Founders Mech and Variants

18 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Rod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

Hi there,

got some questions in my head since a few days.

Founders Mechs are one of several "Variants".

Lets assume i play them 24/7 , get my mechxp (do i?), be happy to play the game...

1. Do i unlock the "next" variant with them (heard a rumor somewhere in the forums)?
2. Do i need to buy the new variant and so, let the founders mech stay in the garage?
3. If no, Can i "upgrade" my founders mech to a new variant or do i "simply" change it through a button?

i would be happy for some answers!

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

As far as I understand the variants for each chassis are available right from the start.

#3 Hot Rod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

hm do u have a source for that? i thought i unlock them through playing the "basic" chassis. :/

#4 Tezkat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

Evidence so far points to new variants being a simple purchase. Each has its own branch of the chassis XP tree. And no, you can't ever perform chassis alterations on your Founders mech, although you're free to mod it to your heart's content within the constraints of its hardpoints.

#5 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

This Devblog should enlighten you. :)

The only thing you unlock with XP are the 'Mech Efficiencies, and if you unlock enough of those you get pilot points to spend on your pilot skill tree.

For everything else, there's ComStar Card™.

#6 Aron

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCologne

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

Mech lab video shows that several variants are available from the start, however this might not be final.

My best guess would be that you do not have to unlock the variants by farming xp on the "base" chassis.

Unfortunately you will not be able to modify the hardpoints, so upgrade the 2*LRM15 Cata to the 2*PPC model.

But keep in mind nothing official has been announced yet, just guessing!

#7 Hot Rod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Thx Guys!

it seems I was on the wrong track ^^

u need to play the diffrent chassis in order to unlock the next level of the battle efficiencies, not the other way around.

ok this cleared all my questions, in fact erases them.

thx a lot!

#8 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

Like Tezkat said, I think each Founders Mech is just one chassis variant. It should be the optimal chassis loadout for it's type (ex: a Founders Catapult would be the prime setup for a Catapult). Technically you can build a regular Mech to be a copy of the Founders Mech from a technicals standpoint (weapons, heat sinks, etc...).

The nice bonuses that come with the Founders Mechs are that...
A: 25% C-Bill Bonus (earn cash a bit faster)
B: Doesn't take up one of the 4 slots in your MechBay (has it's own slot)
C: I don't know 100%, but I am pretty sure the Founders Mech has a unique camo scheme.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 11 July 2012 - 05:48 AM.

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

The big question is, do we get to take the bonuses with us to further variants. My founder mech is the Catapult. This is the CP-C1, the prime variant. If I buy a Catapult K2 will it retain the founder's mech cosmetic enhancements(new cockpit exterior, special paintjob), will it retain the monetary enhancements?

I would certainly prefer the Founder's pack special attributes to carry over to other, non-prime variants of the same mech.

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 11 July 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

The big question is, do we get to take the bonuses with us to further variants. My founder mech is the Catapult. This is the CP-C1, the prime variant. If I buy a Catapult K2 will it retain the founder's mech cosmetic enhancements(new cockpit exterior, special paintjob), will it retain the monetary enhancements?

I would certainly prefer the Founder's pack special attributes to carry over to other, non-prime variants of the same mech.

I'm pretty sure none of the Founders Mech attributes carry over to other variants of the same Mech. Any bonuses are tied to that one Mech and that one Mech only.

I still don't think that is a problem though. Even if you prefer a different variant, the Founder Mech is a good way to "grind" more C-bills to continue modifying your other Mechs.

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 11 July 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure none of the Founders Mech attributes carry over to other variants of the same Mech. Any bonuses are tied to that one Mech and that one Mech only.

I still don't think that is a problem though. Even if you prefer a different variant, the Founder Mech is a good way to "grind" more C-bills to continue modifying your other Mechs.

not a problem, per se, but I would definitely prefer the attributes to carry over to other variants. I do not expect that they will.

I deliberated long and hard before being able to choose my elite pack founder mech. The prime variant catapult offers the most versatility of the different prime versions, since it can be equipped with LRMs for long-range harrassment or SRM for short range assault, plus a complement of lasers plus jump jets.

Obviously other mechs can make similar trade-odds, the Hunchback can bring it's default AC-20 or trade it for a Gauss rifle, but the Catapult won my choice ;)

#12 Graewulf

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Founder's mechs should get their bonuses regardless of the variant. The bonuses should be given to the chassis, not the variant. I don't know if that's the case, but that makes more sense to me. Also, does each variant of the same chassis take up a garage slot? If that's the case, that would be pretty stupid, considering when we make a variant, we're not buying an entirely new chassis, just swapping some parts around. I would think if my Hunchback is in garage slot 1, I would click on that slot and then choose the variant(s) I have available to me (that I have bought the parts for and saved in the mechlab) and could swap between variants as needed.

#13 Hot Rod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostGraewulf, on 11 July 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Also, does each variant of the same chassis take up a garage slot? If that's the case, that would be pretty stupid, considering when we make a variant, we're not buying an entirely new chassis, just swapping some parts around. I would think if my Hunchback is in garage slot 1, I would click on that slot and then choose the variant(s) I have available to me (that I have bought the parts for and saved in the mechlab) and could swap between variants as needed.

good question tho.. 4 slots available. (+more if u buy some)

edit: thats not an answer, just picking up the question

Edited by Hot Rod, 11 July 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#14 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostGraewulf, on 11 July 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Founder's mechs should get their bonuses regardless of the variant. The bonuses should be given to the chassis, not the variant. I don't know if that's the case, but that makes more sense to me. Also, does each variant of the same chassis take up a garage slot? If that's the case, that would be pretty stupid, considering when we make a variant, we're not buying an entirely new chassis, just swapping some parts around. I would think if my Hunchback is in garage slot 1, I would click on that slot and then choose the variant(s) I have available to me (that I have bought the parts for and saved in the mechlab) and could swap between variants as needed.

Yes you are buying an entirely new chasses. Variants are not just something like skins that you change on the press of a button. Variants are also not designs you make in the Mechlab. Variants are unique 'Mechs that just happen to be based on the same base chassis.

When you have a CPLT-C1, it is a 'Mech you own, based on the Hollis Mark II chassis. When you then buy a CPLT-K2, it is a new, individual 'Mech that you add to your garage, which also happens to be based on the Hollis Mark II chassis. But, it has absolutely nothing to do with your CPLT-C1, other than contributing to (a different, independent branch of) the same talent tree. It can be configured independently, and none of the equipment mounted to it is shared (you need two copies of that AMS if you want to install it to both 'Mechs). It will have its own physical model that looks different from the other variants, and can be given an individual paint job that is in no way related to the other variants' paint jobs (unless you want it to be).

If there was a 'Mech you could buy 10 different variants for, then you would have 10 different, unique 'Mechs in your garage, all of which had almost nothing to do with each other.

Edited by Der Zivilist, 11 July 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#15 Graewulf

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostDer Zivilist, on 11 July 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Yes you are buying an entirely new chasses. Variants are not just something like skins that you change on the press of a button. Variants are also not designs you make in the Mechlab. Variants are unique 'Mechs that just happen to be based on the same base chassis.

When you have a CPLT-C1, it is a 'Mech you own, based on the Hollis Mark II chassis. When you then buy a CPLT-K2, it is a new, individual 'Mech that you add to your garage, which also happens to be based on the Hollis Mark II chassis. But, it has absolutely nothing to do with your CPLT-C1, other than contributing to (a different, independent branch of) the same talent tree. It can be configured independently, and none of the equipment mounted to it is shared (you need two copies of that AMS if you want to install it to both 'Mechs). It will have its own physical model that looks different from the other variants, and can be given an individual paint job that is in no way related to the other variants' paint jobs (unless you want it to be).

If there was a 'Mech you could buy 10 different variants for, then you would have 10 different, unique 'Mechs in your garage, all of which had almost nothing to do with each other.

That might work for variants with different hardpoints, but it shouldn't affect a mech modded in the mechlab using the same hardpoints. For example, let's say I want to swap out the AC20 out of my Hunchback for an LB10x AC, upgrade the small laser to a medium laser, and maybe add 2 more medium lasers. You're saying I'd have to buy an entirely new chassis and waste a garage slot to do this? That would be asinine. I should only have to buy the new parts and put them on (keeping the old parts as spare parts to configure my Hunchback back to 'stock', use on another mech, or sell them).

#16 Mandalore82

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOutReach

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Which varients are they starting us with for founders. I got afrind who is getting a elite package but does not know what varient to pick. As for instance I know there are varients of the hunch back with out the big ac20 on the shouder.

#17 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostGraewulf, on 11 July 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

That might work for variants with different hardpoints, but it shouldn't affect a mech modded in the mechlab using the same hardpoints. For example, let's say I want to swap out the AC20 out of my Hunchback for an LB10x AC, upgrade the small laser to a medium laser, and maybe add 2 more medium lasers. You're saying I'd have to buy an entirely new chassis and waste a garage slot to do this? That would be asinine. I should only have to buy the new parts and put them on (keeping the old parts as spare parts to configure my Hunchback back to 'stock', use on another mech, or sell them).

No, he's saying if you have a C1 and a K2, they take up two garage slots. You can change either of them around within the limits of the mechlab and your available C-bills, to your heart's content, without buying new mechs.

#18 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostMandalore82, on 11 July 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Which varients are they starting us with for founders. I got afrind who is getting a elite package but does not know what varient to pick. As for instance I know there are varients of the hunch back with out the big ac20 on the shouder.

Reading this would have alleviated the need for this thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...qa-compilation/

#19 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

From what I have seen/read nearly all variants will be available. I do not believe you unlock the variants and would have to buy an additional mech for such a thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users