so much as it is a measure of play time. I have a guy in my Unit who got disco'd for most of the match and only was able to reconnect at the end just in time to see his team win the match. He died after not doing anything, and still had his PSR intact:

Posted Image

Claiming that being in Tier 1 makes you a better or more honorable pilot than other players is silly. It just means that you played more often than the rest of us. Skill only really impacts whether or not your PSR decreases on a loss. Play frequently enough, and it doesn't really matter if it goes down on a loss; your overall PSR is still migrating upwards. PGI even made an entire announcement with a breakdown of how PSR works to illustrate this.

It's also funny that you say that about Tiers challenging Tiers, because Soy challenged me to a duel and then backed out. If Tier 1s were so special, then he wouldn't have backed down from the fight much less have challenged me. Your argument is flawed.

Being in Tier 1 does not mean that you are an upper class player. It doesn't mean that you have more honor than someone in a lower Tier. It just means that you play this game more than anyone else while possessing decent levels of skill. If you make 500+ damage a match, which is pretty easy to do I might add, and score a few assists while you're at it, your PSR will go up. It's that simple. To claim that play-time makes for gentrification is ludicrous, especially when you consider that the challenged entity does not publicly comport itself in a gentlemanly or honorable fashion.

#64 Grothaus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:52 PM

well, i wont disagree with your assessment of the PSR/Tier system

But, what other way can we gauge a persons skill? the tier/PSR system maybe be very flawed, but, its the only indication of skill this game offers.

like i said, "Honor".... is a social construct, as far as MWO is concerned, a pilots honor should be tied in with their skill, and a good pilot isnt going to accept challenges from anyone and everyone who insults them

It seems to me, Soy has just dismissed Repasy as not worth his time. Whatever his reasoning,...

PGI should introduce an arena mode, with leaderboards, and a rating system like chess, or something similar.
Until then, its all just a big popularity contest, and if your not in a "respected" unit, and not an officer, etc... then your just a nobody amongst the popular kids.

Btw, my unit is just me "-CSA", and im just a nobody myself, but im pretty sure i could smoke the vast majority of the officers in good units... Soy sounds like big douchebag anyway, ive played in matches with him, seen a couple of his vids.... im not impressed.

anyway, like i said awhile back, hope you get your duel, but i wouldnt hold my breath

#65 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

View PostGrothaus, on 27 November 2015 - 07:52 PM, said:

well, i wont disagree with your assessment of the PSR/Tier system

But, what other way can we gauge a persons skill? the tier/PSR system maybe be very flawed, but, its the only indication of skill this game offers.

like i said, "Honor".... is a social construct, as far as MWO is concerned, a pilots honor should be tied in with their skill, and a good pilot isnt going to accept challenges from anyone and everyone who insults them

It seems to me, Soy has just dismissed Repasy as not worth his time. Whatever his reasoning,...

PGI should introduce an arena mode, with leaderboards, and a rating system like chess, or something similar.
Until then, its all just a big popularity contest, and if your not in a "respected" unit, and not an officer, etc... then your just a nobody amongst the popular kids.

Btw, my unit is just me "-CSA", and im just a nobody myself, but im pretty sure i could smoke the vast majority of the officers in good units... Soy sounds like big douchebag anyway, ive played in matches with him, seen a couple of his vids.... im not impressed.

anyway, like i said awhile back, hope you get your duel, but i wouldnt hold my breath

I think you and I are kindred spirits. :)

That being said, I agree and don't think Repasy will get his duel. My own encounter with Soy revealed that he's unwilling to duel, even as the challenger, unless he can set all of the terms himself and to his own advantage. Sans that, I don't expect him to dare face Repasy.

#66 Grothaus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 27 November 2015 - 04:07 PM, said:

To claim that play-time makes for gentrification is ludicrous, especially when you consider that the challenged entity does not publicly comport itself in a gentlemanly or honorable fashion.

I dont disagree, Soy is no gentleman, and in this sense of the word, honor, it doesnt appear Soy has any.

That being said, what honor is there in challenging such a dirtbag like him anyway, hes already proven himself a coward, best to just walk away. Besides, I think Repasy has made his point, and at the very least, Ive gained some respect for Repasy for calling him out, and even if this duel happened and Repasy lost, hes a more honorable pilot then Soy will ever be.

#67 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

A bounty system in game would so be worth it no?

#68 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

View PostOmaha, on 27 November 2015 - 08:30 PM, said:

A bounty system in game would so be worth it no?

Ironically, such a system was originally promised in the launch video. I think it's another such promise that fell by the wayside.

#69 Moment Killer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

I'll 1v1 you next time I'm on. Not sure I've done this before. Could be fun? If you want me to grievance you first, it's something I'm capable of.

#70 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

Repasy, could I face you once I have my Marauder? After the first December? Just for the fun of it. :3

#71 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:45 AM

"Want me to grievance you first, it's something I'm capable of" LOL that's too good man, nice.

#72 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:01 AM

View PostPat Kell, on 28 November 2015 - 12:45 AM, said:

"Want me to grievance you first, it's something I'm capable of" LOL that's too good man, nice.

"I'm going to grievance you so hard you won't even dare to grievance me back!" :P

#73 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

There's actually a thread over in the Community Run Events Subforum specifically for 1v1s. You can challenge people who have listed themselves in it. There's quite a few people, actually.

#74 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 27 November 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

Ironically, such a system was originally promised in the launch video. I think it's another such promise that fell by the wayside.

Yes, one aspect of CW that fell short.

View PostKuroNyra, on 28 November 2015 - 04:01 AM, said:

"I'm going to grievance you so hard you won't even dare to grievance me back!" :P

Trial of Butt-Hurt!

#75 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostMoment Killer, on 27 November 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:

I'll 1v1 you next time I'm on. Not sure I've done this before. Could be fun? If you want me to grievance you first, it's something I'm capable of.

View PostKuroNyra, on 27 November 2015 - 10:50 PM, said:

Repasy, could I face you once I have my Marauder? After the first December? Just for the fun of it. :3

I'm definitely available to 1v1 with both of ya, feel free to contact me in-game or PM me if you want to set up a time. No need to grievance me, lol.

:) Looking forward to taking on a Marauder 1v1. I didn't purchase it, but I'm looking forward to seeing it in-game on Tuesday.

#76 W i L d F i R 3

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostRepasy, on 16 November 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

It's been a full week and still no activity from Soy. Does anyone know him personally who could confirm whether he's banned and/or taking a break, and how much longer I should expect to wait for his reply?

Dude, Soy has been banned for a minute. He does know about this post now. Thanks for LOLZ.

He must have really pissed in your Cherios, then gave you a good ole

LORD SOY
ggclose

#77 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

Wow, Repasy must feel like an idiot! ROFLMAO!

#78 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:23 PM

View PostLucy Lui, on 29 December 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

Dude, Soy has been banned for a minute. He does know about this post now. Thanks for LOLZ.

LORD SOY
ggclose

Holy Necro, Batman!

#79 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:28 AM

View PostLucy Lui, on 29 December 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

LORD SOY
ggclose

I don't really care if he was banned for a minute, it's been months. If he's finally grown a pair and wants to fight, as far as I'm concerned this call to Trial has expired. Soy is of no interest to me anymore.

Thank YOU for the lolz. I had completely forgotten about this thread, but your necro has given me a good laugh. ha. ha. ha.

View PostJaroth Corbett, on 29 December 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

Wow, Repasy must feel like an idiot! ROFLMAO!

Posted Image I actually feel pretty great, thanx for axeing JC.

gg sirs

EDIT:

On THAT note, is anybody up for some friendly sparring this weekend? I've been itching for some action all winter break, but didn't have access to internets haha!

Edited by Repasy, 11 January 2016 - 05:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users