Petition To Remove "a Battletech Game" From Title.

364 replies to this topic

#41 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:28 AM

You know. I use to be such a white Knight I think I blinded people. I was one of a few voices in the mwll community who kept saying this game was going to be great. I always told people in CGBI to just wait, the game will get better in a year they just need to keep developing it... I have been seeing all my old FB posts due to their memories thing... How I touted that this game was going to be amazing.

You know, it is not that the Clans feels jipped our Clan Mechs are not over powered, it is the fact we shelled out more money for Mechs that are being balanced... I have ran that in to the ground, so f that conversation. Inner sphere fan boys and girls have nothing to worry about. They have their lances and their culture which is like our modern day... A lot of the Clan loyalists like the clan lore. We were hyped because this was the first game since MW2 that was having Clans as a playable faction. Everything since mech2 was from the inner sphere side. I have been with this game since it was announced, I white Knight like crazy up until maybe a year ago.

Problem with us Clan loyalists is we do not feel like playing a Clan faction is any different than playing an inner sphere faction. Pgi could have balanced things in different ways. Honor pool to buy new Mechs or even unlock them, they could have been the advanced game mechanics. We figured we would see something different... We still run lances... Not points or stars... Hell they could have given us 3 stars of 4 points to balance the lances... Took a freaking name change on the UI. I am still running lances. We are pissed that there is no Battletech aside from some aesthetics and some names of things. Mechassault was more of a Battletech game vs mwo. Problem is the inner sphere has a bigger population, so they get catered to.

Everyone just chalks it all up to some Clan guy whining... I aside from some complacent Clans loyalists, people just sat on their thumbs and took pgi belittling the aspect of Battletech that drew in so many fans... The lore.

Problem is they could have tried various avenues but instead they made Clans minimal viable product, with minimal viable effort. There were so many different well thought out ideas since Oct 31st when the forums launched in 2011, during beta and before the Clans came out. Pgi just said screw them all and went with the easiest course. Let us make two factions that are balanced in a multitude of different methods... But let us all forget that.

I use to play MechWarrior daily for hours, now because of the state of the game I maybe play once a week. I have too many Clan mates that got frustrated with the game and left.

Innner sphere and mercs do not need to worry their the ones pgi worries about.

I expected and bought in to what I was thinking would be a game based on Battletech. Where two factions that each have their own flavour were pitted against each other and themselves internally... Instead we get a first person shooter with robots that allows you to take a couple hits vs most fps where you die instantly.

The part that upset me the most is Russ does not even seem to give a care that the loyalists of the Clans have left, leaving a number of complacent Clan loyalists who enjoy the bending over the knew pgi gives us.

There is not a shred of any sense of a Clan honour system... Which is the core component of the Clans themselves... Yeah maybe 10v12 is not possible now, because it was never tried. I would love to hear how and when pgi attempted a system where Clan Warriors earned points via skills, line combat, etc. 10v12 with proper Clan stats could have been done. Half the claiming system is there with the triangle identification above Mechs. Clans could have been advanced, made it so you needed to play mwo a bit and understand the game to become Clan... As they were to be elite pilots. Instead pgi went with the money and easier minimal viable product.

But what do I know, I am just a complaint power hungry meta player who only wants op Mechs... Nothing to do with having Clans be different... Nope.

There is no Battletech. Mechassault had more Battletech. This is a shooter with battletech inspired names and designs... Tabletop rules do not apply, I agree, but they could have tried harder... Again... Why am I a CGB loyalist and I am put in to lances? Rename them stars and it at least looks like you are trying. Clans have bid equal forces of 3 stars with a point removed. Means nothing to a uneducated in Battletech person, but looks like they tried to a Clans fan...

Not even sure why I typed this drivel, no one cares. Pgi is doing good, no problems here, inner sphere is catered too. Not like as a Clan player we have spent more or nothing...

#42 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:36 AM

View PostDracol, on 17 November 2015 - 04:19 AM, said:

You call yourself a clanner? You start this petition now, over stat changes???? Where was your call to change the name when CW came out and clanners were able to attack clanners?

You true colors are showing. You care only for the lore based clan advantage and care nothing for the lore.

Umm we did complain. In phase 1 all the major Clan loyalists had tried to get alliances and coalitions going.. Mercs kept ******* it up, because again, mercs playing for Clans make sense in the lore... What happened to the clan loyalist, you know the icon they made before CW launch, the clan faction that was going to be Clans 'mercs'? Pgi main core audience of mercs were again catered too. **** the clan faction, we have some who want to play both Mechs types, well mercs can switch between factions right? Lore is fine with Clans hiring mercs, right? I am sorry you want to play both teams Mechs go pug, you want to play a CW game, go Clan or inner sphere, play pure tech, enjoy the game.. Instead they gave mercs the freedom to **** the game over how ever they wanted... And they did and ruined it for most other people. After Tukayyid CGBI had always struggled to get people to play CW, as it is riddled with the real power creep, has no lore in it and was and still is the exact same crap every game. People go the same routes, bring the same Mechs... Yes so much fun.

#43 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:38 AM

Posted Image

#44 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:38 AM

Oh, and also anytime a Clan loyalist starts ranting the inner sphere thugs come in to complain about us... So why should we bother starting these threads anymore. We know pgi will not listen and Russ does not give a care about Clan loyalist. Look at the Clans section in here, compare it to a year ago before the CW flop...

#45 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:40 AM

View PostGyrok, on 16 November 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

I would like to start a petition to have "A BattleTech Game" removed from the title of MechWarrior Online.

It's a Battletech game.

Get over it, and get over yourself

After having spent over $2k on this game, I am legitimately considering cancelling all my outstanding pre-orders at this point and dropping MWO completely...which is sad because I really never thought the day would come a diehard grognard like me would ever give in...but...this may be the last straw...

I would legitimately consider asking you why you've spent so much money on a game that you are clearly deeply unhappy with

#46 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:49 AM

Personally for me setting the timeline straight in the clan invasion in a multiplayer game as not a good idea knowing full well Clan forces at this time were going to be better in every regard, then attempt to nerf or balance them. Instead I believe they should of either opted for either pre clan or around 3067 the same time as MWLL where IS forces began to develop its own unique weapons to combat clan forces it would give them a edge an some unique systems that the clans don't have. Also bringing in some restrictions to the mech lab could help a lot with balance... but since I took my Atlas to the furthest planet on the edge of known space and parked in a hanger I chose to stop playing the game as it just did not feel like a mechwarrior for me and return to MWLL. Perhaps the future holds something better who knows. Just my 2 cents from a very dedicated and friendly neighborhood Atlas pilot.

#47 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:37 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 17 November 2015 - 04:36 AM, said:

Umm we did complain. In phase 1 all the major Clan loyalists had tried to get alliances and coalitions going.. Mercs kept ******* it up, because again, mercs playing for Clans make sense in the lore... What happened to the clan loyalist, you know the icon they made before CW launch, the clan0 faction that was going to be Clans 'mercs'? Pgi main core audience of mercs were again catered too. **** the clan faction, we have some who want to play both Mechs types, well mercs can switch between factions right? Lore is fine with Clans hiring mercs, right? I am sorry you want to play both teams Mechs go pug, you want to play a CW game, go Clan or inner sphere, play pure tech, enjoy the game.. Instead they gave mercs the freedom to **** the game over how ever they wanted... And they did and ruined it for most other people. After Tukayyid CGBI had always struggled to get people to play CW, as it is riddled with the real power creep, has no lore in it and was and still is the exact same crap every game. People go the same routes, bring the same Mechs... Yes so much fun.

Differance between now and then:
Then - Gyrok called for change in the system (what we r getting in Cw phase 3 by the way)
Now - Gyrok is calling the game none battletexh cauze the clan tech is nerfed to is levels

Clan v clan didnt cause him to want to quit. Clan tech on par with IS tech has. Therefore, it appears he cares more for clan advantage over clan lore.

#48 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostRaggedyman, on 17 November 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

It's a Battletech game.

Get over it, and get over yourself

I would legitimately consider asking you why you've spent so much money on a game that you are clearly deeply unhappy with

This is most certainly NOT a BT game.

This is a game that has mechs from BT to make a ****** arena shooter with generic robots and no lore.

I was not always unhappy with the game...however...wave 3 was the last wave I am going to be receiving.

#49 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:52 AM

View PostMystere, on 16 November 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

Who is paying for the refund of all Clan Mechs bought and paid for, you?

DireWolf = IMP
Executioner = Cyclops
Warhawk = Crocket
Gargoyle = Charger
TimberWolf = Thug
Summoner = Flashman
Hellbringer = Exterminator
Ebon Jaguar = Lancelot
MadDog = Champion
StormCrow = Hoplite
Nova = Gladiator
ShadowCat = Wyvern
Ice Ferret = Sentinel
Adder = Talon
Arctic Cheeta = Hussar
Kit Fox = Hermes
Koshi = Monngoose

or similar :-)

#50 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 16 November 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Ok, so let's assume they replace all the names and assets and call it like you suggest.

Why would it make you happier? Would you like the game better if the names were different?

And if you don't like the game and stop playing it, then what difference does it make to you what name it has?

Because then the IP would hopefully be available for someone to actually make a REAL BT game. This ******** developer with no ******* clue would finally have their claws off of the IP so someone who is not ******* clueless could actually do the BT universe justice.

EDIT: I know BT is coming from HBS, but that is turn based...it is not a Mechwarrior game.

Edited by Gyrok, 17 November 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#51 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

Can we not just advance the timeline to bring about IS tech that is actually equivalent to the Clan Tech out now?

3055-3060 would get you there...

If you think IS tech was equal to Clan tech during 3055-3060, then I got this snake oil to sell to ya. Clans will always have tech advantage, even on 3060. So stop day dreaming.

#52 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:16 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 November 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

If you think IS tech was equal to Clan tech during 3055-3060, then I got this snake oil to sell to ya. Clans will always have tech advantage, even on 3060. So stop day dreaming.

hm.... so 3067... Heavy Gauss, Light Gauss, MRMs (40s :D) Light Engines, HPPCs, LPPCs, Variable Speed Pulse Laser, Rotary ACs, Reflective Armor, Reaktive Armor, Hardened Armor, Small Cockpits, XL Gyro;
vs
Heavy Lasers, ATM, Hyper Assault Gauss

Well ok - lets do it

#53 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:18 AM

Advancing the timeline is a mixed bag. Sure the Inner Sphere gets LFE, streak 6, Ultra-20, ERML, but Clans also potentially get Heavy Lasers & more too.

Balance has been pretty much been a never ending process but after wave 1 it became game breaking. The power gap was so big that quirks ended up pretty being big and even then the underlying issues persist. Then there is the overquirking.

Speaking of how much you claimed to spend, what is forcing their hand on re-balance are the IIC non-omni pre-orders. They are essentially IS mechs w/ Clan upgrades and weapons, a 3rd tech base of sorts. Maybe the Highlander or Orion arn't all that but they have clan weapons and there are other non-omnis on the way for us to buy i'm sure.

So the need to release more mech content is basically what has brought you to this point and your decision to not add to the 2k+ spent.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 17 November 2015 - 06:24 AM.

#54 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:19 AM

I would like to start a petition to have "A BattleTech Game" removed from the title of MechWarrior Online.

Frankly, I would also like to see the game renamed to "generic robot arena shooter from PGI"...however...I doubt that will fly.

At least we can bring the truth out, and hopefully they remove the association to BT from the title.

With the changes that are coming to this game, this is no longer "A BattleTech Game"

There are myriad ways to accomplish "different but equal"...all we are getting here is "reskinned but equal".

What happens when T3/T4 IS tech comes and completely flattens the T3/T4 clan tech out now because nerfed into freaking oblivion?

Can we not just advance the timeline to bring about IS tech that is actually equivalent to the Clan Tech out now?

3055-3060 would get you there...

After having spent over $2k on this game, I am legitimately considering cancelling all my outstanding pre-orders at this point and dropping MWO completely...which is sad because I really never thought the day would come a diehard grognard like me would ever give in...but...this may be the last straw...

if you spent over $2k on this game, they must've done *something* right...

also, nobody cares.

#55 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:38 AM

View PostcSand, on 16 November 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

Blasphemy!

Unless it follows the TT rulebooks to the word it is UNACCEPTABLE!!! It can't be mechwarrior until all hits are dice rolls and 10 v 12 and you need to read a 100 page user manual to understand the mechanics! And also pass a 4 page written history test on the BT universe so you can know the lore!!! MRAAAA

*neckbeard grows larger*

I know the sarcasm is strong here, but I do think it needs to go more sim like, and less twitch like. I'd like to see a random hit function, I mean we do have a targeting circle, so our shouts could realistically land anywhere in that circle. If you can get an entire component under that circle, then you could dump all your damage to that component, letting people keep their pin-point accuracy, by getting close.

#56 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:41 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 17 November 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

hm.... so 3067... Heavy Gauss, Light Gauss, MRMs (40s :D) Light Engines, HPPCs, LPPCs, Variable Speed Pulse Laser, Rotary ACs, Reflective Armor, Reaktive Armor, Hardened Armor, Small Cockpits, XL Gyro;
vs
Heavy Lasers, ATM, Hyper Assault Gauss

Well ok - lets do it

PGI couldn't even balance the meager selection of weapons before the Clan invasion hit. I really doubt they can balance the 3067 tech right away. It is gonna be a nightmare for them. Paul preferably should not be doing the balancing by then.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 November 2015 - 06:44 AM.

#57 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 November 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

PGI, couldn't even balance the meager selection of weapons before the Clan invasion hit. I really doubt they can balance the 3067 tech right away. It is gonna be a nightmare for them.

Well if you give the player the choice it will balance on its own.
Think about PPCs vs Blue Shield
Think about Lasers vs Reflective
LRM, ACs vs Reaktive Armor
player choose on their own if they want to have better defense vs thing A;B;C

although the more it think about it..... with the FLD pinpoint problematic - its Light PPC vs all targets but those that have reflective armor and Blue Shield systems.

And of course the Gauss is the winner in every battle again

#58 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:59 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 17 November 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

So why should we bother starting these threads anymore.

You shouldn't, these threads serve no purpose besides trolling and shitposting.

There is a good reason PGI ignores the GD forums, it's 90% useless nerdrage.

#59 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:03 AM

Problem is, you people spend over 2k on a game and think of it as an investment. You don't own stock in the company let alone have personal control over the direction it takes. Everyone thinks they are a damn publisher just because they initially back and support a F2P game. It's pathetic.

#60 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

Well .. in my opinion, whether you like it or not ... MWO is still a Battletech game and unless they change it to a huge degree it will always be a "Battletech" game.

Why?

1) All the mechs/weapons are taken from the Battletech lore. The iconic mechs are even generally recognizable though different from some of the previous incarnations.

2) The names of weapons.

3) The concepts of heat, missile/ballistic/energy weapon types. The weight/crit slots/ and in many cases even damage are STILL taken from the Battletech values even though that doesn't make any real sense in a real time first person aimed shooting game which does not have a 10 second game turn.

There is a ridiculous amount of detail within MWO that is directly taken from Battletech ... they would have to change a lot more than the few things you are complaining about for it not to be a Battletech game.

Clan vs IS balance is one of the key elements that MWO must try to address. They want clan vs IS to be fun in both CW where clan and IS mechs are separated and in the general play queues where you can take what you want. This requirement means that you can't have the clan weapons be as vastly overpowered as they are in table top. Changing that balance does not in any way make this "NOT" a battletech game.

If you want a 3rd person, turn based, lance or company level, random aiming, implementation of table top then your don't have to go any farther than the Hare Brained Schemes kickstarter for Battletech. However, their game, which I hope will be awesome ... will never be a first person mechwarrior experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users