Damaging Lights (Or Not)

51 replies to this topic

#1 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

When you put an assault and a light into a 1 vs 1 fight in 80% the light wins i am sure.
In the other 20% the assault barely survived (except he has large ammount of streaks)
How is this possible?
I am sure that PGI uses the same damage code they use for friendly fire.
So that only (not sure about the numbers but something like that) 40%-50% of
the actual damage that was dealt are applied to the enemy light.
Its obvious that this is the case when you looking at the armor analyzer of a light mech
under fire.
This shoudnt be the case and is a huge factor that makes assaults nearly useless
in most cases in sayed 1 vs 1.Sure, maybie lights woudnt be played as much as now
but in reality their role shoudnt be hunting lone assaults and tear them down without
fearing of getting wrecked instantly by facing big weapons with low armor and internal structure
health, what shoud be the case by most Assault Mech loadouts when damage
woud apply properly.
And if you be honest, when i piloting a light and i see an atlas of direwolf alone i dont have much fear to catch a leathal blow by them, cause even a full aplha wont hurt me that much.
Even duall gauss hits i absorb mostly absorb magically.

So my opinion is make lights behave like lights, applying the damage they take correctly
without any magic aid, most likely friendly fire code.

#2 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:20 AM

View Postshr84, on 24 November 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

When you put an assault and a light into a 1 vs 1 fight in 80% the light wins i am sure.
In the other 20% the assault barely survived (except he has large ammount of streaks)
How is this possible?
I am sure that PGI uses the same damage code they use for friendly fire.
So that only (not sure about the numbers but something like that) 40%-50% of
the actual damage that was dealt are applied to the enemy light.
Its obvious that this is the case when you looking at the armor analyzer of a light mech
under fire.
This shoudnt be the case and is a huge factor that makes assaults nearly useless
in most cases in sayed 1 vs 1.Sure, maybie lights woudnt be played as much as now
but in reality their role shoudnt be hunting lone assaults and tear them down without
fearing of getting wrecked instantly by facing big weapons with low armor and internal structure
health, what shoud be the case by most Assault Mech loadouts when damage
woud apply properly.
And if you be honest, when i piloting a light and i see an atlas of direwolf alone i dont have much fear to catch a leathal blow by them, cause even a full aplha wont hurt me that much.
Even duall gauss hits i absorb mostly absorb magically.

So my opinion is make lights behave like lights, applying the damage they take correctly
without any magic aid, most likely friendly fire code.

There is no "friendly fire" code that reduces damage.
If you are not doing full damage it's because you didn't hit the target. That could be because of:
A ) Aim
B ) Hit registration
C ) Hit Boxes
D ) Lag

There is no magic light shield and the usual reasons for damage not applying are a combination of A and B.

#3 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:33 AM

Light pilots don´t complain all the time although piloting a Light is the most demanding thing in this game.

#4 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

I take it OP's first language is not English.

I also assume he's talking about a Cheetah or something.

OP, next match, take a Jenner, and stand in front of a Dire whale.

Tell me how long you last.

#5 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:40 AM

Lights definitely take full damage. I was putting holes in them with my Zeus and Mauler repeatedly yesterday.

For a while I was convinced that something was wrong with Cheetahs, but after slowing down and spending more time observing I realized that it's just aiming. Trying to track fast moving lateral targets, especially with torso weapons, usually results in a fair amount of shots falling behind the mech.

That said, 1v1 in a head-on fight an assault will murder a light every time. Lights need to use their speed and size to evade shots rather than outright tank them, whereas an assault will need to use positioning to keep the light in their front arc. If a light has the opportunity to get shots off on an assault's rear armor they should absolutely get the kill.

#6 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:43 AM

To the OP, while I am sure english is not your native language, your understanding of the game needs a bit of help

3/4 of what you posted is not true.

First and foremost the food chain is suppose to go like this

Mediums > Lights > Assaults > Heavies > Mediums

Lights are suppose to be the direct hard counter to assaults. Sadly this is not the case. An assault can face his rear in under 2 seconds and bring his weapons to bear on the light to destroy him in one shot.

60% of my assault fights come from the assault player not even realizing I am stripping his back armor out and turning him Cherry red, folks do not pay attention and they die

The other 40% is an assault player who knows how to play an assault and I am dead.

One is skill the other is lack there of. Now I admit the holy trinity of lights mechs are hard to kill due to damage spread. However as someone posted above, go take a Jenner out now and tell me how long you last. The hit box "fix" made that mech almost un-playable as now we have 30 points of armor on our entire mech to protect us, one good alpha and we are toast

Edited by Darian DelFord, 24 November 2015 - 08:49 AM.

#7 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

Lights have such a huge edge against Assaults only if one of the following applies:
  • the assault pilot is bad at aiming.
  • the fight is in dense terrain
This is my experience, at least.

#8 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

I do understand the frustration Assault pilots feel. They forked over huge sums of cash/c-bills to get their Mech battle-ready. They have HUGE alphas. They sacrificed so much speed, that even a bad drop location can be truly traumatic. And then along comes some pipsqueak, cut-rate excuse for two guns on a pair of legs, and tears out their back ten points of armor, and they die, alone, far from the team that abandoned them.

Sadly, it's just not true. But when lights do well or even get lucky, it's far more notable and exciting. Personally, I see lots of Assaults with astounding tracking and torso turn rate. YMMV.

It's important to remember, except in CW, tonnage has NOTHING to do with the game. It's just a style choice--NOT an inherent value choice. In this form of MW, a light needs to be 100% as capable as any other class at winning.

Imagine if we could take 2-4 Lights for every Assault? That would be awesome!

Edited by Sethliopod, 24 November 2015 - 08:57 AM.

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:28 AM

This...is just so wrong. Any competent Assault will ruin an equally skilled Light. If the Assault is bad (case in point), the Light will win, but that's the case for any mech in the game.

Bads will be Bad.

Learning to aim is an important thing to do. Hit the Lights, don't miss them. Want circumstantial evidence that supports my claim? Here, I miss the Cheetah with half my shots, but he still dies in 30 seconds.

Get someone who doesn't miss, he'd be dead within 12 seconds. This is the most powerful Light were talking about too, one that is hard to 1 shot with any combination of weapons.

You'll notice, OP, that Light mechs are not popular for a reason: They die easily. You make a mistake, you die. The other guy knows how to shoot? You die.

Edited by Mcgral18, 24 November 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#10 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

OP, have you ever played lights? Reading your post it would seem you have not.

#11 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

Because most assault pilots are morons who flail about trying to hit the light mech who is using his speed and more importantly acceleration to stay right behind him where he can't get one of those instadeath alphas to land.

Wanna know how to foil a light? Put your back against a wall. We'll leave for another target rather than fight a fight we can't win.

#12 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

Light mechs take reduced damage against less skilled opponents. This is known and should be common knowledge. I recommend tweeting Paul that mech hitboxes should be enbiggened depending about player Tier rating so that it's more fair to people who can't track tiny fast moving limbs.

#13 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

Yeah no.

A good assault pilot can hold off 2 good light pilots at least long enough for their team to come and assist, or cripple and/or kill at least one of them.

Heck, one time on Canyon Network I noticed a light pack trying to flank behind me. 2 ACH's and a Locust, all piloted by some decent players, were trying to get the sneak kill on me. I never gave them the opening they were looking for. I killed one of the ACH's, crippled the other ACH's leg, and caused the Locust to flee in terror.

Saying the light will win 80% of the time is just flat out wrong. If the assault is even remotely good, a single light is not a threat.

#14 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:47 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 24 November 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

Yeah no.

A good assault pilot can hold off 2 good light pilots at least long enough for their team to come and assist, or cripple and/or kill at least one of them.

Heck, one time on Canyon Network I noticed a light pack trying to flank behind me. 2 ACH's and a Locust, all piloted by some decent players, were trying to get the sneak kill on me. I never gave them the opening they were looking for. I killed one of the ACH's, crippled the other ACH's leg, and caused the Locust to flee in terror.

Saying the light will win 80% of the time is just flat out wrong. If the assault is even remotely good, a single light is not a threat.

But yet lights are the scourge of every assault player and the lights should be damned to the eternal abyss of hell.

No wonder lights keep getting nerfed. Everyone wants their assaults to be kings!!

#15 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 24 November 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

But yet lights are the scourge of every assault player and the lights should be damned to the eternal abyss of hell.

No wonder lights keep getting nerfed. Everyone wants their assaults to be kings!!

Just another instance of bad players being bad. They know nothing about positioning or situational awareness, and think they should be the most powerful unit on the battlefield without needing any of the prerequisite skill sets required to be an effective assault pilot, one of which being how to fight lights.

There are very few "true" assault pilots. There are even fewer "true" light pilots. A true light pilot facing a true assault pilot will lose nearly every time.

There's a reason you never see lights trying to "ninja kill" the assaults in competitive play. Only the best assault pilot/s on the team will be sitting in those slots.

#16 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:20 AM

Yet another "assaults are useless because they aren't an I win button against everything else" thread... meanwhile the light queue still routinely dips into single digits.

#17 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:28 AM

The only time lights can have a lucky drop on my assault is when I am in a 4PPC Stalker or if I am already cored. Or if they are in a wolfpack and can harass me from multiple sides, although that really stretches the definition of lucky. Any other time a lights shows within range bits and pieces start flying soon enough. Maybe with agility nerfs tracking lights in DWFs and such would become trickier, but right now lights have to work just as hard for every kill as everyone else.

#18 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 24 November 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

Just another instance of bad players being bad. They know nothing about positioning or situational awareness, and think they should be the most powerful unit on the battlefield without needing any of the prerequisite skill sets required to be an effective assault pilot, one of which being how to fight lights.

There are very few "true" assault pilots. There are even fewer "true" light pilots. A true light pilot facing a true assault pilot will lose nearly every time.

There's a reason you never see lights trying to "ninja kill" the assaults in competitive play. Only the best assault pilot/s on the team will be sitting in those slots.

You don't see it in competitive play because assault mechs don't get left behind or get isolated anywhere near as frequently meaning it's not just one lone dire wolf you've got to get behind and kill.

#19 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 24 November 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

You don't see it in competitive play because assault mechs don't get left behind or get isolated anywhere near as frequently meaning it's not just one lone dire wolf you've got to get behind and kill.

This is true as well. However you do not see Jenners in Compe decks either.

#20 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:18 PM

Playing on River City and noticed that our King Crab got left behind and was engaged by 2 lights. As another assault I was too far away to help, and called for our light to assists, but they ignored my request.

I apologized to the King Crab and left him to die while we engaged the main enemy force. 3 minutes later we've crushed the main enemy force and I check the minimap only to see that the KGC had survived and managed to kill both lights, one of which was an ACH with ECM.

"Don't try and fight an assault head on" was all he had to say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users