#21 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:58 AM

View PostMuddy Funster, on 23 November 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

It is comments like this which put people off from trying it. If I'd known it was as much fun as it is I would have put more effort into building my drop deck and buying the extra modules quicker rather than just buying more mechs to skill up.

Now I've tried it I can ignore these comments and think of them as what they are. Just opinions which I don't share.

I do understand that progress has been very slow, but no one is helping by putting off new players from joining in CW.

I do not know if your an alt or truly new here. I am glad you like it to each his own and MWO is here so folks have fun. However alot of us are not happy with CW. Between the wait times, the choke points, the still inbalance (Clan and IS) and PGI's inability to present what they promised 3 years ago, has left a bitter taste in quite a few mouths.

There is a reason the population has plummeted over the last year or so, and its very evident.

I am glad you enjoy playing it. However what they said they were going to deliver and what they actually delivered are two very very different things.

#22 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:30 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 November 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

It is all about finding a decent group vs playing with pugs. The difference is like day and night. Once I finish eliting my Blackjacks, I am going to play CW for a while.

Oh, and Boreal Vault is the worst CW map ever.

It IS that simple. The hardest part is finding your factions TS hub and taking that first step in sayingl "Hi guys, got room?"

#23 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:40 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 November 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

It is all about finding a decent group vs playing with pugs. The difference is like day and night. Once I finish eliting my Blackjacks, I am going to play CW for a while.

Oh, and Boreal Vault is the worst CW map ever.

I had my best game ever on Boreal Vault the other day.
2500 damage, 1600 score. Sadly don't have the screenshot handy right now.
Mind you that was as the attacker with a PUG team.
(and yes, the enemy pugs had even less clue than my team. Sniping back at 1000m with medium lasers :-D)

In general, it can be fun (easy) as the defender, but it's usually a slaughter for the attackers (except if you find a nice spot with a nice fitting and are allowed to wreak havoc for 20 minutes :D)

#24 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:57 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 23 November 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

CW is only a SHADOW of what was promised 3 years ago. Many of us are still extremely ticked that this POS mode has not had any major upgrades since they launched it.

There is literally NO reason to play it.

I was more dissappointed at the promise that they were working on it and once it got delivered how shallow it was.

It's terrible. In my opinion it was a clear example of how much (minimal effort) was being put into. The map of IS and all is great but that's about it. It's just another shallow 'mode' just like as Assault, Conquest and Skirmish whereabout Conquest is the most fun one because instead of deathballing around some part of the maps are being used.

This game has no depth at all. Previous turrets on Assault didnt do or add any immersion. And i expect the new gamemode to be that as well. If i am wrong, i would be suprised.

Why else are we still running the same thing for years? The gamemodes could have been so much more, but every time i play one of these gamemodes it reminds me how much potential is wasted.

Like everything else... could been much more, better and have potential to be a true Mechwarrior game.

Am i saying that C.W. or the whole game sucks? No, but i'm being realistic unlike other who are still seeing gold and rainbows after years that this game will continue to waste potential and will never be the mechwarrior game where everyone is/was hoping for.

C.W. isnt fixed by one patch. C.W. has basic fundemental problems which you don't fix with patches. It seeks attention to be completely overhauled and start over to get it right from day one.

Edited by Sarlic, 24 November 2015 - 05:18 AM.

#25 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:07 AM

View PostMuddy Funster, on 23 November 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

So I finally took a dive into CW after almost 2500 public queue matches in the 3-4 months I've been playing MWO. Wasn't expecting to have much fun because of the complaining about groups, maps and waiting times, so I didn't rush and built up my drop deck, plus much of but not all of the modules I needed.

Barring the one free win we had due to no enemy team turning up, I've been a part of I think 8 losses. Some due to being up against organized groups like RDS or CWI, others just being out fought by pug clans.

But I have no complaints and not going to say anything derogatory about it apart from one problem I agree with that I've seen posted here before. The maps. Some of them look great, but there are too few strategical choices and every game is forced through the same routes. Can't really say how to fix that because a more open battlefield would give organized groups a much bigger advantage, but I'd like to see some changes there, especially on a few maps where the choke points are incredibly tight. Perhaps bigger choke points, tunnels (like in frozen city), bridges and even destructible buildings to clear a path, all converging through the same large choke point, would give far more options.

Other than that I'm really enjoying CW, even with the seemingly endless losses. Our pugs aren't falling over and dying for the most part, we're putting up good fights and even pushing organized groups to the point where we may snatch a win. It's all about fun for me, win or lose, as long as we fight well, therefore having fun, I'm not finding CW frustrating at all. I'd like to see CW, at some point in the future be what MWO is, instead of the current public matches, because it is far more fun than that, and dropping with 4 'mechs and fighting for 20+ minutes feels so much more like a proper war.

So more or less the conclusion that most of us came to when starting to play CW.

Unfortunately I think you'll quickly find that, due to those same reasons you mention, the mode gets very old very quickly. ;)

#26 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 23 November 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Id like the Base to be attackable from all sides and the attacker could chose to drop anywhere around the base on the first drop, then it's locked there. Would liven up the gameplay, would actually have do some real recon if you don't want to be rushed from one side without proper defence.

For something like that, maps should be at least 9X bigger.

Meh! I can already think of 2:
  • forced to attack an entrenched enemy
  • forced to defend a fixed position with no way of escaping

#27 Brollocks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 153 posts
  • LocationStomping Mechticles

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 24 November 2015 - 05:07 AM, said:

So more or less the conclusion that most of us came to when starting to play CW.

Unfortunately I think you'll quickly find that, due to those same reasons you mention, the mode gets very old very quickly. ;)

You are likely correct and I really do understand that, but the constant complaints on the forum about it being pointless and not worth playing, et cetera, are putting off newer players from even trying it. It's a lot of effort to prepare for, if you don't want to have a horrible time in trial or under skilled 'mechs lacking the required modules for optimal performance.

Now that PGI are making more effort into building up the mode perhaps older players should change their tune a little. You're bored of it, you don't like it, it's not good enough and it's pointless. We get that, but if it's ever going to be successful in your eyes you all need the rest of the player base to take notice of it and at least partly move away from public queue matches. Telling everyone how bad it is and not to bother with it isn't the best way of moving forward.

#28 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostCoolant, on 23 November 2015 - 09:10 PM, said:

So glad the OP made up their own mind and not poisoned by yours. How does it feel to have no negative influence at all in some players? Powerless?

Glad you enjoy it OP, if not for the long games I would play more. When I have played, I've had a blast.

That's great but for every OP, there are 50 others who choose not to play CW for various reasons. I waited years for it...then was disappointed by the implementation. Maybe PGI will figure things out and get people playing...hopefully that lance combat 4 on 4 gets put in soon.

I guess MWO is like giving some dirt track guys a limited budget and expecting them to compete against Formula 1 teams on a track. Not completely PGI's fault as not everyone can be a superstar...

#29 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 24 November 2015 - 03:58 AM, said:

I do not know if your an alt or truly new here. I am glad you like it to each his own and MWO is here so folks have fun. However alot of us are not happy with CW. Between the wait times, the choke points, the still inbalance (Clan and IS) and PGI's inability to present what they promised 3 years ago, has left a bitter taste in quite a few mouths.

There is a reason the population has plummeted over the last year or so, and its very evident.

I am glad you enjoy playing it. However what they said they were going to deliver and what they actually delivered are two very very different things.

CW is the perfect opportunity to create a Clan vs. IS balancing system via:
  • game modes
  • drop weight
  • respawn size (as reinforcements)
  • victory conditions
  • Mech construction rules
  • weapon attributes and mechanics
  • equipment attributes and mechanics
  • reward system
  • etc. etc. etc.
instead of the old, tired, and so far futile ton-for-ton and mech-for-mech attempts being done so far.

Edited by Mystere, 24 November 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#30 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

Wait for a CW event and then report back.

CW can be sooo much more. Same game mode from two sides equates to winning/defending a planet? Really? Is that all we get?

Have to see if CW Beta 3.0 finally gives us a dynamic campaign to defend/attack a planet and maybe some semblance that what we are doing matters . Until then current pug game mode #4 will not be queued up by me.

#31 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

The short of it is PGI chose to pick an attack/defend gametype relying on Terrain shaping to enforce that. It worked well until they removed/nerfed LRMs so horribly in January 2015. LRMs can counter Terrain for attack or defense and are used by PUGs just as well as 12 mans so they leveled the odds quite a bit. With the removal of LRMs as a threat 2015 became pure Laser-Vomit meta and 12 mans focus-firing Lasers on Comms always beats the PUG teams. CW needs PUG teams to function, but if there is no chance to win vs 12 mans they won't be there.

Conversely CW could switch to a gametype where both teams have the same objective and the Terrain is neutral.

#32 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

I agree with the OP. What there is of the Galactic war map is great. It consists of a few half done maps and one mode. All of which I think are extremely well done. I totally disagree with the detractors. The dropships are amazing. Nothing like that has been in a MechWarrior game yet that I know of.

I have had a lot of great battles with "faction play" (grrr) Looking forward to phase 3 alot.

I am not being sarcastic either. I really think its headed in a great direction. Maybe some players are not aware of where it looks to be going. Its just far far from done at the moment is all.

Edited by Johnny Z, 24 November 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#33 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:27 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 24 November 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

The short of it is PGI chose to pick an attack/defend gametype relying on Terrain shaping to enforce that. It worked well until they removed/nerfed LRMs so horribly in January 2015. LRMs can counter Terrain for attack or defense and are used by PUGs just as well as 12 mans so they leveled the odds quite a bit. With the removal of LRMs as a threat 2015 became pure Laser-Vomit meta and 12 mans focus-firing Lasers on Comms always beats the PUG teams. CW needs PUG teams to function, but if there is no chance to win vs 12 mans they won't be there.

Conversely CW could switch to a gametype where both teams have the same objective and the Terrain is neutral.

I'm still trying to figure out what change (ninja or otherwise) you are referring to with LRMs since they have been left untouched since a slight damage nerf and speed change (the latter of which occurred sometime last year)... both of which occurred in 2014 to my possibly faulty recollection.

#34 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

I should let you know that I was involved in a CW match where the Clan side had ejected 8 mechs of their first wave, making it 40 vs. 48 (3 stars vs. 4 lances, as per Lore), and the clans still stomped the IS forces.

Baka dezgra wannabe trashborn surat, that is not even close to lore. Were you reading some other wannabe trashborn's diary in how they dreamed their battles would be conducted? The reality is the batchall would have the bidding drop to around a Binary (2 Stars) plus or minus a Point or two vs a re-enforced company.

Tis sad to see such a lowly form of stravag trying to add things together.

:)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 November 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#35 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:21 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 24 November 2015 - 09:27 PM, said:

I'm still trying to figure out what change (ninja or otherwise) you are referring to with LRMs since they have been left untouched since a slight damage nerf and speed change (the latter of which occurred sometime last year)... both of which occurred in 2014 to my possibly faulty recollection.

I think what happened was they changed the angle for LRMs to hit the center torso of mechs to be within about 5 degrees of straight on, on either side, changed from the 20-30 degrees it had been. Whatever, now mechs have essentially LRM magnets in their shoulders and I am laughing here because PGI thinks players can't just turn the mech's torso into slow moving LRMs? LRMs hitting shoulders gives mechs zombie-powers to absorb them.

I used LRMs a lot so I noticed the change instantly. Obviously everyone else did because the persistent whining of missile-haters suddenly stopped, January 2015. Prior to that there were about 3-5 constant, I hate LRM threads on the forums. That's normal though becuase half the players think LRMs should be removed, that they are cheats. When LRMs are working you should always expect half the players to be asking for them to be removed. That's always how MechWarrior's LRMs are perceived, but that just means they are working.

#36 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

Been fun for me even with the constant losses. I hated hated hated it when it came out. Then I got into with with the Turkayid event. Then went away for awhile and now back after the last CW event. I just like the strategy and seeing more than pew pew pew take place. Watching what the other enemy team does ( usually the top comp teams on Clan side ) and how to react. It's a tough life on the IS CW side. Sometimes I think the Clan players get bored with the constant winning...lol. Overall I love the positive leaders on our side that coordinate on TS and push our teams forward. It's nice to see and love to see the tactics they employ. Sometimes they work sometimes we fail miserably but at least someone is leading and has a plan which is what I play for.

#37 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:40 PM

Would like to see more puggers like the OP in the game, 0 whining and one great attitude +1 OP.

#38 Chrome Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

That is literally an untenable statement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users