Balance

64 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

So, I wanted this mech - but I just couldn't bring myself to buy yet another unknown quantity with PGI's track record on balance, mech hitboxes, etc.

I really wanted the Marauder, or the KingCrab-apult as it looks like in these images: https://mwomercs.com...countdown-day-7

However with no idea where the hitboxes would be, and my guesstimate of what they might look like, along with a huge PTS rebalance and no info on Marauder quirks - I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope it's a stellar mech and that I'll be dying to get one the day it's released for cbills.

So, what do others think those hitboxes are going to be like? I'm concerned they are going to have the worst parts of being a Catapult or Stalker, combined with the worst part of being a King Crab.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 24 November 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#2 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 24 November 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

So, I wanted this mech - but I just couldn't bring myself to buy yet another unknown quantity with PGI's track record on balance, mech hitboxes, etc.

I really wanted the Marauder, or the KingCrab-apult as it looks like in these images: https://mwomercs.com...countdown-day-7

However with no idea where the hitboxes would be, and my guesstimate of what they might look like, along with a huge PTS rebalance and no info on Marauder quirks - I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope it's a stellar mech and that I'll be dying to get one the day it's released for cbills.

So, what do others think those hitboxes are going to be like? I'm concerned they are going to have the worst parts of being a Catapult or Stalker, combined with the worst part of being a King Crab.

Felt the exact same way so I'm waiting too. The arms aren't big enough to shield well but, it could end up with the best quality of the Stalker and end up tanky as hell. We'll see.

#3 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:40 AM

The early adopter bonuses made picking up the $20 pack well worth it even if it turns out the MAD is a great big ole ball of suck. And if it doesn't suck, I can always upgrade the package later on. Sounds like a win/win to me. The 30 days premium time is $12 all by itself, plus about 12 mil worth of modules, 6.5mil c-bills straight up, AND 3 cockpit items? That's your $20 right there.

Plus the MAD gets an over the shoulder ballistic hard point, at least one, on all variants except one. It's bound to be at least half way decent for that alone. And if it does turn out to be so incredibly sucktastic I can't even bear to look at it anymore, I can sell them all and viola, 3 free empty mech bays, plus more Cbills from selling the MADs off. Win/win/win.

#4 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Bought it because it looks cool.
I'll find a way to make it work with whatever hitboxes and quirks it gets, and even if it sucks, i'll still be piloting the coolest mech around, so i won't care.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Bought it, but doubt I'll be impressed. Leary about hitboxes, and not in love with the looks.

#6 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 November 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

Bought it, but doubt I'll be impressed. Leary about hitboxes, and not in love with the looks.

Shouldnt you it refund it then?

I have no idea what to expect from the hitboxes. It could go on rediculous levels. It could go on levels of terribad.

If it's like the undersized Crab with about roughly the same hitboxes then it would a very decent mech.

Edited by Sarlic, 24 November 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#7 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 November 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

Understandable, PGI has been rather hit or miss on the hitboxes lately, if you'll pardon the pun. But like I mentioned previously, with the early adopter bonuses I'm not going to regret the $20 I dropped on it one way or the other.

#8 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

Some of you worry too much.

Would everyone be happier with walking boxes with equal sized and shaped torsos? Maybe even have each torso section a different color so you know exactly where to aim?

Chill out.

PGI will monitor the Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, and the IIC mechs as they arrive the battlefield and adjust accordingly if need be. In the mean time... just chill and quit CREATING drama.

#9 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

PGI will monitor the Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman, and the IIC mechs as they arrive the battlefield and adjust accordingly if need be. In the mean time... just chill and quit CREATING drama.

Oh really?

Just like the 1928371737171 mechs waiting for a other rescale and or a hitbox pass?

Well, i am totally relieved.

The DRAMA is there for a reason.

Edited by Sarlic, 24 November 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

View PostSarlic, on 24 November 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

Shouldnt you it refund it then?

I have no idea what to expect from the hitboxes. It could go on rediculous levels. It could go on levels of terribad.

If it's like the undersized Crab with about roughly the same hitboxes then it would a very decent mech.

Nope. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be impressed when I bought it. Early Adopter Rewards made it worth the dice roll. I don't tend to get over reactionary like some parts of the forums do. (well, not often, anyhow).

Just being honest, doubt any will be "metalord tier 1 ubermechs".... but I doubt the WHM or RFL will be either. Still have all 3 ordered, though on the RFL I settled for the basic pack.

#11 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

I'm guessing the hitboxes will look something like this. I drew it up in 5 minutes at work using paint. The orange in the side view is the RT.
Spoiler

I'm probably pretty off with the side view since that's a lot of CT visible, but on the other hand the front view has a tiny CT. That RT can be hit from virtually any angle with an weapon fit in it. Also has a bit of Executioner crotch going on.

Edited by LordMelvin, 24 November 2015 - 11:48 AM.

#12 William Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:46 AM

I bought it because the Maruader was my favorite 'Mech when I first played the game a long time ago and stayed my favorite 'Mech, beating out the Dire Wolf (#2). I will play this 'Mech and even if it is the most awful piece of garbage in this game, I will put in the time to get good enough with it to rain terror on the battlefield, just because it's my favorite 'Mech and this is the closest I'll get to piloting it. Now all PGI needs to do to get me to go full Kurita and abandon my CJF ways is introduce the Marauder II.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. To each his own.

#13 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostLordMelvin, on 24 November 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

I'm guessing the hitboxes will look something like this. I drew it up in 5 minutes at work using paint. The orange in the side view is the RT.
Spoiler

I'm probably pretty off with the side view since that's a lot of CT visible, but on the other hand the front view has a tiny CT. That RT can be hit from virtually any angle with an weapon fit in it. Also has a bit of Executioner crotch going on.

You're probably not too far off, but I think they might bring the STs down to cover the area between the underarm to the hip/waist, but even if they do, it still means it's likely you're going to be able to consistently hit the CT from practically any angle.

The good news is, that being the case your most common CoD will be CT coring, so you might as well run an XL.But we'll see, they might surprise us yet, for better or worse.

#14 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 24 November 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

You're probably not too far off, but I think they might bring the STs down to cover the area between the underarm to the hip/waist, but even if they do, it still means it's likely you're going to be able to consistently hit the CT from practically any angle.

The good news is, that being the case your most common CoD will be CT coring, so you might as well run an XL.But we'll see, they might surprise us yet, for better or worse.

I wouldn't run an XL in this if my life depended on it. The front angle has way too much ST exposure, and people are going to be hunting that RT to remove the majority of your firepower.

#15 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

View PostLordMelvin, on 24 November 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

Spoiler

If that's the hitboxes it'll be another mech I tell my friends to just shoot in the **** for easy coring.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

gonna be sad seeing people running 2PPC in the Right Arms, with an ac10 or the likes RT, and using the whole left side as a shield.

One more mech for minmax BS to ruin. (and I ain't hating the playahs, I am hating the game....or at least how the mechanics translated.)

#17 Valkyrie73

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

I know Russ has tweeted that he knows how important this mech is to people so they are going to try and make it special.

#18 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 November 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

gonna be sad seeing people running 2PPC in the Right Arms, with an ac10 or the likes RT, and using the whole left side as a shield.

One more mech for minmax BS to ruin. (and I ain't hating the playahs, I am hating the game....or at least how the mechanics translated.)

I find metamechs giant bullcrap. But that's my opinion. I believe it have caused more troubles then doing any good.

I appreciate the guy's effort, but that's about it.

I understand tutorials and other things. But i believe people should expeirment and fiddle with own equipment instead of browse X website and put X equipement to 'learn the game'. And then look further of optimise your own builds.

No. You don't learn any usage by doing this.

Edited by Sarlic, 24 November 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#19 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 November 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

The really frustrating bit is that if BT were more realistic.... that wouldn't have been a bad design concept. A shield side and weapon side given the humanoid ability to respond to incoming fire that tanks and such do not have.

Personally....

heartbreaking as it is, as much as I love the Whammy and the Maddy, I refunded both. The decision to go back to quirks (which we already know never worked) and effectively abandon IW as anything relevant to the game has left me looking at another year of MW:O exactly like the last 3 and that's not something I found appealing, so I guess I'm out. 90 days from now people will be back to the exact same complaints they had 120 days ago or 480 days ago and there are too many good games coming out for me to invest time in that.

I hope the Marauder is stunning. I like the look visually. While I don't think it'll be anything like top meta I think that it'll be above average and run T3 to T2. I think at 75 tons with the arms relatively high and the ballistic over the shoulder you could run it aggressively with an old-school face-punch style loadout. I'd have gone AC20, 2LL 2 ML and a STD300, used the narrow forward profile and bull-rushed FTW. If the torso is as narrow as it looks that'll actually have both arms relatively close together. That means that at close range you'll still have an easy time putting the AC and lasers on the same target. Also if the hitboxes are not terrible it'll spread damage very well from front-on; you won't have to twist much.

A lot of good performance potential in the MAD IMO. I hope it plays out well for you guys. The Warhammer is going to be terrible but, well, it's the Whammy.

#20 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 November 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

Personally....

heartbreaking as it is, as much as I love the Whammy and the Maddy, I refunded both. The decision to go back to quirks (which we already know never worked) and effectively abandon IW as anything relevant to the game has left me looking at another year of MW:O exactly like the last 3 and that's not something I found appealing, so I guess I'm out. 90 days from now people will be back to the exact same complaints they had 120 days ago or 480 days ago and there are too many good games coming out for me to invest time in that.

I completely agree with you.

And i appreciate you for writing this out unless others seeing rainbow and pots of golds.

16 days left for me before i throw in the towel.

Edited by Sarlic, 24 November 2015 - 12:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users