16 replies to this topic

#1 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

Inspired by the 2 ERPPC Shadowcats I have observed running around causing havoc, I am trying to build something that is an IS equivalent. Thus, I would like to build an IS mech that can fire 2 ERPPCS (one right after another) for decent stretches of time and without over heating while having the mobility to keep me alive long enough to do some good...like these Shadowcats.

So minimum requirements: has to be fairly speedy (say at least 80KPH). Sports 2 (or more) ERPPCs, and has the best heat efficiency possible for rapid/long term rate of fire. Secondary preference is to also include jumpjets.

Best I have been able to come up with is a 1.4-ish heat efficiency. I can get to 1.5 but I drop below my desired speed.

I've tried Cicada's, BlackJacks, Griffins, Quickdraws, Jaggers, Thunderbolts, Grasshoppers, Zeus and Battlemasters (the latter with huge XL engines to get close to the speed I want).

I am currently favoring the Cicada build as it exceeds the speed criteria so much (106) but not heat efficient enough on anything but the cold maps (which at the moment is not a problem). I've smurfyd the BJ (don't have the PPC quirked chassis) and it looks like its the closest I will get but frankly it doesn't look much better than the Cicada. The rest just seem to add tonnage and reduce speed without much gain in efficiency, even with quirks.

Yes I know PPCs and ERPPCs are less than ideal. Yes I know their hit reg is goofy. Nevertheless I like em (especially the sound) and want to find a build that lets me shoot em for as long as possible.

Ideas?

#2 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

AWS-9M

quirked for er-ppc, +25% range, +25% velocity, -25% heatgen (for er-ppc), -15% cooldown.

Or try a AWS-8Q for regular ppcs.

#3 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:46 PM

SHD-2K with 2xER-PPC, XL-300 and 20 DHS, gets 1.5 heat management and goes 97.2 km/h with speed tweak. I threw in 1 JJ.

Has nice high mounts, and slight quirks too (+10% speed, -7.5 % heat), until the rebalance anyway.

Edit: That's to maximise for your requirements, speed/heat management. I think more ideally I'd take out a few DHS, to free space for adding Endo, and then use that tonnage for a bigger engine, more JJ and/or more weapons.

Edited by jss78, 13 November 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#4 Xbwalker

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 89 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSanta Maria CA

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

Trolololo Boar's Head with 4 ER PPC and max engine - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...08fc65dfb13810b

Zeus with (shudder) XL engine, 3 PPC, and an ERL. This one is probably a lot more sexy since it has ridiculous speed for an IS Assault. Hell, for any assault. It also gets a nice bonus to PPC range + energy weapon range and additional armor. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...17393ca80cc34d1

That Zeus variant would be GREAT to see on the battlefield. I would love to see a zeus trotting by at 86.9 km/h.

Mind you, no IS mech is going to have good heat management with ppc spam. On the upside, giant engines can house lots of heat sinks so at least you can manage your fire and take a monstrous beating with the assaults.

Edited by Xbwalker, 13 November 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#5 Nacho Cat

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

I don't typically run builds with multiple ppcs (and I'm certainly not very good with them) but I do like the BJ-3 build. You can swap out the erppcs for regular ppcs to take advantage of quirks and better heat management.

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

Cicadas are probably the best platform for the playstyle, but you are right, it does run hot.
CDA-3C This one is quirked for ER PPC's but only has one energy hardpoint.

TDR-9S Probably the best ERPPC platform in the game but its not going to have the speed you are looking for.

PNT-10K Fast and quirked but its gonna run hot for sure.

GRF-2N Fast, quirked, JJ's, pretty heat efficient. This one could work really well if you are comfortable with all your firepower in one arm. You can do the same build on the 3M swapping a PPC to a side torso if you wanted.

All these examples have quirks, but you can run two ER PPCs on just about any medium you want to if you become comfortable with the heat dissipation and hardpoint position of the build.

Edited by Roughneck45, 15 November 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#7 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

Have you driven a Shadowcat? The 2x ER-PPC builds are hot as ****. You basically have two options: one and two. Heat efficiency on both is terrible. Using 2x LPL on the SHC is way more effective in nearly every kind of engagement.

I suspect that what you're going to find is that most of the IS builds that have been proposed are also unsatisfyingly hot.

#8 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:44 PM

Instead of doing that, why not go for a 2x normal PPC RVN-4X? You can run fast, poke hard, and the range quirks are strong enough to make it be more or less the same as an ERPPC.

#9 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 13 November 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

Ideas?

The reward Cicada can jumpsnipe with 2ERPPC/PPC, if you qualified. Runs kinda hot though.

You will likely be looking at the Awesome, or for Clans, A good ERPPC boat is the Warhawk prime. 4ERPPC and 9000 DHS.

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

Roughneck45: I run or have tried all of those builds. Thanks for the ideas though.

To those suggesting the loyalty Cicada, that is the 2 ERppc build I mentioned in my OP.

Xbwalker: I am running a Zeus with 3 ERppc and as many double HS as I can fit in the chassis and am liking the build but still heat is a problem. I will give your 390XL a shot (as soon as I save up the c-bills for the engine).

Loaded: Thought of the Awesome but am really hesitant to invest in such an XL unfriendly mech since XL is what I need to get the speed up there.

To all thanks for the suggestions!

#11 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:41 PM

The BJ-3 should be meeting all your requirements.

Goes 81kph pre- speed tweak.
Carries 2 (er)PPC, I put them in the same arm for better convergence.
Have 2 backup ML for when you run hot.
15 DHS to keep the mech frosty (about 7 shots in chain fire or 3 group fire before shutdown)
2 JJ, enough to lift you above most mech and small hill to poptart.
2 point shy of max amour.

Bonus:
High mounted weapon point
small mech profile
low target priority on battlefield

Edited by xengk, 15 November 2015 - 11:42 PM.

#12 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

I've tried kitting out the 9S Thunderbolt with 3 PPCs but found it too hot. I'm sure dropping down to 2 would improve heat efficiency, but I can't help but feel like it would leave it slightly under-powered.

#13 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:30 PM

No ones suggested hunchbacks yet?
HBK-4J
Energy heat gen and range quirks (15% each) and high mounts for the ppcs EDIT: OK never mind, just got home and into the mech lab, the high mounts are only for the missiles on this variant. Could try it on the HBK-4P which does have high energy mounts if you can tolerate 5% less bonuses from quirks. Can strip half a tonne of armour from the arms for a back up small laser in the head too

Edited by FreebirthToad18999, 17 November 2015 - 11:31 PM.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:04 AM

xengk: Agreed. BJ-3 is the closest I have gotten to my requirements (at least on paper). It isn't as fast or jumpy as the Cicada build but it does appear to be a bit better heat-wise. I don't have the BJ-3 yet (waiting for assumed mech sale after Steam release) but will try it out as soon as I have one.

Husker Dude: I run my T-bolt S with 2 ERPPCs and three small pulses. The rest of the weight savings goes into a heat sink, a Beagle and AMS. It is an especially good CW mech on Boreal as well as the other maps with decent site lines. Must have trigger discipline when in brawl range though (even on Boreal).

FreebirthToad18999: Never thought of a Hunchback. Thanks. Will give it a shot.

GamerGirlGundam: I will take a look at the K2 on the test server. Thanks for the suggestion.

#15 Mamonar

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

Cicada-3F
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...034429c3d634181
Griffin Hero mech - Sparky
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2f9adcaa0ba6ab9
Shadowhawk-2K
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e1d6cc663662310

but Thunderbolt-9S is the obvious option
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cfb33b15bd59ba5

Edited by Mamonar, 18 November 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#16 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:04 AM

Sadly, the best IS ERPPC platform is the Cicada-3C. You can spam that 1 canon almost indefinitely* without overheating.
I recommend XL255+UAC5+ERPPC for a nice blend of speed and DPS.

CDA-3C UAC5 ERPPC XL255

/*indefinitely = 48,9 seconds to overheat when using ERPPC cooldown module

#17 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:27 AM

Yeah, the Shadow Cat with 2xERPPCs is INCREDIBLY hot, any even somewhat viable IS ERPPC boat will run far cooler due to quirks. I do love the Shadow Cat though, for the unique combination of 2xERPPC, JJs, ECM and MASC.

Use a BJ-3 for a similar effect IS side, though with no ECM. PPCs are better than ERPPCs, and it has good quirks and can jump. Add 4xSL to cover the PPC min range issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users