64 replies to this topic

#41 BlackDrakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

I think its going to be like the Crab (not king crab) hitboxes, kinda weird but tanky.

#42 Rabtar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:22 PM

I like what I'm seeing. The arms don't look to low compared to the cockpit, it still has a long (enough) barrel for the cannon and if that's a Catapract burning on the ground it looks reasonably well scaled as well. Taking a closer look at the video I don't think this is a actual variant. While it still has the shoulder cannon the laser fire is coming from right below the cannon. So my guess is that this is a pure test build that has every possible hardpoint represented on it at once. Or this is something like the pictures of the Black Knight with a ballistic weapon on it's arm that were going around for a while.

#43 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:29 PM

My first experience of mechwarrior video games was the Mechwarrior 2 demo disk, so the Puma (aka the adder) is my all time nostalgia mech. Played that single, PC Gamer supplied mission for days.

Right behind that mech is the Marauder. From Btech to playing MW1 after my MW2 demo experience, the Marauder is ingrained in my memories. Been running PPCs since closed beta almost in preparation of the MAD. Classic, 2xPPC, 2xMedLas, AC5 for me on all three. Got lucky and was able to claim the pack as a b-day gift and can't wait to drop in it.

In a side note, I'm hoping the MAD has the same hit box "issue" as the crow: center mass flanked by large armpits.

Edited by Dracol, 24 November 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#44 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:21 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 24 November 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

Bishop put it correctly just above you:

"Don't hate the players, hate the game."

It means that you can't blame players' reaction to a game's mechanics.

Not this again. Sorry i disagree. Not going to make a whole story out of it. But for some reasons in my view i 'hate' some players because they were a cause/role/factor as well.

Carry on ;). Dont want to derail the thread.

Edited by Sarlic, 25 November 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#45 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:57 AM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 24 November 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

Bought it because it looks cool.
I'll find a way to make it work with whatever hitboxes and quirks it gets, and even if it sucks, i'll still be piloting the coolest mech around, so i won't care.

^

Who cares about hitboxes, arms for shielding or quirks of one of the most iconic battlemechs ever?
I'd make it work even if it had the worst hitboxes, lowest hanging arms and a bunch of negative quirks.
It's still a Marauder and it will cause stuff to go boom. :P
Even if it's only street lamps and trees...

#46 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:49 AM

I ordered it but seeing that clip I really dislike the geometry on it.Too much like a King Crab for me.
I'm not "feeling" it.

#47 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostRabtar, on 24 November 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

I like what I'm seeing. The arms don't look to low compared to the cockpit, it still has a long (enough) barrel for the cannon and if that's a Catapract burning on the ground it looks reasonably well scaled as well. Taking a closer look at the video I don't think this is a actual variant. While it still has the shoulder cannon the laser fire is coming from right below the cannon. So my guess is that this is a pure test build that has every possible hardpoint represented on it at once. Or this is something like the pictures of the Black Knight with a ballistic weapon on it's arm that were going around for a while.

Could have the bounty hunter head hardpoint, which is what I thought initially.

That 3R will make a nice AC5 platform. I think you even have enough tonnage for a STD 300, 3 AC5s, and 4 MLs. Might be a little short on ammo though I can't remember.

#48 Rabtar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

@ Gas Guzzler: I think you're right, it may indeed be the Bounty Hunter. I had completely missed the head laser on it. If true that makes that cannon on the one in the video actually a goose. So there is still a chance it will have a weedy AC/5s after all. We will have to wait and see.

#49 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 November 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

The really frustrating bit is that if BT were more realistic.... that wouldn't have been a bad design concept. A shield side and weapon side given the humanoid ability to respond to incoming fire that tanks and such do not have.

Personally....

heartbreaking as it is, as much as I love the Whammy and the Maddy, I refunded both. The decision to go back to quirks (which we already know never worked) and effectively abandon IW as anything relevant to the game has left me looking at another year of MW:O exactly like the last 3 and that's not something I found appealing, so I guess I'm out. 90 days from now people will be back to the exact same complaints they had 120 days ago or 480 days ago and there are too many good games coming out for me to invest time in that.

I hope the Marauder is stunning. I like the look visually. While I don't think it'll be anything like top meta I think that it'll be above average and run T3 to T2. I think at 75 tons with the arms relatively high and the ballistic over the shoulder you could run it aggressively with an old-school face-punch style loadout. I'd have gone AC20, 2LL 2 ML and a STD300, used the narrow forward profile and bull-rushed FTW. If the torso is as narrow as it looks that'll actually have both arms relatively close together. That means that at close range you'll still have an easy time putting the AC and lasers on the same target. Also if the hitboxes are not terrible it'll spread damage very well from front-on; you won't have to twist much.

A lot of good performance potential in the MAD IMO. I hope it plays out well for you guys. The Warhammer is going to be terrible but, well, it's the Whammy.

They tried to do something different. Everyone acted like children. Some even admitting to not having tried the PTR, but still apparently considering their opinion valid enough to argue against the changes. So looks like we're back to the same thing we started with.

Because if it's not the same exact thing, they cry it's not the same exact thing. And then cry that we're still stuck in the same problems! This is where I wish PGI would just give everyone the finger and just do whatever. But they cantttttttt. Because if they do. Then everyone will revenge spam the forums and all steam reviews saying "It was so good back when!"

#50 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 25 November 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

Could have the bounty hunter head hardpoint, which is what I thought initially.

That 3R will make a nice AC5 platform. I think you even have enough tonnage for a STD 300, 3 AC5s, and 4 MLs. Might be a little short on ammo though I can't remember.

It better be able to. I can rock that build on my Jager, so I'll be disappointed if I cannot in my Marauder.

#51 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 25 November 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

It better be able to. I can rock that build on my Jager, so I'll be disappointed if I cannot in my Marauder.

The problem is having to take a STD engine to fit the 3 AC5s. Jager can XL.

#52 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

I have to admit I'm curious how having multiple ballistics in the ST is going to look. Will we get multiple over the shoulder barrels? Will it all just shoot out the one barrel? Will some fall down to some lower mount point? I've been wondering this from the moment I saw some variants got multiple ST ballistics mounts.

#53 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:51 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 25 November 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

I have to admit I'm curious how having multiple ballistics in the ST is going to look. Will we get multiple over the shoulder barrels? Will it all just shoot out the one barrel? Will some fall down to some lower mount point? I've been wondering this from the moment I saw some variants got multiple ST ballistics mounts.

I have a hunch that the 2nd will show up to the right of the 1st, and the 3rd will show up further to the right and down a hair, similar to the 3rd energy hard point on the King Crab right shoulder.

#54 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

.....I'm just continuing to vibrate and giggle as the days count down..... and I think the wife said I mumble "mad, mad, mad" in my sleep now :D

I don't get all the negativity and slamming getting posted about a chassis that hasn't even been driven yet? :blink:
Or better, the post about "I'm refunding now that I've seen what it looks like... " Ummm... ahhh.... it pretty much looks like a ..... wait for it... a Marauder?? :ph34r:

Dunno, but I love the looks. Iove the brief animations sneak peaks, and can't wait for her to get here!

#55 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostLordMelvin, on 24 November 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

I wouldn't run an XL in this if my life depended on it. The front angle has way too much ST exposure, and people are going to be hunting that RT to remove the majority of your firepower.

Pretty much this is what killed it for me. No adjustments to I.S. XL durability essentially mean the clan will maintain the speed and firepower edge with little trade off. A clan engine losing a paultry 20% speed compared to an I.S. mech blowing up? you do the math on this.

Essentially why take the maruader when you have the Timberwolf and soon the Orion IIc?

#56 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostLykaon, on 25 November 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Essentially why take the maruader when you have the Timberwolf and soon the Orion IIc?

I get your point, and it's a fair personal stance. :)

For me, I'm a flavour player (I mean, my other mechs are the Zeus and Wolverine... arguably neither of which get much love or positive rep ;) ) and I just really, really like the MAD from table top days, books, to now. I don't view either of our reasoning better than the other, I was just interested in general.

I'll drive the MAD, drive the hell out of her, and drive her some more just so I can be driving a MAD. Bent in the head? Probably. But I know whats I likes and good mech or bad, I'll make her sing out on the field and have a blast.

(oh.. and also, I'm pretty much all IS driver so a Madcat wouldn't fit my hanger anyway ;) )

Morg

#57 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:43 PM

Pretty much this is what killed it for me. No adjustments to I.S. XL durability essentially mean the clan will maintain the speed and firepower edge with little trade off. A clan engine losing a paultry 20% speed compared to an I.S. mech blowing up? you do the math on this.

Clan-tech being superior to IS-tech...Posted Image

Because they are no Marauder.

#58 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

Why take Marauder instead of Timberwolf? Because clanmechs can take a long walk off a short pier as far as I'm concerned. Screw clantech! IS or Nothing!

#59 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:45 AM

Have you tried mechs like the black knight on PTS 4, where the IS XL vulnerability is mitigated by structure quirks?

Basically the direction seems to be that clan mechs retain their advantage of surviving a ST loss, but IS mech will be harder to take out STs on in the first place.

I personally like that direction because it keeps the distinction between the factions, if the IS gets enough advantage in terms of more internal structure it can work because that little extra time with full firepower is a significant advantage even if you die once the ST goes.

Basically in a 1v1 it could look like this:
When the clan mech loses it's ST it survives but will be slower and have less weapons, an IS mech having taken the same amount of ST damage will not quite have lost the ST yet but it will be orange or red. So it still has that chance to capitalise on the clan mechs speed and firepower reduction with it's own full alphas/maneuverability before it dies. Sometimes the clan mech would get through that ST and kill the IS mech, and sometimes the IS mech will get the other ST or CT with it's intact firepower.

I think it can work out, PTS 4 looks like a good step forward in that regard, and if it does it's far more interesting than having identical engine mechanics between the factions.

Saying this as a complete IS loyalist btw.

Edited by Sjorpha, 26 November 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#60 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 November 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

gonna be sad seeing people running 2PPC in the Right Arms, with an ac10 or the likes RT, and using the whole left side as a shield.

One more mech for minmax BS to ruin. (and I ain't hating the playahs, I am hating the game....or at least how the mechanics translated.)

Was always going to be the case with the extreme customisation this game allows, just hoping BT keeps mechs ,mechs and not twitcher platforms

View PostValkyrie73, on 24 November 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

I know Russ has tweeted that he knows how important this mech is to people so they are going to try and make it special.

There is a special needs school not far from me, so should I try to get the MAD enrolled..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users